PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Mayor changes last name to get ready for Sunday

D Rock
01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 07140.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_607140.html)

Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl erased the Steelers' reviled rival from his name today.

Mayor Luke Steelerstahl -- relax, it's a ceremonial change only -- now holds the city's highest political office. He got the idea from phone calls listeners made to Pittsburgh radio station Star 100.7 FM.

"Some of the callers called in and thought it would be a good idea to change from Ravenstahl, given that we're playing the hated Baltimore Ravens this weekend, to Steelerstahl," he said. "As soon as I heard it, I thought it was a great idea."

Ravenstahl went to Allegheny County Common Pleas Court to fill out a name-change application. He signed one page of the application but left the rest blank to make sure he doesn't actually change his name.

The mayor also did not pay the $108 fee required to change one's name, but he did cross out the letters "Raven" on the glass door to his office and slapped a Steelers bumper sticker above the crossed -out portion.

"Hopefully it's just another way that can rally Steelers Nation to a big win this Sunday," the mayor said.

Ravenstahl is running for re-election this year. He said voters expecting to be able to cast a vote for him shouldn't worry about any confusion.

"I guess there's no truth to the rumor either that (City Council President) Doug Shields came down and applied to be Luke Ravenstahl now that I've given up my name," he said.

Shields has said he is considering running for mayor.

Coincidentally, "stahl" is German for "steel."

Jeremy Boren can be reached at jboren@tribweb.com or 412-765-2312.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow, what a great guy, I'd vote for him!*

So now his name, if "Stahl" means steel in German, is "Steelersteel".

*Especially if he changed his first name to Steely, and maybe middle to McBeam.

Steely McBeam SteelerStahl !

JAR
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Only in Pittsburgh :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I think he should change his name to Mayor Luke RayLewisIsAMurdererStahl instead. :lol:

Djfan
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
This is just a great story!