PDA

View Full Version : Sweed=Bust

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but this is not a #1 WR.

Chachi
01-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Sweed has one foot outside the doghouse with that CRUSHING block.

but so far the kid has cement for hands.

MaxAMillion
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I love how he got up and acted hurt. I was more upset by him pretending to be injured than anything else.

hineshasheart
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
yep, u said it....god forbid we lose this game...he'll be playin' somewhere else cause Steeler fans will never ever allow him to forget his drops back to back weeks, especially for a sure td!

mshifko
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
i hate **** like this...don't call a guy a bust...you have no idea what he's going through right now...evaluate him 3 years from now and i guarantee you will not call him a bust...get off his back...threads like this absolutely make me sick, this is crap philly fans pull...not steeler fans...or at least i thought so

grotonsteel
01-18-2009, 09:44 PM

Well he even cost us the timeout. I think he is playing scared. We need Limas since Hines is injured.

steeler_george
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
ok im not down on him but i hate the fact he cost us a time out that we could of gotten a fg. but then that was stupid of ben to throw that in the middle.

grotonsteel
01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
ok im not down on him but i hate the fact he cost us a time out that we could of gotten a fg. but then that was stupid of ben to throw that in the middle.

:Agree

True Fan
01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
i hate bad word like this...don't call a guy a bust...you have no idea what he's going through right now...evaluate him 3 years from now and i guarantee you will not call him a bust...get off his back...threads like this absolutely make me sick, this is crap philly fans pull...not steeler fans...or at least i thought so

we needed an easy TD catch from him today, not in 3 years. he's a pos that may very well cost us the game

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
i hate bad word like this...don't call a guy a bust...you have no idea what he's going through right now...evaluate him 3 years from now and i guarantee you will not call him a bust...get off his back...threads like this absolutely make me sick, this is crap philly fans pull...not steeler fans...or at least i thought so

doesn't matter what he is going through, he is being paid more than I make in 10 yrs to make a play and he is not doing it. if he can't get his head in the game, he shouldn't be in the game.

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Ben is missing Hines big time.

These other receivers are not getting open....and that's against a banged up Rats secondary.

True Fan
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
another wasted play. why throw the ball to sweed on that 3rd down play to the endzone? he cant make a catch. stupid playcalling....again

frankthetank1
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
another wasted play. why throw the ball to sweed on that 3rd down play to the endzone? he cant make a catch. stupid playcalling....again

ben is the one who threw the ball idiot. if it was a higher throw maybe sweed being 6'4 could of jumped up and got it

NorthCoast
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM

I think it might have Ben's attempt to get Sweed's head back in the game. Think about this, if we had lost what would that dropped pass done to Sweed's pysche? That could have set his development back another 2 years.

Ozey74
01-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Polamalu also sucked his rookie year.....

SidSmythe
01-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I LIKE SWEED FOR TWO REASONS:

#1 ... he catches w/ his hands (well tries to at least)

#2 ... he made some plays after that drop. takes some mental toughness to come back in a game like this. He made a great block, broke up an INT & converted a 3rd down pass (catching w/ his hands)

Steel Life
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes - it was a terrible drop that will probably haunt him all off-season, hopefully it will drive him to improve knowing he'll get his chances.

That said, you have to like how he stayed with it by blowing up a defender (that would make Hines proud), making a great play to prevent the INT in the end-zone, & making a crucial catch later on to keep a drive alive (even if he had to use every part of his body to corral the ball).

I have high hopes for him still, he's just playing scared right now & needs to make a good grab to come out of it.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-19-2009, 01:36 AM
I love how he got up and acted hurt. I was more upset by him pretending to be injured than anything else.
the acting cost the fg at the end of the half....

papillon
01-19-2009, 01:41 AM

#2 ... he made some plays after that drop. takes some mental toughness to come back in a game like this. He made a great block, broke up an INT & converted a 3rd down pass (catching w/ his hands)

This post is as money as it gets right here. He made a mistake that cost his team 7 points; he then turns around and maintains a positive mental attitude and makes some plays that help the Steelers win, converts a 3rd down late, great block and an outstanding break up of a certain interception.

He also gets open very easily, you'll be singing his praises soon (maybe the Superbowl).

Pappy

Steel Life
01-19-2009, 01:43 AM
You're right it did, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...he looked like he bounced his chin off the turf pretty hard.

Besides, Arians should've never called the middle pass to Moore & should've told Ben explicitly to throw it to the sideline or out to take the panic out of the situation.

papillon
01-19-2009, 01:46 AM
You're right it did, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...he looked like he bounced his chin off the turf pretty hard.

Besides, Arians should've never called the middle pass to Moore & should've told Ben explicitly to throw it to the sideline or out to take the panic out of the situation.

Bruce Arians isn't smart enough to remind Ben to throw it away if there's nothing there.

I'm hoping that one of the teams looking for a head coach come calling for Arians.

Pappy

Steel Life
01-19-2009, 01:49 AM

Bruce Arians isn't smart enough to remind Ben to throw it away if there's nothing there.

Pappy
True :HeadBanger

SteelerOfDeVille
01-19-2009, 01:50 AM
after last season, many were ready to call timmons a bust... i'll give Sweed another year... look how friggin open he got on that play... he can at least be as good as nate....

Sugar
01-19-2009, 01:54 AM
I'll cut the kid some slack because of how he responded AFTER the drop. The fact that BB actually went to him again on a crucial play should also help him to gain the confidence he'll need to become the best he can be.

Remember the term "BUSTamolu" anyone? 8)

DukieBoy
01-19-2009, 08:41 AM

This post is as money as it gets right here. He made a mistake that cost his team 7 points; he then turns around and maintains a positive mental attitude and makes some plays that help the Steelers win, converts a 3rd down late, great block and an outstanding break up of a certain interception.

He also gets open very easily, you'll be singing his praises soon (maybe the Superbowl).

Pappy

AGREE 100%.

There is a list of draft choices who have been panned as "busts" and shown the door on the boards (Bustamalu?, Bustonio?, Timmons). Sweed's football character came through after the big drop, when he made at least 3 important plays.

Oviedo
01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Pappy

AGREE 100%.

There is a list of draft choices who have been panned as "busts" and shown the door on the boards (Bustamalu?, Bustonio?, Timmons). Sweed's football character came through after the big drop, when he made at least 3 important plays.

Of course the old "he's a bust" thread was inevitable. History proves otherwise though. Everyone wants to forget how big a jump it is from college to the NFL. It may be the same game but in terms of pressure, speed, etc they are light years apart.

Sweed will be fine. He is clearly willing to do whatever it takes as the crushing block on Ivy showed. Most of the board has defended Nate Washington for four years now despite his numerous drops. How about we give Sweed a little more than 9 months?

