PDA

View Full Version : 7 AFCCG's in 15 years

SteelerNation1
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
The Steelers have been to 7 AFCCG's in the past 15 years. That is a remarkable stat. We need to take advantage of playing at home and get on to Tampa and SB43. I hope we don't take this for granted. Opportunities like this don't come around very often. Let's go Steelers.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Iron Shiek
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
As my friend always says...We are spoiled as fans...what can you say!? Relish it and scream your head off!

SteelerNation1
01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
As my friend always says...We are spoiled as fans...what can you say!? Relish it and scream your head off!
I can promise I will be doing that. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
The problem is we are 2-5 in those games and should of won at least 1 other SB under Cowher--But yes we are a little spoiled--Just get me one more championship and I will be happy for the next couple of years!!!

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
For the sake of contrast, this is the first ever appearance by the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game. Ever. Since the NFC was formed. Yup.

proudpittsburgher
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that they were commenting on Dungy and if he was a Hall of Fame coach. Both agreed he was a lock, which I can't argue. But they went down a list of coaches and said Cowher was marginal. They said they both had one super bowl, but Dungy is a lock because all of the 10-win seasons in a row for the Colts.

Cowher
*Took his team to the playoffs 10 out of 15 years
*Many criticise Cowher's playoff record, but the Steelers were only one and done twice in his tenure, his first two seasons.
*9 10+ win season in 15 years as coach. And of that, he did it with a QBs like Bubby Brister, Neil Odonnell, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox etc.
* a career winning percentage of 623. and a 12-9 career playoff record.

*Dungy had :shock: 6 :shock: one-and-dones from the playoffs in 11 playoff appearances
*And Dungy did that with 1 quarterback, who will be in the hall of fame shortly after his career is over.

I'm not saying Dungy is a hall of fame coach, he is, but Cowher is a first-ballot guy as well.

SteelerNation1
01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that they were commenting on Dungy and if he was a Hall of Fame coach. Both agreed he was a lock, which I can't argue. But they went down a list of coaches and said Cowher was marginal. They said they both had one super bowl, but Dungy is a lock because all of the 10-win seasons in a row for the Colts.

Cowher
*Many criticise Cowher's playoff record, but the Steelers were only one and done twice in his tenure, his first two seasons.
*9 10+ win season in 15 years as coach. And of that, he did it with a QBs like Bubby Brister, Neil Odonnell, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox etc.

*Dungy had :shock: 6 :shock: one-and-dones from the playoffs in 11 playoff appearances
*And Dungy did that with 1 quarterback, who will be in the hall of fame shortly after his career is over.

I'm not saying Dungy is a hall of fame coach, he is, but Cowher is a first-ballot guy as well.
If Dungy gets in, Cowher is a lock. Did anybody realize Cowher is 101-1-1 when he has at least an 11 point lead? :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
The Steelers have been to 7 AFCCG's in the past 15 years. That is a remarkable stat. We need to take advantage of playing at home and get on to Tampa and SB43. I hope we don't take this for granted. Opportunities like this don't come around very often. Let's go Steelers.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not only that but this is the third of Ben's 5 year career. That is equally remarkable, especially for a game manger. :lol:

Now factor in:

In '06 he bounced off a car and had emergency surgery one week prior to the season starting. I have always said that I am willing to give him a full pass for that season, most QBs would never have played even close to the 15 games that the "drama queen" played that season.

That gives us 3 AFCCGs in five years - only four healthy years, and possibly 2 SBs. Wow, I wonder where that would rank all time.........

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
The problem is we are 2-5 in those games and should of won at least 1 other SB under Cowher--But yes we are a little spoiled--Just get me one more championship and I will be happy for the next couple of years!!!

I just get the feeling that Tomlin won't be satisfied with just one which is a very good thing and importnat to not have a repeat of the 2006 letdown.

Iron Shiek
01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Its funny that of all people on ESPN radio, Colin Cowherd is the only one that has any common sense. Now, we all know he likes to bash the Steelers, but honestly he does it for his schtick because he knows it riles us all up. In fact he told me so himself. My buddy went to a live show of his here in Columbus and he got Cowherd to call me at work and left me a voice mail saying not to listen to all the steelers stuff he says cuz its just for the show. Oops I went on a tangent.

