PDA

View Full Version : The more I see it

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 02:52 AM
the more I realize the brilliance of Ben's TD pass to Holmes.

Ben could see the field w_i_d_e open beyond Holmes and he threw it to a spot that made Holmes have to turn up field to catch the pass. There was no way the DB was getting that ball so it was either a catch by Holmes or an incompletion.

What a great play!

Wolfhound45
01-19-2009, 03:16 AM
stlrz d, here is an interesting thought on your own observation...

Defense powers Steelers past Ravens into Super Bowl XLIII
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter ... 18_BAL@PIT (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20090118_BAL@PIT)

"Here's my advice to the Arizona Cardinals: Don't rush Ben Roethlisberger," the Ravens' Trevor Pryce said. "After that, he's a playground football player. That's what he is, and he's a damn good one."

Roethlisberger would laugh at that analogy -- he said the Steelers' big play of the game, a 65-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes that made it 13-0, was improvised "just like on the playground."

Yes sir!

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 03:20 AM
stlrz d, here is an interesting thought on your own observation...

Defense powers Steelers past Ravens into Super Bowl XLIII
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter ... 18_BAL@PIT (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20090118_BAL@PIT)

"Here's my advice to the Arizona Cardinals: Don't rush Ben Roethlisberger," the Ravens' Trevor Pryce said. "After that, he's a playground football player. That's what he is, and he's a damn good one."

Roethlisberger would laugh at that analogy -- he said the Steelers' big play of the game, a 65-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes that made it 13-0, was improvised "just like on the playground."

Yes sir!

That's what I saw man. He could see a lot of room behind Holmes and led him up field with that pass. And there was no way the DB could get to it.

It was a GREAT play!

DukieBoy
01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
the more I realize the brilliance of Ben's TD pass to Holmes.

Ben could see the field w_i_d_e open beyond Holmes and he threw it to a spot that made Holmes have to turn up field to catch the pass. There was no way the DB was getting that ball so it was either a catch by Holmes or an incompletion.

What a great play!

That was a brilliant, instinctive throw, perfectly placed and with exactly the right touch and velocity to allow SH to adjust to the ball

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Ben is the man. Period.

flippy
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
great point. and great hustle by Nate and Heath to block

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
great point. and great hustle by Nate and Heath to block

One of my favorite parts of that run was Nate pointing to Leonhard trailing Holmes. From that point Holmes kicks in the afterburner and leaves Leonhard in his wake.

VirgilBosett
01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Holmes looks great in the open, and I hope it shows just how important it is to extend him......Ben looked awesome yesterday.

ESPN (Merrill Hoge) just did a little piece on him .....awesome performance sliding left and right, keeping his cool while being flushed and competing several tough throws.

Awesome. :Beer

Steelgal
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Let us thank the Chargers and Giants again for overlooking Ben, by taking Eli and Rivers instead. I'd take him in a heartbeat over the other two!!!!!

That was an amazing TD. When he put it up, I thought it floated forever and was expecting the worst. Glad I was wrong

:Cheers

snarky
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Good call dude. I had a bit of an oh crap moment when it left his hand but you are dead right in what you say there.

In a weird way it reminds me of how Lemieux and Gretzky both had a knack for putting a goal on a pass by leading the guy they were passing to into right move to get free for the shot.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
That play was a beautiful combination of seeing the Ben who was signed to that $100M contract, and the reemergence of Holmes.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Sorry if it's getting old, but this play just keeps going thorough my mind again and again.

To add to what Hoge said, Tom Jackson said the same thing. Ben has this awesome ability to keep his focus down field even when chaos is all around him.

Yesterday he passed Aikman for playoff wins in first 5 seasons. Only one man is ahead of him...Brady.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Ben even said in the post game presser, he just kept his head up and saw the DB with his back turned, so he knew Holmes would get a big gain off it. Instincts, man...instincts. You can't teach that $hit.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Let us thank the Chargers and Giants again for overlooking Ben, by taking Eli and Rivers instead. I'd take him in a heartbeat over the other two!!!!!

That was an amazing TD. When he put it up, I thought it floated forever and was expecting the worst. Glad I was wrong

:Cheers

Ben is a senior weaner. Not a Senor Wiener. A senior weaner.

By that I mean that his style of plays causes heart attacks, and weans the senior citizens from the population.

That thing floated so long it looked like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade lead blimp. I had two heart attacks until Holmes caught it. And I ain't even a senior citizen!

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I know it's not live, but every time I hear Berman say, "Ben throws a duck" on that play I want to reach through the screen and smack his fat joweled face!

At least Tom Jackson breaks it down and says what really happened.

Steelgal
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I know it's not live, but every time I hear Berman say, "Ben throws a duck" on that play I want to reach through the screen and smack his fat joweled face!

Berman used to be really good. But over the years, his analysis has went down the drain. Not sure what's happened to him, but he used to be one of my favorites.

flippy
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Can't remember who, but one of the Ravens said to beat Ben, we shouldn't have pressured him.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Can't remember who, but one of the Ravens said to beat Ben, we shouldn't have pressured him.

It was Trevor Pryce. I think Wolfie quoted it earlier in the thread.

DukieBoy
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Berman used to be really good. But over the years, his analysis has went down the drain. Not sure what's happened to him, but he used to be one of my favorites.

It's that Berman now thinks of himself as the show, and he has thus become a shallow cliche of what he once was.
juxtaposed to Tomlin's quote that this SB is about the Steelers and not about him ...

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
[youtube:20sqedch]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQaUES63Evg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQaUES63Evg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:20sqedch]

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
While the Ravens defense might be good, they sure looked $hitty on that play. We should never have scored on that play. Holmes, Ben, and the downfield blockers are simply awesome.