PDA

View Full Version : Can the Cards defense stop the Steelers offense?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I posted this on another forum in response to everybody only talking about whether or not our D can stop their O.

A lot has been made about how great the Cards offense is playing, and wondering if the #1 D can stop them.

However, everybody seems to disregard the fact that we have an offense as well. Sure, I know, Parker sucks, Ben holds the ball too long, we have no O line, and the receivers drop everything thrown to them. This must be the first time in history that a team that only fields a D has made the SB!! But is it really that simple?

As has been mentioned in the past, the Steelers played 7 games against top 8 Ds this year. Minny snuck up to #6 at the end of the year, otherwise it had been 7 against top 7. That is pretty remarkable since we were the #1 and obviously never played ourselves, but we did play #2 twice.

Arizona had the 19th ranked D, so it would be a reasonable assumption that the results we had against top Ds would not reflect on how we played against a D that is not as stout. Also, it is not like we only played powderpuffs the rest of the time. We did play #10 ranked NE, #11 Indy, and #12 Cincy twice. That makes 11 games against top 12 Ds - Amazing!!

So, lets see how we fared on those Ds outside of the top 8 (with their final D ranking in brackets):

Week 1 - Houston (22) 38 points
Week 2 - Cleveland (26) 10 points - ouch!
Week 5 - Jacksonville (17) 26 points
Week 7 - Cincinnati (12) 38 points
Week 10 - Indianapolis (11) 20 points
Week 11 - San Diego (25) 11 points - another ouch!
Week 12 - Cincinnati again (12) 27 points
Week 13 - New England (10) 33 points
Week 17 - Cleveland again (26) 31 points

So, in games where we are not facing the fiercest Ds in the game, we have put up an average of 26 points per game.

Add in Week 19 - San Diego again (25) 35 points and that total jumps to 26.9.

One step further.........

The average rankings of those teams works out to 17.9. Once again, add in the second San Diego game and it jumps up to 18.6 - just shy of the 19th ranking that Arizona holds.

So, I ask you again, can This Arizona D hold the Steelers below the 26-27 PPG average that we put up against such average Ds?

grotonsteel
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Last meeting with Cardinals Willie PArker ran for some 40 odd yards in 19 carries...

We need a better performance from our RBs to win the SB.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd say that average offensive output against defenses that were not in the top 8 should be about right for the Super Bowl. I can definitely see us scoring in the high 20's. I could also see our defense holding them to the high teens or low 20's at the most. A win by 7-10 points is the most likely scenario, in my mind.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Last meeting with Cardinals Willie PArker ran for some 40 odd yards in 19 carries...

We need a better performance from our RBs to win the SB.

I'm not sure that I would use what Willie did in week 4 last year in Arizona as my barometer.

But using that, Willie was held to 40 something yards last week, and if not for a couple of drops Ben could have easily thrown for 350 yards.

This Cards D does not have the personnel like Baltimore's to sell out to stop the run and still limit the passing game.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 03:13 PM
The Cards playoff D against some good offenses has looked VERY good. I don't think I'd evaluate their D based only on the regular season. If our O can't establish an effective ground game and if Ben is forced to throw in a lot of 3rd and longs (again), the Cards passing D will be effective.

Our offense needs to put up 24+ points to win this game IMHO. That 24 does NOT count any points our D scores which might have been included in the OPs point evaluation. Another no TO game from Ben will be BIG. 8)

ikestops85
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
No, the Cards defense can't stop our offense. The only thing that can stop our offense is:

OUR OFFENSE

If we eliminate the stupid penalties and drops this offense will steamroll the Cardinals. Unfortunately there have only been a few games where we have eliminated those types of mistakes. There is hope though (and by hope I mean hope for a blowout) ... our O-line is definitely improving and Ben is more focused than I have ever seen him. Gawd my heart could really use a blowout. :Cheers

steeld95
01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Also, in the post season the Cardinals D looked better then they really are because of the offenses they played. They weren't doing anything special against Del Homme, he just played a terrible game and threw into obvious double coverage alot. That made it easier for them to concentrate on stopping the run, especially when you know the qb is having a terrible day. McNabb had alot of open WR's he missed. Sure, the cardinals might be playing better D in the playoffs...but it helps when the offenses are having a terrible day...and it wasn't the Cardinals D causing that.

