PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Wow, BA's playcalling really has this Ravens D baffled........not.

The bright side, if we lose this could be BA's deathknell.

grotonsteel
01-18-2009, 11:27 PM

3rd and 1 ...Steelers go empty backfield... Bruce Arians need to go this offseason...

MaxAMillion
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I think the Super Bowl equals a return for Bruce Arians.

frankthetank1
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM

unfortunately i think you may be right

Chadman
01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
A healthy Rashard Mendenhall & better O-Line play probably result in better play calling too...

johnstownsteel
01-18-2009, 11:38 PM

3rd and 1 ...Steelers go empty backfield... Bruce Arians need to go this offseason...i jumped on here after the game to make ONE post. 3rd and 1...EMPTY BACKFIELD....not even the threat to run the ball. i was completely at a loss for words. that one single play left me absolutely livid for the remainder of the game. we lose...i already had my bags packed for pittsburgh in search of that fool.

i'm so freakin'g pumped we're heading to the "show" again. the post game celebration got me out of that funk but again, ba needs to hit the bricks after this year.

steeler_george
01-18-2009, 11:47 PM

3rd and 1 ...Steelers go empty backfield... Bruce Arians need to go this offseason...i jumped on here after the game to make ONE post. 3rd and 1...EMPTY BACKFIELD....not even the threat to run the ball. i was completely at a loss for words. that one single play left me absolutely livid for the remainder of the game. we lose...i already had my bags packed for pittsburgh in search of that fool.

i'm so freakin'g pumped we're heading to the "show" again. the post game celebration got me out of that funk but again, ba needs to hit the bricks after this year.
:Agree was thinking the same damn thing.

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 11:48 PM
They pretty much went turtle from the beginning of the 3rd quarter on. OK...OK, yes I suggested the turtle in an earlier post if we were leading by 10 or more.

The pass on 3rd and 1 was pretty shocking. I was really hoping for a fake to FWP with a swing pass to Moore or Russell. Sad....so many weapons, no plan to use them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-18-2009, 11:50 PM
They pretty much went turtle from the beginning of the 3rd quarter on. OK...OK, yes I suggested the turtle in an earlier post if we were leading by 10 or more.

The pass on 3rd and 1 was pretty shocking. I was really hoping for a fake to FWP with a swing pass to Moore or Russell. Sad....so many weapons, no plan to use them.

That call, and that call alone, should be Exhibit #1 for canning him.

papillon
01-19-2009, 01:09 AM
A healthy Rashard Mendenhall & better O-Line play probably result in better play calling too...

You know what though? Lets compare offensive game plans here Cam Cameron vs Bruce Arians. Cameron had to try and hide a rookie quarterback, running back playing on one leg (McClain), a wide receiving corps with one legitimate WR and playing against the #1 defense in the league. And, until Troy makes the play of the game the Ravens were in the game.

Bruce Arians on the other hand has a pro-bowl quarterback, a pro-bowl running back, a pro-bowl WR and some other play makers on offense and he couldn't put the game away. There is no excuse for Bruce Arians; I am officially on the "fire Bruce Arians" band wagon. As a matter of fact, Tomlin should fire him tomorrow and take over the play calling himself.

If I were Ben today when Arians sent a play in today I would have changed it at theline of scrimmage 80% of the time.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
01-19-2009, 01:11 AM

3rd and 1 ...Steelers go empty backfield... Bruce Arians need to go this offseason...
that one drove me crazy... i agreed with most of the rest of the plays... they didn't open it up until they were outside of their own end of the field - keep it out of that ravens d's hands... that's fine if you have a lead. i thought he was a solid B grade today.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Welcome aboard the train Pap. I'm DJ, the conductor.

Oviedo
01-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Whether or not you fire Arians Tomlin needs to step in and change some of the schemes that are being run, particularly reestablishing a legitimate threat of running the ball down the opponents throat. That is part OL and part getting Mendenhall back.

It was beyond my belief that Russell never got a carry. We have have a power runner and he never sees the field against a power defense. At least try and see if he is more successful that FWP. In addition, he is a more legit pass catching threat than FWP.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not an Arians fan and agree that he should be fired, but just for kicks I'm going to play devils advocate:

We were facing the #2 D in the league, a team that knows us very well.

Arians ran a gameplan designed to take Ed Reed out of the game. If you were told before the start that Reed would have almost zero impact, you would consider that one objective has been reached.

Only one turnover, the Parker fumble. If you were told that we would only turn the ball over once, you would consider that another objective reached.

Finally, we were without Ward and came within a Sweed drop on an easy throw, and an overturned TD to Holmes (which, it is being said on another board will be ruled by the league as a bad overturn) from blowing this team out.

Lets ask this question. If Sweed caught the ball (not Arians fault) and Holmes' was ruled a TD, would we all not be sitting here writing about the wonderful job of playcalling by Arians?