SteelStallion
01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I fully expected this type of thread. I expected it last week actually. He had great hands in college. He's still adjusting and I think he'll make the transition and be okay or even great eventually. As luck would have it he's in the superbowl, Ward is either not playing or playing hurt so a major gut check is coming.

Anyway congratulations Steelers. I never would have expected the SB for them this year.

pfelix73
01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Sometimes it takes an embarrassing moment on a grand scale to make one see that he needs to get better if he wants to stay a Steeler and be a Champion.

That F#$kup that he had yesterday might just help him get his a$$ in gear. :HeadBanger

We can only hope.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

flippy
01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
his route was sweedttttttttt.....

MeetJoeGreene
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
It will be a while before I don't cringe and hold my breath when we throw it to Sweed.

I hope Hines is back in full force for the SB and Sweed doesn't see the field.

Despite the fact that Ben SAID he would throw it to Sweed and Sweed did make a 3rd down catch, I can't help but think Ben will be hesitant to throw to him based on his drops -- and we don't need that hesitation.

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm hoping that one of the teams looking for a head coach come calling for Arians.

Pappy

Arians would never be considered for a head coaching job ! With his record as a lousy OC with us, the Clowns and probably prior, no one will take him off our hands, the Steelers will have to get rid of him because he will never ever be of value.

The dumbass doesn't even know enough to put a FB in for the Ravens game.
Everyone thought our o-line had come of age playing the Chargers and the Browns and they were wrong.
Steelers offense can't do crap against a good defense.
Our defense will not keep the Cards in check long enough for our offense to trip and stumble its way into the endzone. At some point Arians and our O will need to step up and Arians CAN'T !
I doubt we beat the Cards.

Oviedo
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
It will be a while before I don't cringe and hold my breath when we throw it to Sweed.

I hope Hines is back in full force for the SB and Sweed doesn't see the field.

Despite the fact that Ben SAID he would throw it to Sweed and Sweed did make a 3rd down catch, I can't help but think Ben will be hesitant to throw to him based on his drops -- and we don't need that hesitation.

I get more concerned when Ben forces passes to Nate Washington when he has two defenders on him. Whether they are buddies or whatever, Ben continues to throw balls to nate when he is covered. Everyone in the stadium knows it is a low probability that Nate outfights a defender for a ball. Iif he is wide open he catches it. Battling for it is not his forte.

I say keep going to Sweed. He is going to be here for a long time so we need to get him performing as soon as possible because we saw the drop off after Hines went down.

VirgilBosett
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
[Steelers offense can't do crap against a good defense.]

I have a problem with this statement. All due respect.....but what do you think they did last night? The Line played well yesterday against a great Defense. I wouldn't say they played fantastic, or blew the Ravens off the ball all game, but all things considered, I think they played well.

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
What offense were you watching ?

Our players played hard and gave it their all but with Arians in control, these players will always need the defense to bail them out.

VirgilBosett
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
What was I watching?

I tried to engage conversation and you act like a punk from the trib board.

I should have known.

The oline played well yesterday against a great defense, and several people have said as much that get paid to do so.

steelz09
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Sweed just has to concentrate. He was looking in the endzone or for a defender on that drop. He has to understand that he's going to get hit regardless so concentrate on just making the catch for now. Forget about the endzone, just catch the damn ball.

On a positive note, he did break up that interception which is a heads up play on his part. He did make a great block. Oh, and keep did catch that pass on 3rd down.

I just don't understand really what his problem is outside of just CONCENTRATING.

Oh, and one BIG positive. The guy can get open and separate. Now, he just needs to catch the damn ball.

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
What was I watching?

I tried to engage conversation and you act like a punk from the trib board.

I should have known.

The oline played well yesterday against a great defense, and several people have said as much that get paid to do so.

I'm sorry Mr. Mafia guy, didn't know you were the emotional type. Actually, I beleive punks take your name calling approach so, I have just lowered myself to your level that, you may understand.

Willie Parkers 2 yards per run. That's the game I watched. The defense allowing our offense to be in yet another game.
An offense that would not even get a glimps of a playoff game let alone the Super Bowl without perhaps one of the finest defenses that, is being compared to the 70's Steelers.

Your happy with the offense, great for you. Any other OC would probably not need a number one ranked defense to pull his fat from the fire week after week.

AngryAsian
01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Sweed just has to concentrate. He was looking in the endzone or for a defender on that drop. He has to understand that he's going to get hit regardless so concentrate on just making the catch for now. Forget about the endzone, just catch the damn ball.

On a positive note, he did break up that interception which is a heads up play on his part. He did make a great block. Oh, and keep did catch that pass on 3rd down.

I just don't understand really what his problem is outside of just CONCENTRATING.

Oh, and one BIG positive. The guy can get open and separate. Now, he just needs to catch the damn ball.

Increased reps and play time = increased concentration. Here's to hoping that much like Timmons, his sophomore season will have more play time and confortability with our system and thus translating to big plays made.

Discipline of Steel
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Its amazing to see supposed Steeler fans calling for the heads of our coaches as we head into the Super Bowl. The argument has no leg to stand on.

I predict Sweed will contribute another big play in the SB, whether Hines is out there or not. I believe he earned the right to see the field every game after last night.

fezziwig
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Increased reps and play time = increased concentration. Here's to hoping that much like Timmons, his sophomore season will have more play time and confortability with our system and thus translating to big plays made.

I hear what you are saying but, the dude had all the conditions. The pass was there and what else should he be doing if not concentrating at the point of the ball falling into his hands ?

Timmons and Woodley are different circumstances in their rookie season. They had to learn a pretty busy defense compared to Sweed needing to catch a ball that would have pretty much clinched the game or at least gave us some better breathing room.

VirgilBosett
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Relax.

I started my statment with "all due respect", and you ask the typical question "what game was I watching" becuase you don't get exclusive approval.

The line played well against a great defense. I didn't say they played great. I didn't say perfect....I said {well}, and it was in response to your criticism that the O can't play good against a good D.

The offense played good enough to win against a great D....that inlcudes the line.

proudpittsburgher
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I am far from the person who calls for coaches heads after every loss. I am far from the person who calls for Ben's benching after a pick. As a matter of fact, i am the opposite, but if I decided to come up to my computer after that drop, I would have said get his arse off the field, and I mean now. Not only does Limas drop everything that comes his way, but he actually costs us as well. Multiply holdiing calls in a game this season, then costing us the timeout after droppign a sure fire easy TD catch that might have put the game away.

BUT!!!!

I'm glad I didn't come up to my computer. I have to give Limas credit. He responded, finally. He came back to make an unbelievable block on the Miller catch. He broke up a sure interception in the end zone to allow us to get a field goal to make it a two possession game. He made a big first down grab. finally, finally, Limas contributed. And I am proud of him for finally showing signs of turning the corner.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Blitz-en
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree, Virgil. I was saying this morning, how well the line played. Ben held the ball alot yesterday. Much more than he held the ball in the first two meetings with the Ravens. He seemed like, at times, he had a ton of time to look over the field. That's a very good Ravens defense, that typically brings alot of pressure. I thought the O-line held up very well. They've gotten much better over the course of the season.

