PDA

View Full Version : really bad, but comical read from some small-town Ohio rag

proudpittsburgher
01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
This guy is the eptiome of an idiot.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/high-schools/2009/01/23/sns012309spwizard.html

Why the Wizard hates the Steelers

By Brian Plasters

Staff Writer

Friday, January 23, 2009

I was shopping at a local superstore last weekend (actually, dragged there by my wife) when I noticed a woman wearing a yellow cap and black jacket.

The Steelers.

I kept shopping. Then a man passed me wearing a black cap with yellow trim. He didn't notice my scowl.

The Steelers.

I was at a boys basketball game when I saw Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu in the stands. Oh, wait, that wasn't them. That was two dudes wearing black and yellow jerseys.

The Steelers.

I'm a Bengals fan. Boomer Esiason, Carson Palmer and Anthony Munoz. I have a severe dislike of Joe Montana and Kimo von Oelhoffen, otherwise known as the two men most responsible for destroying the Bengals' best teams.

I don't begrudge the Pittsburgh Steelers any of their success this season. They might well win Super Bowl XLIII (43 for those not Roman), and good for them. Yet you will never see me cheer for the Steelers and Steely McBeam, their nefarious mascot. I will continue to root for the Bengals.

Why do I torment myself in this way?

If the perpetually bad Arizona Cardinals can make it to the Super Bowl, then so can the Bengals. I'll be watching in September as the Bengals make a push for Super Bowl XLIV (again, 44 for those not Roman).

As for you Steelers fans living in Springfield you're probably just riding their bandwagon, anyway.

Have you ever been to Heinz Field or Three Rivers Stadium? Could you point out Pittsburgh on a map?

There is no way you should be living in Springfield and rooting for the Steelers.

I don't care if you could throw a rock to Three Rivers Stadium from your childhood home, and you were somehow wrenched away from Pittsburgh to live here.

I don't care if you own Steelers' season tickets and drive four hours every Sunday to watch them play.

I don't care if you're related to Chuck Noll, if you even know who Chuck Noll is.

You live in Ohio. Act like it.

I know you're angry, Steelers fans. Who has the right to tell you, the best fans in the world, who to root for?

This column sure reads like I do.

Actually, we Bengals fans don't want you. Steelers fans are the most obnoxious people I know. It's like rooting for the New York Yankees or Boston Celtics.

You're taking the easy way out.

The next time the Bengals are good and you want to get on their bandwagon, I'll kick you off.

Contact this reporter at (937) 328-0366 or bplasters@coxohio.com.

frankthetank1
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
haha the last sentence shows how intelligent this guy is. the next time the bengals are good? it will never happen

proudpittsburgher
01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
haha the last sentence shows how intelligent this guy is. the next time the bengals are good? it will never happen

I saw that, and smiled. he's going to kick us off of the Bengals bandwagon. ROTF. This is the type of fan who thinks that when you move, you have to become a fan of that team.

frankthetank1
01-23-2009, 10:07 AM

I saw that, and smiled. he's going to kick us off of the Bengals bandwagon. ROTF. This is the type of fan who thinks that when you move, you have to become a fan of that team.

that is hillarious. a bengals fan would think that though. its funny he relates being a steeler fan with being a fan of the celtics and yankees. what do all of those teams have in common? they win!! writing that just proves his jealousy. what an idiot

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
For those not from the area, Springfield is between Columbus and Dayton. Not a very big town as you can imagine. Anyway, to his article...

Really? Last I checked this was a free country (at least for now, anyway) and I didn't know there was a rule that you had to change your sports teams if you moved away from that team's city. When our family moved from Detroit to Rochester, NY, I didn't give up being a Michigan fan, or suddenly start cheering for the Bills or Yankees. And when I moved here from Pittsburgh in 2000, I damn well didn't start rooting for the Buckeyes, Bungles, or Clowns. Just another poor Bungles fan jealous of the Steelers' success due to its ownership, staff, players, and fan support. :lol:

Chachi
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

It's funny to know that if this guy were to get a different job in say, Wisconsin, by his own logic, he would ditch his favorite Bungles and "hop on the bandwagon" of the Packers.

After all, if he lived in Wisconsin he would have to "act like it", right?

..and then he has the nerve to scold anyone who just happen to move there from far away and does what he says they must do, hop on the bungles bandwagon. He will kick them off.

