PDA

View Full Version : Sweed sticking with it

fordfixer
01-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver
Updated 1h 19m ago |

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... weed_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2009-01-22-limas-sweed_N.htm)

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
PITTSBURGH — On his list of most egregious gaffes on a football field, Limas Sweed insists there is a moment worse than his blunder in the AFC title game.

Sweed, the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie receiver, dropped a perfect pass that would have resulted in a 50-yard touchdown late in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens last Sunday when he suddenly took his eyes off the floating football.

Call it the Immaculate Incompletion.

"It's not the worst drop I've had," said Sweed, tapping his memory bank.

Playing for his first football team in seventh grade, the Brenham (Texas) Cubs, Sweed caught a pass near his 5-yard line and raced in the direction of 90-plus pay dirt.

"Before I got to the end zone, boom — the ball just popped out," Sweed remembers. "The other team recovered. That was the worst."

The stakes were just a bit higher last weekend. Add more than 40 million viewers, and it's conceivable that Sweed was floored more by embarrassment after his muff than by having his wind escape him. He lay on the turf until trainers arrived.

In any event, Sweed — who didn't hit the oxygen tank after returning to the bench — cost the Steelers their final timeout when he was treated on the field. Then poor time-management cost the Steelers a chance for a short field goal in a tight game, as the clock expired with the ball on 12-yard line as the half ended.

Here's to rookie lessons. The instant Sweed returned to the sideline, he received an earful from his heated coach, Mike Tomlin.

"He basically said, 'Try to get up and save the team a timeout when you fall down,' " Sweed said. "I guess I knew that was coming."

Sweed, a second-round pick from Texas who played extensively Sunday after go-to veteran Hines Ward was sidelined by a sprained knee, bounced back from his mistake with two attention-grabbing plays in the second half. He floored Corey Ivy with a punishing block at the end of a 30-yard catch by Heath Miller. Then he moved the chains with a 14-yard catch on a third-and-8 to dig out of a field-position hole.

"Obviously, I would've liked to have caught that pass," Sweed, still seeking his first NFL touchdown, said of the drop. "I'm coming in for Hines. AFC Championship Game. Rookie. Jacked-up. Things happen. People drop balls. It's not always what happened, but how you respond. If I had my head in the tank and stayed down on myself, maybe I don't get that block or make that catch. It's just growing pains."

Asked if he was impressed that Sweed responded well after the drop, Tomlin said, "I wish he would just catch the ball so that he doesn't have to respond … Hats off to the guys for sticking with him and allowing him to be a part of this."

Although Ward has pledged to be ready for Super Bowl XLIII, Sweed realizes that circumstances could put him on the spot again against the Arizona Cardinals — on the biggest stage in football. It is a long way from Brenham.

"You can look at it two ways," said Sweed, who played sparingly and caught just six passes during the regular season. "I'm out there running by dudes, getting open. I've just got to finish the plays. I'm glad I'm on a team like the Steelers, a great team, that can roll with my growing pains. Because I'll definitely be worth it … My time is coming."

Oviedo
01-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Got to like his attitude...just catch the d@mn ball next time.

I rewatched that play. To me it is clear that he could not believe he was that wide open and took his eye off the ball looking for the Free Safety coming in to do a Ryan Clark on him.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
My only problem is he dropped a TD pass in the first playoff game with Leftwich laying one right there for him. He dropped this TD pass against Baltimore. And lately I have been reading where he has tons of drops in practice as well. So it isn't just his one time he dropped a pass....it is becoming the norm.....which sucks!

NC Steeler Fan
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Last night I saw a clip of Hines calling to Sweed as he was coming off the field and
he yelled at him to "shake it off and make a play" several times.

Sounds like Tomlin is impatient and acknowledges that it's the team that's
keeping Sweed on the field though....

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Last night I saw a clip of Hines calling to Sweed as he was coming off the field and
he yelled at him to "shake it off and make a play" several times.

