PDA

View Full Version : Only Two Negatives

Jooser
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Last night was just as awsome a game as I could have hoped for. I only want to point out two things that bugged me besides alot of the ones that most have brought up already.

1. I can't believe that our D gave up those two TDs late in the game. I thought our pass coverage took a step back, we were out of position alot of times on passing situations, both at the CB and Safety positions. We gotta learn to cover a TE better too.

2. Byron's pass to Sweed. :wft Dude, catch it and we score 42 on the Chargers! I know it was meaningless and I won't come close to calling him a bust yet, but come on mang, catch the ball.

Aside from that, I agree that we played one hell of a game. The Oline looked their best all season and so did FWP, you can definitely tell he's healthy and ready to roll to the Super Bowl. Bring on the Ratards, I'm ready for number six baby, yeah!!!

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Last night was just as awsome a game as I could have hoped for. I only want to point out two things that bugged me besides alot of the ones that most have brought up already.

1. I can't believe that our D gave up those two TDs late in the game. I thought our pass coverage took a step back, we were out of position alot of times on passing situations, both at the CB and Safety positions. We gotta learn to cover a TE better too.

2. Byron's pass to Sweed. :wft Dude, catch it and we score 42 on the Chargers! I know it was meaningless and I won't come close to calling him a bust yet, but come on mang, catch the ball.

Aside from that, I agree that we played one hell of a game. The Oline looked their best all season and so did FWP, you can definitely tell he's healthy and ready to roll to the Super Bowl. Bring on the Ratards, I'm ready for number six baby, yeah!!!

1.I think we were in prevent and although the Sproles TD was easy I would hate to see an injury on a tackle that late in the game.... we should have had the subs in.. they would have probably worked hard to get in on the action.. I think our starter were already game planning for the Ravens...

2. Sweed.. the kid is afraid of success. I really think he is scared of NFL contact. That catch was so easy..I think Lefty told him it was coming and Sweed didn't believe him.. hell, I didn't believe we went deep either...

he will be fine.. he can catch but he has to get over the "nerves" he still has the deer look.

Lebsteel
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Yea, I felt the same way about Sweed dropping the ball. My wife couldn't figure out why I was upset at him dropping the ball. I explained that he was the Steelers second round pick and we expect him to be able to catch a ball like that when he is so obviously wide open. But on the positive side, maybe he made a good move to get separation? Well...not sure what it is going to take for him to start catching the ball, but hopefully he will be just like Lawrence Timmons and be much improved in his 2nd season.

Also, late in the game, I kept screaming at the running backs, Moore and Parker to stay in bounds and not worry about an extra yard....how did Ben miss Holmes on those two wide open passes....etc....never satisfied, always looking for the Steelers to play a perfect game...

Jom112
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I was all ready to laugh at you guys and call Sweed a bust in the making but the kid does seem to get open deep a lot. I know I've seen at least two other catches where Sweed got his hands on a the ball deep but just wasn't able to come down with it.

If he learns to concentrate and not get overwhelmed he might end up being a decent receiver. He definitely showed he can get behind the secondary...

100$handshake
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm always a great believer in a player's ability to improve. Just the fact that Sweed is on the field in a playoff game must mean the coaching staff respects his abilities.

frunko1
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I actually want to sweed out there on some situational downs against baltimore. Run him deep one play, sub in washington, run deep, rinse repeat.

Wear out thier secondary and hopefully one will get open.

Jooser
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Yea, I felt the same way about Sweed dropping the ball. My wife couldn't figure out why I was upset at him dropping the ball. I explained that he was the Steelers second round pick and we expect him to be able to catch a ball like that when he is so obviously wide open. But on the positive side, maybe he made a good move to get separation? Well...not sure what it is going to take for him to start catching the ball, but hopefully he will be just like Lawrence Timmons and be much improved in his 2nd season.

Also, late in the game, I kept screaming at the running backs, Moore and Parker to stay in bounds and not worry about an extra yard....how did Ben miss Holmes on those two wide open passes....etc....never satisfied, always looking for the Steelers to play a perfect game...

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those 'perfect game' homers myself. It did suck when Ben overthrew Holmes those two times, but this time he made up for it and then some, so I'm satisfied. :D

JAR
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM

It was a trap set by LeBeau for the Ravens to make them think they can pass all over the Steelers next week and rely on Flacco's arm for a win. The rook will throw six picks.

flippy
01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
2 holding calls on miller and holmes and 3 penalties on the line (colon and stapleton x 2)

can we fix some of this sloppiness please?

mshifko
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
i feel for sweed..i know what he's going through...he's thinking too much...he's not playing his game...

i know people are like, wow that was an easy catch...it was...but not when you're preoccupied with all these other things...there is a lot thrown at these guys in terms of football terminology, checks, calls at the line, releases, reading the defense and adjusting your route...

he's not catching on as quick as we all thought, but he'll be fine...he'll be a stud WR for us

proudpittsburgher
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
i feel for sweed..i know what he's going through...he's thinking too much...he's not playing his game...

i know people are like, wow that was an easy catch...it was...but not when you're preoccupied with all these other things...there is a lot thrown at these guys in terms of football terminology, checks, calls at the line, releases, reading the defense and adjusting your route...

he's not catching on as quick as we all thought, but he'll be fine...he'll be a stud WR for us

I totally understand what you are saying, but he was our second round draft choice. Catching the ball is supposed to be his base knowlege, and all that he learns outside of that is the hard part. Look, if he runs the wrong route, I give him a pass. If he sits back on a ball and it gets jumped by the defender for a pick, I'll give him a pass. But the dude has shown no ability to catch the easiest of passes. He's not dropping jumps balls in front of two defenders. He's dropping go routes that hit him square in the hands on the runs, perfect passes to the exact spot on the field it needs to be. The only thing he has contributed to this team so far is stupid penalties. He may be fine int he future, but as of now, he is a bust of utmost proportions.

NorthCoast
01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
My growing sense of fear is that Sweed will be another Nate. Good talent in getting open but not a sure-handed go-to guy. Inconsistency is a killer for a future No. 1 or 2 WR. Just look at Braylon Edwards and the damage he did to the Browns. We need another Ward, we need WRs that will go up and fight for the ball in tight coverage. I don't see that fight in Holmes, Washington or Sweed.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 12:20 AM

on the one play, moore tried, he slipped and was hit...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
My growing sense of fear is that Sweed will be another Nate. Good talent in getting open but not a sure-handed go-to guy. Inconsistency is a killer for a future No. 1 or 2 WR. Just look at Braylon Edwards and the damage he did to the Browns. We need another Ward, we need WRs that will go up and fight for the ball in tight coverage. I don't see that fight in Holmes, Washington or Sweed.
my guess is that the team passes on WR this draft and stays mostly in the trenches - oline and d-line - for a pretty boring draft.

We'll take next year to figure Sweed out. Hopefully with a year under his belt, he'll stop thinking so much and start playing... