PDA

View Full Version : Empty backfield on 3rd and 1

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 02:44 AM
http://heyugly.org/images/QuestionMark.jpg

I have posted it on this board several times throughout the season and I posted it in the game chat tonight. Regardless of what happens Arians will be gone.

Tomlin wants what is best for this team (obviously) and Arians is an obvious weak link. He's gone.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 02:46 AM
You have been right a lot, my brother. I hope you are again here.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 02:50 AM
I honestly believe he will be gone. Not speculating or hoping. I really believe he's done after XLIII.

SuperSize
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I hated the play/alignment also. But at the same time, Ben said after the game that if Hines is in, they convert. Nate ran the route just a little differently than Hines, and they couldn't hook up.

However, you would like to think the Steelers could at least line-up in a formation that they might run out of.

Pete

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Gary Russell. That is twice now in 2 weeks Russell should have been used. The goaline in the Chargers and that play. The guy knows his role and has fresh legs. Two very questionable play calls by Arians.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm glad you have this thread started d because I was coming on here to start it.

I nearly threw my cell phone at my plasma when I saw the alignment and when they didn't convert I threw a few slippers at my wall and cursed Arians to no end.

I don't care man...his philosophy sucks. I will not support anything Arians does. Call a decent game in the SB and get the heck out of town. Phuck this numbnutz.

LasVegasGuy
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
http://heyugly.org/images/QuestionMark.jpg

I have posted it on this board several times throughout the season and I posted it in the game chat tonight. Regardless of what happens Arians will be gone.

Tomlin wants what is best for this team (obviously) and Arians is an obvious weak link. He's gone.

Very surprising that you actually find something wrong with the Steelers. Arians is a clown and I hope your right. He is our weak link heading into the Super Bowl. However, a Super Bowl win will all but assure that he is staying for another year.

motter1975
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Arians, you are the weakest link...goodbye!

flippy
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I didn't mind it.

Odds are Baltimore woulda stopped a rushing attempt.

pittpete
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi, its 3rd and 1.
We will tell you we are going to pass.
We will make it easy for you.
We won, but the gameplan was disgusting as usual.
If not for a desperation toss by Ben that could have been picked we sucked on O.
If I was going to watch 1 more handoff up the middle to Willie on first down I was going to FN explode.
Suggs was hurt and we did not run 1 sweep to his side.
ARIANS IS A BONEHEADERD MUTHA FKN DOG POS.
I HOPE HE FN DIES!!!$%23485

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I didn't mind it.

That's not the point though. The point is they don't even have to think about the run.

ramblinjim
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Although I don't exactly wish for Arians' demise I was not happy with the empty backfield set on a 3rd and 1 that we needed to convert at the time. I'm not sure he won't be back. Arians has been here two years and last year was Bens best year statistically and this year we are going to the SuperBowl. I know we have the best D in the league and Ben seems to will us to victory sometimes but I can see these arguments being used to keep the guy around.

The other thing that bugs me (and I think someone else as said it before) that it seems that the Steelers always wait till the play clock is on 1 to snap the ball. I understand it's TOP and take time off of the clock working there but if you do it on every play it's not exactly to hard to time the snap count. Just weird. Of course they do it on every play and Colon still gets called for false starts at least twice a game.....is he just dumb?

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Although I don't exactly wish for Arians' demise I was not happy with the empty backfield set on a 3rd and 1 that we needed to convert at the time. I'm not sure he won't be back. Arians has been here two years and last year was Bens best year statistically and this year we are going to the SuperBowl. I know we have the best D in the league and Ben seems to will us to victory sometimes but I can see these arguments being used to keep the guy around.

The other thing that bugs me (and I think someone else as said it before) that it seems that the Steelers always wait till the play clock is on 1 to snap the ball. I understand it's TOP and take time off of the clock working there but if you do it on every play it's not exactly to hard to time the snap count. Just weird. Of course they do it on every play and Colon still gets called for false starts at least twice a game.....is he just dumb?

FREAKIN IDIOT is more like it.

flippy
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I didn't mind it.

That's not the point though. The point is they don't even have to think about the run.

Ben coulda ran a draw.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
He takes enough punishment (through the OL's and his own fault), no need to add more punishment and put him at risk.

stlrz d
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I didn't mind it.

Ben coulda ran a draw.

Correct. He could have. Or he could have passed it.

He could also run a draw with an RB in the backfield, or hand it off, or throw a screen, or throw it to the RB in the flat, or...well, you get the idea.

I'm not looking to fight with you so I hope you don't take it that way. I'm just saying on 3rd and 1 no RB is a bad idea and limits what the D has to think about.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
The other thing that bugs me (and I think someone else as said it before) that it seems that the Steelers always wait till the play clock is on 1 to snap the ball. I understand it's TOP and take time off of the clock working there but if you do it on every play it's not exactly to hard to time the snap count. Just weird.

I have said this before. How difficult would it be to hike with 7 seconds left a couple times a quarter? It would completely throw the defense anticipation off.

But, alas, this requires creativity, and Brucey A has none. I know it's Ben calling the hike, but Brucey is the coach. So Brucey, here's a mock conversation for you:

"Ben, I want you to hike the ball about 7 seconds earlier than usual in the next play or two. It will through off the defense."

Just a thought. It might help your career (which should be continued elsewhere).