PDA

View Full Version : Did the Ravens’ Defense ‘Take Out’ Tennessee’s Chris Johnson

JAR
01-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Pictures to go along with the article in the link.

Ray Lewis’s smashing hit on Titans fullback Ahmard Hall, which caused his helmet to go flying, was probably the most memorable play from Baltimore’s 13-10 victory over Tennessee on Saturday. But it appears the play that had the biggest impact on the game occurred immediately after the Hall-Lewis collision.

When Tennessee had the ball at its 12-yard line with just under 10 minutes left in the second quarter, Chris Johnson, a rookie running back, was in the middle of a monster performance. He had 79 total yards, including an 8-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. His one reception had gone for a 28-yard gain.

So when Johnson knifed his way through the Baltimore line for a 7-yard gain on first down at the Titans’ 12, the good news for the Ravens was that Johnson had not broken off another big gain.

That was when the sequence in question occurred: Johnson’s forward momentum was being stopped by linebackers Lewis and Terrell Suggs — and right before the whistle blew ending the play — safety Ed Reed jumped into the scrum and grabbed Johnson by his upper body, preventing him from falling to the turf. With Lewis and Suggs draped over the back of Johnson’s legs, Reed continued to push Johnson, bending him backward awkwardly. The contortion was so serious that with the whistles blowing ending the play, Titans guard Leroy Harris had to push Reed away. The after-the-play activity among the teams resulted in a personal foul call on Tennessee. No penalty was assessed to the Ravens.

CBS commentator Dan Dierdorf picked up on the Ravens’ antics. He said: “I give Leroy Harris credit. They’re trying to bend Chris Johnson backwards and break him in half and he goes in there to take the guys off of his ball carrier. That’s what an offensive lineman is supposed to do.”

But the damage was done. Johnson slowly peeled himself off the turf. He even ran for 10 yards on the next play. But then Johnson came out of the game with an ankle injury. He had one more run, for a 4-yard gain, three plays later with just over seven minutes left in the second quarter. Then he was done. And so, as it turned out, were the Titans’ hopes.

If the Ravens were intentionally trying to injure Johnson, such an accusation would not be new. Earlier this season, Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall sustained a season-ending shoulder injury against the Ravens only days after Mendenhall was said to have text-messaged Baltimore running back Ray Rice, saying he was going to have a big game against the Ravens’ top-ranked rushing defense. In an interview with an Atlanta radio station, Suggs implied that the Ravens had bounties on Mendenhall and on Steelers receiver Hines Ward. After the N.F.L. investigated, Suggs was forced to issue a statement denying any such intent.

Suggs said: “When I did the radio show in Atlanta, that’s what I meant and I thought that’s what I said. I did repeat the word bounty early in the interview after the guy asking me the question used the word. That was a mistake. I misspoke, and I’m sorry for that.”

The consensus has been that the Ravens are just a hard-hitting team that plays until the whistle blows. But knocking Johnson out of the game clearly worked to the Ravens’ advantage. Do you think the Ravens are guilty of anything more than hard-hitting football?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... s-johnson/ (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/did-the-ravens-defense-take-out-tennessees-chris-johnson/)

Iron Shiek
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
What do you expect from a bunch of shady ba$tards...let Hines get a nice block on someone and hear them cry foul (for something legal) but they pull this $hit and say "what did I do?" Eff them.

I hate the Rats.

flippy
01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Put the bounty on Ward!!!!!

Uncle Rico
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
So when Johnson "knifed" his way through the Baltimore line for a 7-yard gain on first down at the Titans’ 12 /
Maybe ole RayRay don't take too kindly to anyone else but himself doing the knifings.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you think the Ravens are guilty of anything more than hard-hitting football?

Of course not. They never meant to put Johnson out of the game. Or Mendenhall.
Never meant to spit in our kicker's face.

And Ray-Ray was nowhere close to where the murder took place that night in Atlanta.

Did they say "bounty"? I'm sure they meant to say "bunny"...Just a bunch of nice, lovable
teddy bears, those Ravens...

stlrz d
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Ha ha. I saw Rats fans justify this as "the whistle hadn't blown and Ed was trying to strip the ball".

TallyStiller
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Ray Ray is responsible for taking the LIVES of two other human beings. Compared to taking another person out of the game of life, knocking an opposing player out of a football game to get over is nothing. Of course they're playing dirty. They are the modern day version of the '70's Oakland Raiders... a vicious bunch of criminals. The only difference is that the coach is skinnier and the owner doesn't look like Count Chocula.

Wolfhound45
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Setting aside my feelings about the Ratbirds, it was (at best) a borderline dirty play. Don't care if the whistle had blown or not, the forward progress is CLEARLY stopped and then (and only then) does Ed Reed come in and literally bend him over backwards.

My take?

Dirty.

:Steel

RuthlessBurgher
01-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Ray Ray is responsible for taking the LIVES of two other human beings. Compared to taking another person out of the game of life, knocking an opposing player out of a football game to get over is nothing. Of course they're playing dirty. They are the modern day version of the '70's Oakland Raiders... a vicious bunch of criminals. The only difference is that the coach is skinnier and the owner doesn't look like Count Chocula.

Perhaps the old school Al Davis could be mistaken for Count Chocula

http://blog.pennlive.com/corkyblake/2008/01/al%20davis.jpg http://justin-kennedy.net/CountChocula.jpg

But the new school Al Davis is clearly a sea monster

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/TiricoSuave/aldavis-1.jpg http://www.fun-stuff-on-the-web.com/images/sea-monster.gif

fezziwig
01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I can't remember if it was on Mike & Mike or just on WDVE that said, Johnson let his team down by taking himself out of the game. He got tired of taking all the hard hits.

Has anyone else heard this ?

stlrz d
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I can't remember if it was on Mike & Mike or just on WDVE that said, Johnson let his team down by taking himself out of the game. He got tired of taking all the hard hits.

Has anyone else heard this ?

First off, welcome to the board!

Secondly, I haven't heard it and I don't believe it. He was owning them until they twisted him like a pretzel.

fezziwig
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks, adgci981 told me about this site. I've been at The Steeler Forum. It's nice over their too.

Yeah, I too find it hard to believe a proffesional would lay down and especially with a game that meant it all.

You know the media, it likes to stir the pot or generate topics.

great to see all these familiar posters.

Iron Shiek
01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome fezziwig! Good to have you posting here. :tt2

fezziwig
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks pro bowler. despite me having a hard time with the black background, it is a great site and you folks are the best.