Anyway, with all the news of Dungy retiring last week, he really took shots at Dungy saying what has he accomplished. He's had the best QB arguably in history and good coaching and front office staffs, and all he could muster was one super bowl? And all those one and dones? He says there's no way Dungy should have only one super bowl, and that he should have multiple...as in 3 or 4.

Conversely, you look at Cowher who had no qbs forever but managed to get deep into playoffs numerous times. So while I think Dungy and Cowher probably get in, Cowher has a better argument in my mind (steeler homerism aside).

Starlifter
01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
If Dungy gets in, Cowher is a lock. Did anybody realize Cowher is 101-1-1 when he has at least an 11 point lead? :lol:

and gardocki has 2 million attempts without ever having a punt blocked....... :ratsuck

stlrz d
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM

and gardocki has 2 million attempts without ever having a punt blocked....... :ratsuck

Can he play center?

rpmpit
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Cowher

Wanna laugh? When we were up 21-10 on Sunday, I almost dropped the "11 point lead" stat on my friends and family who were watching the game with me.

TallyStiller
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Not only that but this is the third of Ben's 5 year career. That is equally remarkable, especially for a game manger. :lol:

Now factor in:

In '06 he bounced off a car and had emergency surgery one week prior to the season starting. I have always said that I am willing to give him a full pass for that season, most QBs would never have played even close to the 15 games that the "drama queen" played that season.

That gives us 3 AFCCGs in five years - only four healthy years, and possibly 2 SBs. Wow, I wonder where that would rank all time.........

If we win Sunday, it ranks him #1 all time for the first 5 years of a career in wins as a starter. Breaks a tie with Brady... both are at 57 right now. Next are Marino with 50, and Elway with 49. That is some hellacious game managing right there...

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Cowher

Wanna laugh? When we were up 21-10 on Sunday, I almost dropped the "11 point lead" stat on my friends and family who were watching the game with me.

I almost turned to the Chargers fan sitting next to me at the game and said the same thing - but I didn't want to jinx us. So instead I pretended to dab the corner of my eyes with my terrible towel while feigning sobs and saying CRY ME A RIVERS. And then I said "So, do ya' think Norv gets fired tomorrow?"

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
For the sake of contrast, this is the first ever appearance by the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game. Ever. Since the NFC was formed. Yup.
that makes Whiz the better choice for HC...

SteelerNation1
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Cowher

I almost turned to the Chargers fan sitting next to me at the game and said the same thing - but I didn't want to jinx us. So instead I pretended to dab the corner of my eyes with my terrible towel while feigning sobs and saying CRY ME A RIVERS. And then I said "So, do ya' think Norv gets fired tomorrow?"
During pregame warmups, we were down in the end zone tearing ol' Norv a new a-hole. It was great. Norv was talking to their punter Scifers, and he was cracking up. As soon as Norv bolted, Scifers actually started talking smack back to us. It was awesome.

feltdizz
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Its funny that of all people on ESPN radio, Colin Cowherd is the only one that has any common sense. Now, we all know he likes to bash the Steelers, but honestly he does it for his schtick because he knows it riles us all up. In fact he told me so himself. My buddy went to a live show of his here in Columbus and he got Cowherd to call me at work and left me a voice mail saying not to listen to all the steelers stuff he says cuz its just for the show. Oops I went on a tangent.

Anyway, with all the news of Dungy retiring last week, he really took shots at Dungy saying what has he accomplished. He's had the best QB arguably in history and good coaching and front office staffs, and all he could muster was one super bowl? And all those one and dones? He says there's no way Dungy should have only one super bowl, and that he should have multiple...as in 3 or 4.

Conversely, you look at Cowher who had no qbs forever but managed to get deep into playoffs numerous times. So while I think Dungy and Cowher probably get in, Cowher has a better argument in my mind (steeler homerism aside).

How is Peyton considered the "best in history" if he has only one SB? It kills me how they try to drag Peyton to the top when he is a major choke artist when it counts....

I've always been more of an Eli apologist cause I think he is better at shaking off bad plays(he has many) and he did more with less at Ole Miss....

I'm just sick of the Peyton praise.... they try to force his greatness on us regardless of his playoff history.... and it's not like Marino where he had no running game...
he has a dome and piped in noise....

anyway... I actually think both coaches should have at least one more SB win... Cowher had ehh.. QB play but he always had the much better D's...