PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offense, what do we know...

JDSteeler
01-22-2009, 09:46 AM
...well....

The Steelers O has faced the Rats 3 times this season, and won all three. The
Rats defense was considered by some pundits to be better than that of the
Steelers, of course, we all knew that wasn't true before we played them, and
certainly not after.

The Steelers have also faced something like 8 of the top 10 defenses during
the regular season. Including the Giants, Cowboys, Skins, Eagles, etc....

The Steelers also faced the toughest regular season schedule in over 20
years, and went 12-4. It should also be mentioned that the Steelers won
those 12 games without starters due to injuries all year long.

So this much is known, they are battle tested for sure, and even though the
O-line isn't the best at what they do, they have been better recently, and that
is with losing/replacing 4 starter from last year.

We should all applaud them for their hard work!!!! Again, they aren't perfect,
but they never gave up, and yes Colon does catch a false start penalty every
game, but he and the rest of the guys, DON'T give up. That's what I know about
our O-line.

Coach Ari-ANUS, as we all know, is a moron, and cannot be trusted. After all,
he is a MOLE from the Stains. He has reduced our running game to a one-back
set for the majority of the snaps, and it hasn't worked. Tomlin will address it
with Ari-ANUS, and I hope BA will is gone by 2/2/09. Of course, BA will be leaving
with a RING, but leaving anyway.

I'll go into more details later as to what the Steelers will do offensively in
the SB vs the C-Chickens, but I better see some of FWP on the edge!!!!!!!!!

As far as the Cards defense goes, they have gotten better in the Playoffs.

However, the Jets hung 56 on them, the Pats* hung 47, the Vikes hung
40 something....

The Steelers are battled tested, and I don't care what the Cards have done,
they ain't the Rats, Chargers, Cowboys, or even the Pats* for that matter.

Just execute that's it, just execute. If the Jets can hang 56 the Steelers
should be able to hang 36, right? Maybe. They left at least two TD's off
the board with SH getting robbed by the refs, and Sweed's drop. Add 14 pts
to 23, and that's 37.

Next week, I'll give my patented, "What the score should resemble or I'll be
disappointed" prediction.

JD

sd steel
01-22-2009, 01:07 PM
...well....

certainly not after.

our O-line.

with Ari-ANUS, and I hope BA will is gone by 2/2/09. Of course, BA will be leaving

40 something....

to 23, and that's 37.

JD

So Arians had nothing to do with the success of the offense?

Oviedo
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM

No it is just luck if anything positive happens. Playing the toughest schedule in NFL history and some of the toughest defenses in the NFL has nothing to do with anything. Injuries to Marvel, Mendenhall, FWP, Simmons had no impact. First year starters Hartwig and Kemo had no impact.

It's all about playcalling, but only the plays that don't work. Any successful plays are luck or extraordinary efforts on the part of players to overcome the called play.

sd steel
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM

No it is just luck if anything positive happens. Playing the toughest schedule in NFL history and some of the toughest defenses in the NFL has nothing to do with anything. Injuries to Marvel, Mendenhall, FWP, Simmons had no impact. First year starters Hartwig and Kemo had no impact.

It's all about playcalling, but only the plays that don't work. Any successful plays are luck or extraordinary efforts on the part of players to overcome the called play.

:Cheers :Agree :lol:

Steeler Mafia
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Why do you infatically defend Bruce Arians? I don't get it. Since his induction as our OC, he has successfully made our offense too predictable. Teams are not lining up to defend the run in short yardage situations and Arians doesn't give them any reason to. He refuses to adapt to what the defense gives us, but rather tries to force his plays regardless of what is lined up. Being an OC and calling in plays is much like playing chess. You should always think 3 to 4 plays ahead, trying to set up a big play. Calling the same play 3 and 4 times in a row does not institue setting up the big play. The offense has obviously sruggled this season, to say the least. You can say all you want how injuries played a big part in this outcome, but I am not buying it. The truth of the matter is that with no identity and tipping our hand in situations where short or moderate gains are needed, it is a miracle we are where we are today. The credit belongs to 1) the outstanding play of our defensive unit keeping us in games, and 2) the ability of our Franchise QB to make something happen when nothing is there. As for Bruce Arians, he deserves no credit what-so-ever for the success of this team this year. If we could successfully put up 21 to 28 points with our offensive unit, not relying on special teams or defense for touchdowns, we could very well be on our way to earning our 10th Lombardi Trophy by 2015. As it is, Bruse Arians is holding us back from our potential.

Just my :2c 20 cents.

skyhawk
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't forget the Cards also gave up 454 yards to the Eagles in the NFCC.