Running the ball, well, not so good. But, some of that blame needs to land on schemes and play calls. Everybody that watches football knows that the Ravens are very solid between the tackles. I counted one stinking run outside the tackles. Unless you count the stupid reverse, which hasn't worked yet this year (note to ARians).

I think the lack of a good running game is entangled somewhere in the following mess: Parker doesn't see holes well, lack of FB most plays, O-line not great, too predictable, Arians is bad. Take your pick.

T.SMITH :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM

The Steelers always seem to know when is the right time to put a young guy on the field. I'm not labeling the guy until he gets his reps with the first team. Besides, Plex couldn't catch a cold and neither could Edwards early on. Those 2 went different directions in their NFL career so I would say it is too early for any assumptions.

VirgilBosett
01-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I agree, Virgil. I was saying this morning, how well the line played. Ben held the ball alot yesterday. Much more than he held the ball in the first two meetings with the Ravens. He seemed like, at times, he had a ton of time to look over the field. That's a very good Ravens defense, that typically brings alot of pressure. I thought the O-line held up very well. They've gotten much better over the course of the season.

Running the ball, well, not so good. But, some of that blame needs to land on schemes and play calls. Everybody that watches football knows that the Ravens are very solid between the tackles. I counted one stinking run outside the tackles. Unless you count the stupid reverse, which hasn't worked yet this year (note to ARians).

I think the lack of a good running game is entangled somewhere in the following mess: Parker doesn't see holes well, lack of FB most plays, O-line not great, too predictable, Arians is bad. Take your pick.

T.SMITH :D

I agree man. Arians play calling, poor punting, a couple crappy penalties, Parker's fumble, Sweed's drop .....all of these contributed to lack of scoring production from the Offense, but they still played good enough to win against a great D.

....again, I'm not trying to crown the Line with anything more than a decent game against one of the toughest front 7 in the game.

NorthCoast
01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Keep one thing in mind, Sweed was getting open against a 3rd string DB last night. Baltimore was a player away from looking for a CB in the stands. Even the key 3rd down catch was made with his THIGHS not his hands. I honestly don't remember Hines or even Plax going through this rookie rut.....maybe my memory is leaving me.

OK...I started this thread in the heat of the moment. I will cut the guy a break and say that if he does make ONE significant play for us in the SB then he is worth being patient over. Keep in mind though, not all high WR picks we've had have worked out for us....Troy Edwards anyone?

snarky
01-19-2009, 09:13 PM
That drop might turn out to be the wake-up call he needs. We'll see.

papillon
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Just for the record, Mike Tomlin didn't cut him any slack for missing the TD pass even though he made some nice plays later in the game. Paraphrasing here, "We wouldn't be talking about how he made plays later if would just catch the ball." I'm sure privately Tomlin is happy that Sweed managed to keep his head in the game, but, he let him have a good one with those comments.

Pappy

Steeler Shades
01-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I say keep going to Sweed. He is going to be here for a long time so we need to get him performing as soon as possible because we saw the drop off after Hines went down.
OJT in the SB?
Frightening. 8)

Steeler Shades
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Its amazing to see supposed Steeler fans calling for the heads of our coaches as we head into the Super Bowl. The argument has no leg to stand on.
Yep. All of our coaches are doing wonderfully. Can't imagine why anyone would want to ever part with any of them.

I predict Sweed will contribute another big play in the SB, whether Hines is out there or not. I believe he earned the right to see the field every game after last night.
Earned it last night, last week and numerous times during the season. Might even be better than Hines. 8)

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
That drop might turn out to be the wake-up call he needs. We'll see.

THAT drop? What about the other 10-12 this season? Look, I hope the guy turns it around, and he finally showed signs of it after the drop with the contributions that he made. If that big drop was the turnaround, then I'm glad it happened in a win.

skyhawk
01-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Hines Ward didn't do jack his 1st season either.

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
If that big drop was the turnaround, then I'm glad it happened in a win.
In a win. It was definitely an ugly drop but if we had lost by less than 3, then it with the "playing possum" immediately afterwords would have been a LOT worse. 8)

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
How many TD passes did he drop in the regular season and how many in post season? Not knowing routes, missing blitz assignments, having trouble getting off the line or getting open.....common rookie problems for a WR. Not being able to catch a cold when WIDE open.....ominous. 8)

frankthetank1
01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
i was also impressed with some of the plays sweed made after the drop. you have to give young players time to develop. wr is one of or maybe even the hardest positions to play as a rookie. how many rookie wr's tear it up in week 1? i bet less than 10%

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
.. how many rookie wr's tear it up in week 1? i bet less than 10%
Are we still in week #1? 8)

frankthetank1
01-20-2009, 08:50 AM
.. how many rookie wr's tear it up in week 1? i bet less than 10%
Are we still in week #1? 8)

wow haha my bad. im pretty sick and its early so. year one is what i meant

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 09:29 AM

I am starting to turn the corner on Sweed, in a good way, but man, there is a difference between not performing well your first season, and doing what Sweed has done. Dropped passes, holding penalties, etc. At least Ward, while not helping us his first season, didn;t hurt us. Not to mention the fact that Ward was a QB coming out of Georgia. You would think that Sweed would at least be able to catch the easy ones.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Some labled Polamalu, Timmons, and Holmes busts in their first season...I'll give Sweed another year before I decide. That said, keep your eyes off the JumboTron and ON the friggin' FOOTBALL! We need less LAME-A$$$ from Limas.

Oviedo
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
OJT in the SB?
Frightening. 8)

Most heroes are the most unlikely people who do the most remarkable things when they are least expected.

Northern_Blitz
01-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I wonder if he should have his eyes checked. IIRC that was part of the problem with Plax early in his career (that and the wrist injury).

ikestops85
01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Sweed, I don't want to label him a bust yet. You have to give a player time to adjust to the NFL. I just don't want to see him on the field again this year. Drops are as demoralizing as getting a penalty when you make a big play. To me the worst part of the play (and it's hard to get worse than dropping a TD) was him laying on the field 2 yards from the sideline and costing us the timeout. I understand his pride was wounded as lay on that field and every steeler fan in the world called him names that would make a sailor blush .. but he needed to show some heart and get his arse off the field. It was great he came back and made some plays. One of them was even a catch (I think it was Nate who caught the ball with his thighs, not Limas) which is what a receiver is supposed to do. I think Limas needs to shut it down for this year and come back fresh in training camp.

Now for the other guy who dropped a possible TD. Yes, I'm talking about FWP. I've always defended his pass catching abilitites. Boy was I wrong. That had to have been one of the lamest attempts to catch a pass that I've ever seen. Where in the hell was he looking?

Kudos to the O-line. I think they did a great job with pass protection. They had a couple of breakdowns but overall I was impressed with their blitz pickup and the time they gave Ben. Speaking of Ben, I think that might have been his finest game as a Steeler. Obviously not statistically but as a QB. He was on fire with his passing accuracy, he read the defense well, made good decisions with the ball (except for the pass to Moore) and many times caused the defense to show their hand with his cadence and hard count.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I wonder if he should have his eyes checked. IIRC that was part of the problem with Plax early in his career (that and the wrist injury).

Already happened during training camp:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_580513.html

Steelers' Sweed fitted with contact lenses
Buzz up!By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 1, 2008

Football has become much clearer for Limas Sweed.
Literally.

Sweed started wearing contact lenses Thursday to compensate for a slight case of astigmatism, and his improved vision should only help the second-round draft pick as he pushes for a spot in the Steelers' wide receiver rotation.

After attending an appointment at the UPMC Eye Center in Pittsburgh yesterday morning, Sweed returned to St. Vincent with contact lenses and a prescription for glasses. He has an optical condition that is associated with blurred vision, and it is something Sweed didn't know he had until May.

Sweed wore his new contact lenses during the Steelers' Thursday afternoon practice.

"I'm shocked, I really am," he said of how improved his vision is. "If I can see better, I know I can catch better."

Steelers wide receiver coach Randy Fichtner made a good catch of his own regarding Sweed's vision.

At a wide receivers meeting during OTAs in May, Fichtner noticed Sweed squinting from his seat in the back of the room. Sweed chalked it up to fatigue, but Tomlin had him get his eyes checked.

When the Steelers still weren't satisfied with how Sweed was picking up the ball during practice, they sent him for another eye exam.

Sweed said the eye doctor had him look through a number of different lenses before finding the right prescription for what he has.

"The last thing he clicked, I could see perfect, clear," Sweed said. "No squinting, nothing."

"Hopefully, it's a winning edge for him," Tomlin said. "He's got to go out and catch footballs."

The 6-foot-4, 219-pounder did just that yesterday, and he practiced a day after getting carted off the field with cramps.

The cramps he experienced late during the Steelers' Wednesday afternoon practice were so intense that Sweed had to be carried into the locker room.

Skipping the only practice the Steelers had yesterday wasn't a consideration, Sweed said, since he can't "afford to miss any days."

Sweed is battling Nate Washington for the No. 3 wide receiver spot, and he is expected to give the Steelers' passing game a dimension it has lacked since Plaxico Burress left after the 2004 season.

Sweed showed earlier this week the value of having a tall wide receiver. Sweed caught a touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone after running a fade route, drawing a rousing cheer from spectators.

However, he has dropped some passes during practice.

He apparently flubbed enough for the Steelers coaches to conclude that, as Tomlin put it, he was having trouble picking up the "blur of the ball."

"I wish we would have found out earlier because we need to get those drops down," veteran wide receiver Hines Ward said with smile. "He had two (Wednesday)."

The wide receivers have a contest to see who drops the most passes during training camp. Sweed made a modest guarantee after visiting the UPMC Eye Center.

"I won't be the guy with the most (drops)," he said, "I'll tell you that."

proudpittsburgher
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Friday, August 1, 2008

Literally.

Sweed started wearing contact lenses Thursday to compensate for a slight case of astigmatism, and his improved vision should only help the second-round draft pick as he pushes for a spot in the Steelers' wide receiver rotation.

After attending an appointment at the UPMC Eye Center in Pittsburgh yesterday morning, Sweed returned to St. Vincent with contact lenses and a prescription for glasses. He has an optical condition that is associated with blurred vision, and it is something Sweed didn't know he had until May.

Sweed wore his new contact lenses during the Steelers' Thursday afternoon practice.

"I'm shocked, I really am," he said of how improved his vision is. "If I can see better, I know I can catch better."

Steelers wide receiver coach Randy Fichtner made a good catch of his own regarding Sweed's vision.

At a wide receivers meeting during OTAs in May, Fichtner noticed Sweed squinting from his seat in the back of the room. Sweed chalked it up to fatigue, but Tomlin had him get his eyes checked.

When the Steelers still weren't satisfied with how Sweed was picking up the ball during practice, they sent him for another eye exam.

Sweed said the eye doctor had him look through a number of different lenses before finding the right prescription for what he has.

"The last thing he clicked, I could see perfect, clear," Sweed said. "No squinting, nothing."

"Hopefully, it's a winning edge for him," Tomlin said. "He's got to go out and catch footballs."

The 6-foot-4, 219-pounder did just that yesterday, and he practiced a day after getting carted off the field with cramps.

The cramps he experienced late during the Steelers' Wednesday afternoon practice were so intense that Sweed had to be carried into the locker room.

Skipping the only practice the Steelers had yesterday wasn't a consideration, Sweed said, since he can't "afford to miss any days."

Sweed is battling Nate Washington for the No. 3 wide receiver spot, and he is expected to give the Steelers' passing game a dimension it has lacked since Plaxico Burress left after the 2004 season.

Sweed showed earlier this week the value of having a tall wide receiver. Sweed caught a touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone after running a fade route, drawing a rousing cheer from spectators.

He apparently flubbed enough for the Steelers coaches to conclude that, as Tomlin put it, he was having trouble picking up the "blur of the ball."

"I wish we would have found out earlier because we need to get those drops down," veteran wide receiver Hines Ward said with smile. "He had two (Wednesday)."

The wide receivers have a contest to see who drops the most passes during training camp. Sweed made a modest guarantee after visiting the UPMC Eye Center.

All the eye treatments in the world can't help if you don't USE THEM AND KEEP THEM ON THE FREAKIN BALL!!!!!! There, I feel better now.

papillon
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I want him to play in the SB, no more and no less than any other game. This is part of his maturing and getting ready to be a major cog in the offense next season. Mike Tomlin will not keep him out of the game, because he had a drop and momentary lapse of reason with the injury. Tomlin commented on Sweed when asked about his plays later in the game and gave him a shot without being disrespectful. I'm sure Limas got the message.

Folks, he's learning what it takes to be an NFL football player.

Pappy

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Pap....he has already learned "what it takes to be an NFL football player" in two playoff games and dropped TDs in both. How many 1st year WRs after playing poorly in the regular season and dropping TDs in two playoff games, then get a chance to drop more balls in the SB? IMHO, this goes well beyond teaching him "what it takes to be an NFL football player".

Couldn't we just assume that he has learned all he needs to know about playoff drops and let him practice dropping the ball some MORE during the 2009 regular season? 8)

skyhawk
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Friday, August 1, 2008

Literally.

