PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Woodley sets a playoff sack record

fordfixer
01-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Steelers' Woodley sets a playoff sack record

The Steelers linebacker sacked Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco twice Sunday night during the AFC Championship, giving him six sacks for the playoffs. He's averaged two sacks a game.

His performance against the Ravens elevated Woodley to historic standards. He became the first player in NFL history to record three consecutive multi-sack playoff games.

"My role is to put pressure on the quarterback," Woodley said before the game. "Going in and getting sacks from time to time, I'm able to get them, but definitely putting pressure on the quarterback and also helping stop the run by staying in my rush lanes, watching out for any kind of reverses or boots."

Woodley, who said the Steelers' defense is built around its linebackers, pressured Flacco throughout and finished with four quarterback hurries. He had seven tackles, third best for the Steelers in the AFC Championship.

"It's sinking in now (that the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl), but (today) we got to get back to work," Woodley said. "I have confidence in this team. We had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL this year, (and) a lot of people didn't think we were going to do anything with it, but we proved a lot of people wrong."

Jooser
01-20-2009, 07:57 AM
In the Super Bowl, it'll be Woodley's turn to sack Warner and force a fumble, which Jimmy Hate will pick up and score!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Chachi
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
The best thing about the awesomeness of James Harrison is the opportunity Woodley has been afforded.

I liken it to batting behind (or is it in front of, can't remember) a great home run hitter like Bonds or Ryan Howard. The opposition worries so much about, and plans for, that home run hitter that the guy behind (or is it in front of, not a big fan of baseball) him in the line up gets a more favorable situation to do his thing.

This favorable situation Woodley is in where the opponents need to focus more on Harrison has allowed Woodley to develop faster and better, IMO, than he would have had Harrison not had the season he had.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
The best thing about the awesomeness of James Harrison is the opportunity Woodley has been afforded.

I liken it to batting behind (or is it in front of, can't remember) a great home run hitter like Bonds or Ryan Howard. The opposition worries so much about, and plans for, that home run hitter that the guy behind (or is it in front of, not a big fan of baseball) him in the line up gets a more favorable situation to do his thing.

This favorable situation Woodley is in where the opponents need to focus more on Harrison has allowed Woodley to develop faster and better, IMO, than he would have had Harrison not had the season he had.

I hear ya Chach. If you are an OC gameplanning for the Steelers D, which side do you pay more attention to? Not only do you have to worry about Harrison and Woodley, but you also have Aaron Smith coming free if you don't watch out. You've got big Casey pushing the middle making that pocket seem smaller with every passing second. What about Keisel? He'll sneak in for a sack if you don't watch out.

This is really a fun D to watch play.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
You guys are talking about them planning for Harrison. On the radio yesterday, one of the guys mentioned that Harrison and Woodley lined up on the same side. I don't recall seeing this and am curious to watch the Replay and see how they fared with this. Did anyone else notice this? This would be a good change of pace for the defense...really confusing the offense as to which one is coming. Creativity in coaching at its finest.

Hmmm...something Arians lacks...

ramblinjim
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
You guys are talking about them planning for Harrison. On the radio yesterday, one of the guys mentioned that Harrison and Woodley lined up on the same side. I don't recall seeing this and am curious to watch the Replay and see how they fared with this. Did anyone else notice this? This would be a good change of pace for the defense...really confusing the offense as to which one is coming. Creativity in coaching at its finest.

We need someone with Dick Lebeau's mad scientist mind to run this offense with Big Ben. It would be maddening!

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 10:25 AM

They've done that a couple of times this season. :Steel :Steel

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 10:56 AM

I specifically remember one where harrison came off untouched and forced a errant throw from fluncco.

Yes, arians lacks creativity among other things... :Hater

SteelerNation1
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
[quote="Iron Shiek":zfcf3lgd]You guys are talking about them planning for Harrison. On the radio yesterday, one of the guys mentioned that Harrison and Woodley lined up on the same side. I don't recall seeing this and am curious to watch the Replay and see how they fared with this. Did anyone else notice this? This would be a good change of pace for the defense...really confusing the offense as to which one is coming. Creativity in coaching at its finest.

I specifically remember one where harrison came off untouched and forced a errant throw from fluncco.

Yes, arians lacks creativity among other things... :Hater[/quote:zfcf3lgd]
Yeah, Jimmy H put a hit on Flacco as he was releasing the Polamalu INT ball

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
[quote="Iron Shiek":33ykfzcl]You guys are talking about them planning for Harrison. On the radio yesterday, one of the guys mentioned that Harrison and Woodley lined up on the same side. I don't recall seeing this and am curious to watch the Replay and see how they fared with this. Did anyone else notice this? This would be a good change of pace for the defense...really confusing the offense as to which one is coming. Creativity in coaching at its finest.

Yes, arians lacks creativity among other things... :Hater[/quote:33ykfzcl]

Actually, he split two defenders to do that.

RussBII
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Not only do you have to worry about Harrison and Woodley, but Timmons and his freakish speed has got to give OC's fits.

I think the Steelers LBs and Secondary are Set for a while. Now lets get the next generation of Big Snack and Smitty while we can.

(PS: an OL would be awesome too!)