Sounds like Tomlin is impatient and acknowledges that it's the team that's
keeping Sweed on the field though....

And after the big block on Ivy Hines said, "He got it past his head" meaning Sweed moved on and was playing ball.

Djfan
01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
My only problem is he dropped a TD pass in the first playoff game with Leftwich laying one right there for him. He dropped this TD pass against Baltimore. And lately I have been reading where he has tons of drops in practice as well. So it isn't just his one time he dropped a pass....it is becoming the norm.....which sucks!

Yeah. Too early to say bust, but the trend is scary. The intensity of this last miss is huge. Let's hope he takes a lesson from this one.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
I like the fact he is getting open deep. Obviously he is able to shake defenders and beat them down the sideline....but if he can't catch, who cares.

flippy
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
"I'm out there running by dudes, getting open. I've just got to finish the plays. I'm glad I'm on a team like the Steelers, a great team, that can roll with my growing pains. Because I'll definitely be worth it … My time is coming."

Thats exactly how I look at it.

His time could come next week.

How Sweedt would that be?

fezziwig
01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Just wondering what you guys think:

Wouldn't you think at minimum a receiver should catch the ball ?

As I said in the past, it is not a position like the QB that has to know the entire offense let alone, looking for receivers, watching your line protection, looking for defensive players before you throw and all that goes along with being the QB.

It is also not like the offensive line that needs to know all the functions or rythms of the rest of the line.

Or is it like being a defender that has to second guess at times what, the offense is going to do.

We are talking about a route that Lima ran, had the steps on the defender and the ball fell, right into his hands. You couldn't ask for a better thrown ball.

I could understand a rookie not remembering plays, being so so about blocking but above all, he should catch the damn ball.

He is neither a good receiver or an actor. He can't catch and he didn't fool anyone with his injury act. Then it shows he is not too smart because he allowed three points to never happen.

Something I didn't appreciate from Lima was after the drop he did catch a pass and he turned around and pointed to the endzone. Big deal ! His catch at the moment was not a balance for the TD he blew or the 3 points he denied his team.

Jerry Rice didn't win the team and fans over his first season so, let's see how he does.

Jooser
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone that he dropped those two TD's, but the fact is he IS blowing by the secondary. That's promising, if he ever gets his head out he's going to be a force to reckon with. He's only a rookie, Plax used to have all kinds of bonehead plays even after his rookie season, but he made lots of plays too.

feltdizz
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
As soon as he dropped it I looked for the numbers and ran into the kitchen screaming "SWEEEEED!!!"

Now my wife keeps screaming "SWEEED!!" anytime we drop something on the floor.

He will bounce back.. of course we think it's easy to catch a pass but the hardest thing is to catch a wide open pass... especially as a rookie..

plenty of star WR's have had these kind of drops... everyone wants the glory but when you are wide open in a championship game you were thrown into as a rookie...

no different then Holmes fumbling punts as a rookie or Troy looking lost.

he SHOULD have caught those but he came back hard... had a classic hit and a critical 3rd down catch.. he is the new Nate...

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Just wondering what you guys think:

Wouldn't you think at minimum a receiver should catch the ball ?

As I said in the past, it is not a position like the QB that has to know the entire offense let alone, looking for receivers, watching your line protection, looking for defensive players before you throw and all that goes along with being the QB.

It is also not like the offensive line that needs to know all the functions or rythms of the rest of the line.

Or is it like being a defender that has to second guess at times what, the offense is going to do.

We are talking about a route that Lima ran, had the steps on the defender and the ball fell, right into his hands. You couldn't ask for a better thrown ball.

I could understand a rookie not remembering plays, being so so about blocking but above all, he should catch the damn ball.

He is neither a good receiver or an actor. He can't catch and he didn't fool anyone with his injury act. Then it shows he is not too smart because he allowed three points to never happen.

Something I didn't appreciate from Lima was after the drop he did catch a pass and he turned around and pointed to the endzone. Big deal ! His catch at the moment was not a balance for the TD he blew or the 3 points he denied his team.

