PDA

View Full Version : How confident are you that Ward will last the entire game?

snarky
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Sprained MCLs can take up to six weeks to heal. Even with intensive rehab (if such a thing would even help for such an injury) he might not be 100% for the game.

Do we have somebody who can dress as a fifth wide receiver if it looks like he might not be good to go the entire game? I know there are one or two WRs on the practice squad but are any of them game worthy?

msp26505
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I suspect Hines will play the entire game if he has to gnaw his own leg off and play on a bloody stump.

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Not too confident. I would imagine that it depends on the severity of the injury. So far I haven't heard any medical or football experts rule him out or say that he doesn't have any chance so it might (hopefully) be possible for him to rehab it in two weeks.

I think we'll find out by the end of this week. If Tomlin activates Dallas Baker or one of the other PS WRs, then it doesn't look good for Ward. It's also "possible" to use a TE if necessary. 8)

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I believe he'll wear a brace and play the whole game.

mshifko
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
i think we should bring back lee mays (a playoff tradition)

MaxAMillion
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
I suspect he will play and be fairly ineffective while doing it. I don't see anyway Ward can play at a high level when coming off of this injury. This worries me greatly because Ben looks to Ward a lot on 3rd downs. Plus he is the best WR inside the hash marks. The idea of having to go with Sweed for an entire game worries me greatly.

Chadman
01-21-2009, 02:51 AM
i think we should bring back lee mays (a playoff tradition)

Ahh! The Steelers very own Buddha!

Every Steeler should rub his belly before running on the field for good luck...

Djfan
01-21-2009, 02:54 AM
I suspect he will play and be fairly ineffective while doing it. I don't see anyway Ward can play at a high level when coming off of this injury. This worries me greatly because Ben looks to Ward a lot on 3rd downs. Plus he is the best WR inside the hash marks. The idea of having to go with Sweed for an entire game worries me greatly.

I disagree. At first he will give it his all. Then he may become a 3rd down guy only. But he will take the routes across the middle short, I bet. He's tough as any three of us pretend to be.

AngryAsian
01-21-2009, 03:01 AM
He'll play... how effective remains to be seen. As for the compensatory game plan to address the possible lack of contribution...

1) More Heath

2) Screens to Moore out in the flat

3) Let the Sweed/Baker/Washington all step up. This above all else should prove the metal of Arians once and for all.

.... oh yeah... have a successful running game.

stlrz d
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
He'll play... how effective remains to be seen. As for the compensatory game plan to address the possible lack of contribution...

1) More Heath

3) Let the Sweed/Baker/Washington all step up. This above all else should prove the metal of Arians once and for all.

Seemed to work pretty well against the Rats.

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
With any kind of ligament injury, I'm told that running won't be all that difficult, but making those cuts is nearly impossible. Honestly, I say he takes it easy early on in case they need him to make a play late. Hines is tough as nails. He's going to brace up and give us all he can. I have no doubt in that.

Oviedo
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM

1) More Heath

More Heath and Spaeth is in fact the answer. The Eagles most successful receiver against the Cards was their TE Celek. He had 10 catches for 83 yards and two TDs. If Heath duplicates those numbers I like our chances. If Ben keeps looking for and forcing passes to his buddy Nate Washington then The Lombardi will be in Phoenix on Feb 2nd.

ramblinjim
01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I suspect Hines will play the entire game if he has to gnaw his own leg off and play on a bloody stump.

I agree here. But the guys are right, more Heath, more Spaeth and more Moore will get the job done. Sweed, Washington and Santonio get their chance to step up too. We'll need to score some points in this game. Unlike Baltimore, they actually have an offense.

frankthetank1
01-21-2009, 12:15 PM

I agree here. But the guys are right, more Heath, more Spaeth and more Moore will get the job done. Sweed, Washington and Santonio get their chance to step up too. We'll need to score some points in this game. Unlike Baltimore, they actually have an offense.

yup heath needs to have a big game. i think hines will be affective maybe 5 catches for 50 yards or so but he wont be close to 100%. making cuts will be very hard for him and that is his game. thats true they do have an offense but unlike baltimore they dont have much of a defense

ramblinjim
01-21-2009, 12:24 PM

yup heath needs to have a big game. i think hines will be affective maybe 5 catches for 50 yards or so but he wont be close to 100%. making cuts will be very hard for him and that is his game. thats true they do have an offense but unlike baltimore they dont have much of a defense

Right on Frank, they certainly don't have B-More's defense. They are playing better though and they seem to be coming up with turn-overs here in the post season and Pedergrass seems to have them in the right places.

I think our biggest advantage will be that as good as they are on "O", they haven't seen a "D" like ours. I'll take Lebeau in that little chess match with Whiz.

frankthetank1
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Right on Frank, they certainly don't have B-More's defense. They are playing better though and they seem to be coming up with turn-overs here in the post season and Pedergrass seems to have them in the right places.

I think our biggest advantage will be that as good as they are on "O", they haven't seen a "D" like ours. I'll take Lebeau in that little chess match with Whiz.

me too i love that match up. if you think lebeau wont have some new blitzes that have never been seen before your nuts. whiz knows the steelers very well and vice versa. their defense just has to be good enough they dont have to be great, but like you said they havent played a defense like ours so that good enough might not be good enough in this game

NorthCoast
01-21-2009, 11:46 PM

Ben needs to find Miller for those 3rd downs.

SteelerNation1
01-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Will Dallas Baker dress for this game?