PDA

View Full Version : DeClueless says "Ben is lucky."

Zigs
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-1089-Baltimore-Sports-Examiner~y2009m1d19-Magical-ride-comes-to-an-end

Magical ride comes to an end
January 19, 8:59 AM
by Steve DeClue, Baltimore Sports Examiner

A tired and injury-riddled Ravens team finally ran into a road block they couldn't get around last night, falling to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC championship game.

It was a disappointing end to what had been a fantastic and unexpected season, especially considering the game was there for the taking. As has been the case all season, the Ravens battled back after a poor first half and gave themselves a chance to make a play and steal the game.

The defense settled down in the second half and shut down the Steelers passing game, which really benefitted from yet another lucky throw from Ben Roethlisberger on the touchdown to Santonio Holmes. Lucky plays like that and balls that bounce your way are signs that a team is destined to win it all. I thought that team might be the Ravens after last week's win, but the Steelers continue to catch breaks.

However, rookie quarterback Joe Flacco finally showed why he is still just that, staring down receivers and making a huge mistake at a most critical time. It also didn't help that his receivers dropped numerous balls throughout the game, costing the Ravens valuable yards and third-down conversions.

Still, to go into Pittsburgh with as many injuries with the Ravens have had, to suffer key injuries during the game and to have not had a bye since Week 2 and keep the game as clos as they did was pretty close to amazing.

Unfortunately, my predicted score for the game was almost perfect, which certainly isn't the way I would describe the night for the Ravens. It's hard to keep the loss in perspective given the fact the Ravens lost to their bitter rival for the third time this season and were really one play away from the Super Bowl. The fact they had everything going against them doesn't matter because an opportunity to get to the NFL's biggest game doesn't come around very often.

The Super Bowl should be an interesting game between two teams with contrasting styles. I think the Cardinals are the hotter team entering the big game, but I have a suspicion that Pittsburgh's physical play will win out in the end.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
DeClueless - A homer with crabs!

He whines about the Ratbirds injuries, people forget how many we have on IR.

Next year should be awesome too! (Not for them though, they are going downhill on D).

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I hate these loser writers that spin the truth to try and suit a story instead of just reporting what really happened. Ben was 'lucky' on the throw to Holmes? Why no mention of how unlucky Ben was that Willie Parker had an easy TD if he could catch the freaking ball that hit him in the face and Limas Sweed dropping an easy TD if he had hands, and the refs ripping us off of possibly another Holmes TD or at least the ball on the 1 foot line.

If Bens offensive teammates made the routine plays and the refs didn't have an agenda to keep it close to make sure viewers stayed tuned in then Ben has one of the greatest offensive games of any QB in playoff history against the #2 defense in the league.

:ratsuck

steelblood
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Next year should be awesome too! (Not for them though, they are going downhill on D).

The Ravens IR list is more significant than ours, IMHO. And, for the game, they were certainly more beat up. We should have really trounced them.

Ghost
01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
It's hard to keep the loss in perspective given the fact the Ravens lost to their bitter rival for the third time this season and were really one play away from the Super Bowl.

What the hell is he talking about, one play?

And how about the huge lucky break the ravens got when berger shanked a punt for 10 yards?

And you have to love how every play the other team makes is "luck" but all the plays your team make is skill :roll:

The Steelers beat the ravens 3 times this season and yet this dolt thinks all three times were pure luck... At some point you need to man up and say "congrats" for beating us.

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
The points are

1. The play wasn't lucky, it was good. Ben had to scramble to create time, and he knew the defender had his back to the play and Santonio had his eyes on Ben. Ben put that ball in the only place he could to make the play. Maybe the run after the catch was more lucky, but the play itself was great quarterbacking and what seperates Ben from guys like Peyton Manning and the like.

2. DeClueless shouldn't be writing anything more than a blog, without the banner of Baltimore Sun. He obviously knows very little about which he writes, is very unprofessionsal, and is nothing more than a delusional fan. It's an insult to nwespapers to be associated with the guy, but I know how that works. They wanted to go the fan route, probably saw a copy editor who was a Ravens fan, and wanted him to write it from that perspective. Newspapering used to be about fact. Now, it is going more the way of fluff.

steelernation77
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure this guy is a professional. He doesn't write for the Sun, I think it may just be a fan blog.

Discipline of Steel
01-20-2009, 12:24 PM

The Ravens IR list is more significant than ours, IMHO. And, for the game, they were certainly more beat up. We should have really trounced them.

They were a beaten team at the end. They were trounced.

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM

In hindsight, that game wasn't nearly as close as the score. We moved the ball on them but made mistakes, they capitalized on our mistakes, getting two first and goal from inside the five on pass interfearance penalties. That game was an arse kicking.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Joe Flacco was the lucky one...he was lucky to be able to walk away from that game in one piece.

:Beer :ratsuck

MeetJoeGreene
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM

In hindsight, that game wasn't nearly as close as the score. We moved the ball on them but made mistakes, they capitalized on our mistakes, getting two first and goal from inside the five on pass interfearance penalties. That game was an arse kicking.

It was indeed. It SHOULD have been like 24-3 at the half. Which is why I was so distraught in the second half when it was 16-14. Thinking about how we should have put them away.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2009, 02:07 PM

It was indeed. It SHOULD have been like 24-3 at the half. Which is why I was so distraught in the second half when it was 16-14. Thinking about how we should have put them away.

I was catatonic with depression in the 4th quarter (until Troy's pic 6), memories of AFCCG nightmares past filling my brain.

Dang, I'm glad we won!

Mel Blount's G
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM

Take away the poor punting, kicking and two questionable yet legit PI's and the game wasn't really as close as it seemed. Not to mention the dropped td pass and the taken-away td. Agreed we should have trounced them but I don't think i injuries should be used as the excuse

turnover's = 4 - 1

brothervad
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
You know what makes me laugh about this clown...

Is that Ben isn't lucky at all...in fact he is fairly unlucky

If Santonio doesn't drop the ball on his lunge it's a TD...that is 4 points less than what Ben had to settle for...

If Limas Sweed doesn't pull a complete idiot move by not looking the ball into his hands that is another 7...

So poor Ben...instead of winning 23-14 he should have blown this team out 34-14

:)

Go away DeClueless...talentless hack

brothervad

ikestops85
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
You know what makes me laugh about this clown...

Is that Ben isn't lucky at all...in fact he is fairly unlucky

If Santonio doesn't drop the ball on his lunge it's a TD...that is 4 points less than what Ben had to settle for...

If Limas Sweed doesn't pull a complete idiot move by not looking the ball into his hands that is another 7...

So poor Ben...instead of winning 23-14 he should have blown this team out 34-14

:)

Go away DeClueless...talentless hack

brothervad

You forgot about Tone dropping another pass that would have been a TD. FWP dropping a pass that if it wasn't a TD certainly would have been a huge gain. Ben was on fire in this game and luck had nothing to do with it. I said it in another thread that I think this was the best game Ben has played as a Steeler. I hope he stays this focused for the SB.

Steeler Mafia
01-20-2009, 04:34 PM
He is just pissy because his team lost like a bunch of babies. Tell him to have a coke and a smile and STFU!

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
He is just pissy because his team lost like a bunch of babies. Tell him to have a coke and a smile and STFU!

They don't sell this coke in Baltimore, though:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ccmphtml/ccimages/w5225.jpg

Only this one:

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A3352/335203/300_335203.gif