JDSteeler
01-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Why do you infatically defend Bruce Arians? I don't get it. Since his induction as our OC, he has successfully made our offense too predictable. Teams are not lining up to defend the run in short yardage situations and Arians doesn't give them any reason to. He refuses to adapt to what the defense gives us, but rather tries to force his plays regardless of what is lined up. Being an OC and calling in plays is much like playing chess. You should always think 3 to 4 plays ahead, trying to set up a big play. Calling the same play 3 and 4 times in a row does not institue setting up the big play. The offense has obviously sruggled this season, to say the least. You can say all you want how injuries played a big part in this outcome, but I am not buying it. The truth of the matter is that with no identity and tipping our hand in situations where short or moderate gains are needed, it is a miracle we are where we are today. The credit belongs to 1) the outstanding play of our defensive unit keeping us in games, and 2) the ability of our Franchise QB to make something happen when nothing is there. As for Bruce Arians, he deserves no credit what-so-ever for the success of this team this year. If we could successfully put up 21 to 28 points with our offensive unit, not relying on special teams or defense for touchdowns, we could very well be on our way to earning our 10th Lombardi Trophy by 2015. As it is, Bruse Arians is holding us back from our potential.

Thank you.

papillon
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Here's what I know about our offense:

They are not ranked in the top half of the offenses in the NFL

They played 8 of the top 10 defenses in the league and the #2 defense three times, winning all 3

There are many "big play" play makers on the offense, Parker, Holmes and Ben

They have two of the best chain movers in the game, Ward and Miller

They have two guys, who drop a few, but, make it look ridiculously easy to get behind the opponents secondary, Washington and Sweed

A third down back that needs a few more touches during a game, Moore

Here's my summary of the offense...

If it weren't for the quality of the defenses they played against week in and week out they would have been ranked much higher. I hope the Cardinals take the offense for granted based on statistics, the Steelers offense will hang 35 on him in a hurry if they do that.

Pappy

Djfan
01-22-2009, 11:11 PM

They played 8 of the top 10 defenses in the league and the #2 defense three times, winning all 3

They have two guys, who drop a few, but, make it look ridiculously easy to get behind the opponents secondary, Washington and Sweed

If it weren't for the quality of the defenses they played against week in and week out they would have been ranked much higher. I hope the Cardinals take the offense for granted based on statistics, the Steelers offense will hang 35 on him in a hurry if they do that.

Pappy

Well said Pap!

buckeyehoppy
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM

It's all about play calling, but only the plays that don't work. Any successful plays are luck or extraordinary efforts on the part of players to overcome the called play.

Why do you emphatically defend Bruce Arians? I don't get it. Since his induction as our OC, he has successfully made our offense too predictable. Teams are not lining up to defend the run in short yardage situations and Arians doesn't give them any reason to. He refuses to adapt to what the defense gives us, but rather tries to force his plays regardless of what is lined up. Being an OC and calling in plays is much like playing chess. You should always think 3 to 4 plays ahead, trying to set up a big play. Calling the same play 3 and 4 times in a row does not institute setting up the big play. The offense has obviously struggled this season, to say the least. You can say all you want how injuries played a big part in this outcome, but I am not buying it. The truth of the matter is that with no identity and tipping our hand in situations where short or moderate gains are needed, it is a miracle we are where we are today. The credit belongs to 1) the outstanding play of our defensive unit keeping us in games, and 2) the ability of our Franchise QB to make something happen when nothing is there. As for Bruce Arians, he deserves no credit what-so-ever for the success of this team this year. If we could successfully put up 21 to 28 points with our offensive unit, not relying on special teams or defense for touchdowns, we could very well be on our way to earning our 10th Lombardi Trophy by 2015. As it is, Bruse Arians is holding us back from our potential.

$$$ post, Mafia. No matter what the outcome of this game, Tomlin would do well to review the progress of the offensive unit after next Sunday.

Even with the worries, I still think the Steelers will score often enough in this game to keep it far away from the "yawner" category. I'm looking for a big day from the Steelers O in the last game of the year.

buckeyehoppy
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM

Pappy

Pappy, it all boils down to protecting the ball, devouring the clock and executing the game plan. The Steelers will need to do all three to have success in this game, because keeping the Cards O off the field will be a victory in itself.

Even so, I don't think the Cards have seen anything like the Steelers D and may have trouble adjusting to that.

All in all, if Steeler football is played Sunday next, I suspect we'll all be pleased with the outcome.

JDSteeler
01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
...well....

certainly not after.

our O-line.

40 something....

to 23, and that's 37.

JD

HAAAAAAAAA....uh.....No!!!!!

JDSteeler
01-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Not sure WTF you are talking about, you should read the original post,
AGAIN..............