Jerry Rice didn't win the team and fans over his first season so, let's see how he does.

His name is Limas.

I'm starting to think he's just another one of our drama queens. :roll:

feltdizz
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
lol!! good one, you got me.. I definitely eat the humble on my Ben comments...

I thought he was going to take me on another roller coaster ride but he was on point. Dude is in the Elway Montana Brady room now...

he played like half the season was just a warm up for the real season (playoffs).

Sweed's injury was some bull though...

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

I thought he was going to take me on another roller coaster ride but he was on point. Dude is in the Elway Montana Brady room now...

he played like half the season was just a warm up for the real season (playoffs).

I couldn't resist. :P

As for Sweed, I still think he got the wind knocked out of him. I've had that happen and it scares the hell out of you. It feels like you're never going to breathe again. In all my years of playing sports I have never seen someone who had that happen just leap right up.

I don't know how to describe it but it seems to totally incapacitate a person when it happens. Temporarily that is.

feltdizz
01-23-2009, 05:05 PM

I couldn't resist. :P

As for Sweed, I still think he got the wind knocked out of him. I've had that happen and it scares the hell out of you. It feels like you're never going to breathe again. In all my years of playing sports I have never seen someone who had that happen just leap right up.

I don't know how to describe it but it seems to totally incapacitate a person when it happens. Temporarily that is.

I know first hand what that feels like... you try to breath but it's like you lungs are full.. but they are empty so you have that "I'm gonna die" feeling for a minute.

Once broke up a pass and 2 WR's fell on me.. they said it was a great hit but I felt like I died for a second.

but yeah... I ate the humble and just got back from Pittsburgh and made sure to let all my friends and fam know Ben is all that. My Dad was like.. we all talk about Ben cause thats how we do in Pittsburgh but man.. that guy really changed this town. I didn't think I would live to see another Steel Curtain and a QB who could be this good.

and I grew up across the river from Moon Township in Sewickley. It takes no time to get downtown, Robinson Center has a ton of shops and restaurants and when you drive from the airport downtown when you get through the tunnel the scene is amazing.

stlrz d
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
:D :D :D

jj28west
01-23-2009, 09:09 PM
By now everyone seen his video resumes on You Tube. I also remembered him @ Texas making catches all over the place on the field and in traffic from a quarterback that can be innacurate (Vince Young) at times. Of course I was pi$$ed also at these playoff drops but I also saw potential in the double move and the fact that he is starting to be physical enough not to be driven off his pattern by the 5 yard chuck rule. The bad news is that I believe both the San Diego and Baltimore DB's that got burned on those bombs were backups the do not regularly see the field.
At this stage I am leaning what several have already said by the fact that he is fighting the mental aspect of the game and is thinking too much. Chad Johnson, TO, all have drop streaks. Here's a piece from the one-n-only Jerry Rice's Biography

"Jerry struggled as a rookie at first; and in the whole season, he only started four games. Reporters referred to him as a potential bust and some teammates called him “Butterfingers” to his face. In one game, Rice dropped two wide open passes; then, during half time Frisbee-catching dogs took the field and a fan yelled, “Rice, take notes!”

Rice later said, “Oh man, there were many games where I just went in and cried. I cried because I had always been able to catch a football and make a play, and now I was dropping footballs and I just couldn’t pinpoint what was going on. I had never been booed before, and that was really hard. Bill (Walsh) and the coaches just kept telling me, ‘Just keep working hard.’ In a situation like that, they could have slammed the door on me and said, ‘Ok, bad draft choice, let’s get rid of him.’ But I guess Bill saw something in me and stuck with me. He can see something in a football player that no one else can see.”

fezziwig
01-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I know what Lima (S) problem is....................

He is wearing Neil ( i blew the super bowl ) O'Dongless number 14.

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I know what Lima (S) problem is....................

He is wearing Neil ( i blew the super bowl ) O'Dongless number 14.

Well then how do you explain Santonio scoring a TD in every playoff game he has played in while wearing the Kordell #10 special?

fezziwig
01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Kordell had talent. Wasn't a talented QB but made one heck of a Slash, receiver or could of been a decent runningback with some weight added.

Deshea doesn't have the talent Rod Woodson had but, he doesn't do bad with his number .

buckeyehoppy
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Dude just needs to look the ball in before he runs. That's basic fundamentals.

I think he'll be just fine when he consistently catches the ball because, as Joos pointed out, he's blowing by the secondary and could go in untouched...if he just caught the ball.

Sweed just needs to hang in there. He could be an x-factor in the game next Sunday if he just get the catch. It will add one more headache to the Cards D if he can rack up yards on them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Kordell had talent. Wasn't a talented QB but made one heck of a Slash, receiver or could of been a decent runningback with some weight added.

Deshea doesn't have the talent Rod Woodson had but, he doesn't do bad with his number .

How come his number hasn't been retired? Does it take longer than this usually? Maybe after DT leaves ...

Steeler Shades
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Which would you rather have:
A. a WR that can get open but can't catch
B. a WR that can catch but can't get open
C. a professional NFL WR that should be able to do both
8)

stlrz d
01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

How come his number hasn't been retired? Does it take longer than this usually? Maybe after DT leaves ...

The Steelers don't officially retire numbers, but there are some the equipment manager refuses to give out.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM

The Steelers don't officially retire numbers, but there are some the equipment manager refuses to give out.

Yeah, the only number that has been officially retired is Ernie Stautner's #70. However, even though not officially "retired," no one has worn Bradshaw's 12, Franco's 32, Webby's 52, Lambert's 58, or Mean Joe's 75 since they hung 'em up.

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Yeah, the only number that has been officially retired is Ernie Stautner's #70. However, even though not officially "retired," no one has worn Bradshaw's 12, Franco's 32, Webby's 52, Lambert's 58, or Mean Joe's 75 since they hung 'em up.

Forgot about #70. As for the rest you mentioned...you can request 'em all you want but you're not gettin' 'em! :D

Djfan
01-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I think Woodson's is up for grabs (or at least was) is because of the way he left.

fezziwig
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I heard the same thing that the Steelers do not retire numbers and the equipment managers do not give out certain numbers.
When Williams came to the Steelers he asked for number 32 and the equipment manager told him to pick another number. I forget what number he had choosen instead.

Swanns number along with Stallworth, Lloyd, Blier, Greenwood is still active to name a few. Some of them retired as Steelers and made it to the HOF. I don't know what the rule of thumb is about this.

If you had to retire all our greats numbers, we would need to go to triple digits lol.

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I heard the same thing that the Steelers do not retire numbers and the equipment managers do not give out certain numbers.
When Williams came to the Steelers he asked for number 32 and the equipment manager told him to pick another number. I forget what number he had choosen instead.

Swanns number along with Stallworth, Lloyd, Blier, Greenwood is still active to name a few. Some of them retired as Steelers and made it to the HOF. I don't know what the rule of thumb is about this.

If you had to retire all our greats numbers, we would need to go to triple digits lol.

If you're referencing John L. Williams he went with 22.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah, especially with Swann and Stallworth...you can't just eliminate 2 out of the 10 possible numbers in the 80's when you needed those numbers for your all of the WR's and TE's on the roster (only recently did some WR's start wearing numbers in the teens and some TE's started wearing numbers in the 40's).

fezziwig
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks.

I also don't recall Jack Hams number 59.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks.

I also don't recall Jack Hams number 59.

Ham hung 'em up in '82, but during the '84 season, they gave #59 to a 3rd round draft pick named Todd Seabaugh, a linebacker from San Diego State. He only played in 2 games with the Steelers and was never heard from again in the football world. No one has else has worn #59 after Ham other than Seabaugh in those 2 games.

fezziwig
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks, I kind of remember that. Wasn't Jack Ham a little put off about the number being used ? I might be thinking of another player and team but, I thought something was mentioned about it.