PDA

View Full Version : How many times did we run on 1st down?

SteelTorch
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I hate to find fault after a win like that, but I swear we must have called a running play on EVERY 1st down for the last 3 quarters, and almost always up the middle. The playcalling was almost as predictable as you could get.

Dear Bruce, if something isn't working the first 30 times, DON'T DO IT! Playcalling like that could have easily cost us the game.

Yes, I still want this man gone. :?

Sugar
01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
I was actually happy that we committed to the run. The Ravens were keyed in on stopping Willie, but you have to make them respect that it's coming. Especially with a home run threat like Willie.

papillon
01-19-2009, 12:54 AM
I was actually happy that we committed to the run. The Ravens were keyed in on stopping Willie, but you have to make them respect that it's coming. Especially with a home run threat like Willie.

Being committed to the run doesn't mean run the ball on every first down. That was ridiculous and was the biggest reason the Ravens were even in the game. Ben was continually put in 3rd and 8, 3rd and 11 and asked to bail Arians' azz out by making a play. The good news is that Ben was able to do just that, the bad news is that, because Ben was successful Arians will probably be around next year.

I'm tired of him at this point...

Pappy

Jooser
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I wasn't so disappointed in the fact that we ran on first down, but it was the fact that we ran UP THE MIDDLE that bugged me. There was room to run on the outside, that's all I'll say...

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Yards are tough to get against the Ravens run or pass. Even though Ravens knew they would probably not have much success running on 1st down, they probably ran it a lot.

If the Steelers pass on 1st down and Ben throws an INT, people will complain about that. Sometimes, coaches cannot win with fans. Even when they win the game. LOL

Chachi
01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
I was hoping at least at some point they would throw in some play action pass on first since we were so consistent on running EVERY first down play.

papillon
01-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Yards are tough to get against the Ravens run or pass. Even though Ravens knew they would probably not have much success running on 1st down, they probably ran it a lot.

If the Steelers pass on 1st down and Ben throws an INT, people will complain about that. Sometimes, coaches cannot win with fans. Even when they win the game. LOL

Some fans may complain if Ben throws an INT on first rather another run. But, a predictable offense is a detriment to a team. Only, and I repeat only, because the Steeler defense is so f***ing good are the Steelers going to the Superbowl. Bruce Arians ans his offense couldn't win a game if they were asked to win a game. He's horrible.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
01-19-2009, 01:19 AM
I was hoping at least at some point they would throw in some play action pass on first since we were so consistent on running EVERY first down play.
between bad punts and giving up a few yards before they punted, we were at our own end of the field a lot... they were conservative and didn't want Ed Reed to pick one already in FG range.

I thought the play calling was decent, actually.

Chadman
01-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Some fans may complain if Ben throws an INT on first rather another run. But, a predictable offense is a detriment to a team. Only, and I repeat only, because the Steeler defense is so f***ing good are the Steelers going to the Superbowl. Bruce Arians ans his offense couldn't win a game if they were asked to win a game. He's horrible.

Pappy

Ok, Chadman isn't as against Arians as most- but gotta agree with you Pap. The defence is the reason the Steelers are in the SB. No other reason.

LeBeau should have a trophy made just for him if the Steelers win the SB...

SteelTorch
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
between bad punts and giving up a few yards before they punted, we were at our own end of the field a lot... they were conservative and didn't want Ed Reed to pick one already in FG range.

With all due respect, playcalling like that would have made it easier for an Ed Reed INT, because the D would know when we would run, when we would pass, etc. That's not even considering all the 3rd and longs Ben was asked to bale us out of. Sounds like easy INT territory to me.

The playcalling, IMO, was irresponsible and could have sent us home instead of to Tampa.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM

With all due respect, playcalling like that would have made it easier for an Ed Reed INT, because the D would know when we would run, when we would pass, etc. That's not even considering all the 3rd and longs Ben was asked to bale us out of. Sounds like easy INT territory to me.

The playcalling, IMO, was irresponsible and could have sent us home instead of to Tampa.
when you're up 13-0, you can run, run, pass... in a close game, i'd like to think he'd call it differently. they were playing the field position game and minimizing the opportinity for INT, by minimizing the pass attempts.

i think it'll be different with AZ, whose defense isnt as good.

Sugar
01-19-2009, 01:43 AM
OK- Willie is one of those backs that can be stopped for short/no gain a number of times and then break one big, so it's no shock that we kept going to him. Of course, you get stuck in 3rd and 8 and you have to pass at that point.

The Cards D has been a LOT better in the postseason. Fortunately, we have three games worth of film on them to see what they are doing differently. We showed the Cards that they won't be able to stuff Willie a couple time and he'll just go away.

papillon
01-19-2009, 01:59 AM

when you're up 13-0, you can run, run, pass... in a close game, i'd like to think he'd call it differently. they were playing the field position game and minimizing the opportinity for INT, by minimizing the pass attempts.

i think it'll be different with AZ, whose defense isnt as good.

You're mistaking the Mike Tomlin Steelers for the Bill Cowher Steelers. Tomlin likes to step on the opponents throat when he has them down, not run, run, pass, punt.

I hope Arians got under Tomlin's skin as much as he did mine today and he fires his azz tomorrow.

Pappy

schillah
01-19-2009, 02:03 AM
The only play I didn't like was 5 wide on 3rd and 1.....

grotonsteel
01-19-2009, 02:09 AM

That play was horrible...Why was Gary Russell not in there???

BA sometimes tries to be too smart..,,

Flasteel
01-19-2009, 02:42 AM
It was pathetic. Yeah, I also don't like being negative after a win, but Arians is the most unimaginative OC we've ever had bar none. Every single drive in the 2nd half began with a run up the middle for one yard or less. I hate the ****in' guy period and hope against all odds he's fired.

By the way...

Woooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!

Djfan
01-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I agree with Pap. Only stronger.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-19-2009, 09:50 AM
My wife, who doesn't really follow football and knows very little about the game, was sitting there watching, and SHE remarked, "Why are they so predictable with their plays?
Every time they get the ball it's run, run, pass..."

I just shook my head.

Oviedo
01-19-2009, 10:46 AM

That play was horrible...Why was Gary Russell not in there???

BA sometimes tries to be too smart..,,

I was screaming the same thing. "Put in Russell!!!!"

He is a legit power runner and I would like to have seen what he could do for a couple of series. Heck, it took 3 or 4 Ravens to take him down on a return. Give the kid a chance.