PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt Quote

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Sounds like someone really wanted the Steelers job. Read between the lines and this guy is licking his chops to play the Steelers.'

“Like everyone else, I was a little disappointed that we couldn’t get a Super Bowl matchup with any compelling storylines,” Whisenhunt jokingly said in a statement released by the Cardinals.

“But honestly, it’s unbelievably special that we’re going to the Super Bowl under any circumstances, but now to find out that we’ll be playing the Steelers certainly takes it to another level. Obviously, that organization and the people associated with it hold a special place in my heart. From that standpoint, this is something of a dream scenario for me and many of the other coaches on our staff.

snarky
01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
This is what I like about Tomlin. After the game last night, Nance asked something about the irony of going back to Tampa and Tomlin said 'this isn't about me'.

Meanwhile, Whiz has made it all about him.

No matter the outcome of the SB, I'll take Tomlin.

frankthetank1
01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
i guess so. i dont really see much in that statement at all.

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Of course you don't. What part of dream scenario don't you understand? Sounds like he is putting a spin on the old saying "payback is a bitch."

flippy
01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
This is what I like about Tomlin. After the game last night, Nance asked something about the irony of going back to Tampa and Tomlin said 'this isn't about me'.

Exactly.

Tomlin is all business.

And that's exactly why he was probably chosen over Whiz.

Tomlin always says the right thing.

It's like he was programmed by God to be a football coach.

Steelgal
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

I think it might be different reading it on a message board and seeing the interview. I saw it and took away the same thing as the OP. But you could have seen the interview as well and we just have different opinions. Nothing wrong with that :tt1

frankthetank1
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Of course you don't. What part of dream scenario don't you understand? Sounds like he is putting a spin on the old saying "payback is a bitch."

haha that is just my perception, see in it whatever you want i just dont see "paybak is a bitch" in that quote

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
http://everestwu.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/oh_noes.jpg

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Actually, he said it in an even better way. "This isn't my story, its the Pittsburgh Steelers story." And repeated that several times, what a class act. Whiz is going to get his azz handed to him....

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Actually, he said it in an even better way. "This isn't my story, its the Pittsburgh Steelers story." And repeated that several times, what a class act. Whiz is going to get his azz handed to him....

I hope your right. Would hate to see Tomlin be 0-2 against Whiz with one of the losses being in the Super Bowl.

snarky
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I would hate to lose the Super Bowl period. The name of the opposing head coach doesn't really matter.

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I would hate to lose the Super Bowl period. The name of the opposing head coach doesn't really matter.

Agreed!

Oviedo
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM

This two positions by the coaches is the clearest possible demonstration about how the Rooney's got it right in picking Tomlin. Tomlin is the commensurate team guy where clearly Whiz is very much about Whiz correcting perceived slights. That is why I was so glad to get someone with Tomlin demeaner because in the end I think Cowher had become very much about Cowher and getting his mug on TV on gameday.

Regardless of the outcome of the Super Bowl, I take Tomlin over Whiz anytime.

MaxAMillion
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Dream scenario for some of the coaches. Obviously it is all about Whiz.

100$handshake
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

This two positions by the coaches is the clearest possible demonstration about how the Rooney's got it right in picking Tomlin. Tomlin is the commensurate team guy where clearly Whiz is very much about Whiz correcting perceived slights. That is why I was so glad to get someone with Tomlin demeaner because in the end I think Cowher had become very much about Cowher and getting his mug on TV on gameday.

Regardless of the outcome of the Super Bowl, I take Tomlin over Whiz anytime.

It's very clear the Rooney's had tremendous candidates to be the new head coach. They couldn't have gone wrong either way. But flippy said it best. Tomlin does seem programmed by God to be an NFL head coach.

Steelerphile
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM

I hope your right. Would hate to see Tomlin be 0-2 against Whiz with one of the losses being in the Super Bowl.

I don't think you would hate to see that at all. I think you would like that very much since you're clearly been against Tomlin all along, and a victory by Arizona in the the SuperBowl would give you a lot of pleasure. You could beeyatch about Tomlin for the next year unabated.

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

I don't think you would hate to see that at all. I think you would like that very much since you're clearly been against Tomlin all along, and a victory by Arizona in the the SuperBowl would give you a lot of pleasure. You could beeyatch about Tomlin for the next year unabated.

Oh yea! You got me. I would prefer to see the Steelers lose in the Super Bowl so I can bitch about Tomlin next year :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . Dude, take your sorry............I was warned to play nice since some are easily offended.

bostonsteeler
01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Does it strike anyone that Whiz could have said that in a *nice* way. He is going to play his old team, the one that made him who he is. That's special. No sour grapes here.

The steelers players are probably thrilled to be meeting old friends too..

snarky
01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I saw his presser today and either he walked it back or he did mean it in a positive way when he said it yesterday.

But when I first read the quote I took it to mean that he was excited to show the Steelers what they had let go etc.

But today he was very clear. He said the Steelers gave him the job that led to his current job and that he has nothing but appreciation for them.

Scarletfire1970
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Wasn't it Whiz who didn't want to wait to go through the process of the rooney's interviewing potential HC's? It's Grimm who has a bone to pick with us if any.

Steeler Shades
01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Wasn't it Whiz who didn't want to wait to go through the process of the rooney's interviewing potential HC's?
I could be wrong (again) but as I recall didn't the Cards offer Wiz the HC job and tell him that they didn't want to wait for an answer while the Rooneys went through their "process"? I seem to recall that he had a choice of either accepting the Cards HC job or turning it down and taking a chance on the Steelers hiring a different coach after fulfilling their "Rooney Rule" obligations. 8)

bostonsteeler
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Wasn't it Whiz who didn't want to wait to go through the process of the rooney's interviewing potential HC's?
I could be wrong (again) but as I recall didn't the Cards offer Wiz the HC job and tell him that they didn't want to wait for an answer while the Rooneys went through their "process"? I seem to recall that he had a choice of either accepting the Cards HC job or turning it down and taking a chance on the Steelers hiring a different coach after fulfilling their "Rooney Rule" obligations. 8)

That's pretty much how it went down. Whiz either took the AZ job, or risked not getting an HC job at all.

hellbanger
01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
found this about Whiz's departure.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07016/754080-66.stm

"The Steelers never asked Whisenhunt to try to delay his decision in Arizona so they could hire him. Cardinals officials asked him for a decision Sunday, and he accepted their job offer without checking with the Steelers. Whisenhunt said the Steelers never told him he would not be hired by them.

"I was not told that. They were very honest and open about their process and I respect them for that. They obviously have been very successful with that because they haven't had but two coaches in a long time. I can say nothing but positive things about them, but, no, I was not told that I wasn't getting the job.

"I felt like the situation presented itself to me and it was a tough decision because, like I said, Pittsburgh's been so special to me and my family. We just felt we had to do it."

First published on January 16, 2007 at 12:00 am"

rpmpit
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
The interesting thing about all this is that (according to Shefter on NFLN) it was Grimm and not Whiz who was the other finalist for the job opposite Tomlin. And Whiz even mentioned the fact that he accepted the Arizona job even before the Rooneys had decided on Coach Mike. So its not like Whiz chose Arizona over the Steelers or that the Rooneys chose Tomlin over Whiz. Just a bunch of hype if you ask me.

If anything, I remember that Whiz was mostly upset with Cowher for not pushing him as his successor to the Rooneys. But at that point, Cowher didn't seem to care about much.