PDA

View Full Version : Everyone seems to be picking the Steelers; does it worry me?

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Normally, it would scare the bejesus out of me. Flashbacks to the AFC Championship game against the Chargers in the mid-90's when no one gave San Diego a chance and the first AFC Championship game against New England in the early 00's when some no name 6th round pick had taken over for Drew Bledsoe. However, this is the Ravens. It doesn't matter if the press said that the Steelers should win by 100 or lose by 100, it will be an all out slugfest regardless of what the press says or what fans believe. There is no way that they will give anything but their all, so I in no way fear any sort of letdown in this rivalry game. The only chance Baltimore has is if the Steelers completely self-destruct with numerous turnovers and an insane penalty disparity. If we simply play our game, we will win this thing going away. I know that I will have an extreme amount of nervous energy in the pit of my stomach at the start of the game and pretty much throughout, but right now, I am eerily calm. We can do this. We will do this. Go Steelers.

:tt2 :Steel :tt1

:ratsuck

flippy
01-18-2009, 03:18 AM
I've heard a lot of 23-6 or 27-3 predictions.

In general, people are expecting a bit of a blowout.

AngryAsian
01-18-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm really not worried and here's why. Mike Tomlin. He's put his stamp on this team and if there are fans of The Nation out there who can't see that, then maybe an eye appointment is in order. This team is focused and it shows on all the seperate interviews that various players have given. Our guys are all about respect for their upcoming opponents. Respect, only derived from countless of meetings with said opponent and I'm sure, equally countless of hours spent in the film room analyzing them. Preperation in excess. This team will win and it will give the Raven's something to think about the next time they decide to smack talk.

flippy
01-18-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm really not worried and here's why. Mike Tomlin. He's put his stamp on this team and if there are fans of The Nation out there who can't see that, then maybe an eye appointment is in order. This team is focused and it shows on all the seperate interviews that various players have given. Our guys are all about respect for their upcoming opponents. Respect, only derived from countless of meetings with said opponent and I'm sure, equally countless of hours spent in the film room analyzing them. Preperation in excess. This team will win and it will give the Raven's something to think about the next time they decide to smack talk.

Did you see the IKE interview on JRIB earlier this week?

I think some guys are polished and always seem to know the right thing to say, and that makes them tough to read. Do they mean what they're saying, or are they just putting on an act.

But when Ike talks, it comes across as authentic. He clearly doesn't have a speaking coach or anything similar. And those are the type of guys that really give me the insight into exactly what you are saying.

Chachi
01-18-2009, 09:28 AM
A lot of talk about Cowher going 1-4 in home AFCC games.

Little talk of Noll going 3-1 in home AFCC games.

This is a new era in the Steelers' history, the Tomlin Era. Previous records mean little to nothing now.

Also, this is the continuing legend of the Roethlisberger Years. 3rd AFCC game in 5 years. 1-1 record as of now. He has a lot to prove after his rookie blow out at home at the hands of the Cheatriots. He has a lot to prove after his just above horrible performance in SB XL.

He has a lot to prove.....to himself.

We were +6 against the "hot" chargers and we dismantled them. We are +6 against the Ratbirds. I don't know if we will dismantle the Ratbirds, but I think we will do well, better than the last 2 games against them.

The years of "fearing" being the favorite are over.

This is the Tomlin Era......the years of reveling in being the favorite.

GO STEELERS! :tt1 :tt2 :D
:Boobs :Boobs

flippy
01-18-2009, 09:32 AM

This is a new era in the Steelers' history, the Tomlin Era. Previous records mean little to nothing now.

Also, this is the continuing legend of the Roethlisberger Years. 3rd AFCC game in 5 years. 1-1 record as of now. He has a lot to prove after his rookie blow out at home at the hands of the Cheatriots. He has a lot to prove after his just above horrible performance in SB XL.

We were +6 against the "hot" chargers and we dismantled them. We are +6 against the Ratbirds. I don't know if we will dismantle the Ratbirds, but I think we will do well, better than the last 2 games against them.

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Tomlin is more like Noll than Cowher. The team will even up their record at 5-5 in home AFC Championship games.

flippy
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Tomlin is more like Noll than Cowher. The team will even up their record at 5-5 in home AFC Championship games.

:Agree

papillon
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I rewatched the 12/14 game against the Ravens last night...

The Ravens average starting field position was their own 43 yard line in the first half and they scored 3 points. (Flacco will give the ball away today)

The Steelers had decent success running the ball early, either the Ravens adjusted and really shut it down or the Steelers failed to get great push late in the game. (The Ravens are beat up and are playing their 17th consecutive game; the Steelers get the advantage late in this game)

The Steelers shot themselves in the foot many times in this game with idiotic penalties, dropped passes and, of course, giveaways (Holmes and Roethlisberger) near their own goal line. (The Steelers have been taking care of the ball as of late)

Ben was sharp for the most part in this game; the Ravens made some nice open field tackles to stop drives. (This needs to continue, obviously, and, there's no reason to believe it won't. He's been here before.)

