PDA

View Full Version : Parker's joy generates positive vibes for Steelers

fordfixer
01-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Parker's joy generates positive vibes for Steelers
Saturday, January 17, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09017/942573-66.stm

Maybe it's just Willie Parker's personality, which is so infectious his coach said it energizes the rest of his teammates. Maybe it's the enjoyment he gets from making a big play, breaking a long run or, perhaps more important, feeling better than he has since the opening game of the season.

Who else could find a sense of pride in being trash-talked by Ray Lewis the first time he was tackled by the Baltimore Ravens' middle linebacker?

"I got up, and he was like, 'Not today, Parker, not today,'" Parker said. "That made me feel good because he knew my name. And I hadn't really done anything yet in the league."

Two Pro Bowl selections later, Parker's name is known by every member of the Ravens' defense, a unit that ranks No. 2 overall in the NFL and treats running backs the way a dog treats a chew toy. They have come to know him so well they have never allowed Parker to rush for more than 63 yards in six games against them -- and that was in the first meeting in October 2005.

What's more, the Ravens have allowed him to score just one touchdown in six games, and that was an 11-yard catch in the second meeting in 2005.

The Ravens' ability to contain Parker will be imperative for their success in the AFC championship game tomorrow against the Steelers at Heinz Field, especially because Parker is back to full health after being nagged by knee and shoulder injuries most of the season. And he has back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances as proof.

"He's definitely got his groove back at the right time," said right tackle Willie Colon. "That's a definite plus for us."

Parker is coming off a performance in which he rushed for 146 yards on 27 carries in a 35-24 playoff victory against the San Diego Chargers, a game in which he showed his trademark burst with runs of 27 and 16 yards, the latter a touchdown.

That came on the heels of a 116-yard rushing performance in the regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns, a game in which he scored on a similar type of run -- a season-long 34-yard touchdown down the right sideline in which he outraced safety Brodney Pool to the pylon.

Those are the types of run that have been missing from Parker since he missed four games earlier this season with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee. The injury dogged Parker for most of the season, one of the reasons he had only two runs of 20 yards or longer heading into the season finale -- second fewest among players with as many rushing yards as Parker (791).

"I definitely feel real good," Parker said. "I'm back full speed, that's really all that counts.

"I just wasn't all the way healthy. I wasn't all the way back. I wasn't full speed. When I'm struggling, I'm just struggling. I'm definitely feeling all right now."

Those are also the kinds of runs that have been missing against the Ravens.

Parker has 262 yards rushing on 92 carries in six games against the Ravens, a per-carry average of 2.85 yards. His longest run in any of those games was 16 yards.

"Who's to say he can't have success this time?" receiver Hines Ward said. "They've done a great job of containing Willie, a lot of teams have, but it just takes one game. We're going to try to establish our running game and, hopefully, we can bust a couple open."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Parker's long runs have a measurable effect on the team's psyche.

"Willie has that type of personality that, when he feels good, he has a bounce in his step and it permeates throughout a football team," Tomlin said. "Him feeling good, physically and mentally, is maybe rubbing off on a lot of people. Hopefully, it is. It's something that's really not tangible, but it's something that, if you're a part of, you appreciate."

"There is no doubt," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "The energy that Willie brings as a person we missed. When he can take a 2- or 3-yard run and turn it into 7, 9, 30, that excitement builds in the huddle. It gives those big guys, who might not have blocked that well, a great feeling that they knocked some guys around. And they will start knocking some guys around. That's what your back has to do for you."

Backup quarterback Byron Leftwich agreed. He said he saw his former teammate, running back Fred Taylor, create that same type of effect in Jacksonville.

"He reminds me of Fred a lot," Leftwich said. "They don't say a lot, it's what they do. He had that same kind of aura about him. When you give him the ball and he gets 13 yards, he'd throw his arms up and guys would feed off that because they love to see him have success.

"You know linemen aren't going to do that, a lot of people don't do that. But, when they see Willie do that, they get their joy through Willie. I've seen it before and I know what it does to a football team."
Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.
First published on January 17, 2009 at 12:00 am

flippy
01-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Cool story. It's like his teammates are fans of his.....

I love FWP.....

He needs to get himself a SuperBowl ring.

Chachi
01-17-2009, 09:27 AM

I love FWP.....

He needs to get himself another SuperBowl ring.

There.

Fixed that for ya.

:D :tt1 :tt2

JAR
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM

I love FWP.....

There.

Fixed that for ya.

Willie gave his first ring to his dad.

Chachi
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

I love FWP.....

There.

Fixed that for ya.

It's time to get another one for Willie.
Oh I know.

But just because he selfishly gave his ring to his father does not mean he didn't get 1 in the first place.

Flasteel
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM

I love FWP.....

There.

Fixed that for ya.

It's time to get another one for Willie.
Oh I know.

But just because he selflessly gave his ring to his father does not mean he didn't get 1 in the first place.

There.

Fixed that for ya. :lol: