PDA

View Full Version : Who Does Cowher Root For?

flippy
01-22-2009, 09:13 AM
If the Steelers win, Mike Tomlin looks like a better Coach than Cowher already. And this is just his second year. And he's 36.

If Arizona wins, it could look like Whis carried Cowher to the SuperBowl. Clearly the offense carried us in 2005 and Ben had a lot to do with it. But Whis put the plan together. Did Cowher need 2 geniuses in Whis and Lebeau to carry him and do what he could never do on his own. Again, it only took Whis 2 years to take a team that had never won squat into the SuperBowl.

I sense watching Cowher on a couple of pregames that he loves the Steelers and Pittsburgh and will be rooting for us.

But whoever wins, it could detract from what he's done thus far in his career.

Although you could argue, these Steelers have Bill's imprint (even though he wanted Philip Rivers).

And Whis is a branch on the Cowher coaching tree.

frankthetank1
01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
cowher is from the burgh and coached the steelers for a long long time. i think he would root for the steelers

MeetJoeGreene
01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
cowher is from the burgh and coached the steelers for a long long time. i think he would root for the steelers
:Agree

Discipline of Steel
01-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Since he personally knows half the guys on the team, I think he would want us to carry home the trophy. I dont see how he can root for Arizona whom he has had no historical association with.

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 09:59 AM
He has always been a supporter, and has always been very gracious to Tomlin and his team. I don't see ego getting in the way, since he has never shown as such since he left the team.

papillon
01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Bill Cowher's achievements will not be diminished by Mike Tomlin winning the Superbowl in his second season as the HC. Bill coached for 15 years and won many games, a Superbowl and for the most part fielded a competitive team that had a chance to win Superbowls.

What will happen is that the Pittsburgh Steeler franchise will continue its legacy of excellence and stability over the past 40 years. It will, simply stated, have had three coaches in that time frame and won the Superbowl under the direction of each. Each coach will have his place in Steeler lore.

But, none of the coaches will have their legacy downgraded due to Mike Tomlin winning the Superbowl, he will simply take his place among them and become part of Steeler history.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Bill Cowher's achievements will not be diminished by Mike Tomlin winning the Superbowl in his second season as the HC. Bill coached for 15 years and won many games, a Superbowl and for the most part fielded a competitive team that had a chance to win Superbowls.

What will happen is that the Pittsburgh Steeler franchise will continue its legacy of excellence and stability over the past 40 years. It will, simply stated, have had three coaches in that time frame and won the Superbowl under the direction of each. Each coach will have his place in Steeler lore.

But, none of the coaches will have their legacy downgraded due to Mike Tomlin winning the Superbowl, he will simply take his place among them and become part of Steeler history.

Pappy

Amen, my brother, amen. :tt2

Acero
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I was thinking about this the other day also... If Tomlin wins XLIII, we would tie the Dallas Cowboys as the only franchises to have 3 consecutive Lombardi-winning coaches, no?

Noll - Cowher - Tomlin
vs
Landry - Johnson - Switzer

Is this correct?

Northern_Blitz
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm sure he'll be happy for whoever wins because he has friends on both sides of the ball. To me, he always seemed like a loyal guy who loved his players. He's got his guys on both sides of the ball and I bet he's happy because it shows that the players he took are good, and the coaches he picked (Whiz & Grim) are also good.

But, I bet he'd rather the Burgh because of the Rooney's.

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
It may be correct, but Switzer was the coach of that team in title only. It was Jimmy Johnson's team that was run by Jerry Jones.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
For what it is worth, I think that Chuck Noll will be rooting for Steelers in this Super Bowl. Why would it be any different for Cowher?

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
For what it is worth, I think that Chuck Noll will be rooting for Steelers in this Super Bowl. Why would it be any different for Cowher?

I have heard that Chas Noll hasn't been in very good health lately, but he's so private that
it is hard to know for sure. How cool would that be to have him flip the ceremonial coin at the start of the game?

mshifko
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
cowher will be rooting for the steelers, but pulling for coach whis...if that makes any sense

rpmpit
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
FWIW, I remember rumors that Whiz was upset with Cowher because Bill didn't recommend Whiz as his successor to the Rooneys.

But in any case, I can't imagine Coach Cowher NOT rooting for us. On TV, you can see and hear the excitement in him when discussing the B&G. He's a Steeler for life.

grotonsteel
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Pappy

Awesome..... :tt2

Jooser
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Since he personally knows half the guys on the team, I think he would want us to carry home the trophy. I dont see how he can root for Arizona whom he has had no historical association with.
Doesn't he know about half the Arizona team too? LOL :lol: