PDA

View Full Version : RussBII's AFCC Road Trip Recap

RussBII
01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Quick run down of my absolutely awesome weekend, with more detailed bits about the game:

Woke up Saturday at 4AM, finished packing, loaded the fiancee and bags into the car and rolled out.

Got into WashPa around 2:00 and hit Shorty's for a hot dog or two. Then drove the fiancee around the old hometown, eventually stopping at a dear old friend's house. We hung out for a bit, the fiancee and the dear old friend love each other, which is always nice. Bought some Hill House Pizza and Osso's Pizza and drove into the burgh to get to the hotel.

Drove in on the Ft Pitt tunnel and heard my fiancee gasp when we exited out onto the bridge. Best... City... Entrance... Ever...

We checked in, and then hit the Southside for a bit. We just walked around some. The number of Steelers fan was staggering. It was awesome. Went back and went to bed.

Woke up on Sunday and hit the Strip district to get some Steelers gear. We bought two hats, and a Polamalu jersey for my girl. We cabbed back to the hotel to get dressed.

Thirty minutes of bitchin' and cussing at my various layers, and we're ready to go. My sister, her husband, my fiancee and I all take a cab over to Station Square. We walk through the mall and then get on the Empress for a ride over to Heinz Field. Items Purchased: four bloody marys and 2 Arns and a Terrible Towel and scarf at the stadium.

Long story short, we get to our seats after eating some Primanti's. Here's where it gets great.

They played Renegade a bit before kick off and the place went nuts. I screamed all throughout the intros and up until the KO. It was cold, but not THAT cold. Everything's a bit of a blur, but here's a quick list of what I remember (in the order i remember it which may not be chronological).

Skippy nails two, the defense looks good, the Ravens squander a fumble and Santonio gets robbed. Hines is hurt but comes back out for one. Ben was hurt? I had no idea until I saw some highlights. Ben's floater to Tone. It looked like a pick from where I was... but then Santonio nabs it and scoots all the way into the Endzone. Place goes insane. BS PI Call, McGahee gets his.

LIMAS FREAKING SWEED!!!!

then

GREAT BLOCK LIMAS FREAKING SWEED!!!!

Halftime, I figure we got jobbed/screwed out of at least 17 points. It's cold, really cold up in section 527. I hit the loo, and get back for the 2nd half.

Berger lays an egg, and another PI Call, and another McGahee TD. It's getting scary at this point...

Then... after that... i remember two things: Troy saving the day, and Clark icing the game. I have no recollection of what I said or did after Troy returned that pick. I remember every step he took, but not what happened afterwards... I must've blacked out due to happiness.

I was in the endzone and saw Clark lining up McGahee... it looked brutal... but clean. I've noticed a lot of folks giving the Steelers crap for the music being played. I'm torn. On TV it sounds horrible, but at the game, silence would've been much much worse.

Anyway, we win, and watch Tomlin say "We've got some business in Tampa...." My favorite part was Hines and Woodley running around the filed slapping hands with everyone.

We walked back to the hotel... I was too tired to party... Fell asleep, woke up, and then drove the normally 8 hour drive back to Raleigh in just under 12 hours... weather was horrible and the car would not co-operate.

If you've read this far, thanks... but I just want to say one more thing:

That was possibly the best 4 to 6 hours of my life. I can't imagine what being at a winning SB would be like, but this has to be the best experience in American Pro Sports....

The only downside was that we had two absolute drunk jackholes behind us. I'm all for yelling and screaming and dropping the occasional expletive but these guys were horrible. F this, F that, F you Fags! Go home! When McGahee was hurt they were cheering. Just total classless a$sbags. That's what gives NFL/Steeler fans a bad name.

fordfixer
01-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Sounds as if you had a great time for the most part. Would of loved to have been there myself. Maybe some day. :tt1

NJ-STEELER
01-20-2009, 01:26 AM
that game was one of the best experiences i've ever had. something every fan should experience

place was nuts after the troy pick 6

awesome time

fordfixer
01-20-2009, 01:31 AM
that game was one of the best experiences i've ever had. something every fan should experience

place was nuts after the troy pick 6

awesome time
Oh sure rub it in to those of us who can't be there :HeadBanger :lol:

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Sounds like you had a great time!!!

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm happy for you brother. Great recap, and sounds like a great weekend. Not jealous at all, but happy for you to experience that. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

MeetJoeGreene
01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Nice recap!!!

I was at the SD game but didn't get to stay overnight... I wish that I could have and done more Pittsburgh things.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Great Story Russ! Glad you made the journey...its always worth it. I've never been to an actual Super Bowl, but to me I prefer being at a winning home playoff game in the cold and rowdy home fans then being at a warm Super Bowl with half the people in the crowd not really fans (although at XL it sure looked like the rowdies took over!!).

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice recap!!!

I was at the SD game but didn't get to stay overnight... I wish that I could have and done more Pittsburgh things.

Come on...is Wooooooo really that far from Pittsburgh? :P

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I was only a couple sections over from you in 525. What is great about playoff games is the consistent movement of the entire upper deck bouncing up and down like old Three Rivers. It rarely happens in the regular season (although it did during the Cowboy game) but in playoff games, the stands are bouncing like crazy. Gotta love it.

And, by the way, we will take over Tampa like we did Detroit. We had anywhere between 90-95% of the fans in Detroit, and I expect a similar showing against Arizona that we had against Seattle. If the Eagles made it instead, I'm sure they would travel well, so we may have had only a 60-40 advantage in fans in that case, but I fully expect a 95-5 split in our favor again this time. Steeler Nation is preparing to mobilize.

RussBII
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Like I said, my only complaint was the jack@sses behind me. But you get that anywhere, we were just unlucky enough to be right in front of them.

I honestly did not notice the deck moving at all, we were on row P so we might've been too low to really feel it. I love sitting opposite the scoreboard. When the bass hits for Renegade the freaking stadium rattles. It was intense.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Too bad I wasn't behind you russ. I was a pleasant drunk at the chargers game...we had a good time for the most part in my section...other than the non fans that were sitting there just watching with minimal reaction.