PDA

View Full Version : Break out player for the game?

Chavezz
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I've been thinking about who on our team could have a break out game and I'm thinking that it's going to be McFadden. The reason I say this is because it seems like every year there is a UFA that comes up HUGE in the Super Bowl and cashes in on a fat contract.

The Cards will be passing a lot which means McFadden will at least have opportunities to make plays and believe me, I'll guarentee you that Drew Rosenhaus is in McFaddens ear right now about it.

Maybe Nate Washington if Ward can't go?

Any other guesses?

Iron Shiek
01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Gary Russell plunges for two tds!

That is about as outrageous as I can get. Our D is just going to be as solid as usual with Troy and James leading the way.

Discipline of Steel
01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I think Limas Sweed will make at least one big play.

frunko1
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Limas Sweed will have 7 catches for 170 yds and 2 tds.

After the huge drop, he comes to the game calm and focused. And with Ward playing limited downs because of a knee injury, Sweed picks up the slack and has a coming out party in the superbowl.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

flippy
01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Its gonna be Ben.

He's finally gonna start getting recognition that he's one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
I say L.T. gets 8-10 tackles and 2 sacks

NW Steeler
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Big Ben...going to DisneyWorld baby!!

:tt2

:Beer

:tt1

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
S. Homes. The Cards are going to concentrate on shutting down our RBs and other than Hines he is the only guy on the team that can catch. 8)

mshifko
01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
after two "sort of quiet" games, i see DPOY james harrison having a big day...he's been getting held more of course and has been a little quiet...i can see him playing huge for us and causing a lot of chaos in the backfield...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Offense....I have to agree with a few that posted Limas Sweed. For some reason this entire post season I have had a feeling he was going to do something. He has failed so far, but maybe he will come up with a play that will make us forget the bad ones.

Defense....I think that Woodley is going to abuse their RT and get 3 sacks. Timmons is going to force one fumble.

Chadman
01-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Hmmm....with Ward going to be limited, Ben's going to need a 'safe' target to hit.

Heath Miller will be Ben's 'safe' target.

6-7 catches, 100 yards or so & a TD. But more important- when the Steelers need that 1st down, it'll be "Miller Time".

NorCal-Steeler
01-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I'd say Ben after the bad performance in the last superbowl he shows why he is elite.
After BB i'd say Parker makes another superbowl highlight play.

MeetJoeGreene
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
hmmm. breakout implies to me that it would be someone that hasn't had a "great" game in the past.

Which leaves role players, etc.

Personally, I hope the player is FWP. Because if he puts up 170 yds then we are controlling the clock and other parts of the O are firing too.

SteelerNation1
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
My gut tells me Nate.

Steel Life
01-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Defense:
Hampton - Card's OC can't handle him by himself & pressure up the middle is the key.
Woodley - The right of the Cards' line is suspect & with Casey getting attention, Wood goes to the shed.

Offense:
Willie - He wants to have a big game & the middle of the Card's D is vulnerable.
Heath - Hines' injury & Nate's inexperience means Santonio gets blanketed...Heath is the obvious benefactor - if Arians doesn't keep him in blocking all game. I do expect Nate or Santonio to go deep once, if not twice during the game.

AngryAsian
01-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Defense:
Hampton - Card's OC can't handle him by himself & pressure up the middle is the key.
Woodley - The right of the Cards' line is suspect & with Casey getting attention, Wood goes to the shed.

Offense:
Willie - He wants to have a big game & the middle of the Card's D is vulnerable.
Heath - Hines' injury & Nate's inexperience means Santonio gets blanketed...Heath is the obvious benefactor - if Arians doesn't keep him in blocking all game. I do expect Nate or Santonio to go deep once, if not twice during the game.

I don't think Willie is going to have success. Carlos Dansby is phenomenal running sideline to sideline with great athleticism and I anticipate he'll be all over the field and especially on the corners trying to stuff FWP. I'll have to side with Chadman in that Heath will be huge in this game. If Hines' knee hampers his production, it will be Heath, the go-to guy for Ben on those 3rd downs. But I think that Russell will also play a big role in this game and score 2 TDs in goal line situations.

THE MAN WHO'LL HAVE MVP HONORS THOUGH WILL EITHER BE BEN OR TROY.

frankthetank1
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
i think ben will have a huge game. i also think ward will have a great game as well. im reminded of to's super bowl performance when he was hurt. ward will man up and have a great game. maybe a 2nd sb mvp

Oviedo
01-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmmm....with Ward going to be limited, Ben's going to need a 'safe' target to hit.

