PDA

View Full Version : Ben is about to explode!!!

feltdizz
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_607199.html

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has always praised quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's improvisational skills and play-making ability. But rarely has Tomlin lauded Roethlisberger's pregame preparation or his knack for deciphering defenses in their two seasons together.

Times are changing. Tomlin couldn't say enough good things about Roethlisberger following his flawless performance against San Diego in the AFC divisional playoffs.

Tomlin saluted Roethlisberger -- who completed 17 of 26 passes for 181 yards, one touchdown and a 98.4 passer rating in the Steelers' 35-24 win -- in special terms reserved for Peyton Manning, whose quarterback excellence extends beyond the playing field and into the film room.

Tomlin's response to Roethlisberger's best playoff performance since going 21 of 29 for 275 yards and two touchdowns against Denver in the 2005 AFC Championship Game spoke of a growing bond between the coach and the most visible player on the team.

"Ben has been at his best not necessarily what you see in the stadium," Tomlin said. "I like the way he's been preparing. I thought he had a great week of practice last week."

Roethlisberger's decision to throw himself into preparations for San Diego has Tomlin expecting a similar effort against Baltimore, Sunday's opponent in the AFC title game at Heinz Field.

Roethlisberger picked apart San Diego's defense as though he had prior knowledge of the Chargers' playbook. He went through his progressions and consistently made the correct read.

"He was extremely sharp on his deep balls, play-action and communication," Tomlin said. "I believe the guys feed off that. I expect it to continue this week."

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 15, 2009

anyone think the line about Ben's decision to throw himself into preparations is a little weird? Could this be what Whiz used to get frustrated about back in the day?

I understand Ben has been hurt this year and has gone through a lot.. but I wonder if Ben (being naturally gifted) does just enough to win and not the little extra to really dominate the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him... I don't want Peyton Manning type studying cause obviously what Peyton does is good for regular season wins but not for the playoffs, LOL!!!

I'm just glad to hear Ben is all in.. dude looked like he was in a zone last game.

SidSmythe
01-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Took Ben a little while to get into it for the Chargers game . . . but he settled in and looked good. He made some good throws in traffic but i dont' think he'll get away with those same throws against Baltimore.

His deep ball timing was much better though. No hesitation.

feltdizz
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Took Ben a little while to get into it for the Chargers game . . . but he settled in and looked good. He made some good throws in traffic but i dont' think he'll get away with those same throws against Baltimore.

His deep ball timing was much better though. No hesitation.

Ed Reed is a hawk but we usually have success on slants and Ward on his 10 yard drags across the middle

mshifko
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
for how good ben is, he has a lot of naysayers locally/nationally...i think he is playing with a chip on his shoulder because last time we were in this spot, people were saying he was the beneficiary of a great running attack...ben is a leader and has what it takes to get us to tampa...

Mel Blount's G
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought some of his best decisions were finding heath, moore and davis w/ short throws/dump offs. Something I bitched about him not doing in some games this year. Even if we're short of a 1st on 3rd downs, a punt isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the defense we put on the field. It's funny because I love when he scrambles and jukes and makes one of his patended big plays yet I want game management too. I WANT IT ALL!!

feltdizz
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I thought some of his best decisions were finding heath, moore and davis w/ short throws/dump offs. Something I bitched about him not doing in some games this year. Even if we're short of a 1st on 3rd downs, a punt isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the defense we put on the field. It's funny because I love when he scrambles and jukes and makes one of his patended big plays yet I want game management too. I WANT IT ALL!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting Ben to check down more...

I never understood how a fan could watch Ben break 2 tackles and throw a game saving pass and then use it as proof that Ben doesn't need to check down.

Mel Blount's G
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM

I never understood how a fan could watch Ben break 2 tackles and throw a game saving pass and then use it as proof that Ben doesn't need to check down.
True, but some take his spectacular play-making ability and then mutate it into a brett farve comparison - i.e. "With the big plays you get the stupid decisions/ints." type-thing

We can have the freakishly incredible scramble/buy-time plays but not the farve-like close-yer-eyes-and-let-'er-sail throws. Yes. How 'bout without excessive ball-holding (I realize that don't sound right) leading to sacks/fumbles? That, I think, unfortunately comes with the big scramble plays

feltdizz
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":21h0531o]I thought some of his best decisions were finding heath, moore and davis w/ short throws/dump offs. Something I bitched about him not doing in some games this year. Even if we're short of a 1st on 3rd downs, a punt isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the defense we put on the field. It's funny because I love when he scrambles and jukes and makes one of his patended big plays yet I want game management too. I WANT IT ALL!!

True, but some take his spectacular play-making ability and then mutate it into a brett farve comparison - i.e. "With the big plays you get the stupid decisions/ints." type-thing

We can have the freakishly incredible scramble/buy-time plays but not the farve-like close-yer-eyes-and-let-'er-sail throws. Yes. How 'bout without excessive ball-holding (I realize that don't sound right) leading to sacks/fumbles? That, I think, unfortunately comes with the big scramble plays[/quote:21h0531o]

Ben took a sack on the GL in the first game but this time he bounced outside and threw it out the endzone.. for 2 years I watched Ben act like it was a 15 yard penalty to throw it out the endzone....

He is playing scary good and smart.. much better then 2 weeks ago IMO... he will be in the next tier of QB's if he keeps this up.

NW Steeler
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
He looked like the Ben of the 05' playoffs. Ya gotta LOVE our chances if he keeps playing like that. Isn't it amazing how much better he is when he actually has time to throw? Granted, he is making better decisions as well, but he looked pretty comfy out there last Sunday. Maybe he can give us a repeat of the Monday nighter against the Ravens from LAST year!! Something tells me that we are going to be a lot more points than we did in the last matchup.

:ratsuck

feltdizz
01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
i think we may be in for a surprise when we see how many points we hang on the Ravens..

RKSteel
01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
:Agree I know the Rats d is good and all, but I'm starting to get a feeling that this game isn't going to be as close as the last two. I think the Steelers are going to win and win big.

The Rats looked tired against the Titans. The Steelers should come out w/ a 3WR, Miller and FWP set and run the no-huddle for two quick scores. Get the Rats in catchup mode and I'll be lights out.

RuthlessBurgher
01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
:Agree I know the Rats d is good and all, but I'm starting to get a feeling that this game isn't going to be as close as the last two. I think the Steelers are going to win and win big.

The Rats looked tired against the Titans. The Steelers should come out w/ a 3WR, Miller and FWP set and run the no-huddle for two quick scores. Get the Rats in catchup mode and I'll be lights out.

Did you mean catsup or ketchup? After all, this is Heinz Field. :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
01-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Lets hope he and the rest of the offense can play well for the next two games.