Northern_Blitz
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought that BA called a pretty good game.

First we score 16 points and only have 1 TO against the Ravens.

Second, what do you think the score becomes if:

- Holmes keeps the ball going to the ground (+4)?

- FWP catches the ball on that swing pass (looked like he had alot of green in front of him) (+4?)?

- Sweed catches the wide open deep ball (+7)?

IMO that's 11 points we definately left on the field (first 2 in the same drive) because our guys can't catch (all were well thrown balls). I think our biggest problem on O is execution (specifically catching the damn ball), not play calling.

Also, bad time management cost us another 3 points. It's had to say if that was on Ben, or Ariens. But, we should have thrown that ball away.

I didn't like the 3rd and 1 call either, and I HATE the end around to Washington, but those are my only two problems, and I think both are small.

BTW

:ratsuck

AngryAsian
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I think my main bone of contention with the play calling is that we are constantly trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. So many plays left us little to go with and putting our offense in a 3rd and long situation thus necessitating a long pass play (some of those dropped passes that were mentioned). The Ravens' offense is not as explosive as the Cards will be and Flacco does not have the extensive experience to extend plays and read defenses like Warner has. You can't keep shoving a RB between tackles without a lead FB against the number one rated defense against the run.

That to me is the reason BA needs to go. He's too stubborn to ever try and adapt, or for that matter use the proper tools. Send him out to do your yard and he'll try and edge your driveway with a leaf blower... if he wanted to pound the rock between the tackles, put Russell in with a lead blocker and do some damage, not FWP who has a history of poor gains against the defense you're trying to punish. The guy doesn't have the ability to recognize what a defense is willing to give him and then implement a plan of attack that will yield him some significant points. We are in the Super Bowl with the #1 rated defense and the 24th rated offense... we are not a balanced football team and we win INSPITE of Bruce Arians' play calling.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm afraid you're right.

If we could get an OC that would take advantage of the STRENGTHS of our players,
the Steelers could REALLY dominate the league.

Discipline of Steel
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM

I'm afraid you're right.

If we could get an OC that would take advantage of the STRENGTHS of our players,
the Steelers could REALLY dominate the league.

Although our run plays were less than successful, they set up the critical passes beautifully. We only gained like 50 yards but one stat that is almost as telling is 28 rushing plays. As usual, that took some of the wind out of their sails and cannot be underestimated.

Although I believe Arians is not a true Steeler (he doesnt have any form of power running package?) he can always get himself a FB in the offseason and adopt a more bruising mentality when the need arises. (like late in playoff games when we have the lead) Until then we are stuck with him for at least the next game.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I thought that BA called a pretty good game.

- FWP catches the ball on that swing pass (looked like he had alot of green in front of him) (+4?)?

IMO that's 11 points we definately left on the field (first 2 in the same drive) because our guys can't catch (all were well thrown balls). I think our biggest problem on O is execution (specifically catching the damn ball), not play calling.

Also, bad time management cost us another 3 points. It's had to say if that was on Ben, or Ariens. But, we should have thrown that ball away.

I didn't like the 3rd and 1 call either, and I HATE the end around to Washington, but those are my only two problems, and I think both are small.

BTW

Execution did kill us in big spots and the score could've been different. But lets face the facts. The gameplan was horrible. We got that fluky TD by Holmes and nothing else from our offense save for the occasional big 3rd down conversion (which I won't underestimate, anything that keeps a drive going is nice). But 5 wide on 3rd and 1 and FWP up the middle continuously on 1st down is ridiculous. Ravens gave us that game, and the Defense bailed us out again. The Offense did everything they needed to, which is fine, but for Phuck sake...these games shouldn't even be contests...

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Here's your Bruce Arians offense.

1. Titans run all over the Ravens by running wide. We run wide once for seven yards and never take advantage of a busted up Suggs. All of Willies other runs are towards the middle that got snuffed.

Arians is a chump.

2. We go for a first down with an empty back set. Why not just tell the defense to play pass. Ray Lewis almost makes the pic.

Arians is stupid.

3. Our only offensive TD came froma busted play. A great busted play but nothing you can attribute to Arians.

Please fire Arians after the season.

4. Could Willie Colon even make it as a backup on another team ?

Thanks front office.

5. They know Willie can't catch, why throw it to him ? Should have had Moore in there for the runningback pass and catch plays. What the hell , Arians offense is spelled out anyway.

I'm very happy we won and it's great ! We got this far despite Arians.

