PDA

View Full Version : NFL From the Sidelines (Dale Lolley) Wednesday

Steeler Expat
01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... -late.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/01/sorry-so-late.html)

I found this quote interesting:

The Steelers look to have an interesting game plan from what I saw at practice today. Because we agree not to report what we see in terms of plays and such, I can't share it with you, but suffice it to say, it will be interesting if they do some of the stuff they were working on.

Now, maybe they were just taking a look at it live to see what things looked like, but with in a situation with one game for all the marbles, there's no reason to leave any plays in the book unused.

I can't speculate as to what this might be. My best guess is they are opening up the game passing like they did at Indy in 2005.

frankthetank1
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/01/sorry-so-late.html

I found this quote interesting:
[quote="Dale Lolley":2xo2f13p]The Steelers look to have an interesting game plan from what I saw at practice today. Because we agree not to report what we see in terms of plays and such, I can't share it with you, but suffice it to say, it will be interesting if they do some of the stuff they were working on.

Now, maybe they were just taking a look at it live to see what things looked like, but with in a situation with one game for all the marbles, there's no reason to leave any plays in the book unused.

I can't speculate as to what this might be. My best guess is they are opening up the game passing like they did at Indy in 2005.[/quote:2xo2f13p]

thats what i would think too. i just hope they dont try and gadget plays when they do not need too. passing early and often is fine, as long as its mostly short routes and quick throws. the ravens pass rush against this o-line is a scary matchup

Oviedo
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
I can't speculate as to what this might be. My best guess is they are opening up the game passing like they did at Indy in 2005.

I have to think that is the plan. Running ball plays into the Ravens' hands because they want to stuff you and get you into 3rd and long where they dictate what happens.

I said in another thread that their achilles heel is defending TEs--Miller and Spaeth early and often.

MeetJoeGreene
01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
How about getting Parker and Moore in the same backfield and really making the Ravens guess

Steeler Shades
01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't care what pass plays they call as long as Ben gets rid of the ball quickly. Any of those slow developing fake hand-off, 7 step, spin around, and wait for the WRs to make double moves and a crossing pattern 30 yards down the field is going to get Ben killed. We should see a lot of Heath and NO SWEED. 8)

flippy
01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
How about getting Parker and Moore in the same backfield and really making the Ravens guess

+1

They talked about the pony package all preseason and we never saw it.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm sure there are some wrinkles in the offense. Perhaps a little taste of there own medicine to keep the running game going. Pull a TE for maybe Capazzi and show them our own unbalanced look. Also, If they spread out the Ravens on defense with 3 WR sets, it could help the running game. Throw in some 4 wide and Lewis will have to come off the field.

I have a feeling a bigger wrinkle will appear on defense if the unbalanced "Tackle Over" works better than last game for the Ravens. I'm thinking a DL shift to the unbalanced and Timmons on the field as well as foote. If the Ravens want to give up a receiver at the cost of covering Harrison with an OT the Steelers should pull a S. I experienced something like this before. What it basicly is...Is a 4-4 defense. However, Woodley would basicly kick-down to DE and Timmons would be the OLB. The DL shifts to the unbalance side. The strongside/onside OLB, which is the unbalanced side in this scheme, will still line up outside shoulder of TE(OT Terry). The other LBs have gap set between the DL. This neutralizes the unbalance scheme against the run. You give up a S in coverage. But basicly the S is given up anyway with the "8th in the box". This just puts a LB in run support in the box versus a S. Timmons athleticism should allow them to do this because he will have coverage responsiblity in the pass. The most important thing is not to allow the Ravens running game to get going out of the unbalanced look. Force them out of the unbalanced look. If they stay in that look for pass protection against Harrison, having 8 DLs/LBs in the box without preparation for it will really disrupt the pass blocking. The pressure will be there and the fate of the Ravens will be on a rookie QB. That is exactly what the Steelers are hoping for. The Steelers can not allow the Ravens to control the clock and wear down the defense with this look. Make Flacco get them to the Super Bowl. Any QB, let alone a rookie QB, would have trouble doing that against this D.

MeetJoeGreene
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm sure there are some wrinkles in the offense. Perhaps a little taste of there own medicine to keep the running game going. Pull a TE for maybe Capazzi and show them our own unbalanced look. Also, If they spread out the Ravens on defense with 3 WR sets, it could help the running game. Throw in some 4 wide and Lewis will have to come off the field.

I have a feeling a bigger wrinkle will appear on defense if the unbalanced "Tackle Over" works better than last game for the Ravens. I'm thinking a DL shift to the unbalanced and Timmons on the field as well as foote. If the Ravens want to give up a receiver at the cost of covering Harrison with an OT the Steelers should pull a S. I experienced something like this before. What it basicly is...Is a 4-4 defense. However, Woodley would basicly kick-down to DE and Timmons would be the OLB. The DL shifts to the unbalance side. The strongside/onside OLB, which is the unbalanced side in this scheme, will still line up outside shoulder of TE(OT Terry). The other LBs have gap set between the DL. This neutralizes the unbalance scheme against the run. You give up a S in coverage. But basicly the S is given up anyway with the "8th in the box". This just puts a LB in run support in the box versus a S. Timmons athleticism should allow them to do this because he will have coverage responsiblity in the pass. The most important thing is not to allow the Ravens running game to get going out of the unbalanced look. Force them out of the unbalanced look. If they stay in that look for pass protection against Harrison, having 8 DLs/LBs in the box without preparation for it will really disrupt the pass blocking. The pressure will be there and the fate of the Ravens will be on a rookie QB. That is exactly what the Steelers are hoping for. The Steelers can not allow the Ravens to control the clock and wear down the defense with this look. Make Flacco get them to the Super Bowl. Any QB, let alone a rookie QB, would have trouble doing that against this D.

That could very well be the key., right there.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-15-2009, 04:31 PM

That could very well be the key., right there.

You put Timmons on the field with Woodley, Farrior, Foote, & Harrison...I like our chances of completely shutting down the run and making them one dimensional. You make Flacco alone beat this defense. Timmons has shown the ability to cover TEs, RBs, & WRs that had above average athleticism. There isn't anyone on their offense that creates a match-up problem at WR. Timmons could shut down Heap or any RB they have in pass coverage. Troy could play centerfield. This game will be won or lost in the run game of the Ravens. If the Steelers can shut it down...It will be tough for the Ravens to stay close. Ben needs to use his head and not force any turnovers. The Steelers can move the ball through the air but patience by Ben & the running game will be the key for the Steelers offense. Ben needs to take his shots when they are there...But cover up when they throw their punches.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
gotta love coach Tomlin.

there is no turtle in the man.