mdsteel
01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I think our O will have a big day and keep our D on the bench as well as keeping the Cards O on the bench, I feel this has got to be the game plan, we need to have 6-8 min scoring drives that end in TDs and limit the time the cards O are on the field.

mdsteel
01-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I think our O will have a big day and keep our D on the bench as well as keeping the Cards O on the bench, I feel this has got to be the game plan, we need to have 6-8 min scoring drives that end in TDs and limit the time the cards O are on the field.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
.... it helps when the offenses are having a terrible day...and it wasn't the Cardinals D causing that.
Both McNabb and Delhomme just happened to have bad days? Did Flacco and Rivers also just happen to have bad days?
IMHO, I don't think we should underestimate this Cards team....either offensively or defensively. 8)

MeetJoeGreene
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
No, the Cards defense can't stop our offense. The only thing that can stop our offense is:

OUR OFFENSE

If we eliminate the stupid penalties and drops this offense will steamroll the Cardinals. Unfortunately there have only been a few games where we have eliminated those types of mistakes. There is hope though (and by hope I mean hope for a blowout) ... our O-line is definitely improving and Ben is more focused than I have ever seen him. Gawd my heart could really use a blowout. :Cheers

:Agree :Agree

steeld95
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Both McNabb and Delhomme just happened to have bad days? Did Flacco and Rivers also just happen to have bad days?
IMHO, I don't think we should underestimate this Cards team....either offensively or defensively. 8)

Our team is not going to underestimate anything...it is the superbowl!!!!

But yes, Delhomme had a terrible day and the Cards defense was not the only reason...He was throwing into clear double coverage that was not disguised.

McNabb....I'll just let his big game record explain that one....although he did look good at times and was able to move the ball. He did miss wide open WR's when it counted though.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
.... it helps when the offenses are having a terrible day...and it wasn't the Cardinals D causing that.

Did Delhomme just have a terrible day? YES. The guy threw 5 picks. No D just forces 5 INT's. We were the best D in the league this year and no QB was ever forced into 5 picks by us. How about Baltimore? Did they ever force 5 picks?

In a couple of games this year, Ben threw multiple picks. How many times did we say "Wow, what an outstanding D that forced Ben to throw all those picks!" Good Ds force two INTs, maybe three.....but five? That requires a whole lot of help feom the QB.

As for McNabb, he did throw for 375 yards and 3 TDs so lets not go around congratulating the Cards D too much here. Of course we do discount some of that because they were forced to throw due to being down early, but it is not like these yards were in garbage time after the game was put away - like the Sproles TD against us. The Eagles came back and took the lead while giving up 25 points.

As for Atlanta, they had a rook QB who played like a rook, and a 24th ranked D that played like a 24th ranked D.

TallyStiller
01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
YES our O will move the ball on them. YES our O will score. D McNabb threw for 375 in that game. Our O will make the difference in this game. Theirs will only get 22 or 23 minutes of possession time, and we win, 34 - 20.

Sugar
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes- their D can stop our offense. A lot of things can happen on any given Sunday. Remember that Whiz knows our offensive personell very well and will be as ready as any coach we've faced all season.

NorthCoast
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Cards are following the same formula the Steelers use (any wonder). Stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, and play the pass on 3rd down. It worked nicely against Philly who has a decent O. If BA insists on running between the tackles with FWP, we better manage more than 3 yds/carry or Ben will need to be on his game. Remember when the playoffs started, we weren't sure which Ben was going to show up....he's looked good so far, but I think we still need to wonder about it....

skyhawk
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I just don't understasnd how no one is talking about the Cards giving up 454 yards to the Eagles and STILL winning.

steeld95
01-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I just don't understasnd how no one is talking about the Cards giving up 454 yards to the Eagles and STILL winning.

:Agree

If we put up 100 less yds, at 350 we still win the game with our defense.