I applauded the Steelers O-line, while others criticize it. I mentioned the
tough schedule and the injuries already....So WTF is your point???

JD

papillon
01-23-2009, 12:51 AM

Pappy

Pappy, it all boils down to protecting the ball, devouring the clock and executing the game plan. The Steelers will need to do all three to have success in this game, because keeping the Cards O off the field will be a victory in itself.

Even so, I don't think the Cards have seen anything like the Steelers D and may have trouble adjusting to that.

All in all, if Steeler football is played Sunday next, I suspect we'll all be pleased with the outcome.

All that is true enough. My point is that even though it appears that the Steelers offense is pedestrian, that isn't the case. And, if the Cardinals defense falls asleep on the offense they are capable of hanging a big number on them. I'm just saying that the Steelers have explosive play makers in the running game and passing game.

The other positive right now is that Ben is playing at a very high level. The game seems to have slowed down for him right now.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
01-23-2009, 01:20 AM

Pappy

All that is true enough. My point is that even though it appears that the Steelers offense is pedestrian, that isn't the case. And, if the Cardinals defense falls asleep on the offense they are capable of hanging a big number on them. I'm just saying that the Steelers have explosive play makers in the running game and passing game.

The other positive right now is that Ben is playing at a very high level. The game seems to have slowed down for him right now.

Pappy

That has been even more true in the playoffs. Ben seems like he has raised his game another level since the playoffs began. If not for Sweed's drop and the penalty against S'Tonio, Ben would have had well over 300 yards against D #2 in the NFL.

We'll see about the Cards D. But Philly evidently didn't have a problem making the NFCCG a game in about 8 minutes between the 2nd half of the 3rd and the 1st half of the 4th quarter and their O isn't any better than ours.

Would love to see the Steelers come right out and explain to the Cards that they are playing the Five-Time SB Champion Pittsburgh Steelers next Sunday. No better way to get that point across than to jet out to a fast start.

sd steel
01-25-2009, 01:02 AM
...well....

certainly not after.

our O-line.

40 something....

to 23, and that's 37.

JD

HAAAAAAAAA....uh.....No!!!!!

Then Lebeau had nothing to do with the defense.....or Tomlin had nothing to do with the team? Is that correct?

Steel Life
01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I think we can all agree that the somewhat pedestrian offense has benefited from a great defense that has kept scores down & given them advantageous field position. Whether we want to believe it, or acknowledge it, this is not an offense that scares teams because it is INCONSISTENT. The line, the RBs, the WRs, the TEs...they're all inconsistent & that is a reflection on Arians & probably the talent evaluators as well. But nevertheless, it is the OC's responsibility to implement a system that maximizes the talent he has & who among us can say that they feel that's the case? The only thing that teams fear?...Ben's improvisation & the credit for that does not go to BA.

We want to see games more like SD, where the offense was clicking, than we did against the Ravens. We have watched all season this offense squander away opportunity after opportunity that the D handed them & asked the same question - "what if they could put it all together?" Here's hoping they do on Super Bowl Sunday.

jj28west
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
As a disclaimer I know my place in football is nothing more than a crazed Steeler fan that really does not want to get any other life. I have have never played organized football on any level so really its difficult to get any respect on my comments or observations unless I can back them up with some type of facts which many times is almost impossible.

I used to laugh at these characters like tenceemadison on the trib board who had such a h@rd on for anytime Ben felt short of Superman status.

Having said that as a fan and not some over rated talking head analyst one could bet that if you put the ball on the three yard line in the red zone and gave each team 10 tries to get a touchdown you would probably see the Pats* or the Colts scoring on 60 to 70% of these 10 plays. I see the Steelers scoring on 10-20%.

When you 1st see FWP or Moore get blown up in the backfield it may be poor execution where someone did not pick up their block that the average viewer will not even notice. They will just say FWP sucks everytime even though poor Willie only has seconds to react if the play is not going by design (I am always guilty of it myself where I will just be emotional and say Damn he lacks vision for the open seams when ther is no seam).

Maybe BA does not allow Ben to call an audible down there and the Steeler formation is so obvious from film study the linebackeres just blow it up.

So whether its situational playcalling or lack of execution by an individual player or overall scheme or just lack of creativity the responsibility (whether justifiably or unjustifiably) usually falls on the OC.

The Oline "is what it is". This game I hope Ben can stay patient and dink and dunk with the underneath stuff instead of trying to pick up 20+ yards a clip on every play. Since this is a do or die game when the opportunity arises I would like to see him scramble for 4-6 yards and slide. A small gain but we see how this can be demoralizing to any defense.

Just my opinion and opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one.