Special teams had their worst day of the season giving up almost 150 return yards to ther Ravens. (I have to believe that the norm for the special teams were the other 16 games of the year and it won't happen today.)

Pappy's pick:

Steelers - 27
Ravens - 12

Pappy

flippy
01-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I rewatched the 12/14 game against the Ravens last night...

The Ravens average starting field position was their own 43 yard line in the first half and they scored 3 points. (Flacco will give the ball away today)

The Steelers had decent success running the ball early, either the Ravens adjusted and really shut it down or the Steelers failed to get great push late in the game. (The Ravens are beat up and are playing their 17th consecutive game; the Steelers get the advantage late in this game)

The Steelers shot themselves in the foot many times in this game with idiotic penalties, dropped passes and, of course, giveaways (Holmes and Roethlisberger) near their own goal line. (The Steelers have been taking care of the ball as of late)

Ben was sharp for the most part in this game; the Ravens made some nice open field tackles to stop drives. (This needs to continue, obviously, and, there's no reason to believe it won't. He's been here before.)

Special teams had their worst day of the season giving up almost 150 return yards to ther Ravens. (I have to believe that the norm for the special teams were the other 16 games of the year and it won't happen today.)

Pappy's pick:

Steelers - 27
Ravens - 12

Pappy

I agree with most of what your saying and this is exactly why I think this is gonna be a blowout.

Steelgal
01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Yep, I think a lot of us remember the misery of the 1-4 record with the tenure under Cowher. This is now Tomlin's team and those memories, I hope, are long gone!! We've already beat some demons earlier this year under Tomlin (winning in NE and Jax), so I expect the exorcist to continue today. Unless Ben has a major brain fart, I see us winning atleast by 10. Build a 10+ lead and make Flacco throw it to win. I don't think he'll be able to do it and that will lead to mistakes.

Is it 6:30 yet :Cheers

fezziwig
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
At first it worried me because of the let down in case it doesn't happen. After watching Tomlin, listening to Tomlin, I'm not worried or worried as much because, anything can happen. Lousy refs, refs refusing to call holding on the rats, turn overs, injuries, Arians is a butt wipe, etc.

Tomlin seems to have the correct leadership for this team and their past ghost or demons if I might say.

He fixed it in New England, he fixed the Jaguar domination, he fixed Baltimore twice this season and he has managed to win a playoff game at home this past week and non other than the Chargers.

What really cemented it for me was what a Pittsburgh sports annoucer said. " Cowher wanted the underdog role and played the no respect card. Tomlin welcomes being a winner and wants to take the winning identity and go with it. "

You know, I like Tomlins attitude of being the guy to beat. No disrespect for Cowher but, Tomlin is a nice change so far and let's enjoy being the team to beat, home field advantage, number one defense, best record amongst the four teams and number six almost in the trophy case.

I see the Rats coming out all a fire and dominating early to a point it will give us doubt. After they spend all their energy playing over their head, trying to hide their rookie quarterback, the Steelers will slowly take over the game.

Having said this all, will we win ? I don't know

Leper Friend
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM

:Boobs :BoobsGreat post.I like that thinking.

I have to admit I'm just naturally a little scared when Pittsburgh's favored in this spot. There's been way to many let downs. But you're right , that was Cowher,this is Tomlin.

papillon
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
As fans we are going to begin wanting to be the favorite under Mike Tomlin. He keeps the team focused and prepared.

Pappy

hellbanger
01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I always get nerved out before we play the ravens, but for some reason im not for this one. This is new to me and im not sure how to take it. :). My "kicked back" attitude could be a result of all the Steeler info ive been absorbing and im just feeding off the Steelers.

This team just seems to have their shiet together more than ever. Their so confident, laidback and positive. This whole "band of Brothers" attitude they have is inspiring. Maybe the media feels it too.

Man this is gonna be so awesome! :tt2

costanza2k1
01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I always get nerved out before we play the ravens, but for some reason im not for this one. This is new to me and im not sure how to take it. :). My "kicked back" attitude could be a result of all the Steeler info ive been absorbing and im just feeding off the Steelers.

This team just seems to have their shiet together more than ever. Their so confident, laidback and positive. This whole "band of Brothers" attitude they have is inspiring. Maybe the media feels it too.

Funny I'm the same way. BTW how's Chico these days? Chico=good times... LOL

hellbanger
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Funny I'm the same way. BTW how's Chico these days? Chico=good times... LOL

the same except for when the holidays come around. So many cops its like downtown is a warzone. They even run comercials telling people not to go downtown.
:Beer ive lives heere 30 years. I just stay away. lol