PDA

View Full Version : The 4-3 Defense in Pittsburgh?

NorthCoast
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
There was a lot of speculation when Tomlin was hired about the possible switch to a 4-3 defense given Tomlin's background and our perceived weakness at LB when he arrived. After almost two full seasons, does anyone really believe Tomlin will go this route? I don't see it happening and here is a clue why:

Packers make switch

Mike McCarthy wants to take the Green Bay Packers defense in a new direction, and the coach believes Dom Capers is the right man for the renovation project.

McCarthy hired Capers as defensive coordinator. He said the team will switch from a 4-3 defense, which uses four down linemen and three linebackers, to Capers' specialty, the 3-4 defense, which uses three linemen and four linebackers.

McCarthy said one of the reasons he wants to change the Packers' defensive scheme is the challenges the offensive-minded coach had in trying to plan games against it.

The 58-year-old Capers, the former Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans head coach who spent last season as a special assistant and secondary coach with the Patriots, replaces Bob Sanders, whom McCarthy fired Jan. 5, along with most of the defensive position coaches.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/37861944.html

These days, with talent so evenly matched in the NFL the schemes can make a big difference in the won/loss column.

Steeler Expat
01-20-2009, 09:26 PM
One more team in the draft to compete for speedy DE->LB converts :x

Djfan
01-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Or is it intimidation? Both in our case.

flippy
01-21-2009, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a little 4-3 Tampa2 in the SuperBowl.

Kurt Warner's had some of the worst games of his career versus Tampa.

And Mike Tomlin's seen one of them first hand.

Oviedo
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a little 4-3 Tampa2 in the SuperBowl.

Kurt Warner's had some of the worst games of his career versus Tampa.

And Mike Tomlin's seen one of them first hand.

I agree. Put Woodley at DE and let him pin his ears back and go after Warner.

While we are unlikely to change we do have the personnel that would enable us to play the 4-3 very effectively. The only issue we would have is depth on the DL for a rotation that could be effective like the Giants do.

papillon
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Why in the name of all things good would you pick the SB to change your defenisive philosophy that has brought you to this point? That would be Bill Cowher like, in that, you would be playing to the weakness of the opponent rather than your strengths.

The Steelers are not staffed with 4-3 style defensive football players and the majority of the players probably have never played a 4-3, cover-2, cover-3, etc. While it seems that the athletes that the Steelers have could switch, because, they are good athletes, they haven't practiced this defense all year. Changing now would be folly and the AZ Cards would love that, I'm sure.

Pappy

steeld95
01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Why in the name of all things good would you pick the SB to change your defenisive philosophy

Pappy

I agree! Why would you change what got you there, especially considering it has been one of the most dominant defenses ever.

Just because their offense is real good, does not mean we should change our defense. I believe our defense will make them adjust their offense...

Remember, Seattle also had the #1 offense coming into the superbowl. How many points did they put up????

Discipline of Steel
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
4-3? Not unless we sign Joe Greene and LC Greenwood to our active roster before the game.

frankthetank1
01-21-2009, 12:28 PM
i was thinking about the switch to 4-3 a few days ago and no way in hell would i want to see it any time soon. when tomlin was first hired they had a declining porter and haggans. now james harrison has steped up his game big time and is a force. woodley is becoming a great olb and timmons has proved that he is going to be a very good player. if you have the personell at lb then play the 3-4. why change it? they have one of the best defenses ever and the best steeler defense i have ever seen. stick with it untill it doesnt work any more. i do think that they will play a lot of cover 2 against the cards.