Heath Miller will be Ben's 'safe' target.

6-7 catches, 100 yards or so & a TD. But more important- when the Steelers need that 1st down, it'll be "Miller Time".

:Agree

If we are smart we will be feeding the ball to Heath (and Spaeth) all day long. The most effective Eagles receiver against the Cards was their TE Celek: 10 catches-83 yards-2 TDs.

Please just don't force passes to Nate Washington.

flippy
01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
This game is set up for Lawrence Timmons.

Kurt Warner can get rid of the ball quick. But Timmons can get to him before he gets to the 2nd or 3rd step of his drop. Timmons can be a more disruptive rusher than Debo or Woodley. We should use this to our advantage.

And Timmons is gonna be a big part in pass defense. I'm not gonna be surprised if Timmons knocks heads with Fitz on a couple of plays. Hit him early and often. The AZ crossing routes are gonna get someone killed in the middle of the field.

And then, I also expect a ST play out of him. Maybe a blocked punt.

Timmons has been so close on so many huge plays recently.

He's our best LB versus the pass, so I think he's gonna get some chances.

He's the most explosive player in the SuperBowl that nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows about.

RKSteel
01-22-2009, 09:29 AM
On Defense, I agree with Flippy, Timmons has been about a 1/2 second late on some plays. He's going to hit Warner like he did to Cassel and that'll be all she wrote for Warner.

On Offense, its got to be Heath. If he doesn't have 6-8 catches, or if he stays in the backfield to block, Arians should be fired on the spot. He should have a career day.

Also, I like Nate, he'll get at least one 50+yd td and have some clutch receptions.

Mick'sTeam
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Kurt Warner can get rid of the ball quick. But Timmons can get to him before he gets to the 2nd or 3rd step of his drop. Timmons can be a more disruptive rusher than Debo or Woodley. We should use this to our advantage.

And Timmons is gonna be a big part in pass defense. I'm not gonna be surprised if Timmons knocks heads with Fitz on a couple of plays. Hit him early and often. The AZ crossing routes are gonna get someone killed in the middle of the field.

He's the most explosive player in the SuperBowl that nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows about.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ post.
I was thinking the exact same thing Flippy. The fact that Warner gets rid of the ball so quickly means we NEED to utilize Timmons' speed. I think he could have a big impact on the game. Really nice post.

SteelerNation1
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Timmons is a bust! :D :D :D Good post flip. Timmons could very well play a big role in this game. We need to force turnovers and he can provide that.

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
My gut tells me Nate.

That's where I am going, since he seems to be the main target on deep routes, stands to reason he could have the biggest day. But I am almost POSITIVE that Sweed is going to make one HUGE play when we need it. It may not go for a TD, it may not even be more than 15 yards, but it's gonna be big. Law of averages say it's gotta happen, and after the big hit, strip of the int and the big 1st down grab, his confidence has got to be as high as it ever has been in the pros.

flippy
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Would you guys crap your pants if Sweed put up 100+ yards and 2+ TDs?

RKSteel
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
As long as the Steelers have one more point than the Cards, I don't care if Dallas Baker puts up 200yds and 3tds. :)

Oviedo
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

I'd be happier if those stats followed Heath Miller's name in the box score because it would mean that ben has been making safe, high percetage completions versus forcing the ball 30-40 yards downfield.

Jooser
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Ryan Clark will have one pick to turn momentum. I think he'll hit Fitz so hard the Tampa ground grew will be mowing dreads that were planted there come spring.

Iron Shiek
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mowing dreads..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steeler Shades
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I"d crap if Sweed and Nate together managed 100 yards and 2 TDs. I don't expect much from either one. Hopefully Ward, Holmes and Heath can carry the team and Ben doesn't waste downs by throwing to Parker. 8)

Chavezz
01-22-2009, 08:29 PM
hmmm. breakout implies to me that it would be someone that hasn't had a "great" game in the past.

Which leaves role players, etc.

Personally, I hope the player is FWP. Because if he puts up 170 yds then we are controlling the clock and other parts of the O are firing too.
That was kinda my thinking in making the thread. It's more from a perspective of a role player who steps up and makes a big impact.

It just seems like every year there's that guy who does it. David Tyree, Dexter Jackson, He Who Shall Remain Nameless (Hint: Think XXX) etc.

Chavezz
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I think SWEED would crap his pants if he did.

Jooser
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd crap my pants if Sweed had ONE td catch.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4145/woohootd6.gif (http://imageshack.us)