PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' choice of music during McGahee injury called into

JAR
01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Unbelievable! Someone always has to start controversy over the Steelers. The music they play at Heinz is cycled, so the song that was playing had nothing to do with McGahee's injury. Music was playing while Ben was laying on the field too. People need to get a life.

Steelers' choice of music during McGahee injury called into question
By
Kevin Allen
on January 19, 2009 10:40 AM | Permalink | Comments (26) | TrackBacks (0)
Nothing more quickly sobers or more aptly reminds us of the inherent risk involved in professional football than when a player lies motionless on the field, as was the case with Ravens running back Willis McGahee late in the fourth quarter of yesterday's AFC Championship after a hard hit by the Steelers' Ryan Clark.

Thankfully, McGahee reportedly has movement in all his limbs, and doctors have labeled him "neurologically intact," according to Sporting News. But that hasn't quelled online chatter about the Steeler sound crew's etiquette (or perceived lack thereof) during the injury time out -- a point during which the seriousness of McGahee's injury was unclear.

Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com quotes a league source as being "livid regarding the fact that, while McGahee was laying on the turf, the folks who operate the sound system at Heinz Field opted to play rock music over the P.A. system. Specifically, the selections were 'Down On The Corner' by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and then 'Smooth' by Santana featuring Rob Thomas."

This begs the question as to whether there's a protocol that teams follow when there's a player injured on the field? Would the Steelers have cranked Rob Thomas if it were one of their own lying motionless on the field?

Perhaps as surprising as the actual playing of the music during the injuries is the callousness Florio's commenters seem to have about the issue, including the gem, "Who cares ... players get injured all the time ... why is this an issue?"

It's clear to me why this is an issue. What are your thoughts?

If you haven't seen the hit and the musically underscored aftermath, John Fogerty comes in at about 1:15:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2 ... durin.html (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/01/steelers_choice_of_music_durin.html)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, someone should have turned the music off. But to assume there were nasty intentions is a) just that, an assumption, and b) not consistent with what I perceive a Rooney attitude to that sort of situation would be.

All this is just the chattering of the nabobs. They would be out of a job if they didn't write about something.

A public apology from the organization for their oversight would go a long way to defusing this tempest in a teapot, and is probably the right thing to do as well.

BTW, has there never been music played when someone was down on the field? What about the Bart Scott hit ... anyone got tape of that with sound?

Chachi
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
This begs the question as to whether there's a protocol that teams follow when there's a player injured on the field? Would the Steelers have cranked Rob Thomas if it were one of their own lying motionless on the field?

As a matter of fact.....yes, they would and did.

viewtopic.php?p=56856#p56856 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=56856#p56856)

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Complete and total non-story. Period. End of story. Let the two-week over-analization of everything Steelers/Cardinals begin. :roll:

True Fan
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
queen's 'another bites the dust' would have been controversial

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
^^^

Wasn't this dude supposed to change his username?

Djfan
01-21-2009, 03:35 AM
^^^

Agreed Mods. Let's get this done!

Also, as a DJ let me assure you that "Smooth" is the ultimate background song. I mean that in the highest of complimentary ways. It has great fill qualities. It was used for that.

If they played "Dead Man's Party" or "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights" (remember that one?) it would have been an issue!

stlrz d
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
^^^

Agreed Mods. Let's get this done!

Also, as a DJ let me assure you that "Smooth" is the ultimate background song. I mean that in the highest of complimentary ways. It has great fill qualities. It was used for that.

If they played "Dead Man's Party" or "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights" (remember that one?) it would have been an issue!

Pat Travers. He is a Cannuck, eh! :D