PDA

View Full Version : Holmes as our punt returner

feltdizz
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Quick question... When we moved Holmes back to return kicks plenty of fans on the other site didn't like it. They said Holmes was too valuable and the reward wouldn't be worth the risk.

I'm a firm believer of putting the best guy you have back there..

anyway check the anatomy of a play on Holmes on NFLN...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e1e3be

there is also a nice ultimate audio of the game with surround sound....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e203bb

Iron Shiek
01-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes Sir!

It finally paid off. I was wondering what was taking so dang long!

steeld95
01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't understand why we don't use speed on our kickoff returns. The guys we have returning kicks have no chance of returning one. I am still confused on that one.

feltdizz
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't understand why we don't use speed on our kickoff returns. The guys we have returning kicks have no chance of returning one. I am still confused on that one.

Me too!!!

Oviedo
01-16-2009, 11:11 AM

I think there is a greater concern to get a solid return, if not great, but have someone who won't fumble and create a game changing moment in our own end of the field.

Even with his big return I still don't like Holmes back there. If he gets hurt our passing game really takes a huge step backwards. We need to draft a returner this year.

SidSmythe
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I think the Steelers don't want any KEY players on Kick Returns due to injury risk.

PURE SPECULATION on my PART.

I thought MOORE would be the best candidate but he's not expendable.

RUSSELL averaged only 1/2 yard less per Kick Return than ROSSUM did last year.

steeld95
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought we had a great opportunity when the Jets cut Justin Miller. We could have picked him up and he would have instantly upgraded our return game.

phillyesq
01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I thought we had a great opportunity when the Jets cut Justin Miller. We could have picked him up and he would have instantly upgraded our return game.

I thought that Miller would have been a huge upgrade, but the Steelers never had an opportunity. The Raiders put in a waiver claim and had a much higher priority due to record.

steeld95
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought that Miller would have been a huge upgrade, but the Steelers never had an opportunity. The Raiders put in a waiver claim and had a much higher priority due to record.

That explains it. I thought he cleared waivers, guess thats why we didn't try. Hoepfully we can get someone with one of our later picks in the draft.

Oviedo
01-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I think the Steelers don't want any KEY players on Kick Returns due to injury risk.

PURE SPECULATION on my PART.

I thought MOORE would be the best candidate but he's not expendable.

RUSSELL averaged only 1/2 yard less per Kick Return than ROSSUM did last year.

Good point. I think we get caught up in the "ESPN highlight moments" and forget that big returns are very rare because the few make the "highlights" and the hundreds of "normal" returns don't.

I agree that you can't risk losing a solid contributor on returns.

LasVegasGuy
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

I agree. We seem to be content with catching the kick and making it to the 25 and that is it. With field position being so critical why we continue to ignore this problem is beyond me.

flippy
01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Quick question... When we moved Holmes back to return kicks plenty of fans on the other site didn't like it. They said Holmes was too valuable and the reward wouldn't be worth the risk.

I'm a firm believer of putting the best guy you have back there..

anyway check the anatomy of a play on Holmes on NFLN...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e1e3be

there is also a nice ultimate audio of the game with surround sound....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e203bb

WooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Never thought of him as a great return guy.....until this weekend....

frankthetank1
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
the problem is who else should be returning kicks besides russell? i doubt moore would do a whole lot better. you dont want nate catching a kick off so he is out. i cant think of any other viable players that you would want returning kicks

Iron Shiek
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
the problem is who else should be returning kicks besides russell? i doubt moore would do a whole lot better. you dont want nate catching a kick off so he is out. i cant think of any other viable players that you would want returning kicks

Ike taylor used to do it...but again...stonehands....

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
If he wasn't so valuable to our defense, Troy would be a beast as a returner, IMO. He seems like an insanely difficult guy to bring down on INT returns.

frankthetank1
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM

punts or kicks? i can remember ike returning a few punts but i dont remember him doing kick offs. yes he has some of the worst stone hands and what would they do if ike got hurt returning a kick off?

Iron Shiek
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM

punts or kicks? i can remember ike returning a few punts but i dont remember him doing kick offs. yes he has some of the worst stone hands and what would they do if ike got hurt returning a kick off?

I think he returned kicks in the Super Bowl...no?