PDA

View Full Version : Dagger's Prediction - Steelers win big

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Have I mentioned I like this guy? How come he's not more famous? What a kick *ss website!!

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=5295

I think I can count on one hand the number of predictions we’ve made over the past 2 years at PGH but I’m going to give you one for this weekend. I almost gave you one last weekend but outside influences FORCED me to be nervous about the game and I ended up second guessing myself. I thought the Steelers would win in a blowout but I was told to “be nervous!!” Well, I’m here to tell you that I’m not nervous about the Steelers vs Ravens AFC Championship game. There, I said it. I will be a nervous wreck while the game unfolds, no doubt about that…but as I sit here right now, I don’t see how we can lose this game.

It would be very, very easy for me to play it safe and give you the same prediction as everyone else. The game will be tight, maybe a field goal kicking contest, most likely the game will come down to the final few minutes of the 4th QTR. No way. I’m going in the opposite direction and I say this game is virtually over by the 4th QTR like the Chargers game was. The Steelers are better than the Ravens. The Ravens have a good defense but the Steelers seemingly always find a way to move the ball when they need to. ESPN, FOXSPORTS, CNNSI, etc…hype up the Ravens defense to the point where you’d think they were the best defense in the history of the NFL. Based on the media coverage you would think the Steelers defense was just “OK” and the Ravens defense was #1 in the league.

1. Intimidation

The Ravens often intimidate opponents that don’t see them very often. Some teams enter the game already mentally defeated and they play scared or play too safe. The Steelers know the Ravens and they don’t scare us. They’re a good team with a good defense, nothing more.

2. Injury Issues

The Steelers are basically 100% healthy while the Ravens are extremely banged up. If Suggs is slightly hurt, Rolle is hurt/out, and their #1 RB McClain is hobbled, I like our chances even more. As a Steeler fan, you want their injured players to play in this game. You would much rather see a LB playing at 70% than see his backup who is 100% ready and fired up to make a name for himself. Often times, those injured guys who force themselves to play on gameday can hurt their team’s chances.

3. We beat them twice already.

The Steelers beat Baltimore the first two times we played them. It wasn’t an accident. We have a better team. If Tiger Woods beats me in golf twice in a row, is he less likely to beat me the third time “just because”? No. History is actually on the Steelers side here. Teams that are 2-0 vs an opponent win the 3rd game more often than not. The “hard to beat a team 3 times” thing is myth….I think the official number/record is 11-7 or something like that when playing a team the third time.

4. Flacco vs Big Ben

Things can go horribly wrong for 2 or 3 QTRS and Big Ben can still lead the Steelers to a win. Flacco needs things to go perfectly for him to lead his team to a victory. He needs favorable down and distance, he needs to have a lead or be within 1 possession of the Steelers, etc….Ben is no longer a game manager and he can win this game on his own no matter what the circumstances are. Imagine Baltimore is down 14-0 in the 3rd QTR…any way in the world Flacco leads them from behind? I don’t think so.

5. Things are different now

The Steelers are playing much better now than they were against the Ravens in Game 1 and Game 2. We are hitting our peak at the right time. Bruce Arians is calling games better, Ben is playing well and avoiding idiotic mistakes, our OL is improving, our RBs are making plays, our D is still fantastic, and our special teams are solid. The Ravens were dominated last week in Tennessee and if not for a few fumbles and an injured Chris Johnson, the Steelers would be in Nashville right now. The Ravens are banged up and are not playing as well as they were a month or two ago. Let’s not forget that we beat them earlier in the season wiithout Casey Hampton, Keisel, Willie Parker, etc…

*Call me crazy but I think Sunday’s game may resemble this game more than the 2008 games vs Baltimore. I don’t see the Steelers winning by 30 points or Big Ben throwing 5 TDs like they did last year in week 9 on Monday night, but I think this is the way the game might feel as we watch it (more or less). We’ll be able to move the ball surprisingly well through the air, we’ll mix in the run, and the Ravens won’t be able to do a whole lot on offense.

Disclaimer: The only thing that can beat the Steelers on Sunday are INTs, Sack/Fumbles, 60 yard pass interference penalties, special teams turnovers. If the Steelers play a clean game with no turnovers, this shouldn’t be nearly as close as games 1 and 2. I’m going out on a limb here but I’ll go with a 27-13 win for Pittsburgh.

costanza2k1
01-18-2009, 01:01 AM
It was pretty high up in my book until smartmonies started posting his agendas on the site. I like most of that guy's stuff but his constant ripping of Parker is starting to get on my nervers...Dagger and the rest pretty much rock especially their video breakdowns of plays...

buckeyehoppy
01-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Gonna hafta get hip to the Post Game Heroes. They sound good and read well.

Thnx fer the tip, SASF.

flippy
01-18-2009, 04:07 AM
I love the guys that think like I do....

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO!