PDA

View Full Version : Good news, McGahee looks OK

snarky
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
EDIT: He was released from the hospital

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... id=4204880 (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4204880)

"Ravens running back Willis McGahee was released from UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh early this morning and returned immediately to Baltimore. He is resting at his home today. It is expected that Willis will have a complete recovery from the head and neck injuries he suffered last night.

==========================================

Sorry if this was already posted.

McGahee 'neurologically intact' after big hit
===================================

Posted: January 19, 2009
Sporting News staff reports

Ravens running back Willis McGahee spent Sunday night at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh after a hard hit by Steelers safety Ryan Clark. McGahee has movement in all of his limbs and is "neurologically intact," a team spokesman told the Baltimore Sun.

Ravens team doctor Leigh Ann Curl stayed in Pittsburgh with McGahee, the newspaper reports.

McGahee was taken off the field on a stretcher with 3:29 remaining in the AFC Championship game, which the Steelers won, 23-14. He was hurt after catching an 11-yard pass from quarterback Joe Flacco then being hit by Clark. McGahee's head snapped back, and both players lay on the ground after the hit. McGahee fumbled, and Pittsburgh recovered the ball at the Ravens' 38-yard line.

"It was a heck of a hit, for one thing," Ravens coach John Harbaugh told the newspaper. "Willis made a nice play leading up to that. Ran a great route and had a nice catch. Your first thought is obviously concern for Willis and for any player. Once we got out there and hearing the doctors talk and seeing him move around, you felt like it was going to be OK. Both sides obviously had concerns, but we were happy it was not immediately serious at that point."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=508689 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=508689)

Sugar
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear he's OK. He had been one of their few bright spots on Offense. The guy has a knack for getting hurt in huge games- see the National Championship game against OSU his last year at the U.

Steeler Mafia
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Good to hear that he is going to be okay cause he got knocked the F'Out!

SidSmythe
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Good News . . . great hit though.

Steelgal
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM

I agree, great news!!!!

Unfortunately the media is all over the hit today, as I expected. It seems about 50-50 on if it was clean or dirty. The Pats message board was up in arms over it BIG TIME. Said he was the guy that took Welker out and want him suspended. They're just freaking out that WHEN we win the Superbowl in 2 weeks, it will ruin their 'dynasty of this decade', LOL!!! They fear we will go on a roll and ruin their legacy. I love it!!!!!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Jom112
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Meh, I wouldn't say it was a great hit. Clark got his bell rung as well on the hit.

I won't say it was dirty but I'll just say it was unnecessary at that point in the game...

snarky
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Meh, I wouldn't say it was a great hit. Clark got his bell rung as well on the hit.

I won't say it was dirty but I'll just say it was unnecessary at that point in the game...

Are you serious, he knocked the ball loose and sealed the game. If hard play was unneccessary, why were the ravens running pass plays over the middle?

Jom112
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Are you serious, he knocked the ball loose and sealed the game. If hard play was unneccessary, why were the ravens running pass plays over the middle?

Come on now, 3:39 left in the 4th with a 9 point lead and Joe Flacco at the helm?

No need to launch yourself head first at that point. I can see if he was trying to throw a shoulder and the angle ended up being bad which caused the helmet to helmet. Which is why I said I won't call it dirty but at that point in the game you don't need to try and lay someone out like that.

If on the next drive a Raven defender ended up going a bit "low" on Ben, what would you think? Just hard football or unnecessary at that point in the game?

snarky
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry, but that's just silly.

Teams much worse than the ravens have scored 10 points in less than a minute. If the Ravens wanted the game to end, they could have taken a knee. They were still playing to win so there is no reason for the Steelers not to do the same.

And as far as leading with the helmet, well you just showed your bias.

EDIT: Your insinuation with your last question is that Clark's intent was to injure. I think his intent was to do his job which is to knock that friggin ball loose.

SidSmythe
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Come on now, 3:39 left in the 4th with a 9 point lead and Joe Flacco at the helm?

No need to launch yourself head first at that point. I can see if he was trying to throw a shoulder and the angle ended up being bad which caused the helmet to helmet. Which is why I said I won't call it dirty but at that point in the game you don't need to try and lay someone out like that.

If on the next drive a Raven defender ended up going a bit "low" on Ben, what would you think? Just hard football or unnecessary at that point in the game?

I don't know what league you are watching, but that play sealed the deal. When the Ravens had the ball w 6 minutes left and down by 2, I was worried about Joe Flacco. I would have been worried about Brian St. Pierre or Mike Tomczak.

All I know is Clark is 30 lbs. lighten than McGahee, he knocked the ball loose, sealing the deal. It's unfortunate they collided helmets. If they didn't McGahee gets up from that hit.

It also sends a message to the Cards next week. We aren't messin' around.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Good lord, have you ever played football?

You play HARD ON EVERY PLAY. Players who ease up are the ones who often get hurt.

Take a look below...the best view is at the 30 second mark. You can see Clark turning his head slightly to the side and at the same time McGahee puts his head down. Helmet to helmet ensues.

[youtube:11ob7dw6]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9CiicXmINE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9CiicXmINE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:11ob7dw6]

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Players that don't play hard get hurt or get cut. The game was not over.

