PDA

View Full Version : Uncapped year?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Is this a definite thing in 2010? If so where do the Steelers stand? How long will this last? It worries me cause I don't see the Rooneys going on a spending spree. I believe it is until they sign a new contract; they being the owners. Anyone have any other info on this Uncapped year thing?

Ozey74
01-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure what it means for the Steelers. I hope this wont turn them into the Pirates of the league. I hope the owners can work something out. I think that there has to be a rookie salary cap (like the NBA has)

Chachi
01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Is this a definite thing in 2010? If so where do the Steelers stand? How long will this last? It worries me cause I don't see the Rooneys going on a spending spree. I believe it is until they sign a new contract; they being the owners. Anyone have any other info on this Uncapped year thing?

You're right, they probably won't go on a spending spree. this doesn't, however, mean they will be cheap either. They will up the ante some but they won't go all Snyder or Jones either.

It's a misnomer that the Rooney's are cheap just because they don't go after expensive free agents. After all, they are consistently right up against he cap every year sometimes having to restructure contracts just to get under it. They made their QB the highest paid in the league. It's not like they are the Chiefs who are, IIRC, 20 million under the cap.

If they do go uncapped I think we will do pretty well. Not as well as we are doing, but the Steeler way of building through the draft and finding hidden talent in UDFAs will be a great asset during uncapped years. for only a few teams will be able to throw money at their problems.

Now having said that, I don't think the league will let it get that far. Once the genie is let out of the bottle (no cap) there is no putting it back in. The 2 sides will find a way to avoid the losing of the cap. Count on it.

frankthetank1
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure what it means for the Steelers. I hope this wont turn them into the Pirates of the league. I hope the owners can work something out. I think that there has to be a rookie salary cap (like the NBA has)

the steelers will never become the pirates of the nfl, if that ever happened i would lose my mind i think. i was under the understanding that the owners and players union still have to come to an agreement as far as a salary cap after 2009 or am i mistaken? there has to be a cap, it doesnt make sense if there isnt one. look at what baseball is today, its pathetic

Iron Shiek
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I heard yesterday on ESPN that ever since the cap was installed, the player's salaries have continued to increase year after year. So the NFLPA will do everything they can to avoid uncapped years because it would go back to the days of stagnant salaries and not many "raises" each year.

flippy
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
We'd be screwed?

The kind of money guys like Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Smith, Farrior, Timmons, Ben, etc. would get offered elsewhere would be unmatchable.

All our premiere players would be gone.

Oviedo
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Remember the Rooney's just asumed millions and millions of dollars of debt to keep the team. That debt must be paid off. If the slaray cap goes away then what do you think will happen as far as keeping up with teams like Dallas that have sweet stadium deals and control all the revenues.

Keep in mind also that teams like Dallas, Phoenix and other pro growth, pro business areas of the country do not have municipal governments trying to bleed businesses dry to make up for their tax revenue shortfalls like the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County would never hesitate to do.

If the cap goes away we will be in a disadvanatagous position unless the league balances it with additional draft picks to teams who lose free agents to a greater level than now. That may actually be an advanatage because the average NFL player has about a 5 year playing career so if you prime the pump with additional draft picks you could still compete. The challenge is for QBs because they would be the hardest to get as a rookie and get contributions early in their career. It is not the norm.

frankthetank1
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
another thing to keep in mind is that money doesnt always buy success in fact it rarely does. look at all of the teams that have won the world series in the last 10 years or so. besides the red sox you have a bunch of teams that are not spending nearly as much as the yankees, red sox, cubs and dodgers. its all about what you get for your money.

LasVegasGuy
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Remember the Rooney's just asumed millions and millions of dollars of debt to keep the team. That debt must be paid off. If the slaray cap goes away then what do you think will happen as far as keeping up with teams like Dallas that have sweet stadium deals and control all the revenues.

Keep in mind also that teams like Dallas, Phoenix and other pro growth, pro business areas of the country do not have municipal governments trying to bleed businesses dry to make up for their tax revenue shortfalls like the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County would never hesitate to do.