If you don't want to hear anymore Arians bashing, don't listen to ESPN radio because he is being torched by the media, sports annoucers, ex-players and call ins.

mshifko
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
our second half philosophy killed us...i understand you have to be committed to the run, however there is no need to run the ball on 1st/2nd down, get nothing, and set up a 3rd and long...we won the game however, that was one thing that was driving me nuts...the passing lanes were there

pittpete
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
we are constantly trying to shove a square peg in a round hole

I think I counted 10 series in a row we ran on 1st down up the middle.
The Ravens interior lineman were basically immovable objects all game, yet we continued to bash our heads. Maybe if we got Russell in for a few, then tried Willie outside, but that playcalling was horrendous as was Willie Colon.
Go back to Walmart Willie :Hater

MaxAMillion
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
[quote="Northern_Blitz":2cskqjax]I thought that BA called a pretty good game.

BTW

Execution did kill us in big spots and the score could've been different. But lets face the facts. The gameplan was horrible. We got that fluky TD by Holmes and nothing else from our offense save for the occasional big 3rd down conversion (which I won't underestimate, anything that keeps a drive going is nice). But 5 wide on 3rd and 1 and FWP up the middle continuously on 1st down is ridiculous. Ravens gave us that game, and the Defense bailed us out again. The Offense did everything they needed to, which is fine, but for Phuck sake...these games shouldn't even be contests...[/quote:2cskqjax]

That is not really fair. You can't point to the one "fluky" touchdown and ignore the two first half touchdown drops. The Steelers should have had at least 23 points in the first half and that is with Arians calling the plays. The second half was conservative by nature and I don't really blame the staff that much. They knew that Flacco could not drive the ball without the help of a turnover.

I am no Arians fan, but you have to point out both sides of the story. The players prevented the offense from scoring a lot more points in the first half.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
That is not really fair. You can't point to the one "fluky" touchdown and ignore the two first half touchdown drops. The Steelers should have had at least 23 points in the first half and that is with Arians calling the plays. The second half was conservative by nature and I don't really blame the staff that much. They knew that Flacco could not drive the ball without the help of a turnover.

I am no Arians fan, but you have to point out both sides of the story. The players prevented the offense from scoring a lot more points in the first half.

Agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that there were many stupid play calls made this year and last.

He has to go.

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM

Agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that there were many stupid play calls made this year and last.

He has to go.

Show me one coach that does not make stupid or questionable play calls.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
[quote="Northern_Blitz":3uu5gfn9]I thought that BA called a pretty good game.

BTW

Execution did kill us in big spots and the score could've been different. But lets face the facts. The gameplan was horrible. We got that fluky TD by Holmes and nothing else from our offense save for the occasional big 3rd down conversion (which I won't underestimate, anything that keeps a drive going is nice). But 5 wide on 3rd and 1 and FWP up the middle continuously on 1st down is ridiculous. Ravens gave us that game, and the Defense bailed us out again. The Offense did everything they needed to, which is fine, but for Phuck sake...these games shouldn't even be contests...

I am no Arians fan, but you have to point out both sides of the story. The players prevented the offense from scoring a lot more points in the first half.[/quote:3uu5gfn9]

Ummmm, my first sentence says: "Execution did kill us in big spots and the score could've been different."

And players dropping the ball or not...running 5 wide on 3rd and 1 is complete and utter bull$hit. Along with constantly putting the offense in no win situation 3rd and longs. Ridiculous. But we are in the Super Bowl in spite of it, and will have to live with it for at least another year because I don't see the Cards beating us, so Arians will stick around...unfortunately.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM

I can't. There isn't one.

But, his level of predictability, stubborness, not using his players, not repeating what works, repeating what doesn't work, relying on Ben's broken play skills, ..... is beyond acceptable.

If I were an O Coordinator looking for a job, I would drool over that job. The talent level is huge, and young.

NorthCoast
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Watching the NFC then AFC games yesterday, the contrast was glaring between the AZ's offense and ours. Granted we don't have the awesome WR tandem of Fitz and Boldin but watch closely the formations, routes, and blocking schemes of AZ. It puts our O to shame.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
It's also been correctly pointed out that if the O coordinator is not responsible, but execution is, then Bad Work LeBeau isn't so special, just the execution of the players.

Wrong on both accounts.

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 09:44 PM

But, his level of predictability, stubborness, not using his players, not repeating what works, repeating what doesn't work, relying on Ben's broken play skills, ..... is beyond acceptable.

If I were an O Coordinator looking for a job, I would drool over that job. The talent level is huge, and young.

Ok, I guess it is fairly safe to say that you will always find something to complain about no matter who is calling the plays. People get so caught up into predictability. Every team knows what the other team wants to do. It is no mystery. It is all on film.

Right now you are just stating what you think and not facts. He uses the players. He changes things up. Ben relies on his broken play skills because he is not always quick with his decision making. There are other things to consider as to why Ben has to use his broken play skills. Those are the same skills Ben used since he was a rookie under Whiz. It is nothing new my friend.

Some of you only see what you want too see and not facts. There were several successfully called and executed plays against the Ravens. The plays that failed were due mostly to poor execution by the players and the Ravens defense had a say. People get upset because they tried to run the ball. They have to try to run the ball no matter how hard it may seem. It takes time off the clock, shortens the game, and lets the defense rest. You do realize the clock stops on an incomplete pass? The Ravens tried to run too. Is their OC incompetent? The Cards ran the ball against a tough Eagles run defense. Is their OC incompetent too? I will guess the Cards will try to run the ball against us even though no teams have much success against us. They have to try to run the ball for several reasons. It could turn out to be a bad run stopping game for our defense. You never know.

All this going after Arians without taking a look at other factors is pointless.

Steeler Shades
01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
People get upset because they tried to run the ball...
Who?
The only posts I've read were critical of HOW or WHEN we tried to run the ball. But thanks for the explanation of why teams need to run, it almost distracted from the poor play calling in regards to HOW and WHEN we attempted to run. 8)

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Watching the NFC then AFC games yesterday, the contrast was glaring between the AZ's offense and ours. Granted we don't have the awesome WR tandem of Fitz and Boldin but watch closely the formations, routes, and blocking schemes of AZ. It puts our O to shame.

What was so special about the Cardinals formations, routes, and blocking schemes? What I saw was a Cardinals offense that executed what they wanted to do. Eagles knew what the Cards wanted too do. The Cards out executed the Eagles. That is what I saw.

When the Cards did not execute for most of the second half, they loss the lead.

Djfan
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Wow Burgh. I really don't understand what is not understood. Run up the middle for no yards, over and over again, and then do it some more. That's dumb. Ignore the skills of MM and Russell for nearly the whole game. That's dumb. Not using Miller a lot more. That's dumb.

Run around the end. That's smart. Quick pass plays. That's smart. Play action. That's smart.

I guess the play calling of BA was more in the dumb category as outlined above than in the smart category.

I won't complain about LeBeau like this. He gets it.

BURGH86STEEL
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow Burgh. I really don't understand what is not understood. Run up the middle for no yards, over and over again, and then do it some more. That's dumb. Ignore the skills of MM and Russell for nearly the whole game. That's dumb. Not using Miller a lot more. That's dumb.

Run around the end. That's smart. Quick pass plays. That's smart. Play action. That's smart.

I guess the play calling of BA was more in the dumb category as outlined above than in the smart category.

What about the successful plays that were called and executed? Why do you ignore those plays? Why do you ignore the successful calls that had open WRs but the passes were poorly thrown or the WRs dropped those balls? How about the great pass protection that Ben had for most of the game? I doubt any player that the Steelers had at RB would've had much success running against the Ravens.

NorthCoast
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Ok, I guess it is fairly safe to say that you will always find something to complain about no matter who is calling the plays. People get so caught up into predictability. Every team knows what the other team wants to do. It is no mystery. It is all on film.

Right now you are just stating what you think and not facts. He uses the players. He changes things up. Ben relies on his broken play skills because he is not always quick with his decision making. There are other things to consider as to why Ben has to use his broken play skills. Those are the same skills Ben used since he was a rookie under Whiz. It is nothing new my friend.

Some of you only see what you want too see and not facts. There were several successfully called and executed plays against the Ravens. The plays that failed were due mostly to poor execution by the players and the Ravens defense had a say. People get upset because they tried to run the ball. They have to try to run the ball no matter how hard it may seem. It takes time off the clock, shortens the game, and lets the defense rest. You do realize the clock stops on an incomplete pass? The Ravens tried to run too. Is their OC incompetent? The Cards ran the ball against a tough Eagles run defense. Is their OC incompetent too? I will guess the Cards will try to run the ball against us even though no teams have much success against us. They have to try to run the ball for several reasons. It could turn out to be a bad run stopping game for our defense. You never know.

All this going after Arians without taking a look at other factors is pointless.

You may be right. We might not really know all that is going on. Maybe Ben is too pigheaded to call the plays that Arians has planned and changes things at the line.

But you also have to ask yourself a few questions if it really is only about execution:

1) why do teams like the Patriots chose to cheat by videotaping the other team? Why not just tell the defense what play your O is going to run before each play? As long as the O executes, it won't matter. Playcalling is to catch the opponent with the wrong personnel or formations so the odds of executing correctly greatly improve.

2) why does our 2 minute drill seem so efficient? are we suddenly better at executing or is the play selection better?

3) why not just run the same play throughout the entire game? If we execute it right, there is no stopping it.

I won't argue that execution is a PART of a good offense, but the types of plays called and the sequence in which they are called also play a part. Is it any mystery why the Steelers defense is routinely ranked in the top 10 in the league and is also known as one of the most complex?

Djfan
01-19-2009, 10:28 PM

What about the successful plays that were called and executed? Why do you ignore those plays? Why do you ignore the successful calls that had open WRs but the passes were poorly thrown or the WRs dropped those balls? How about the great pass protection that Ben had for most of the game? I doubt any player that the Steelers had at RB would've had much success running against the Ravens.

I've acknowledged both of those things. In that area we agree.

The problem is that he went away from the successful plays quickly, waded through the repeatedly unsuccessful ones, survived on Ben's broken play ability, then returned to the calls that didn't work.

Take away the broken plays, and the mistakes, then the ones that worked and I bet (since I only did this in my mind and not by real analysis) and you have too many repeats of dumb plays.

Running FWP up the middle on the Rats, without a FB is dumb. Period. He called it alot.

Steeler Shades
01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I doubt any player that the Steelers had at RB would've had much success running against the Ravens.
Maybe so, but if it is necessary to run in order to keep an opposing defense "honest" it sure would be great if we could try some different RBs running different plays on downs other than first occasionally. WP up the middle 23 times for 40 yards is not making much of an effort to ATTEMPT to be successful. I'm just suggesting that maybe after the first 12 or so of the same plays with the same RB that Airens MIGHT pick up on the fact that THOSE plays are not working and TRY some different plays and RBs. What is the worse that could happen....the other RBs or running plays could net less than two yards? 8)

Djfan
01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm just suggesting that maybe after the first 12 or so of the same plays with the same RB that Airens MIGHT pick up on the fact that THOSE plays are not working

That's funny!

Or tragic!

hellbanger
01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Well maybe after the SB some team will want Arians as a HC.....lol......never know.

AngryAsian
01-20-2009, 01:28 AM
I doubt any player that the Steelers had at RB would've had much success running against the Ravens.
Maybe so, but if it is necessary to run in order to keep an opposing defense "honest" it sure would be great if we could try some different RBs running different plays on downs other than first occasionally. WP up the middle 23 times for 40 yards is not making much of an effort to ATTEMPT to be successful. I'm just suggesting that maybe after the first 12 or so of the same plays with the same RB that Airens MIGHT pick up on the fact that THOSE plays are not working and TRY some different plays and RBs. What is the worse that could happen....the other RBs or running plays could net less than two yards? 8)

Completely agree! Fact, Hartwig with troubled knee and had to deal with Gnata. No leading FB to help clear the way. FWP with history not running well against the stout Ravens D. Most of FWP's success against SD and for most of his career were the runs that went to the corners. But did we do that? Nope... especially towards Suggs who showed obvious signs his shoulder was really ailing him. The biggest, dumbest play called... 3rd and 1 and no RB in the backfield. Talk about abandoning the game plan that yielded you 35 points the previous week. But the numbers are staggering 23 times for 40... that's just ugly.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Completely agree! Fact, Hartwig with troubled knee and had to deal with Gnata. No leading FB to help clear the way. FWP with history not running well against the stout Ravens D. Most of FWP's success against SD and for most of his career were the runs that went to the corners. But did we do that? Nope... especially towards Suggs who showed obvious signs his shoulder was really ailing him. The biggest, dumbest play called... 3rd and 1 and no RB in the backfield. Talk about abandoning the game plan that yielded you 35 points the previous week. But the numbers are staggering 23 times for 40... that's just ugly.

This is absolutely ridiculous. HOW DO YOU NOT ATTACK THAT SIDE!? I kept waiting for it, and it only happened once or twice...and he got 5-7 yards each time! WTF!

fezziwig
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
:Clap

Why doesn't Tomlin recognize what you and most of us see ? Tomlin talks about the offense doing better and they're working on it but, does Tomlin know what is right or wrong ?

Is Arians tossing all the blame on the players ? He must be because the scheme has not changed.

I hope Arians gets his pink slip as soon as the Super Bowl is over and he can take Colon with him.

Northern_Blitz
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
It's also been correctly pointed out that if the O coordinator is not responsible, but execution is, then Bad Work LeBeau isn't so special, just the execution of the players.

Wrong on both accounts.

Let's say LeBeau calls a great blitz, and Troy gets great penetration and has the QB wrapped up. Then the QB breaks the tackle, and throws a TD. Would that be LeBeau's fault, or would Troy's execution be to blame?

This is the exact same thing that happened on the plays I mentioned. BA called great plays that got guys free for what should have been big gains, and probably TDs. But, guys didn't catch the ball (despite some great throws). That's good play calling, but not good execution. This is much different than the loss to Philly, where I think that the coaching was about 90% to blame for the loss (through total lack of adjustment). Personally, I think that people have decided to hate BA and are looking for any reason to fire him.