It is freakin unacceptable and unbelievable an athlete of that caliber hadn't had his eyes corrected by now. That is totally absurd IMO. And I am an eye doctor. :roll:

That would have never happened in MLB.

sd steel
01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Players drop balls, and even the greatest players have dropped easy balls. Yes Sweed made a habit of it this year, but it could have been the excitement of the moment, it could have been he was or wasn't wearing his contacts, it could be the weather.

That being said, he is our's, and he has proven to be a great college receiver and able to catch with his hands at the college level, against good competition.

I guarantee all of you folks, especially if they give him a little slack, that he will be a force in years to come.

Is it easy to catch a ball? I would say yes, but if you are sitting under an easy one, just like catching a punt, it is easy to drop if you have time to think about it.

It;s not about his skills, it's about his mindset. The funny thing listening to most of these fan's chiming in is that many don't have the coordination or the athleticism to catch the easiest of balls. Sweed is a good kid, an athletic kid, with great skills, he is a rookie and he showed that he has the head to be a player. Did his drop hurt? ...yes, But anyone who thinks that he isn't feeling worse about it than you is an idiot.

As far as his burning our time out, I agree! Drop the pass and get off the field.

papillon
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Pap....he has already learned "what it takes to be an NFL football player" in two playoff games and dropped TDs in both. How many 1st year WRs after playing poorly in the regular season and dropping TDs in two playoff games, then get a chance to drop more balls in the SB? IMHO, this goes well beyond teaching him "what it takes to be an NFL football player".

Couldn't we just assume that he has learned all he needs to know about playoff drops and let him practice dropping the ball some MORE during the 2009 regular season? 8)

Other teams simply aren't as wise as the Steelers. His playing time during the regular season was minimal. The fact that Ben keeps going to him indicates to me that he makes catches in practice. Jitters, big stage, I'm not sure why he's dropping passes (easy ones) and making the average to difficult catch. Concentration (well, lack of it), bad hands (doubtful, check out his college highlight reel), I'm not sure, but, I wouldn't give up on him.

Yea the drop and consequent injury :shock: were tough ones to swallow at the time. And, even though Tomlin wasn't publicly impressed with his recovery from the drop, privately he has to be pleased that he was able to keep his head in the game and do some things to help the team.

Ward says he'll play, that's today, lets see what happens as the two weeks go by. We may need Sweed before it's all over and done with and he'll be there to answer the bell. I like him (in case you can't tell), he'll have to drop a hell of a lot more passes before I'm willing to give up on him.

He gets open and even when he isn't he knows how to use his body as a shield to give Ben a target and an opportunity for a completion. Oh yee of little faith. :P

Pappy

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I guarantee all of you folks, especially if they give him a little slack, that he will be a force in years to come.
Ignoring the absolute lack of value in an internet forum "guarantee", can you "guarantee" that Sweed won't drop another TD in the SB and that it won't cost us the game? If not....thanks, but no thanks on the first guarantee.

But anyone who thinks that he isn't feeling worse about it than you is an idiot.
So what? Is this thread about whether a professional WR making millions of dollars a year "feels bad" about dropping a TD pass in the AFCC? I must have missed the poster that tried to make that point. Or are you suggesting that his inability catch that pass and his immature response to the drop is OK, because he is feeling bad?

The kids a rookie. He has had some chances this year, and he hasn't done jack with them. Doesn't mean he is going to be a bust, just that the time to "fix" those problems is NOT the SB...IMHO. 8)

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Other teams simply aren't as wise as the Steelers. His playing time during the regular season was minimal. The fact that Ben keeps going to him indicates to me that he makes catches in practice. Jitters, big stage, I'm not sure why he's dropping passes (easy ones) and making the average to difficult catch. Concentration (well, lack of it), bad hands (doubtful, check out his college highlight reel), I'm not sure, but, I wouldn't give up on him....

I like him (in case you can't tell), he'll have to drop a hell of a lot more passes before I'm willing to give up on him...
I'm not suggesting that we give up on him or that long term he is going to be a bust. My point is that the SB is not the time to demonstrate confidence in a kid that has had a lot of trouble holding onto the ball. He certainly has NOT earned it and the rest of the team has worked hard to get within 60 minutes of another SB title. Let him have a ring and work out his problems (whatever the cause) in the off-season. 8)

Wolfhound45
01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I am going to go against the grain here, but what do you call a 2nd round player that does not produce? He is not a bust (yet). But he sure has not proven his worth to the Steelers.

14 Limas Sweed, WR
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/437036

Seriously, until he dropped that pass and then lay on the ground because he "injured" himself, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore.

mshifko
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I am going to go against the grain here, but what do you call a 2nd round player that does not produce? He is not a bust (yet). But he sure has not proven his worth to the Steelers.

14 Limas Sweed, WR

Seriously, until he dropped that pass and then lay on the ground because he "injured" himself, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore.

have you ever fell on top of the football and got the wind knocked out of you? until you've been there, don't rag on the dude for that

ramblinjim
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Neither did Timmons. We dont' need to cut him any slack (he's a grown man) but we do need to be a little patient.

mshifko
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Neither did Timmons. We dont' need to cut him any slack (he's a grown man) but we do need to be a little patient.

be patient with rookies? are you kidding me? :lol:

stlrz d
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM

14 Limas Sweed, WR

have you ever fell on top of the football and got the wind knocked out of you? until you've been there, don't rag on the dude for that

It feels like you will never take another breath. :(

jj28west
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I remember seeing the great Jerry Rice drop a couple of perfectly thrown balls for an easy TD by Montana in what I believe was his rookie season. I am not making a comparison of the players in any way except that the best receiver of all time even had the dropsies early in his career.

steelafornia
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
can we just throw this guy a couple of screen passes, who cares if he gets one or two yards, just give him some confidence... but then again, that should have been done earlier in the season after this 6th or 7th drop, he'll be fine, like people say, he gets open, he's just thinking too much and hard on himself

sd steel
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Other teams simply aren't as wise as the Steelers. His playing time during the regular season was minimal. The fact that Ben keeps going to him indicates to me that he makes catches in practice. Jitters, big stage, I'm not sure why he's dropping passes (easy ones) and making the average to difficult catch. Concentration (well, lack of it), bad hands (doubtful, check out his college highlight reel), I'm not sure, but, I wouldn't give up on him....

I like him (in case you can't tell), he'll have to drop a hell of a lot more passes before I'm willing to give up on him...
I'm not suggesting that we give up on him or that long term he is going to be a bust. My point is that the SB is not the time to demonstrate confidence in a kid that has had a lot of trouble holding onto the ball. He certainly has NOT earned it and the rest of the team has worked hard to get within 60 minutes of another SB title. Let him have a ring and work out his problems (whatever the cause) in the off-season. 8)

So who is the 4th receiver?