If the cap goes away we will be in a disadvanatagous position unless the league balances it with additional draft picks to teams who lose free agents to a greater level than now. That may actually be an advanatage because the average NFL player has about a 5 year playing career so if you prime the pump with additional draft picks you could still compete. The challenge is for QBs because they would be the hardest to get as a rookie and get contributions early in their career. It is not the norm.

Revenue sharing will not be going anywhere it is the foundation in which the NFL was built. However, the salary cap is a different issue and you could have uncapped years if a deal isn't worked out. The Steelers would still get their revenue sharing money but no way could they compete with the Snieders, Joneses or Krafts when it comes to signing new players or keeping existing ones. This would be very devasting for small market teams and the NFL owners will not let the league fall apart. They will hammer out a deal one way or the other before eliminating a salary cap.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
another thing to keep in mind is that money doesnt always buy success in fact it rarely does. look at all of the teams that have won the world series in the last 10 years or so. besides the red sox you have a bunch of teams that are not spending nearly as much as the yankees, red sox, cubs and dodgers. its all about what you get for your money.

I don't think you can really compare baseball with football. Baseball teams have minor league systems where the NFL does not. If the cap goes away there would absolutely have to be a minor league system set up. In baseball teams can draft a player and keep him in their minor league system, gaining experience, for years before they even make the majors, and then their clock kicks in which is years before they can become a free agent.

I don't think you can say that college football is the minor league system for the NFL either because we all see how long it can take for even all american level players to adapt to the NFL. Limas Sweed was one of the top WR in college football and is totally clueless as a Steeler. Troy was an all american and sat his entire first season.

The majority of the owners would never go for there not being a cap. I think if it came down to a vote, the owners for the cap would win out. Instead of there not being a cap I could just see a work stoppage if an CBA can't be agreed upon.

frankthetank1
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM

I don't think you can really compare baseball with football. Baseball teams have minor league systems where the NFL does not. If the cap goes away there would absolutely have to be a minor league system set up. In baseball teams can draft a player and keep him in their minor league system, gaining experience, for years before they even make the majors, and then their clock kicks in which is years before they can become a free agent.

I don't think you can say that college football is the minor league system for the NFL either because we all see how long it can take for even all american level players to adapt to the NFL. Limas Sweed was one of the top WR in college football and is totally clueless as a Steeler. Troy was an all american and sat his entire first season.

The majority of the owners would never go for there not being a cap. I think if it came down to a vote, the owners for the cap would win out. Instead of there not being a cap I could just see a work stoppage if an CBA can't be agreed upon.

the only comparison i was making is that you dont always get what you pay for. there are a handful of mlb teams that spend the most money in free agency and other aquistions and never win a world series. i think if the nfl didnt have a cap you would have teams like the cowgirls and redskins with 800 mil payrolls and not being very successful

100$handshake
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Dan Rooney has been the major player for the league in CBA negotiations. He and Pete Rozelle helped setup the current system. Working with moderate players union bosses like Gene Upshaw has been also very important. But the landscape is changing. Upshaw is gone, RIP, Rooney will be 76 years old and Roger Goodell is well...Roger Goodell.

Rooney's hand picked successor appears to be Jerry Richardson of Carolina and Upshaw's union successor has yet to surface. Will the new players keep the status quo of the last 18 years or will there be a seismic shift? Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder could soon be calling the shots and if that happens, heaven help us.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM

the only comparison i was making is that you dont always get what you pay for. there are a handful of mlb teams that spend the most money in free agency and other aquistions and never win a world series. i think if the nfl didnt have a cap you would have teams like the cowgirls and redskins with 800 mil payrolls and not being very successful

Yeah, I just think that in baseball you can draft and develop talent for many years and low payroll teams like the Rays can hang with the teams like Boston & NYY due to this. But in football, you draft a guy and 4 years later he is a free agent. I think in football you would find the teams like Dallas and the Skins would be able to load up too much. Just my opinion. Most NFL players even if they are top first round picks take years to really hit their prime. Some teams could probably draft well enough to hang with all star teams, but not many.