PDA

View Full Version : Coordinator of the year: Dick LeBeau, Steelers

fordfixer
01-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Coordinator of the year: Dick LeBeau, Steelers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28797232/

Sporting News surveyed 664 players, coaches and general managers to determine our 2008 NFL awards and all -- pro team. For the full list of winners, see the Jan. 19 issue of Sporting News magazine. If you are not receiving the magazine, subscribe today, or pick up a copy, available at most Barnes & Noble, Borders and Hudson News retail outlets.
Dick LeBeau has spent 50 of his 71 years in the NFL--14 as a larcenous cornerback for the Detroit Lions, the past 36 with four teams as an assistant coach, defensive coordinator and even head coach. His Pittsburgh Steelers have ranked No. 1 in total defense each of the past two seasons. Three of his players were eager to endorse his work.
Player's comments:
"He has that grandfather wisdom. When he speaks, we listen. He treats the last guy on the team like the first guy on the team. He treats Pro Bowlers and free agents the same way. A lot of coaches I had in the past, they feel like it's us and them. With him, it's just us. There isn't a line between player and coach. We're one unit, one heartbeat." -- Linebacker Larry Foote
"I don't think there's any coach in the business who can scheme like he schemes and game plan like he does. His wisdom and knowledge of the game give him a great advantage over teams and over coaches. Our schemes are very intricate. ... We definitely try to dictate what teams can do against our defense. I don't see anybody outfox him." -- Linebacker James Farrior
"He is never keeping secrets on the game plan, why he chooses certain things. In doing that, he's always teaching us. We've been playing this defense for a long time. Guys have taken this defense to other places and haven't been as successful, but they also have not had Dick LeBeau." Safety Troy Polamalu
-- Gerry Dulac for Sporting News
Offensive player of the year:Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
Defensive player of the year:Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee Titans
Playmaker of the year:Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
Comeback player of the year:Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rookie of the year:Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons
Coach of the year:Mike Smith, Falcons
All-Pro team | All-rookie team
Innovator of the year:David Lee, Dolphins