PDA

View Full Version : We're already HUGE underdogs

WarnerToFitz
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey Steelers Fans, Cards fan since '76 here. Hope to have some good discussions w/yall during the next two weeks.

One thing bothers me a little though......We're one of the hottest teams in NFL history and we're 7 point underdogs? We beat the Falcons, killed the Panthers on the road, and just beat Philly, and we're 7 point underdogs in the Superbowl? What could we have done in the last month to be favored in this game?

That's right. Nothing... But that's why we're gonna shock the world ONCE AGAIN!!!.

I can't wait to win my 75 cents on this at http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=285692 lol

I know Pitt's D is nasty but are they forgetting the threat that our offense is? Maybe Vegas didn't watch the absolute show Larry Fitzgerald put on on Sunday.

Oh well, here's to proving em wrong for the last time :)

sd steel
01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I was surprised the spread was so low, I figured it would open at 10. Guess they are tryin to get some Steeler fans to bet.

The Steelers will win by 14 at least, IMO.

I was right with the Chargers, I predicted double digets, but I missed the the Ravens by one, although we dropped 3 td passes.

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome WtF

You guys are hot but the underdog thing could be due to the strength of our schedule vs. yours. And I bet that 7 lessens as we get closer to game time. You could have beaten an AFC team our shut out your opponents to lessen it. Philly put up nearly 500 yards on you I believe

Yes, fitz is a beast. I'm sure we'll attempt to confuse, scare and rough up warner thereby throwing him off synch and getting him to 2nd guess and rush things. Easier said then done as I know he's an experienced and cool vet but remember, our defense is at least as explosive as your offense. Will be an intriguing matchup

steeld95
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
There is a reason the people in Vegas put the spread at 7 and nothing less. Their objective is to get people to bet an even amount on the both sides. IMO if the spread was six or under, the betting would be mostly sided with the Steelers.

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Good point 95. I didn't think of that

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
We welcome level headed fans such as yourself...if that is what we can call you. :D

I don't see how this will be a contest. Short of a few PI calls getting you to the 1 yard line, how do you plan to move the ball on the best defense in the world? The Chargers were supposed to be some stellar offense and really layed an egg. You better hope you run more than one play in the 3rd quarter...that is domination. It is coming to Tampa...along with Steeler Nation. :tt2

100$handshake
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Steelers Fans, Cards fan since '76 here. Hope to have some good discussions w/yall during the next two weeks.

One thing bothers me a little though......We're one of the hottest teams in NFL history and we're 7 point underdogs? We beat the Falcons, killed the Panthers on the road, and just beat Philly, and we're 7 point underdogs in the Superbowl? What could we have done in the last month to be favored in this game?

That's right. Nothing... But that's why we're gonna shock the world ONCE AGAIN!!!.

I can't wait to win my 75 cents on this at http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=285692 lol

I know Pitt's D is nasty but are they forgetting the threat that our offense is? Maybe Vegas didn't watch the absolute show Larry Fitzgerald put on on Sunday.

So YOU are the Cardinals fan. I knew there was someone in the world who was a Cards fan. Be prepared to be outnumbered at SB 43 by at least 25-1 .

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
HI WarnertoFitz -

Welcome to the Steel Forge, and congrats on getting to the Superbowl!

Can you fill me in a bit on your last game, I didn't get to see much of it ... did you guys play Jeremy Urban opposite Fitz? Why not Boldin?

Also, why do you think Warner is playing so much better this year? He really wasn't so good at the end of his career in St. Louis, or at the Giants, fumbling and throwing pics left and right.

Finally, what do you think about your D? It certainly did the job against the Panthers, not so much against the Eagles. How do you think it will do against our offense?

Well it will be a good game. I hope our coaches change the audibles so that Whiz won't know what play we're about to run!

steelsnis
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
There is a reason the people in Vegas put the spread at 7 and nothing less. Their objective is to get people to bet an even amount on the both sides. IMO if the spread was six or under, the betting would be mostly sided with the Steelers.

Exactly right.

IMO, Steelers should be about a 3-4 pt. favorite in this game. No way they start it that low tho, because no one would bet on the Cards at that number. A TD difference will bring in a good bit of $$$ on the AZ side of things.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
So YOU are the Cardinals fan. I knew there was someone in the world who was a Cards fan. Be prepared to be outnumbered at SB 43 by at least 25-1 .

Definitely, the super bowl will be all black and gold representing. However I could see the general public rooting for the Cards. Underdogs get alot of love, plus the way they've won in the playoffs, high flying offense and what not, non Steeler and Card fans will likely root for the Cards.

Bring it!

ikestops85
01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome WarnertoFitz ... nothing you can ever do about the point spread except root for your team. I agree with you on the show Fitzgerald has put on the entire playoffs. He is the best receiver in football IMHO and we need a good game plan against him. The obvious answer is to pressure Warner who has a habit of giving up the ball when hit. They say defense wins championships and we have one kick arse defense playing for us. I'm looking forward to a good game and I'm sure Whiz will have the Cardinals ready to play just like Tomlin will the Steelers.

snarky
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Not to be a bad word but why spam the board for a referral bonus on your first post?

Otherwise, welcome and good luck.

Ghost
01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Cards fan since '76 here Hows that work? How do you stay a fan of a team that picks up and moves in 88 to a brand new city?

The Falcons had a rookie QB who played like one.
The Panthers had the single worst playoff performance by a single person in the history of playoff in ANY sport!
The Eagles shut down that O for a vast majority of the second half and were moving the ball at will. Good defensive stand at the end but let's not act as if it was a dominating performance all game.

And Im sure Vegas was watching when your team got absolutely demolished by the Vikings and the Patriots at the end of the year.

Theres just a few reasons for the spread. Its really not all that complicated

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Not to be a bad word but why spam the board for a referral bonus on your first post?

That comes randomly from this board I believe snarks, not THE cards fan

Steelgal
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Welcome, but why on earth would you come to a Steeler's board and complain about the lack of respect you're getting and being underdogs? While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, you can't honestly expect us to say "yeah, the Cards are the hottest team right now and they deserve to be favored.

Looking forward to a good game.

flippy
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM

Atlanta, Carolina, and Philly just aren't that good.

You've got a couple great players on your roster.

We're stacked with 53 great players.

The Steelers are a team.

Congrats on being a long time fan.

I'm sorry your opportunity came this year.

This defense is arguably one of the best defenses ever.

We played all the best teams this year.

Our offense stunk and put them in bad situations week in and week out.

Now Ben's shoulder is healthy.

Bottom line, you're screwed.

Sorry.

And we picked the coach we wanted.

You got the sloppy seconds....

snarky
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM

That comes randomly from this board I believe snarks, not THE cards fan

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I must say, he seems much nicer than your average Ravens fan.

Steeler Expat
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Is this a serious post or a spam attempt?

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I must say, he seems much nicer than your average Ravens fan.
True, but then, so does your average child molestor :Hater :tt1

Jigawatts
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry your opportunity came this year.

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
A Cardinals Fan??? They actually exist?!?!?!

I thought their existence was a myth like the Yeti, Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster, or the Clitoris ( :wink: :Boobs ).

I find it strangely appropriate that the first Cards poster has the initials :wft :lol:

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
No kidding ruthless....I lost it when I saw his username and then someone actually addressed him as WtF...

:D

:ratsuck only pretend it says Cards instead of Ratbirds

TallyStiller
01-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Our offense is going to prove the difference. When matched up against anything other than a league top 10 defense this year, we've produced big scores... 38 on the Texans, 38 on the Bungles, 35 on the Chargers, 31 on Cleveland, 27 in Bungles II, 26 on Jax... even counting the 10 point egg we laid in Cleveland Week 2 and the 11 point suckfest in November against San Diego, we average 27 a game when not playing a top notch D.

The Cards D doesn't even resemble a top tier defense... outside of Jake Delhomme pulling a Jake Plummer in his home playoff game against them, the D is giving up copious points and yardage. Unless you can get to 30 on this D, you won't win, and I don't see anybody getting 30 on us.

LasVegasGuy
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Check out our schedule this year. We faced Burress, Douchmenzada, C.Johnson, Welker, R.Moss, S.Moss, A.Johnson just to name a few. Fitzgerald is just another receiver who will now be going up against the #1 pass defense in the league. Also, Warner will be facing a team that is number # 2 in sacks. And all this on a neutral field in nice warm weather. Keep in mind to that the NFC rarely sees the 3-4 played like the Steelers play it and I see Warner having all sorts of trouble. Bet with your head not your heart and lay the 7 because if our offense was rolling this line would be more like 10.

Captain Lemming
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
We're one of the hottest teams in NFL history .....

You win four in a row, and you imagine that is a big deal?
You my friend are a real Cardinal fan.

I always thought like bigfoot, and the yeti Cardinal fans were a myth, I have never really seen one in person.

History?
The perspective from a team that has been so bad for so long......fascinating. :wink:

NorthCoast
01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Nobody has posted the No. 1 reason why we are the big favorites:

WE'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE AND THE CARDS HAVE NOT!!!

In fact, almost our entire roster has a Superbowl ring.

Other than Warner and James, do the Cards have ANYONE else with a ring?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
We're one of the hottest teams in NFL history and we're 7 point underdogs?

What exactly makes you one of the hottest teams in NFL history?

Was it the way you finished the season 2-4 including losses of 21, 28, and 40?

Was it your 9-7 regular season?

How about the fact that you guys won three road games all season, and those three were against your three division opponents - San Fran, Seattle, St. Louis, known collectively as the worst division in football?

Was it the fact that you have completed the easiest SB run possible for a #4 seed - playing #2, #5, and #6 in the conference?

Maybe the fact that winning your awful division somehow gave you home field advantage in two games against teams with better records?

Was it the beat down of a rookie QB on an average team in your first playoff game?

How about giving up 454 yards and coughing up a huge lead to a 9-6-1 team?

Oh wait, full props for winning a game in which Jake Delhomme self destructed like Mike Tyson in front of millions. I guess you guys are one of the hottest teams in history. :lol:

So many reasons to choose from. :roll:

fordfixer
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM

The Steelers players that wiz picked up after we let them go

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 11:46 PM

Clark Haggans. Sean Morey. Jerame Tuman.

Those are the ones I know about for sure. I'm too lazy to research anyone else. :P

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Btw, I forgot to add that I think this guy is only trying to get us to go to that betting website.

snarky
01-21-2009, 12:30 AM
St. Pierre? Was he with us for the SB?

stlrz d
01-21-2009, 01:26 AM
St. Pierre? Was he with us for the SB?

Nope. He played for the Rats in '05 and we brought him back in '06.

steelercorp
01-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Well I just see it as the vegas line had to start somewhere that would have 4/5 of the people betting on the Steelers. Secondly they also didn't know how serious Hines Wards' injury was so they couldn't set it to 10 or higher just in case. Other than that congratz on ur team making it to the Sb for the first time and hope that the Steelers can teach your team how it really is with the big dawgs.

Woooooooooooooooooo.

Djfan
01-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I think Edge James left the Colts before the SB run. Not sure.

Also, about four years ago I DJ'd a wedding for a die hard fan of the Cards. I can't find him anymore, but would love to!

This game is so clear on paper, which makes it hard to predict the score. My final guess is this:

We either win by a hair, or we win big.

I'm not sure.