PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Steeler Playoff Fact

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
From this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... eam_report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-pit&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Mike Tomlin, 2-for-2 on winning division titles, became the fastest to win a playoff game of all Steelers coaches. Chuck Noll won his first playoff game - the Immaculate Reception—in his fourth season, 1972. Bill Cowher won his first in his third season, 1994.

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
From this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... eam_report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-pit&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Mike Tomlin, 2-for-2 on winning division titles, became the fastest to win a playoff game of all Steelers coaches. Chuck Noll won his first playoff game - the Immaculate Reception—in his fourth season, 1972. Bill Cowher won his first in his third season, 1994.

Just more evidence that Tomlin was the right man for the job. Imagine if we win the Super Bowl in only his second season. All hail the rise of the Tomlin dynasty. :Bow :Bow :Bow

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
From this article:

Just more evidence that Tomlin was the right man for the job. Imagine if we win the Super Bowl in only his second season. All hail the rise of the Tomlin dynasty. :Bow :Bow :Bow

Yeah. But Noll and Cowher didn't inherit teams 2 years removed from the Super Bowl.

:D :stirpot

flippy
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
He's gonna be the fastest to win a SuperBowl too.

Blitz-en
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't understand the whole, "Tomlin inherited a team 2 years removed from the Super Bowl" thing! It's a very weak arguement. Hell, where has Seattle gone, two years removed from a Super Bowl? How about the Giants 1 year removed? The Pats* a year removed? Indy?

Just saying, in today's NFL, that's not saying anything. I've seen plenty of teams that should win a SB that don't even get there, veteran coaches and all. It's just not easy, no matter what. Look at Atlanta. Really, Mike Smith must be Belichick X 2 if we want to give him all the credit for that turnaround. Or Sparano, wow, why didn't somebody get this guy earlier?

We hold Cowher in such high esteem, a guy that could win the big one, a dominant coach in this league.........and he led the Super Bowl Champs to an 8-8 record the next year.

Seriously, Tomlin has done his fair share to maintain and improve this team. Stop taking things off of him.

Mel Blount's G
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
And to think he'll only get better.... :Beer

stlrz d
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't understand the whole, "Tomlin inherited a team 2 years removed from the Super Bowl" thing! It's a very weak arguement. Hell, where has Seattle gone, two years removed from a Super Bowl? How about the Giants 1 year removed? The Pats* a year removed? Indy?

Just saying, in today's NFL, that's not saying anything. I've seen plenty of teams that should win a SB that don't even get there, veteran coaches and all. It's just not easy, no matter what. Look at Atlanta. Really, Mike Smith must be Belichick X 2 if we want to give him all the credit for that turnaround. Or Sparano, wow, why didn't somebody get this guy earlier?

We hold Cowher in such high esteem, a guy that could win the big one, a dominant coach in this league.........and he led the Super Bowl Champs to an 8-8 record the next year.

Seriously, Tomlin has done his fair share to maintain and improve this team. Stop taking things off of him.

:Clap

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Yeah, but Whiz has done much more with much less is AZ.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM

boy, you're fiesty today. :stirpot

FWIW, their offense is superior to ours... By most (non-steeler) fans accounts, across teh board... former MVP QB, their WRs are ridiculous, their line is better than ours, RB is debatable... I guess Heath is better than Pope and Spach for them...

Defensively, while we're certainly better, they're not terrible.
They have one of the best safety tandems in the NFL in A.Wilson and A.Rolle, for example. Wilson is a stud and Rolle is a ballhawk with CB coverage skills (was drafted as a CB). I'm guessing Rogers-Cromartie (a pretty good player) displaced him...
Their LBs were good enough to also make Haggans a backup - that speaks volumes for how good they actually are, considering Clark was a starter for our division winning team last year.

For the most part, NFL teams aren't THAT different, talent wise. Scheme, understanding and desire play a big role. Those 3 are all impacted by coaching.

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Doesn't Whisenhunt's current Cardinal team have roughly the same number of people with SBXL rings as Tomlin's current Steeler team? How come nobody talks about him inheriting a roster that is 2 years removed from a Super Bowl? :stirpot

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM

For some strange reason, my boundless joy is manifesting itself in sarcasm and attempts to mock/bait negative posters.......totally out of character for me.

stlrz d
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Doesn't Whisenhunt's current Cardinal team have roughly the same number of people with SBXL rings as Tomlin's current Steeler team? How come nobody talks about him inheriting a roster that is 2 years removed from a Super Bowl? :stirpot

I love you plastic Jesus. In a strictly platonic, manly, one-seat-between-us-at-the-movie-theater, no-reaching-into-the-chip-bowl-at-the-same-time, no-phone-call-longer-than-5-minutes kind of way.

nttawwt. :P

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Add to that Warner and you have another Super Bowl participant.

rpmpit
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
WHEN Tomlin wins the Super Bowl in his second season, does anyone think it will lessen Cowher's reputation. I mean, come on - all those great teams, all those home AFCCGs and just one Lombardi to show for it.

And I don't want to take anything away from what Whiz has done down in Arizona. But I have to believe that last week had more to do with the Panthers having a really, REALLY terrible game than with Arizona all of a sudden becoming a dominant team. We'll see what happens with Philly this weekend.

And don't forget that Whiz was part of the staff that went 8-8 just ONE year removed from the Super Bowl.

Djfan
01-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I love you plastic Jesus. In a strictly platonic, manly, one-seat-between-us-at-the-movie-theater, no-reaching-into-the-chip-bowl-at-the-same-time, no-phone-call-longer-than-5-minutes kind of way.

nttawwt. :P

That's my feeling about most friends of mine. All of the men, and most of the women.

LasVegasGuy
01-13-2009, 01:48 PM
WHEN Tomlin wins the Super Bowl in his second season, does anyone think it will lessen Cowher's reputation. I mean, come on - all those great teams, all those home AFCCGs and just one Lombardi to show for it.

And I don't want to take anything away from what Whiz has done down in Arizona. But I have to believe that last week had more to do with the Panthers having a really, REALLY terrible game than with Arizona all of a sudden becoming a dominant team. We'll see what happens with Philly this weekend.

And don't forget that Whiz was part of the staff that went 8-8 just ONE year removed from the Super Bowl.

I'm thinking a healthy Patriot team this year and we aren't even talking about Lombardies. That team has our number so be glad Brady went down otherwise we might be playing this game in Foxboro and we all know about what happens when the Patriots/Steelers meet in the AFCCG. Be glad that is a moutain the Steelers and Tomlin don't have to climb.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM

For some strange reason, my boundless joy is manifesting itself in sarcasm and attempts to mock/bait negative posters.......totally out of character for me.
strange thing is, i sorta like the atttitude.. :Beer

(as you could tell, i still had to respond because... well... that's just me..

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm thinking a healthy Patriot team this year and we aren't even talking about Lombardies. That team has our number so be glad Brady went down otherwise we might be playing this game in Foxboro and we all know about what happens when the Patriots/Steelers meet in the AFCCG. Be glad that is a moutain the Steelers and Tomlin don't have to climb.

http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenglass.jpg

Mel Blount's G
01-13-2009, 02:30 PM

The "more w/ less" thing being debatable, Whiz's success doesn't negate Tomlin's. And maybe we'll see them face eachother yet this year for the ultimate crown...

Slapstick
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
The Cards went 9-7 in arguably the weakest division in football...

The Steelers went 12-4 with the league's most difficult schedule...and the team that they are playing in the AFCC? The Steelers already beat them twice...