PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward

flippy
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Anyone think Hines will have one of the biggest chips on his shoulder ever in the SuperBowl?

1. He's hurt, can he come back?

2. He has to outplay Fitz and Boldin. I'm sure he feels slighted by all the media attention those 2 get.

3. Santonio has stepped up his game 2 games in a row. Ward has to prove he's the man in Pittsburgh.

4. Sweed delivered a Ward block in the AFCC after Ward went down. Ward needs to prove he's needed.

5. Ward wants to go to Disneyland without being forced to take the Bus.

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I think Hines is very comfortable in his own skin, therefore, I don't think he thinks he has somethign to prove. That's what I like about him. Nothing fazes the guy. Look, if I was a receiver who had a verbal bounty placed on his head, I'd be a little worried, but the guy never gets hit. On top of that, he still goes out of his way to devestate on oncoming defender. Nothing fazes the guy.

papillon
01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Hines doesn't have anything to prove. He knows he'll never be the media darling, because, he doesn't put up the gaudy numbers. It's all the little things he does that separates him from the good receivers and puts him in any discussion about great receivers.

I don't watch enough football to know this, but, as a complete receiver there can't be too many in the same caliber as Hines.

Of course, he will play as if he has a chip on his shoulder, because that is what he does.

Pappy

brothervad
01-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey I got a different question about HInes...

If Hines somehow earns his 2nd MVP award does that ensure his placement in the HOF?

brothervad

Djfan
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey I got a different question about HInes...

If Hines somehow earns his 2nd MVP award does that ensure his placement in the HOF?

brothervad

With his records, his MVP season, and his longevity he will be in the HOF already. Another MVP SB would just guarantee it's first ballot.

papillon
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I think he'll run into the "Steeler bias" to a degree when he comes up for selection. Unless, he gets to 1000 catches, the second SB, potentially another SB MVP, etc, in other words, he'll have to be off the charts to be a 1st ballot IMO. I'm not saying it's right, but, that's what I believe.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I think he'll run into the "Steeler bias" to a degree when he comes up for selection. Unless, he gets to 1000 catches, the second SB, potentially another SB MVP, etc, in other words, he'll have to be off the charts to be a 1st ballot IMO. I'm not saying it's right, but, that's what I believe.

Pappy

I don't know. There is a contingent of writers that value a player who revolutionizes a position and is as unique of a player as Hines is. Its going to depend how loudly those writers argue his case. I can someone like Peter King being completely in Hines' corner when his name comes up. Defenders haven't feared a WR in this game....ever...until Hines. He will be recognized for this imo.

flippy
01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Hines has everything to prove.

I expect the game of his life.

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
The only thing Hines needs to prove to me is that he can play the entire game and keep Sweed on the bench. 8)

flippy
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Pappy

I bet he has another 200 catches in him. And he should finish 10-20 all time in receiving yards.

Throw in the intangibles and he's probably a lock. Being a 1st ballot guy will be tough given the other great WRs playing today.

But if he gets another ring or more, he'll probably go in 1st ballot.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Pappy

I bet he has another 200 catches in him. And he should finish 10-20 all time in receiving yards.

Throw in the intangibles and he's probably a lock. Being a 1st ballot guy will be tough given the other great WRs playing today.

But if he gets another ring or more, he'll probably go in 1st ballot.

Who? TO and Chad Johnson? :roll: :D :D :D

I follow you though. Its a pass happy NFL right now and alot of WR's are putting up big numbers vs Hines who put up decent numbers in a mostly run oriented offense. I think he will get his due.

MaxAMillion
01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
The real problem is none of us know how effective Ward will be for this game. I have a hard time believing he will be close to 100% given the fact he is coming back in two weeks from an MCL sprain. When Tomlin says the next week and a half won't be comfortable for Hines, that tells me that it is going to be a tough go getting ready to play.

Substituting Sweed for Ward is a major loss. The passing game suffers when Ben doesn't have Ward to throw to (especially on third downs).

mshifko
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
hines always thrives on being the underdog, it's his motivation...he's going to use some of those to motivate him to go out and win another world championship...hopefully

ramblinjim
01-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Pappy

I agree Pap. I think Steelers players get the shaft. Dawson was the best player in the league at his position for what 10 years and he isn't in the hall of fame? LC isn't in..... it' just boggles the mind.

AngryAsian
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
WHEN this team wins the Super Bowl, I think only two players will be in contention for MVP. Troy Polamalu or Ben Roethlisberger.

jj28west
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Guys,
I am freaking out about this injury with Ward. How do the Cardinals lineup with the #1, #2, #3 receivers. Does Chromartie (sp) get the fastest or #1 guy? then Hood gets Santonio? Looking at their depth chart http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardina ... t?team=ARI (http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/depthchart?team=ARI)
I am having a difficult time figuring how they would match up with personnel. I only see what TV shows me but for people who have been to the game does Hines command double coverage? (maybe a CB and a safety rolling over).
Have our receivers been physical enough to get off the line effectively? I know they were getting out physicalled during the Eagles game (Hines said it himself).
This sucks...