And hitting someone hard is not the same as "going low on the qbs knee". The latter is dirty, the former is part of the game. Don't ever get that confused.

ramblinjim
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree, it looks to me like Clark is trying to lay a shoulder into the guy and the helmet to helmet was incidental. It was a brutal hit in a brutal game. Nothing dirty, just good old fashioned "lace'em up and knock the snot out of the other guy" football.

JAR
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
is Ray Ray OK? His major drama queen act while Willis was down was over the top. We know what you were doing Ray, just doing it to get camera time.

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Here we have Steeler fans worried about an injured Ravens player. Fans at the stadium cheering him on. Steeler players concerned and praying for a Ravens player.

Good job Steelers and Steeler fans.

The Ravens players are putting bounties out on our players. The Ravens board is happy Hines is hurt and wish he substained more or even a worse injury.

The Ravens fans are cheering that the bounty on Hines has been fullfilled.

Raven fans and raven players are what we thought the were, punks and low lifes.

Jom112
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Good lord, have you ever played football?

You play HARD ON EVERY PLAY. Players who ease up are the ones who often get hurt.

Take a look below...the best view is at the 30 second mark. You can see Clark turning his head slightly to the side and at the same time McGahee puts his head down. Helmet to helmet ensues.

As I said it wasn't a dirty hit, I agree he tired to use his shoulder. I have no problem with players playing hard wire to wire BUT that hit I thought was unnecessary. Look back to the Welker hit, here's a quote from after the game by Clark:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08336/931941-66.stm

"They said don't leave your feet," Clark said the officials told him.

Look back at the hit, you can see Clark leaving his feet. Clark is 5'11" and Mcgahee is 6'0". It's not like he's trying to take Todd Heap down so he would need a little leverage to hit his chest.

Again I don't think he was trying to hit helmet to helmet, but he was definitely trying to go shoulder to helmet. I don't think Clark is a dirty player, I thought the hit was just a bit unnecessary. I'm fine with a hard hit with that much time left, I just didn't think you need to launch yourself at a person.

And for people calling me biased, I probably am, but when Hines took out Rivers I didn't say that was dirty at all. It was good block, just unfortunate what happened afterwards...

snarky
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
His foot is on the ground when he makes the hit. The End.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I have neither the time nor inclination (ok, I have the time :oops: ) to get in a pissing match over this.

As a player you hit hard every chance you get...it's what you get paid to do. Clark's hit took the ball away from the opponent. He did his job and he did it well.

The quote on the Welker hit is what the official said to him at the time. Meaning immediately after the play. After having only seen it at game speed.

Clark doesn't leave his feet until making impact.

[youtube:1ltiswkx]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxkrgIpxa34&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxkrgIpxa34&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1ltiswkx]

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 04:12 PM
:Agree This is indefensible. How can you tell a defender to not hit hard...just because there's 3 minutes left. Unbelievable!

Jom112
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I have neither the time nor inclination (ok, I have the time :oops: ) to get in a pissing match over this.

I agree it's not worth going back and fourth over. It happens, it's the NFL...

Jooser
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM

LMAO. All the rats fans on their message board think Clark should be fined and suspended for the Super Bowl for leading with his head. I don't agree, Clark lead with a War -effing - Head!!!!! BOOOOM!

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 04:32 PM

LMAO. All the rats fans on their message board think Clark should be fined and suspended for the Super Bowl for leading with his head. I don't agree, Clark lead with a War -effing - Head!!!!! BOOOOM!

So does Clark have a nickname yet? I like Warhead (or War "effing" Head :D ). Or the Human Missile. I don't know, dude needs some kind of nickname like that. Small package, big impact.

papillon
01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
This hit is part of the game; Ronnie Lott did it, Donnie Shell did it, Kenny Easley did it, Clark does it, Adrian Wilson does it, etc, etc...

The team that gets the hit thinks it's cheap and uncalled for and the team that delivers it believes that it is just good hard football. Everyone else looks at it in a biased fashion based on which team they dislike the most.

Football is a collision sport and those kinds of things happen.

Pappy

Jooser
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
How about SCUD

S udden
C ollision
U r
D ead

or

S teelers'
C lark
U shers
D eath

any ideas?
Dude definitely needs a nickname.

Jigawatts
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
How about SCUD

S udden
C ollision
U r
D ead

or

S teelers'
C lark
U shers
D eath

any ideas?
Dude definitely needs a nickname.

Clark Bar

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Seriously. If freakin Anthony Smith is 'Kill Switch', then Clark has to have some kind of nickname. The players must call him something other than Ryan or Clark...

Steeler Mafia
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Seriously. If freakin Anthony Smith is 'Kill Switch', then Clark has to have some kind of nickname. The players must call him something other than Ryan or Clark...

How about :

Ryan 'Boom Boom' Clark
or
"Keep 'em Cryin" Ryan Clark
or
Ryan "The Shark" Clark

NorthCoast
01-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Listening to Sporting News Radio, they were all over Clark getting a reputation now as a dirty player (Welker, now McGahee). Anybody that watches the Steelers knows that Clark has always hit harder than his body weight would suggest. Honestly, if he doesn't make that play, who knows if Flacco drives the field on us, then an onsides kick.... When you play the Steelers, you need to be prepared to play 60 minutes, not 55....that's what AZ almost made the mistake in doing.

Ryan Clark is finally being talked about in the media although for the wrong reasons....the guy is a solid free safety.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Ryan "Cruiser" Clark. As in "Cruise Missile".

Wouldn't work so well for Gay, I suppose.