PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Steelers to wear white jerseys in the SB

costanza2k1
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09020/943153-100.stm

Steelers will wear white jerseys in Super Bowl
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will wear their white game jerseys as the visiting team in the Super Bowl, and that color has been significant to them over the years.

They wore white in just two of their previous six Super Bowls -- their first when they beat the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IX in New Orleans and in their most recent, a victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

They normally wear their white jerseys on the road because the home team has first choice, but coach Bill Cowher chose white for Super Bowl XL even though they were the home team for that game. He did so because they wore their white jerseys in their three playoff victories that led to the Super Bowl, all on the road.

The Arizona Cardinals chose first and will wear their red home jerseys for the game in Tampa, Fla.

First published on January 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
First Super Bowl win for Noll was with white jerseys.

First Super Bowl win for Cowher was with white jerseys.

First Super Bowl win for Tomlin will be with white jerseys.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM

I like that - awesome, Ruthless!

mshifko
01-20-2009, 07:10 PM

very cool...i never thought about that...gives me a little peace of mind...i like our black jerseys, since we did it this time all at home...the white for SBXL felt right because we were road warriors...time to bust those out again!

papillon
01-21-2009, 12:27 AM

I like that - awesome, Ruthless!

He's making it up just so you'll think he knows what he's talking about. :moon :P

Pappy

Ozey74
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Steelers will wear their white road uniforms against Arizona in the Super Bowl, just as they did when they defeated Seattle for the NFL title three years ago in Detroit.

The Cardinals, as the home team, chose to wear their red home jerseys in the Feb. 1 game in Tampa.

In the February 2006 Super Bowl, the Steelers had the option of wearing their black home jerseys, but elected to wear white after playing and winning three road playoff games in as many weeks.

This will be only the third time in their seven Super Bowls the Steelers will wear white. They also wore white while defeating Minnesota in the Super Bowl during the 1974 season.

skyhawk
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Cool.

But why are the Cards the home team?

SteelerNation1
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Cool.

alternates every year. NFC this year, AFC team has the choice next year

skyhawk
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Cool.

Thanks.

mshifko
01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
what's your prediction for steelers fans-compared to cards fans?

i'm going with roughly 80% of the stadium will be waving terrible towels :tt1

skyhawk
01-21-2009, 10:09 PM

At least as much as there was against the Seahawks. But perhaps a few more AZ fans this time. I say 80%+ too!

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

At least as much as there was against the Seahawks. But perhaps a few more AZ fans this time. I say 80%+ too!

It was more than 90% against Seattle, and I expect pretty much the same against Arizona. If Philly had beaten the Cards, then I think we would have only had a 60-40 advantage.

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Let me start by saying I want a win, I could care less if they were wearing those ugly throwbacks with the big old shield on the front, with the yellow helmets, and everyone wearign Casey Hampton's crocks. :D But they just look so much more bad-arsed in the black.

OK, cool, we will get to wear the black uni's for super bowl 44. :tt2 :lol:

costanza2k1
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM

It was more than 90% against Seattle, and I expect pretty much the same against Arizona. If Philly had beaten the Cards, then I think we would have only had a 60-40 advantage.

Shoot is maybe closer to 95%. I read an article yesterday, for the life of my can't find it now, where it said they couldn't find much team gear being worn by fans anywhere. It's almost as if them just getting to the SB is enough for them...

AngryAsian
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Shoot is maybe closer to 95%. I read an article yesterday, for the life of my can't find it now, where it said they couldn't find much team gear being worn by fans anywhere. It's almost as if them just getting to the SB is enough for them...

Its going to be a home-field type vibe. And they'll be so many little stories generated on the all the pre-game sports shows that will make note of that fact. The Cardinals might give us a good game, but the 12th man that field will be THE NATION!

Ozey74
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Let me start by saying I want a win, I could care less if they were wearing those ugly throwbacks with the big old shield on the front, with the yellow helmets, and everyone wearign Casey Hampton's crocks. :D But they just look so much more bad-arsed in the black.

OK, cool, we will get to wear the black uni's for super bowl 44. :tt2 :lol:

We had our choice in #40 and I think it was Cowher that said, "if were not playing in Heinz Field, were not wearing black".

Didn't we play in black @ Philly earlier this year?

:tt2