PDA

View Full Version : Didn't a FB work really well for FWP a week or two ago?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I think I saw a FB line up once, maybe twice at most today.

47 Yards for FWP. Coincidence?

AngryAsian
01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
ARIANSinism at its best.

papillon
01-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I have believed that a knee jerk reaction to wanting BA fired isn't the way to go, but, after watching BA call 1st down run after 1st down run and put the offense in a bad down and distance, I'd fire his azz tomorrow and take over play calling responsibilities if I were MT.

BA must go, BA must go, BA must go, come nation repeat it with me, BA must go, BA must go... :tt1

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 12:48 AM

Come on, you are better than this. It all boiled down to the job the Ravens did/do stopping the run. Having a FB would not had made a big difference in the run game. Sometimes it is not about what the Steelers do. Ravens are a top run defense in the league for a reason.

AngryAsian
01-19-2009, 12:50 AM
We will be the first team in Super Bowl history to win and later fire one of the coaching staff. How could you stray away from last week's game plan that yielded you 35 points, 342 total yards of offense, 171 yards of which were gained on the ground and controlled the clock 36+ minutes of the game? Pure lunacy or idiocy?

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 12:55 AM
We will be the first team in Super Bowl history to win and later fire one of the coaching staff. How could you stray away from last week's game plan that yielded you 35 points, 342 total yards of offense, 171 yards of which were gained on the ground and controlled the clock 36+ minutes of the game? Pure lunacy or idiocy?

The game plan was not a huge problem. People continue to lose sight of things. Think Hines going out had something to do with a change in game plan? How about the drop by Sweed? The dropped pass by Holmes? The refs got the call right but it is a bad rule. There were other missed opportunities.

Do you believe the Chargers defense is as good as the Ravens? It is clear to me that the Ravens are a better defensive unit. That had something to do with how this offense performed tonight.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Come on, you are better than this. It all boiled down to the job the Ravens did/do stopping the run. Having a FB would not had made a big difference in the run game. Sometimes it is not about what the Steelers do. Ravens are a top run defense in the league for a reason.

Hey Burgh, help me see why a FB picking off the lead defensive guy busting through the line wouldn't help FWP a lot? The way I'm looking at it, if he can get by the first guy, the sky's the limit, but his first move isn't the best - that's where a road paver could help.

Thanks!

Steel Life
01-19-2009, 12:58 AM
The faulty running game was because of three factors...
1. The Ravens' D - Give credit where credit is due, they always play Willie well.
2. Willie - He seems to run indecisively against the Ravens & didn't bounce things outside well at all.
3. Arians - I don't know how you gameplan based on running into the teeth of the defense...especially when you know from past games that you can't do it. All things considered, it's another example of poor play-calling by BA. Not to mention that the WRs continue to have difficulty getting open on the short routes...something has to be done.

AngryAsian
01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
The faulty running game was because of three factors...
1. The Ravens' D - Give credit where credit is due, they always play Willie well.
2. Willie - He seems to run indecisively against the Ravens & didn't bounce things outside well at all.
3. Arians - I don't know how you gameplan based on running into the teeth of the defense...especially when you know from past games that you can't do it. All things considered, it's another example of poor play-calling by BA. Not to mention that the WRs continue to have difficulty getting open on the short routes...something has to be done.

Preach it, my brother!! Preach it!

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 01:06 AM

Hey Burgh, help me see why a FB picking off the lead defensive guy busting through the line wouldn't help FWP a lot? The way I'm looking at it, if he can get by the first guy, the sky's the limit, but his first move isn't the best - that's where a road paver could help.

Thanks!

A lot of the time, the guy busting through is a guy already accounted for in the blocking scheme. A FB will not help with that. It is up to the guy to sustain the block. The Olineman or TE does not hold the block. The guys up front lose the one on one battles.

Give Ravens credit. They have a guy in Ngata that commands double teams. They have a good LB corps. They are a top run stopping defense for a reason.

Chadman
01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
OK- Bruce Arians is kinda in a no-win situation here. Here's a few pro's & con's to consider...

1. Ravens D is good. Very good. Just not as good as the Steelers.

2. The Steelers OL seems weak at run blocking in the middle.

3. When Ben drops back to pass, he often drops in a sack. The Steelers NEED to run to keep Ben alive.

4. The WR's can't get open very well in the short to medium range- outside of Hines (who got injured).

5. 14 points left on the field by Holmes & Sweed.

6. Davis can't block very well. McHugh is probably the best option as a FB. But even with a FB in the game- Parker got nothing.

7. Pittsburgh is just not a good environment to throw many deep passes. It's a running game type stadium. You have to run on this field. If you can't rrun well, you had better be able to pick up the 5 yard outs. But...the WR's can't get open around 5 yards...unless you are Hines Ward...who was injured.

Yeah, Arians is predictable. Running Parker up the gut for 2 yards seems a waste. But Ben dropping back & getting sacked is worse. What's the lesser of two evils?

Don't think for a minute that Chadman is defending Arians & claiming he is a good OC. BUT...if he had Mendenhall & some quality blocking to work with (and WR's that can get open), Arians might not look so bad.