PDA

View Full Version : A Report from Chem

Chemsteel
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Hello everyone! I'm in Mobile for just a couple days. I'm staying at a place called the Malaga Inn. It is very quaint but if you are in Mobile and stay here you must ask for a remodeled room. It has access to the Internet. Go to Ed's Restaurant on the causway for dinner.

I'm on break but just a few quick notes.....Alex Mack and Max Unger have along way to go if they want to block the larger tackles and nose guards in the NFL. They couldn't even handle Mitch King who weighs only 270 lbs. and playing nose guard.

The best OL down here seems to be the kid from Wisconsin, Kraig Urbik. He handles all the speed rushes and bull rushes. He has a great bend and smooth slide. Also, Loadholt is really big but he is only going to be a run blocking RT. That is all.

The kid from Conneticut is also good and needs some training to go to LT.

I talked to one guy who writes a Blog and told him to watchg out for Hood. The scouts are going to love him. I think he goes by the name Ziggy.

See you all later. I'm working on my defensive strategy against the Cards. I know that I will not blitz six men and certainly not the corners. I also plan to double Fitzgerald and drop back the opposite OLB, on occasion, to hit the middle releases of Fitz and the other guy. This will keep Clark to double with the corners.

Everybody thinks Kurt Warner is tough. I know that a blitz of four or five guys can get to him and he needs to feel the pain of a Steeler sack or at least a knock down. He will throw Hail Mary's all day.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey Chem! Thanks for the scouting report from Mobile! :Beer

D Rock
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Chemsteel-

so I've been reading your stuff for a few years now and always looked forward to getting your insight, but I never was sure how you were invovled in the grand scheme of the football world.

Do you have a position within the Steelers organization?

Chemsteel
01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Chemsteel-

so I've been reading your stuff for a few years now and always looked forward to getting your insight, but I never was sure how you were invovled in the grand scheme of the football world.

Do you have a position within the Steelers organization?

I am retired but do a lot of consulting work for various organizations in the NFL and CFL.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone! I'm in Mobile for just a couple days. I'm staying at a place called the Malaga Inn. It is very quaint but if you are in Mobile and stay here you must ask for a remodeled room. It has access to the Internet. Go to Ed's Restaurant on the causway for dinner.

I'm on break but just a few quick notes.....Alex Mack and Max Unger have along way to go if they want to block the larger tackles and nose guards in the NFL. They couldn't even handle Mitch King who weighs only 270 lbs. and playing nose guard.

The best OL down here seems to be the kid from Wisconsin, Kraig Urbik. He handles all the speed rushes and bull rushes. He has a great bend and smooth slide. Also, Loadholt is really big but he is only going to be a run blocking RT. That is all.

I talked to one guy who writes a Blog and told him to watchg out for Hood. The scouts are going to love him. I think he goes by the name Ziggy.

See you all later. I'm working on my defensive strategy against the Cards. I know that I will not blitz six men and certainly not the corners. I also plan to double Fitzgerald and drop back the opposite OLB, on occasion, to hit the middle releases of Fitz and the other guy. This will keep Clark to double with the corners.

Everybody thinks Kurt Warner is tough. I know that a blitz of four or five guys can get to him and he needs to feel the pain of a Steeler sack or at least a knock down. He will throw Hail Mary's all day.

Hi Chemsteel - Not everyone thinks he's tough! He was a fumbling bull for his last 1 or 2 gigs before he turned into Superman this year. I think his kryptonite will be taking away his 1st one or two reads, and introducing him to the FLA turf before he gets to his 3rd read. I agree with you, with real pressure it will be a Catholic hunting trip for him (Hail Mary's, floating ducks, and like the Pope he will be kissing the ground!).

flippy
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM

I suspect we'll rush 3-4 and get some serious pressure.

And we'll drop 7-8 into coverage.

Ghost
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Good stuff. Thanks.

I noticed the cards were able to move the chains a lot the past game with quick dump offs to the RB underneath the LB's. I think the Steelers really have to watch for that, especially if they cover the WR's as well as they did against baltimore.

grotonsteel
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Kool Report..... :Beer

Any news on Duke Robinson...??

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Kool Report..... :Beer

Any news on Duke Robinson...??

I'm pretty sure he didn't go to the Senior Bowl...

grotonsteel
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info...

Djfan
01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Good stuff. Thanks.

I noticed the cards were able to move the chains a lot the past game with quick dump offs to the RB underneath the LB's. I think the Steelers really have to watch for that, especially if they cover the WR's as well as they did against baltimore.

Enter Timmons.

steelblood
01-21-2009, 08:38 AM

That covers the North team. What about the South?

phillyesq
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Great post, Chem. I always look forward to reading your stuff.

Chemsteel
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
steelblood wrote:

That covers the North team. What about the South?

The South was on the field today. The guys from NFL Network are setting up for a show this pm.

I think the QB play is average at best. This is defintely not a QB Class like 2004.

Michael Oher looked good but he seems lazy part of the time like he is not listening or has an attention deficit disorder. He got beat consistently to his right. He made a lot of good plays though and should go in the first round.

Herm Johnson weighs over 380 lbs. He got beat on every move and could hardly move. He went up against a center from Alabama named Caldwell. Caldwell has nice size and moves great. He is the best center here and is very strong. He pushed Johnson all over the place. Some guy said he has character issues and stole books while in college. This should make his stock drop. He seems like a very likeable person and I would definitely take a look at him in the third or fourth round. He could play guard in the NFL easily.

Jerry Peria is a good DT but may be too short for DE in our 3-4 scheme. They say he is 6'2" but looks to be only 6'. He weighed in at 290 lbs. He could go in the first round to a 4-3 team.

The best lb. on the south team is Clay Matthews. Rey Maualuaga (sp) is pedestrian at best especially in coverage. He was pancaked by a TE from Southern Mississippi who was running all over the place.

Most everybody has an opinion on Alphonso Smith. He is a very great talent at CB. The kid can run, turn on a dime, catch better than most receivers here and is very smart. Everybody thinks he will be the third or fourth CB taken becaus he is only 5'9" tall. But how many times in a season do you face a Larry Fitzgerald or Randy Moss.

That is all I can think of right now guys.