I will preface the rest of this post by saying I love all the pics you have in your sig, but as far as you knowing talent or commenting on a young receiver you leave much to be desired.
8) 8)

Wolfhound45
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM

14 Limas Sweed, WR

No, but I have "burned in" on a parachute landing with fourteen to fifteen knot winds at 0200 hours in the morning. I have been lit up. Big time. And I am still jumping today at 45 years of age.

Apparently some of his defensive team mates were less than impressed in his "injury" as well.

If he had missed a sight adjustment and Ben got drilled I would have been more understanding. Breaking off a route due to a blitz is tough for a rookie. No worries.

Ball hits you in the hands and you drop it? Sorry. Not buying.

NorthCoast
01-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Selective memories. I distinctly remember Hines' first season being decent, had good hands, and here are the numbers that prove it:

1998: 15 - 246yds, 16.4 yd avg.

How about Sweed:

2008: 6 - 64yds, 10.7 yd avg.

Oh and keep in mind Ward was selected one round later.

Steeler Shades
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
So who is the 4th receiver?
We have three on the Practice squad. Pick one that can catch a ball if it hits him in the hands.

..as far as you knowing talent
I said clearly that Sweed may not be a bust...it's too early to tell. Are you suggesting that he is or that you have some special training or experience in evaluating WRs? What are YOUR qualifications?

.. commenting on a young receiver you leave much to be desired.
Comments are opinions. Don't like mine then don't read them. 8)

sd steel
01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
[quote="sd steel":1mds3z9m]So who is the 4th receiver?
We have three on the Practice squad. Pick one that can catch a ball if it hits him in the hands.

I said clearly that Sweed may not be a bust...it's too early to tell. Are you suggesting that he is or that you have some special training or experience in evaluating WRs? What are YOUR qualifications?

Comments are opinions. Don't like mine then don't read them. 8)[/quote:1mds3z9m]

I have to..... you put hot chicks in them, my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.

AngryAsian
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":24i254ae][quote="sd steel":24i254ae]So who is the 4th receiver?

Comments are opinions. Don't like mine then don't read them. 8)[/quote:24i254ae]

I have to..... you put hot chicks in them, my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.[/quote:24i254ae]

Dude,

You'll get a year supply of poo poo platter at the HOUSE OF TANG if you are right. I would love to see this come to fruition.

papillon
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM

The Steelers may not have a choice I don't like the sound bites I hear from Ward about his playing. There's no way you grab a guy off the PS that hasn't played a down of football all year or even in the last month and replace Sweed for the SB.

He has to work through it or he won't amount to anything. The SB may not be the ideal place for this, but, he's a better option than a PS player, IMHO.

For whatever reason he and Ben seem to be on the same page. When he's in the game and Ben scambles he does a good job of finding openings for Ben to deliver the ball. He'll be fine in the Superbowl, just a gut instinct about this kid.

Pappy

sd steel
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
[quote=sd steel][quote="Steeler Shades":2ewokv6l][quote="sd steel":2ewokv6l]So who is the 4th receiver?

Comments are opinions. Don't like mine then don't read them. 8)[/quote:2ewokv6l]

I have to..... you put hot chicks in them, my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.[/quote:2ewokv6l]

Dude,

You'll get a year supply of poo poo platter at the HOUSE OF TANG if you are right. I would love to see this come to fruition.[/quote:2ewokv6l]

I will hold you to the year supply, but only one PU at the HOUSE OF TANG, just don't tell my wife. :Boobs

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
.. my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.
I don't think it is a talent issue either. It may well be any of the things you suggested. While I would be delighted if he makes plays in the SB, I'm hard pressed to believe it will be because of single coverage. After all he is dropping balls while wide open. Warmth? Maybe, but it is difficult to believe by this time in a professional WR's career that nobody noticed he can't catch in the cold. Of course no one noticed he couldn't see either. 8)

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 12:32 AM
The Steelers may not have a choice I don't like the sound bites I hear from Ward about his playing. There's no way you grab a guy off the PS that hasn't played a down of football all year or even in the last month and replace Sweed for the SB.

He has to work through it or he won't amount to anything. The SB may not be the ideal place for this, but, he's a better option than a PS player, IMHO.

For whatever reason he and Ben seem to be on the same page. When he's in the game and Ben scambles he does a good job of finding openings for Ben to deliver the ball. He'll be fine in the Superbowl, just a gut instinct about this kid.

Pappy
I hope your (and others) gut feeling is correct. As for Ben's confidence in him, I can't get past how many balls Nate dropped for years because Ben has a high regard for him.

Question: Who (non-injured) can Ben throw the deep ball to that you have any confidence will catch it? Holmes? Heath on a deep route?
Nate & Sweed are iffy on any pass and forget about throwing to Parker. 8)

sd steel
01-21-2009, 12:37 AM
[quote="sd steel":1gkrf36q].. my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.
I don't think it is a talent issue either. It may well be any of the things you suggested. While I would be delighted if he makes plays in the SB, I'm hard pressed to believe it will be because of single coverage. After all he is dropping balls while wide open. Warmth? Maybe, but it is difficult to believe by this time in a professional WR's career that nobody noticed he can't catch in the cold. Of course no one noticed he couldn't see either. 8)[/quote:1gkrf36q]

My question to you would be have you ever caught a ball in a game time situation? Sometimes the hardest balls to catch are the easiest ones, because you have time to think about the catch. I don't expect you to understand if you have never played before, and I was cussing at the TV screen just like the rest of you when it happened, but a couple of easy drops doesn't make him a bust. Watch his highlight video again and tell me he can't catch. He will be a star, and it might be in a couple of Sunday's. I will eat my words if he chokes again.

steelercorp
01-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Call me crazy but I think after some of the film gets reviewed Sweed will practice all 12 days just catching the long ball. Second thought is that maybe he was practicing with Leftwich and so when Big Ben's' throw came over his shoulder is was so graceful that he he couldn't catch it. I mean did you see his eyes they were like in awe of that pass.

Chadman
01-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Sweed will be fine. Get off his back.

Chadman remembers another tall Steelers WR had troubles in his first year in the NFL. Until he shot himself in the leg, he was a halfway decent WR from memory...

He looks nervous. But the dude gets open, runs 'well' for such a lanky guy & looks like a playmaker.

But hey- maybe we should just believe the same group that gave us "Bustamalu, Bust Timmons, Bench Ben & Santurdio".

We have a history of inserting feet into our own mouths around here...

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 08:33 AM
My question to you would be have you ever caught a ball in a game time situation?
In HS I was a WR. I know what its like to watch that ball take forever to get to you and also what it feels like to drop an easy one. That said, it was HS football and if anyone on our team dropped as many balls as Sweed has, he would have been on the bench. Two TD passes in the playoffs? At the NFL level my assumption is that the standard would have to be higher than HS. 8)

proudpittsburgher
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
[quote="Steeler Shades":3cmjmpz3][quote="sd steel":3cmjmpz3]So who is the 4th receiver?