This circular logic he professes goes nowhere......fast. :roll:

proudpittsburgher
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM

It's funny to know that if this guy were to get a different job in say, Wisconsin, by his own logic, he would ditch his favorite Bungles and "hop on the bandwagon" of the Packers.

..and then he has the nerve to scold anyone who just happen to move there from far away and does what he says they must do, hop on the bungles bandwagon. He will kick them off.

My first job in journalism took me to Kinston, North Carolina, a pretty small town about an hour inland. One of my co-workers there said something like, "I guess you will have to be a Panthers fan now, huh?" I just didn't understand that, but I grew up in Pittsburgh. It's such a foreign thought to me that I am borderline insulted by someone saying that to me.

Djfan
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM

You move there and have to start dating your sister or something?

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Is this guy saying that everyone in Ohio is supposed to be a loser like him and his team? That's just sad. There are 30 other teams that don't have orange in their uniforms and don't perpetually suck.

:bungalssuck :brownssuck

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I sent him an email. It was short and to the point:

Ha ha...you're a loser!

Go Steelers!!!!!

Can't wait to see if he replies! :lol:

Chavezz
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM

My first job in journalism took me to Kinston, North Carolina, a pretty small town about an hour inland. One of my co-workers there said something like, "I guess you will have to be a Panthers fan now, huh?" I just didn't understand that, but I grew up in Pittsburgh. It's such a foreign thought to me that I am borderline insulted by someone saying that to me.

Big city of Kinston huh? I'm in Greenville, it's about 30-35 minutes from there (I'm sure you know that though). I've been in NC for 10 years and spent probably 7 of them working there. Kinston is terrible, it really is, I call it the arm pit of NC. Hasn't changed much, graduation rate was hovering around 50% for lenoir county last I heard. Tells you everything you need to know about the area.

NC Steeler Fan
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Big city of Kinston huh? I'm in Greenville, it's about 30-35 minutes from there (I'm sure you know that though). I've been in NC for 10 years and spent probably 7 of them working there. Kinston is terrible, it really is, I call it the arm pit of NC. Hasn't changed much, graduation rate was hovering around 50% for lenoir county last I heard. Tells you everything you need to know about the area.

Actually, the armpit of NC would be Spring Lake, which is technically the armpit of Fayetteville, NC, and it doesn't get any lower than that!

How do I know? I grew up in Fayetteville (daughter of 82nd Airborne jumpmaster who was from Pittsburgh) but now reside in wonderful rural Chatham County 20 minutes south of Pittsboro, NC.

Coincidence? I don't think so! :tt1

feltdizz
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I could agree about the bandwagon fans but when he said "even if you move" he lost me....

My sister lives in Atlanta now and she said a co-worker yelled to her "The Steelers suck" after a bad loss (Philly game I think) as she was walking down the hall and it really had my sister PO'ed but she didn't respond. The same woman comes back and apologizes a half hour later...

She said she told another co-worker about what she just did and the guy warned her about how foul it was to say that to a Steeler fan. He was like.. "you better go back and let her know you didn't realize how disrespectful that was"

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I could agree about the bandwagon fans but when he said "even if you move" he lost me....

My sister lives in Atlanta now and she said a co-worker yelled to her "The Steelers suck" after a bad loss (Philly game I think) as she was walking down the hall and it really had my sister PO'ed but she didn't respond. The same woman comes back and apologizes a half hour later...

She said she told another co-worker about what she just did and the guy warned her about how foul it was to say that to a Steeler fan. He was like.. "you better go back and let her know you didn't realize how disrespectful that was"

When does that label come off? I declared myself a Steelers fan in '72 when I was 5 years old. That was before they had really done anything. Yet I get the "bandwagon" insult all the time despite the fact that I've been a die hard for going on 37 years now.

In my opinion, bandwagon fans don't stick with one team. They jump on with a team who is winning and ditch them for another winning team when the luster wears off.

Front running fans are fans of the same team but only really show their fandom when their team is doing well. Another name for fair weather fans.

True fans stick with their teams through thick and thin. I suffered miserably in the 80s when the Steelers, for the most part, sucked...yet I proudly wore their colors and refused to renounce them for the dreaded Green Bay Packers.

motter1975
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM

When does that label come off? I declared myself a Steelers fan in '72 when I was 5 years old. That was before they had really done anything. Yet I get the "bandwagon" insult all the time despite the fact that I've been a die hard for going on 37 years now.

In my opinion, bandwagon fans don't stick with one team. They jump on with a team who is winning and ditch them for another winning team when the luster wears off.

