PDA

View Full Version : Top three draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Bandito
01-13-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... 011209.htm (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/needs011209.htm)

Here's Steelers per the site... (Not surprised with the choices though would put DB/DE before NT)

Pittsburgh Steelers

OT ó OLT Marvel Smith missed most of this season with a back injury and has finished the last two campaigns on injured reserve. Also, ORT Willie Colon has struggled in pass protection in his two seasons as a starter.

OG ó Neither OLG Chris Kemoeatu nor ORGs Darnell Stapleton and Kendall Simmons played exceptionally well this season.

NT ó The Steelers donít have any pressing concerns about the play of NTs Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke, but finding a young run stuffer to groom behind the veterans might be on their offseason to-do list.

SteelBucks
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

:ratsuck

snarky
01-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Somebody who can return kicks and a private detective to find and destroy the negatives Carey Davis has of somebody in the steelers FO.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Somebody who can return kicks and a private detective to find and destroy the negatives Carey Davis has of somebody in the steelers FO.
Dicky Lyons, Jr from Kentucky.... tough little SOB.

Also, I think O-line, D-Line, O-line....

OT, OG, C, NT, DE... I'd put the over-under at 3.5 linemen in this draft.

I'd also include ILB, CB, FS as secondary targets. These guys are likely to be talented, but, raw (like Ike was when drafted).

Backups at WR, QB and OLB (depending on Davis' development) may be needed.

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 08:47 AM
If we don't resign Bmac then CB because a Round 1-3 priority. What we do really depends on whether we resign Starks at LT or get a FA at LT. If we do that before the draft then I think our Round 1 options break down in this priority:

1. DL
2. OG/RT
3. CB

Keeping Starks or getting a free agent LT will set all the rest of the draft into place. It may in the long term be better to resign Starks than "break the bank" on a player like Jordan Gross, Khalif Barnes or Veron Carey because economically it may allow us to save some money to resign Bmac and possibly a RT.

Chadman
01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
If we don't resign Bmac then CB because a Round 1-3 priority. What we do really depends on whether we resign Starks at LT or get a FA at LT. If we do that before the draft then I think our Round 1 options break down in this priority:

1. DL
2. OG/RT
3. CB

Keeping Starks or getting a free agent LT will set all the rest of the draft into place. It may in the long term be better to resign Starks than "break the bank" on a player like Jordan Gross, Khalif Barnes or Veron Carey because economically it may allow us to save some money to resign Bmac and possibly a RT.

Other than Gross, neither of the LT's you mentioned would be a definate upgrade on Starks. And Starks, despite being 'overpaid', will not cost as much as Gross to play for the Steelers next year.

For Chadman, Starks is quite possibly the best option at LT other than a rookie next season.

phillyesq
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Couldn't agree more. I'll be a very happy man if he is no longer on the team next year. It will allow me to refocus on Simmons and Colon as my two least favorite players on the team.

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM

1. DL
2. OG/RT
3. CB

Other than Gross, neither of the LT's you mentioned would be a definate upgrade on Starks. And Starks, despite being 'overpaid', will not cost as much as Gross to play for the Steelers next year.

For Chadman, Starks is quite possibly the best option at LT other than a rookie next season.

I totally agree which is why I think Max Starks being resigned will be the FO's first choice. No rookie unless he is a Top 10 pick would be a good option at LT and we will be picking #32 not in the Top 10. :wink:

SteelBucks
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Does anybody know if Heath Miller is a FA? I'd hate to lose him and have to rely on Spaeth.

SidSmythe
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Does anybody know if Heath Miller is a FA? I'd hate to lose him and have to rely on Spaeth.

No he won't be a FA, but he should be a top priority for signing a long term extension.

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM

I think Heath has one, maybe two, years left on his contract. We need to be looking at extending Heath and Woodley now instead of waiting because we all know we won't do the bidding war thing if they ever reach free agency.

I also think James Harrison has one year left whcih is going to be a real interesting issue. The guy is the Defensive Player of the Year and a late bloomer who will be over 30 years old. Typically the Steelers let those guys walk, but not sure they would do that with Harrison. I hope not because he isn't 30 football years wise--maybe 27 or 28.

Locking up guys like Miller, Woodley and Harrison is why I do not believe we are a big player in free agency for the OL or that we can resign Bmac.

theBUS36
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM

I think Heath has one, maybe two, years left on his contract. We need to be looking at extending Heath and Woodley now instead of waiting because we all know we won't do the bidding war thing if they ever reach free agency.

I also think James Harrison has one year left whcih is going to be a real interesting issue. The guy is the Defensive Player of the Year and a late bloomer who will be over 30 years old. Typically the Steelers let those guys walk, but not sure they would do that with Harrison. I hope not because he isn't 30 football years wise--maybe 27 or 28.

Locking up guys like Miller, Woodley and Harrison is why I do not believe we are a big player in free agency for the OL or that we can resign Bmac.
Heath is important to this offense and needs to be locked up.

Harrison is going to be tough, because he is going to get PAID by somebody. And I can't see the Steelers bidding top dollar. I guess they could always resign Foote this year and let Timmons replace Harrison next year, rather than having Timmons replace Foote this year...not sure which I like better...

I am not sure what the Front Office is going to do with Bmac. I think they want to resign him, but not for what he might earn on the open market. I don't think his injury will hurt his value. I think the FO likes Gay, but DeShea is not getting any younger.

It might be wise to look at CB at the end of round 1.

Jom112
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Miller signed a 5 year deal as a rookie, so he'll be a FA after next season. So you guys should be talking to him this off season about a long term extension...

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Miller signed a 5 year deal as a rookie, so he'll be a FA after next season. So you guys should be talking to him this off season about a long term extension...

For cornerstone players like Harrison and Miller, we usually try to extend their deals with one year to go, so we don't have to worry about them hitting free agency and being tempted to see what they might possibly get on the open market. However, I would be willing to wait to re-sign Harrison and Miller until after next season if it means that we are able to sign Gross to a top dollar deal this offseason. If we can't sign Gross, though, I would extend Harrison and Miller now.