Comments are opinions. Don't like mine then don't read them. 8)[/quote:3cmjmpz3]

I have to..... you put hot chicks in them, my qualifications are I played many years and coach currently, and I know talent. This isn't a talent thing nor a work ethic thing, this is an adjustment thing IMO, he either needs to lose the jitters, adjust his contacts or get used to the cold. I see him making plays in the Super Bowl because he will be in warmer temps, and will be in single coverage. Mark it down now.[/quote:3cmjmpz3]
The only problem with part of your assessment is that Sweed has been dropping passes all season long, including the preseason when the temps were nice and toasty. And he had an eye exam earlier in the season. So we are down to jitters, and my only hope is when he made the hit/broke up the int/and made that big first down grab, those jitters were finally gone. :tt2

BDESteel
01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Didn't read the previous six pages but had some thoughts on the matter.

Sweed was the guy Ben wanted, maybe not Sweed particularly but a big receiver and he got that. I would have been working with this guy on my own time to get him up to speed and into games in the regular season. Sweed barely played all year, if he did he wouldn't be dropping these passes. I think watching the game from the sideline can be intimadating because the speed in the pros is so much faster than in college.

(boss is coming can't finish my thought) Sweed will be fine when he gets more playing time.

snarky
01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
But hey- maybe we should just believe the same group that gave us "Bustamalu

I think there will be a Bustamalu in Canton some day.

frankthetank1
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
[quote="sd steel":3uwdmacd]My question to you would be have you ever caught a ball in a game time situation?
In HS I was a WR. I know what its like to watch that ball take forever to get to you and also what it feels like to drop an easy one. That said, it was HS football and if anyone on our team dropped as many balls as Sweed has, he would have been on the bench. Two TD passes in the playoffs? At the NFL level my assumption is that the standard would have to be higher than HS. 8)[/quote:3uwdmacd]

i know where your coming from and i am no fan of sweed so far but there is something to be said about continuity with ben and the wr's. you cant just bench sweed and replace him with baker or another wr that hasnt played all year and who im sure never practices with ben. sweed cost the team 7 points, but he saved the team 3 points by breaking up that int in the endzone, so thats only 4 points lol. it was so strange watching sweed break up that int IN THE END ZONE. i had a serious case of deja vu of another rookie wr with bad hands who broke up a int in the endzone against denver in the 05 afcc game

MeetJoeGreene
01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
[quote="sd steel":2mb89alm]My question to you would be have you ever caught a ball in a game time situation?
In HS I was a WR. I know what its like to watch that ball take forever to get to you and also what it feels like to drop an easy one. That said, it was HS football and if anyone on our team dropped as many balls as Sweed has, he would have been on the bench. Two TD passes in the playoffs? At the NFL level my assumption is that the standard would have to be higher than HS. 8)

i know where your coming from and i am no fan of sweed so far but there is something to be said about continuity with ben and the wr's. you cant just bench sweed and replace him with baker or another wr that hasnt played all year and who im sure never practices with ben. sweed cost the team 7 points, but he saved the team 3 points by breaking up that int in the endzone, so thats only 4 points lol. it was so strange watching sweed break up that int IN THE END ZONE. i had a serious case of deja vu of another rookie wr with bad hands who broke up a int in the endzone against denver in the 05 afcc game[/quote:2mb89alm]

I thought the same thing.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
But hey- maybe we should just believe the same group that gave us "BustamaluI think there will be a Bustamalu in Canton some day.
Maybe I'm wrong about Sweed and he is actually playing well. Drops all regular season and two easy TD drops in the playoffs doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been the top candidate for Offensive Rookie of The Year. Clearly I've set the bar too high. I'm sorry. And for those posters that think being critical of a player that might be having a teensy weensie bit of trouble is somehow going to affect the player's confidence......all I can say is that when Sweed reads THIS post he'll realize that he is great and that it is OK to drop how ever many potential game winning TDs as he needs as long as Troy makes the HOF. 8)

snarky
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
But hey- maybe we should just believe the same group that gave us "BustamaluI think there will be a Bustamalu in Canton some day.
Maybe I'm wrong about Sweed and he is actually playing well. Drops all regular season and two easy TD drops in the playoffs doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been the top candidate for Offensive Rookie of The Year. Clearly I've set the bar too high. I'm sorry. And for those posters that think being critical of a player that might be having a teensy weensie bit of trouble is somehow going to affect the player's confidence......all I can say is that when Sweed reads THIS post he'll realize that he is great and that it is OK to drop how ever many potential game winning TDs as he needs as long as Troy makes the HOF. 8)

Umm WTF?

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Umm WTF?
Shhhhh.....I'm working on improving Sweeds confidence, but the following quote from Fox Sports is not helping:

--WR Limas Sweed's drop of what would have been a 50-yard touchdown pass Sunday was not unusual. He drops passes often in practices and dropped one near the end of their first playoff game.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pitts ... teamreport (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/teamreport)
8)

snarky
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Just curious why you quoted me there. I haven't said anything in this thread other than maybe that drop on Sunday will wake him up and a little joke about the term bastamalu. So I have no idea why you felt the need to quote me before your sarcastic rant.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Just curious why you quoted me there. I haven't said anything in this thread other than maybe that drop on Sunday will wake him up and a little joke about the term bastamalu. So I have no idea why you felt the need to quote me before your sarcastic rant.
My sarcastic rant included a reference to Troy making the HOF as did your post. I was NOT taking a shot a your post in anyway.

I have always had difficulty understanding how one players previous performance (particularly at a different position) has an effect on anothers. If someone wants to make the point that fans should have patience with multi-million $ athletes dropping TDs in the playoffs then it could be done by simply stating that. But instead of using Troy as an example perhaps we could use another NFL WR that has had a crappy regular season and dropped two easy TDs in the playoffs as a comparison?

Note to Sweed: Just kidding...you're the MAN!!! 8)

ikestops85
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't think many are saying Sweed is a bust. I think what I and several others have expressed is that we don't want the team's SB chances jeopardized by someone who has been inconsistent catching passes from training camp to the present. He needs to work on this and the SB is not the time to do it.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't think many are saying Sweed is a bust. I think what I and several others have expressed is that we don't want the team's SB chances jeopardized by someone who has been inconsistent catching passes from training camp to the present. He needs to work on this and the SB is not the time to do it.
:Clap :Clap :Clap

snarky
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
OK, SS. I think I understand.

