PDA

View Full Version : Philly's D vs. Ours

SidSmythe
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Philly has a great defense ... very solid BUT they are mostly a "scheme" defense.

ARIZONA will have trouble b/c we don't have to Overload blitz and Stunt to bring pressure.

PHILLY will bring the house and WARNER would simply throw it into the blitz. We do that too at times, but we aren't relentless about it b/c we have great OLB's that can rush off the edge.

WARNER is good enough to pick apart a blitz, even w/ very little time.

But when we drop into coverage, Woodley, Smith and Harrison can get to him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Philly has a great defense ... very solid BUT they are mostly a "scheme" defense.

ARIZONA will have trouble b/c we don't have to Overload blitz and Stunt to bring pressure.

PHILLY will bring the house and WARNER would simply throw it into the blitz. We do that too at times, but we aren't relentless about it b/c we have great OLB's that can rush off the edge.

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this too, thanks for posting SidSmythe. I just have this mental image of Warner being a fumbling bull under pressure. I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm sure Yoda LeBeau is looking into it!

SidSmythe
01-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this too, thanks for posting SidSmythe. I just have this mental image of Warner being a fumbling bull under pressure. I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm sure Yoda LeBeau is looking into it!

As much as I love Kurt Warner and would LOVE to see the Cardinals win it all, I would like it a lot more to see some tipped INTs and a few Harrison sacks w forced fumbles. :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Is it just me or have we kind of tailed off on the number of sacks later in the year - starting w/ Tennessee. I know we got to Flacco and Rivers a couple of times but they weren't always running for their life.

I am thinking that Warner REALLY needs to be rattled and under constant pressure for us to suceed.

jj28west
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
The play calling (maybe the 1st couple of series are scripted?) by Arizona against that aggresive Philly D to me was the difference maker. I know Arizona has talent and game breakers like Fitz but you have to give 'zona's OC credit with keeping the Eagles off balance without even adding the trick play. The play selection early in the game seemed to neutralized some of the blitzes with the quick designed execution. I have to say that Fitz looked uncoverable and Philly's DB's are not exactly cupcakes either.
Having said all this I do believe the Steelers will have an answer like they have all season.

skyhawk
01-21-2009, 08:41 PM

As much as I love Kurt Warner and would LOVE to see the Cardinals win it all, I would like it a lot more to see some tipped INTs and a few Harrison sacks w forced fumbles. :tt1

Bite your tongue ;)

Mel Blount's G
01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Is it just me or have we kind of tailed off on the number of sacks later in the year - starting w/ Tennessee. I know we got to Flacco and Rivers a couple of times but they weren't always running for their life.

I am thinking that Warner REALLY needs to be rattled and under constant pressure for us to suceed.
Agreed about rattling Warner.

I'm pretty sure B-dub LeBeau eased off his blitzes against Balt and basically said, "Stop our 4 rushers, if you can figure out who they'll be, and beat us rookie". I'd be very surprised if he took this approach against a rhythm and timing veteran such as Warner. They have receivers that can and will go up and get it on any coverage if Warner is given the time for them to get downfield.

Really, I'm intrigued and excited to see how The Wizard (b-dub beau) and this suffocating defense will approach this one. Funny, because I've read that b-dub's players look forward themselves to each week's game plan to see what "The Wizard" pulls out of his hat
http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2008/11/20/12/LeBeau_HOF_99944.jpg

SidSmythe
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM

They were rushing 4 a lot against Flacco. I think they figured he would look where he was throwing even w a lot of time. He did too. He never scanned the field and the amount of people in coverage fooled him badly.