Front running fans are fans of the same team but only really show their fandom when their team is doing well. Another name for fair weather fans.

True fans stick with their teams through thick and thin. I suffered miserably in the 80s when the Steelers, for the most part, sucked...yet I proudly wore their colors and refused to renounce them for the dreaded Green Bay Packers.

To me, the below is the epitome of a bandwagon fan:

There's this guy that works at the pet store that we go to all the time. When we first started going there a few years ago, he sees me in my Steelers jacket, says "The Steelers SUCK!", so I asked him who his team was. He tells me he's a Ravens fan. To which I tell him I'm sorry, there's no accounting for taste, but to each his own. We talk sh*t back and forth for the season.

Then last year, I told him that it sucked to be him, since the Ravens suck this year. He tells me, "I'm not a Ravens fan anymore...I'm a Cowboys fan." I just laugh at him, call him a pathetic bandwagoner, and walk away.

This year, he starts talking about how his teams doing well. I told him I didn't think the Cowboys were all that to get excited about this year, and he tells me "I'm not a Cowboys fan, I'm a Ravens fan!"

That to me, is the definition of a bandwagon fan. Not one that becomes a fan due to some circumstance and sticks with a team in good times and bad (no matter what the occurence was that made them a fan), but one that jumps from team to team, depending on who the flavor of the week is. Those are the ones I have NO use for.

proudpittsburgher
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Yea, I moved there from college (first job) and my wife had a semester of college left. We got married after that, and immediately moved before she got down there. We looked at apartments in Greenville a lot (I used to cover ECU football and basketball) but we ended up in New Bern. Believe me, it was worth the 30 minute commute from either place to avoid living in Kinston. I can't remember the name of the only bar in Kinston.

feltdizz
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM

bandwagon fans know who they are... I don't even see how it is possible to adopt a team.

When I lived in Kentucky a few friends asked if I wanted to go to a Bungles preseason game with them....
my response was: "For what?"

when I lived in Philly people asked if I wanted to go see the Phillies....
my response: are they playing the Pirates?

I did go to a 76ers game but that's only cause the Phish left Pittsburgh.

Now I live in NYC.... and all 8 million know I'm not cheering for anyone but the Steelers.

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM

To me, the below is the epitome of a bandwagon fan:

There's this guy that works at the pet store that we go to all the time. When we first started going there a few years ago, he sees me in my Steelers jacket, says "The Steelers SUCK!", so I asked him who his team was. He tells me he's a Ravens fan. To which I tell him I'm sorry, there's no accounting for taste, but to each his own. We talk sh*t back and forth for the season.

Then last year, I told him that it sucked to be him, since the Ravens suck this year. He tells me, "I'm not a Ravens fan anymore...I'm a Cowboys fan." I just laugh at him, call him a pathetic bandwagoner, and walk away.

This year, he starts talking about how his teams doing well. I told him I didn't think the Cowboys were all that to get excited about this year, and he tells me "I'm not a Cowboys fan, I'm a Ravens fan!"

That to me, is the definition of a bandwagon fan. Not one that becomes a fan due to some circumstance and sticks with a team in good times and bad (no matter what the occurence was that made them a fan), but one that jumps from team to team, depending on who the flavor of the week is. Those are the ones I have NO use for.

I would agree!

kindlecatsb'ng
01-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Check this one out from the Cleveland Plain dealer website:
http://blog.cleveland.com/bransonwright ... t_175.html (http://blog.cleveland.com/bransonwright/2009/01/post_175.html)

It's the You Tube "Here we go Steelers"-- has Obama in it players,...

The comments from Browns fans are priceless. This writer has written other Steeler pieces. While you are at that site, check out the browns forum. I never post to it but read it occasionally when I want to laugh. Some of the people who post there sound like complete idiots.

GO STEELERS! :tt1

VirgilBosett
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
"Actually, we Bengals fans don't want you. Steelers fans are the most obnoxious people I know. It's like rooting for the New York Yankees or Boston Celtics."

Steeler fans obnoxious? How about the article? :wft

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Some teams just seem to have notorious bandwagon fans.

Dallas.....

Talk to a "Dallas fan" when they are losing and the reaction is something like "yeah, well I don't really watch that much football these days so it doesn't bother me that much. But if they go to The SB next year (please no...but it is for the sake of making a point) he will be the first guy in your face saying "America's Team BABY!!"

Then the following year when they are back down he won't be that much into football again.