PDA

View Full Version : Trick plays

steelsnis
01-20-2009, 11:40 AM
One thing I think the Steelers need to be "concerned" with when playing the Cards in the Super Bowl is Whisenhunt's propensity for trick plays.

They ran the exact play vs. the Eagles that the Steelers ran late in the game against the Bengals during the Super Bowl run in the '05 season, both of which let to TD's.

I'm sure he's got some tricks up his sleeve for this game as well. Steelers haven't run any trick plays this year that I can recall.

Any of you think there might be one in the offing for the Super Bowl???

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Funny part about that was I was watching NFLN yesterday, and some lady journalist (can't remember her name) gave the backstory of that play. I was waiting to hear about the Steelers, thinking it was an obvious link since Whiz called it in 05 against the Bengals, and he has a propensity to the trick play. She mentioned that Brian St. Pierre was the guy who determined it was the right play to call, then I was positive it was a Steelers link. But she went off on some tangent about the o-coordinator and how he brought the play from his past team, the Jets I think. :roll:

The Steelers ran the wildcat at least twice in training came, and the Dolphins get the credit for it. Then this. Whatever. :roll:

Ghost
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Do you ever wonder why the Steelers can't run the reverse for more than 2 yards? It just hasn't worked for them.

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
screens haven't been their friends either.

papillon
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
They aren't successful enough running the football to get the LBs to over commit to the flow of the play and the LB usually stays home to make the play. The one that Nate ran the other night looked like it was going for big yards and then all of a sudden it closed down.

The Steelers are just bad at running the screen. Something the linemen do tips off the defensive linemen immediately that a screen pass is being run. Almost every screen pass is stopped because, a DL recognizes the play and pulls off his rush and gets to the outside to mess up the timing of the play.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know if the Cards will run any trick plays ... but just the realistic threat of one could cause opportunities for them...

flippy
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Underthrow that crap when Clark or Polamalu are running across the field to help Ike and Fitz is gonna get laid out....

If I were Lebeau, I'd press Fitz with Timmons at the LOS and tell him to tackle him.

AngryAsian
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Underthrow that crap when Clark or Polamalu are running across the field to help Ike and Fitz is gonna get laid out....

If I were Lebeau, I'd press Fitz with Timmons at the LOS and tell him to tackle him.

We need to do something like that to Fitz. The guy is a beast and something needs to slow him down or he'll light us up for 3 TDs.

Djfan
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM

We need to do something like that to Fitz. The guy is a beast and something needs to slow him down or he'll light us up for 3 TDs.

Agreed. Hold him up at the line, and take those 2-3 seconds to kill Warner. That will shut it down.

sd steel
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
They aren't successful enough running the football to get the LBs to over commit to the flow of the play and the LB usually stays home to make the play. The one that Nate ran the other night looked like it was going for big yards and then all of a sudden it closed down.

The Steelers are just bad at running the screen. Something the linemen do tips off the defensive linemen immediately that a screen pass is being run. Almost every screen pass is stopped because, a DL recognizes the play and pulls off his rush and gets to the outside to mess up the timing of the play.

Pappy

There are two reasons the Steelers have been unsuccessful at screens and trick plays. First being the oline doesn't sell the screen, they release too early, and the other is bad luck. The Ravens had a blitz call on Washington's reverse, otherwise he was gone. It's easy to call great plays when you are able to predict what the defense will do, but when the defense, either by design or luck happens to sniff it out the o cooridinator looks like a fool.

The worst thing about it we haven't been able to run a decent screen in years, Ben hasn't had the touch, Grimm and Z's oline's have released too quickly, and the defense always seems to be expecting it.