Anyway, I think one thing is clear. Going into camp next season with only four game worthy receivers is not wise. Ward isn't getting any younger and his recovery times from injury will only go up. I'm all for giving Sweed another season to pan out but the thought of having to go a six game stretch (for example) with him as the #3 will be scary if he doesn't start catching the ball.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Anyway, I think one thing is clear. Going into camp next season with only four game worthy receivers is not wise. Ward isn't getting any younger and his recovery times from injury will only go up. I'm all for giving Sweed another season to pan out but the thought of having to go a six game stretch (for example) with him as the #3 will be scary if he doesn't start catching the ball.
He was a #2 draft choice, we have to give him at least one more year and more than likely 2-3 years. I also agree about Hines. He is getting older and other than Holmes who else can catch the ball........dependably? Nate? Sweed? Dallas Baker? As you said, if Sweed does not begin to catch the ball we may need to take a hard look at that position. 8)

Oviedo
01-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Could force them to do what they should be doing anyway--throw Miller and Spaeth the ball 10-15 times a game until a defense shows that they can stop them.

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Could force them to do what they should be doing anyway--throw Miller and Spaeth the ball 10-15 times a game until a defense shows that they can stop them.
From your lips to the NEW OC's ear. 8)

BURGH86STEEL
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM

I remember people like you calling Polamalu a bust. Some people were calling Timmons a bust too. Guess those people were wrong. Lets just wait to see what Sweed does heading into the future before we call him a bust.

papillon
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Umm WTF?
Shhhhh.....I'm working on improving Sweeds confidence, but the following quote from Fox Sports is not helping:

--WR Limas Sweed's drop of what would have been a 50-yard touchdown pass Sunday was not unusual. He drops passes often in practices and dropped one near the end of their first playoff game.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pitts ... teamreport (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/teamreport)
8)

So much for my statement about Ben trusting him and he must be catching passes in practice. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Note to self: Never doubt Shades again. :moon :P

Pappy

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Note to self: Never doubt Shades again.
This approach in life will not be beneficial. Doubt everything SS says and you will much farther ahead both as a fan and a person. :moon
8)

mdsteel
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I think all of our WRs in the 1st year had problems, I remember one that let the kick off bounce right next to him and was recovered for a TD by SF about 10 years ago, he thought it was a punt? not sure who that was. I think he is gonna be good in a couple of years and I love that he can block, but right now he is gonna be a project.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I think all of our WRs in the 1st year had problems, I remember one that let the kick off bounce right next to him and was recovered for a TD by SF about 10 years ago, he thought it was a punt? not sure who that was. I think he is gonna be good in a couple of years and I love that he can block, but right now he is gonna be a project.

That was RB Barry Foster.

mdsteel
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I knew it was someone who turned out to be ok, but at the time we were ready to throw him off the bus too.

stlrz d
01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
8 pages...really?

We're in the Super Bowl for Pete's sake!

:roll:

Steeler Shades
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I knew it was someone who turned out to be ok, but at the time we were ready to throw him off the bus too.
At least it was someone. Not a WR, not an example of a WR from another team, and not a player having trouble catching passes.....but someone. 8)

NorthCoast
01-21-2009, 11:44 PM

I remember people like you calling Polamalu a bust. Some people were calling Timmons a bust too. Guess those people were wrong. Lets just wait to see what Sweed does heading into the future before we call him a bust.

wrong guy. I did not start posting until long after Troy was drafted. All I know is Sweed better be ready when we absolutely need him...

Leper Friend
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

wrong guy. I did not start posting until long after Troy was drafted. All I know is Sweed better be ready when we absolutely need him...What he's saying is that we've heard this all before. If you've been posting long enough , every rookie at some point is called a bust. It just get's old,that's all.Plax , Troy P , Santonio , Timmons and even Heath Miller for a while were all called busts and waste of draft pick by someone.

I think you , and most here , know not to judge a career on rookie problems and mistakes. It's easy to be frustrated with Sweed right now but that doesn't make him a bust.His only problem really is concentration,which can be fixed. We all know he can catch but for whatever reason,he's not right now. That will work itself out.

Let's just let it work itself off starting next preseason , not next Sunday.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Oh, and by the way, that Mendenhall kid is a major bust too. He hasn't done diddly-poo since September! Injured reserve, my butt. If he were a real player, he wouldn't have broken his shoulder. We were able to make it to the Super Bowl without him, so we should just cut him now!

:stirpot :lol:

Jigawatts
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, and by the way, that Mendenhall kid is a major bust too. He hasn't done diddly-poo since September! Injured reserve, my butt. If he were a real player, he wouldn't have broken his shoulder. We were able to make it to the Super Bowl without him, so we should just cut him now!

He was not in "football shape." Bones just don't break when you're in football shape.

Oviedo
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM

He was not in "football shape." Bones just don't break when you're in football shape.

Fire Colbert too when Arians gets fired. He can't draft the players or sign the free agents capable of getting the Steelers to a Super Bowl :shock:

Even if he did Arians wouldn't be able to coach them correctly. A good OC would not have called a play that got Mendenhall's shoulder broken.

Jigawatts
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM

Fire Colbert too when Arians gets fired. He can't draft the players or sign the free agents capable of getting the Steelers to a Super Bowl :shock:

Even if he did Arians wouldn't be able to coach them correctly. A good OC would not have called a play that got Mendenhall's shoulder broken.

No no, I place this blame solely on Tomlin. Substituting old Crystal Pepsi for milk
during training camp just to save a few bucks deprived Mendy of the calcium he
need to get into football shape.

Iron Shiek
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Phuck it...fire Lebeau too dammit. His stupid first name is a bad word...I'm sick of it being blocked here!!

Wow! Do you remember the hatred spewed at Colbert before the season. It was absolutely ridiculous and looking back it was just comical. Ha.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM

No no, I place this blame solely on Tomlin. Substituting old Crystal Pepsi for milk

The chef at training camp in Latrobe should be fired for replacing Casey Hampton's Crystal Pepsi with Crystal Gravy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Crystal-pepsi.jpg http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1884/93bcrystalgravy16on.jpg

Jigawatts
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM

The chef at training camp in Latrobe should be fired for replacing Casey Hampton's Crystal Pepsi with Crystal Gravy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Crystal-pepsi.jpg http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1884/93bcrystalgravy16on.jpg

:lol: Crystal Gravy :?:

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM

You never saw that old SNL skit? They used the same Van Halen song and everything. "Finally, you can see your meat." It was nasty... :lol:

Jigawatts
01-22-2009, 05:18 PM

You never saw that old SNL skit? They used the same Van Halen song and everything. "Finally, you can see your meat." It was nasty... :lol:

Nope, don't remember that. :oops:

Steeler Shades
01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Let's just let it work itself off starting next preseason , not next Sunday.
:Clap :Clap
8)

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Nope, don't remember that. :oops:

Couldn't find it on YouTube, but I found it here:

http://www.videosift.com/video/Crystal-Gravy-Now-you-can-finally-see-your-food

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/pics/93bcrystalgravy2.jpg