PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know who Hartwigs backup is?

WS Steeler Fan
01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
It's sounding like his knee injury may be worse than Tomlin is letting on. Who is backing him up? We need to keep Ben upright as much as possible.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2009, 12:52 AM
It's sounding like his knee injury may be worse than Tomlin is letting on. Who is backing him up? We need to keep Ben upright as much as possible.

I hear Sean Mahan is rested, ready, and available for a low-round draft pick. He knows the system and could be ready to go by Sunday.

OK, you KNOW I'm just kidding... :lol:

costanza2k1
01-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I think Essex jumps in Stapleton's role and Stapleton becomes the Center...

Mel Blount's G
01-16-2009, 01:04 AM

I hear Sean Mahan is rested, ready, and available for a low-round draft pick. He knows the system and could be ready to go by Sunday.

OK, you KNOW I'm just kidding... :lol:
Doooooooooooood, that is not even funny. :nono We'd be better off letting Ben snap the ball to himself!

Stapleton WAS the backup. Maybe stapleton slides back over and Trai Essux goes to RG? It's really a good question.... :?

Mel Blount's G
01-16-2009, 01:05 AM
BnG minds think alike :Cheers

SteelerNation1
01-16-2009, 01:23 AM
stanz,
Stan was talking about this tonight on Sportsbeat and he said why weaken 2 positions? They said essex has taken a few snaps at C today in practice. Something to keep an eye on

frankthetank1
01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
stanz,
Stan was talking about this tonight on Sportsbeat and he said why weaken 2 positions? They said essex has taken a few snaps at C today in practice. Something to keep an eye on

i saw that and i agree 100%. i think essex should be the back up and keep stapleton at RG.

Chachi
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM

I have not gotten this impression.

What have you seen/read to give you this idea?

frankthetank1
01-16-2009, 08:46 AM

they interviewed hartwig a little bit on sports beat. i didnt love his response when asked if he would be ok to play. he kind of hesitated and said yea i will be ready to go and it will be fine. i expected a quicker response. it was as if he wasnt 100% sure if he would be ok. maybe im speculating too much though

WS Steeler Fan
01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I saw the same thing and that is part of the reason I am concerned. If you were certain you could go, you would be more animated about it. The other reason is that he still hasn't practiced all week. Now granted, how hard can the centers job be. I don't think they are tweaking his assignments that much. I'm sure that we can put someone in there to do an adequate job. If Hartwig can't go. Sit him and have him ready for the Super Bowl...assuming we win.... which we will.... just sayin.

Iron Shiek
01-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Hartwig's backup?

James Harrison? He seemed to do so well as center on the punt team...oh wait.... :|

SteelerNation1
01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Now granted, how hard can the centers job be.
Very hard. He makes most of the line calls. As the season has progressed, Hartwig has gotten more comfortable. I think he plays for sure, and plays well. No one even knew he was hurt last week. He'll probably play with the brace again.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2009, 10:08 AM
In the 4th quarter of the Charger game when Leftwich was in, Stapleton was the center and Essex was the RG. Parquet also happened to be the RT at that point.

stlrz d
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Now granted, how hard can the centers job be.
Very hard. He makes most of the line calls. As the season has progressed, Hartwig has gotten more comfortable. I think he plays for sure, and plays well. No one even knew he was hurt last week. He'll probably play with the brace again.

I agree. It's not like these are the days of the Steelers pulling the center to lead the sweep.

It would be nice to get back to that though!

pfelix73
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hartwig should be fine. His injury happened during the game against the Bolts and he put on a knee brace. He'll play with a brace.

Mel Blount's G
01-16-2009, 10:55 AM

they interviewed hartwig a little bit on sports beat. i didnt love his response when asked if he would be ok to play. he kind of hesitated and said yea i will be ready to go and it will be fine. i expected a quicker response. it was as if he wasnt 100% sure if he would be ok. maybe im speculating too much though
His hesitation could have been due to the fact it's not his call whether he plays or not and that those are questions that the HC should be fielding, answering and releasing relevant (or nonrelevant) info about. Maybe not, but just sayin'.....after all when they asked Troy what was the percentage of the likelihood that he'd play he said "...well Coach Tomlin does those percentages. Ask him" (that's not verbatim but close)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
The funny thing is that according to the team's website, the unofficial second dtring center is.....................

Nobody :lol: :lol:

http://www.steelers.com/team/depthcharts/

Left Tackle 78 Max Starks 79 Trai Essex 69 Jason Capizzi
66 Tony Hills
Left Guard 68 Chris Kemoeatu 65 Jeremy Parquet
Center 62 Justin Hartwig
Right Guard 72 Darnell Stapleton 79 Trai Essex
Right Tackle 74 Willie Colon 78 Max Starks

flippy
01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
stanz,

I think essex is gonna be an eventual stud for us when he finally gets a chance....

pfelix73
01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I will agree with you on that. I think he's going to pan out to be a pretty good player for us.

frankthetank1
01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
[quote="WS Steeler Fan":3l8qujqd]It's sounding like his knee injury may be worse than Tomlin is letting on. Who is backing him up? We need to keep Ben upright as much as possible.

His hesitation could have been due to the fact it's not his call whether he plays or not and that those are questions that the HC should be fielding, answering and releasing relevant (or nonrelevant) info about. Maybe not, but just sayin'.....after all when they asked Troy what was the percentage of the likelihood that he'd play he said "...well Coach Tomlin does those percentages. Ask him" (that's not verbatim but close)[/quote:3l8qujqd]

thats a good point that i hadnt thought of. it just seems to me that a player should always be confident that he will be ok to play. i guess i expected a response like "hell yea im gonna play"

Chachi
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... s/home.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/home.htm)

OL Trai Essex replaced starter Justin Hartwig (knee) in practice most of the week. Hartwig likely will play, but if he cannot, Darnell Stapleton would replace him and Essex would play right guard.

INJURY IMPACT:

C Justin Hartwig (knee) returned to full practice Friday, is listed as probable and will play.

SS Troy Polamalu (calf) practiced fully Friday, is listed as probable and will play. The injury limited his mobility somewhat against San Diego.