PDA

View Full Version : Two rules questions

snarky
01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Can an offensive player be called for leading with the helmet or helmet-to-helmet contact? There is a lot of whinging over on the Ravens board about the fact that Clark should be fined, suspended etc. But if you watch the replay, McGahee seems to be the player that brought his head into the other guys. I'm not saying that McGahee should have been called, but if it is a safety issue to the league, then it doesn't make sense that offensive players would be immune.

Second, what exactly is the thinking about charging a team a time out for an injury inside of two minutes if the clock is stopped. After the incomplete pass to Sweed, the clock was stopped so why charge a team a time out. I know rules are rules etc. But in the future, why penalize a team like that in the last two minutes. If there is an advantage gained in that situation, it would be gained at any point in the game - not just in the last two minutes (provided the clock is stopped).

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Can an offensive player be called for leading with the helmet or helmet-to-helmet contact? There is a lot of whinging over on the Ravens board about the fact that Clark should be fined, suspended etc. But if you watch the replay, McGahee seems to be the player that brought his head into the other guys. I'm not saying that McGahee should have been called, but if it is a safety issue to the league, then it doesn't make sense that offensive players would be immune.

Second, what exactly is the thinking about charging a team a time out for an injury inside of two minutes if the clock is stopped. After the incomplete pass to Sweed, the clock was stopped so why charge a team a time out. I know rules are rules etc. But in the future, why penalize a team like that in the last two minutes. If there is an advantage gained in that situation, it would be gained at any point in the game - not just in the last two minutes (provided the clock is stopped).

I do believe that helmet to helmet is only called on a hit to a QB or on a "defenseless" receiver.

That rule was put in place to prevent players from feigning injury in order to allow their team time to rest, strategize or what have you.

SidSmythe
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM

If you use your helmet as a weapon, especially using the "crown" of the helmet you can be called for unsportsman like conduct. It's hard not to have some helmet to helmet contact, but CLARK didn't use his helmet as a spear.

the rule is there to prevent teams from faking injuries to stop the clock. Especially if you are the team driving down the field w/ little time left. your RB can pretend he has cramps, stop the clock, allow the team to huddle and buy more time.

snarky
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

If you use your helmet as a weapon, especially using the "crown" of the helmet you can be called for unsportsman like conduct. It's hard not to have some helmet to helmet contact, but CLARK didn't use his helmet as a spear.

the rule is there to prevent teams from faking injuries to stop the clock. Especially if you are the team driving down the field w/ little time left. your RB can pretend he has cramps, stop the clock, allow the team to huddle and buy more time.

Right, but as I pointed out, the clock was stopped when Sweed went down.

And D, I understand what you are saying, but that could happen at any point in the game, no?

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah...it was that Spearing rule. You cant lead with the crown. But to think that people can't block or tackle without there being helmet to helmet contact is just ridiculous. And anyone that says that doesn't know the first thing about football, tackling, blocking or anything.

I forwarded the gif of Sweed awesome block to my friend who is a bungle fan and he says (he will be fined for helmet to helmet). Dude, get your head out of your a$$. It was a clean block. I can't stand when people think Hines is a cheap shot artist for hard blocks when they are clean. They only see a guy get hurt and think its dirty. Learn the dam game.

flippy
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Good points.

I watched the replay several times and Clark was trying to lead with his shoulder. Willis put his head down. The Ravens players and coaches seem to acknowledge it was a flukey hit that can sometimes happen. I'm not sure you can claim Willis did anything wrong either - he was probably ducking to avoid contact when he saw Clark coming. I think this is just unfortunate luck the way these 2 collided.

Interesting point on the timeout. Why force a time out when the clock is stopped anyway. I was embarrassed for Sweed the way he pretended to be hurt. Drops happen, but the faux injury was pathetic. Glad he came back with a block, reception, and broke up an INT. Also glad Ben encouraged him after the play and got his head back in the game.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Right, but as I pointed out, the clock was stopped when Sweed went down.

And D, I understand what you are saying, but that could happen at any point in the game, no?

Yes the clock was stopped, but often times the intent is to stop the clock.

And yes it could (and does), but it became comical the number of players who were "hurt" inside of two minutes so the NFL had to do something about it.