The big issue people seem to be having is the spread on 3rd and 1. I also didn't like this play. But the ravens also had the same formation on the 4th and 1 they lined up for (but then called a TO). In games this year I've seen teams do this more and more. I'd say 90% of the time, it leads to a QB sneek. I always scream at my TV that it's stupid, but I'd say that it works more than trying to pound it up the gut because it catches the D off guard. I thought they we were calling a sneak out of that set, and I was just praying the BR would be OK. Instead, we get a pass. If the D was thinking like me, this isn't a bad play call. I think it's too cute, and I'd like to have a RB in there to make the D respect the run. But, I don't think Balt was respecting our running game anyway. It's one play, get over it. I also wonder if this play was affected by the fact that Ward wasn't in. It sounded like the WRs were a bit confused because all their roles were different without 86.

I don't know about the throw to Moore before the half. To me that was the worst play of the game. The coaches should have made it VERY clear to Ben that he should throw it to the end zone, the sidelines, or out of play. That's the worst coaching decision of the day, and it cost us 3 pts.

Despite these plays, I think that since the POs Ariens has been an above average OC. I think he's put together game plans that have exploited weaknesses of opposing Ds, and tried to take away their strengths. Baltimore had 10 turnovers in the playoffs before last weekend. We only gave them one, and that's why we won. Part of that is because we played conservative after we were up by 13 with the worlds best D on our side.

:2c (not sure why it's 20 cents, but I'll roll with it)

and

:ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck (one for each win)

Oviedo
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Wrong on both accounts.

Let's say LeBeau calls a great blitz, and Troy gets great penetration and has the QB wrapped up. Then the QB breaks the tackle, and throws a TD. Would that be LeBeau's fault, or would Troy's execution be to blame?

This is the exact same thing that happened on the plays I mentioned. BA called great plays that got guys free for what should have been big gains, and probably TDs. But, guys didn't catch the ball (despite some great throws). That's good play calling, but not good execution. This is much different than the loss to Philly, where I think that the coaching was about 90% to blame for the loss (through total lack of adjustment). Personally, I think that people have decided to hate BA and are looking for any reason to fire him.

The big issue people seem to be having is the spread on 3rd and 1. I also didn't like this play. But the ravens also had the same formation on the 4th and 1 they lined up for (but then called a TO). In games this year I've seen teams do this more and more. I'd say 90% of the time, it leads to a QB sneek. I always scream at my TV that it's stupid, but I'd say that it works more than trying to pound it up the gut because it catches the D off guard. I thought they we were calling a sneak out of that set, and I was just praying the BR would be OK. Instead, we get a pass. If the D was thinking like me, this isn't a bad play call. I think it's too cute, and I'd like to have a RB in there to make the D respect the run. But, I don't think Balt was respecting our running game anyway. It's one play, get over it. I also wonder if this play was affected by the fact that Ward wasn't in. It sounded like the WRs were a bit confused because all their roles were different without 86.

I don't know about the throw to Moore before the half. To me that was the worst play of the game. The coaches should have made it VERY clear to Ben that he should throw it to the end zone, the sidelines, or out of play. That's the worst coaching decision of the day, and it cost us 3 pts.

Despite these plays, I think that since the POs Ariens has been an above average OC. I think he's put together game plans that have exploited weaknesses of opposing Ds, and tried to take away their strengths. Baltimore had 10 turnovers in the playoffs before last weekend. We only gave them one, and that's why we won. Part of that is because we played conservative after we were up by 13 with the worlds best D on our side.

and

Good post. Most of the league is using different spread formations in short yardage, but since most fans don't watch other games they just focus on what does not work for us.

When you look at the offense that Arians has put in place it is very similar to wat has been very successful in New England and similar to what has gotten the Cards to the Super Bowl.

This is a passing league now. Get use to it. The NFL has changed the rules to make it that way. Why do you think that OL can essentially tackle Harrison and Woodley with no calls? To pump up the offense and throw the ball more.

I only have issue with we never see a FB but most of the other schematic changes that Arinas has put in are sound.

It's amazing how two years ago everyone here was complaining about the conservative, predictable run first offense that Cowher and Whiz had and how we weren't using our "franchise QB." Now we put in an offense to put more on Big Ben and the offense and the OC suck. Make sure we quickly forget that this was the same oC and offense that allowed Ben to throw 32 TDs last year and FWP to get 1400 yards because that won't support all the b*tching.

The difference this year has been injuries and execution. That is 70% of the problem and maybe playcalling is 25-30% at most.

Djfan
01-20-2009, 03:43 PM
The difference this year has been injuries and execution. That is 70% of the problem and maybe playcalling is 25-30% at most.

I am willing to agree with that, but I am not happy about 25-30% being wasted, when we can regain that by better decision. Would you be happy with 25-30% of your money or time being wasted?

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Dj makes a good point. I don't expect the guy to call a perfect game every time, but I don't know if its the preperation or the actual in game play calling, but it just seems like things need to improve schematically.

