PDA

View Full Version : Strengths vs. Weaknesses.....

hineshasheart
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
My thoughts or should I say just thinking out loud.

Our weakest offensive player is Carey Davis in my opinion. He brings the least amount to the table, so why use him. I just don't see the upside. The handoff at the goalline was a bad play call by Arians and any dump off to him isn't very likely to produce much success, so I say scratch Davis from any offensive play in which he is the primary target. Only if Ben needs a dump down do we throw to Davis.

On defense, we need to realize that Mason is their "man", their Hines. Scheme to stop him, slow him down and we neutralize their biggest playmaker. Sounds simple enough, but with our secondary and the great Dick Lebeau we shoud be able to hold him under 75 yards or so thus negating any big plays=defensive success.

On special teams, a million years too late, but Davis and Russell aren't the answer. Safe, conservative, very below average. This area is in need come next year's draft. Starting field position for a top-notch ball control team like ours must be upgraded. But for today, I'll just settle for Russell running to the 25 in a straight line.

And before the game begins, I say attack the Ravens the way we attacked the Colts in the playoffs a couple years back. Throw to set up the run. Use Heath. And go "no-huddle" for a change of pace...let's dictate to the Ravens. Let's get ahead and see what the rookie Flacco is truly made of when our defense can pin their ears back and go get the qb!

Leper Friend
01-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Our weakest offensive player is Carey Davis in my opinion. He brings the least amount to the table, so why use him. I just don't see the upside. The handoff at the goalline was a bad play call by Arians and any dump off to him isn't very likely to produce much success, so I say scratch Davis from any offensive play in which he is the primary target. Only if Ben needs a dump down do we throw to Davis.

Nobody here is really sure why Davis is even on the team.

DukieBoy
01-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Nobody here is really sure why Davis is even on the team.

Mewelde Moore should not be off the field instead of Davis. Moore can pick up the blitz pretty well, and he has proven himself as an outlet receiver and open-field runner.

papillon
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Parker should see the lion's share of the playing time today. I watched Ravens II last night and he picks up the blitz the best of all the backs. He caught a couple of dump downs and was tackled, I like that matchup Willie in space against a Raven tackler. He ran hard last week and will do so again today. Moore should be situational and Parker should be the man. You may think he's one dimensional, but, the Steeler offense is a completely different animal when Willie plays.

Pappy

steeler_george
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Honestly as much as I would the Steelers go out attacking. This game is going to be about ball control and field position. This isn't Indy's D we are facing.