Northern_Blitz
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I am willing to agree with that, but I am not happy about 25-30% being wasted, when we can regain that by better decision. Would you be happy with 25-30% of your money or time being wasted?

I think the more appropriate question would be, "Are you happy with a portfolio where 70 - 75% of your assets are making money, and 25 - 30% are losing." I think the answer is how much are you making on the 75% and how much are you losing on the 25%.

In this case, we're in the SB and have a good chance to get a 6th trophy. I know that there are better OCs in the league, but this one is satisfactory returns.

Iron Shiek
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM

I think the more appropriate question would be, "Are you happy with a portfolio where 70 - 75% of your assets are making money, and 25 - 30% are losing." I think the answer is how much are you making on the 75% and how much are you losing on the 25%.

In this case, we're in the SB and have a good chance to get a 6th trophy. I know that there are better OCs in the league, but this one is satisfactory returns.

We're spoiled. 7 conference championship game appearances in 15 years (or whatever the count was). We gotta have something to complain about man!!!! :D

Steeler Mafia
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
The problem is not with the passing game or how Arians calls in a pass play, but rather when he calls in a pass play and how he calls the running game, or lack there of. It was obvious to many here that FWP could have ran outside the tackles for gains rather than running into the heart of the defense. I think the problem is that Arians doesn't care about the running game and gaining yards in that way. He only wants to use it to set up his pass plays. Even then, he doesn't use it correctly. His stubborness to change his way for something that actually works is what is killing the running game. Willie spoke out about it during the season as well as other Steelers. We cannot win the Super Bowl withour having a descent running game. If he doesn't change his way before the big game, Arizona will be celebrating their first Lombardi Trophy.

-- And that's the G.H. Truth !! --

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
We're spoiled. 7 conference championship game appearances in 15 years (or whatever the count was). We gotta have something to complain about man!!!! :D
One AFCC since Airens was named OC. Many think that the Steelers success has been despite our OC. That's not needing something to complain about, that's looking objectively at a great team and not being satisfied with a part of that team not performing well and refusing to ignore it so that we can have a nice warm feeling. 8)

Oviedo
01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":3gjp9s7y]We're spoiled. 7 conference championship game appearances in 15 years (or whatever the count was). We gotta have something to complain about man!!!! :D
One AFCC since Airens was named OC. Many think that the Steelers success has been despite our OC. That's not needing something to complain about, that's looking objectively at a great team and not being satisfied with a part of that team not performing well and refusing to ignore it so that we can have a nice warm feeling. 8)[/quote:3gjp9s7y]

Two consecutive play off appearances with one Super Bowl appearance since Arians took over as OC. But I forgot there is a list of 20 OC's sitting by waiting for a call all of whom will give you an iron clad money back guarantee they will do better.

Oviedo
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Like I have said many.many times before. Can you tell what play was really called and what Ben audibled to? No one watching the games can do that. The reality is that no one knows what the call play really was. All they know is what was executed.

The only hit that Arians rightly deserves is not keeping a viable power run game as a legit option in short yards. All other complaints about play calling are pure speculation and much of the problem may be with Ben's calls and audibles not Arians.

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":rqdercg5]We're spoiled. 7 conference championship game appearances in 15 years (or whatever the count was). We gotta have something to complain about man!!!! :DOne AFCC since Airens was named OC. Many think that the Steelers success has been despite our OC. That's not needing something to complain about, that's looking objectively at a great team and not being satisfied with a part of that team not performing well and refusing to ignore it so that we can have a nice warm feeling. 8)Two consecutive play off appearances with one Super Bowl appearance since Arians took over as OC. But I forgot there is a list of 20 OC's sitting by waiting for a call all of whom will give you an iron clad money back guarantee they will do better.[/quote:rqdercg5]
How many consecutive playoff appearances without LeBeau as DC? You're right, it must be Airens that carried the defense this year.

I don't know how MANY potential OCs are waiting for a call, but my persnal belief is that there are MORE than 20 people in the NFL that can call a better game that Airens. Just my opinion.... 8)

BURGH86STEEL
01-20-2009, 06:28 PM

Wrong on both accounts.

and

Good points. People think of any reason why they should attack Arians. It is to the point where they pull things out of thin air. Like the example of Arians relying on Ben's play making ability. They attack for being the Brown's former OC. I do not get it.

If not for mistakes by the players and one questionable call by the refs, this team had the opportunity to put more points on the board against the Ravens. People always think they have the answers. People will always disagree with the play calling. They always have and always will. People complained about the play calling under Cowher, Whiz, Gailey, and everyone else.

They do not want to give Arians credit for anything. People might not admit it but the Oline has improved. I think Arians deserves some of the credit there.

AngryAsian
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Bottom line is that we are in the Big Dance. We are going to win because Tomlin will have everybody prepared and focused on the task at hand and not buying into the whole favored Vegas team or more experienced, blah, blah, blah....

But if by the slimmest of chances this team fails to outscore a very potent Cardinal offense then I will blame Arians, even before the first snap is produced. This team is in the Super Bowl far and away because of its top rated defense.... not because some Arians derived scheme was "well executed" by the players. How many games did we come back from the trenches because of our defense's ability to get a key takeaway at a focal point of a game. MANY!

I apologize to my fellow brethren of the Nation, but no one can convince me that this offense is good enough. Our defense and our team history sets a bar very high and my thoughts regarding this subject are for the future. WHEN... we win the Super Bowl, everybody will be gunning for us next year. I don't want a let down like in 2006. We are a few pieces short of a DYNASTY and if there's anybody not convinced of that fact then maybe they need to take a mental health day or better yet a mental health year.

We have a franchise QB that's been on his back more times in the last 3 seasons than any other QB that comes to mind. Nothing in the play calling, (except the SD playoff game) tells me we are trying to protect him while trying to sustain a successful drive down field. Trust me in that we aren't winning because of Arians... we are winning in spite of him. And as far as pointing the finger at execution? Running up the gut with FWP with no lead blocker for practically every opening series is lunacy.

I'll get off my soap box. But remember to ask yourself this... what pieces do we need (both with players and with coaches) to sustain a DYNASTY. When have you seen this team so close to greatness! Aside from a couple of OLs, a game breaking return specialist, a bruising battering ram of a FB, and an OC... we have no weaknesses on this team. NONE! Think DYNASTY here people...

DYNASTY!

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
But if by the slimmest of chances this team fails to outscore a very potent Cardinal offense then I will blame Arians, even before the first snap is produced.
Don Corleone: You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you or my boy to me? I forgo the vengeance of my son. But my youngest son had to leave this country because of this Sollozzo business. So now I have to make arraignments to bring him back safely cleared of all these false charges. But I'm a superstitious man. And if some unlucky accident should befall him, if he should be shot in the head by a police officer, or if he should hang himself in his jail cell, or if he's struck by a bolt of lightening, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room and that, I do not forgive. But, that aside, let say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made here today.
8)

Flasteel
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Like I have said many.many times before. Can you tell what play was really called and what Ben audibled to? No one watching the games can do that. The reality is that no one knows what the call play really was. All they know is what was executed.

The only hit that Arians rightly deserves is not keeping a viable power run game as a legit option in short yards. All other complaints about play calling are pure speculation and much of the problem may be with Ben's calls and audibles not Arians.

Yeah, like Ben audibled to a run on the first play of every drive in the second half. Or ben audibled out of all of our outside runs and sent Willie up the gut on every running play (note: there was one off-tackle play behind Colon that went for four yards and one play which attacked the outside edge around Starks which went for six). Maybe Ben said screw BA in the huddle and decided to go empty on 3rd and 1.

The constant defense of Arians by you and Burghsteel is comical. I don't need to know what was called in the huddle or what was audibled to understand the depths of Arian's ignorance. I've detailed it here all year and I don't feel like re-hashing it for either of you.

You're both solid posters in my opinion but ridiculously uninformed on this issue and keep trying to reverse that argument against those who do see the light. Just stop.

Djfan
01-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Amazing.

Really.

NorthCoast
01-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Wrong on both accounts.

and

Good points. People think of any reason why they should attack Arians. It is to the point where they pull things out of thin air. Like the example of Arians relying on Ben's play making ability. They attack for being the Brown's former OC. I do not get it.

If not for mistakes by the players and one questionable call by the refs, this team had the opportunity to put more points on the board against the Ravens. People always think they have the answers. People will always disagree with the play calling. They always have and always will. People complained about the play calling under Cowher, Whiz, Gailey, and everyone else.

They do not want to give Arians credit for anything. People might not admit it but the Oline has improved. I think Arians deserves some of the credit there.

Look at our offensive ranking since he took over. I don't think the trend is in the right direction. Also, if players continue to make mistakes over and over, don't you think the OC should be part of the blame? It is like having an entire OL with lead feet, but continuing to call for pulls and screens. The players you have may give their best, but their skills just aren't there for that type of play. Maybe Faneca knew what we were in for with the switch to zone blocking and dropping the FB? (I know, Faneca is at home WATCHING the SB instead of playing in it, but he is doing it a lot wealthier man.)

Steel Life
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
All I'll add is this - if he can't call a game that plays to our team's strengths or make good adjustments for the 2nd half...then he needs to be let go immediately after the SB. His brainlocks or stubborness will waste away the opportunities this team has.

AngryAsian
01-22-2009, 02:18 AM
All I'll add is this - if he can't call a game that plays to our team's strengths or make good adjustments for the 2nd half...then he needs to be let go immediately after the SB. His brainlocks or stubborness will waste away the opportunities this team has.

LOGIC IN EXCESS!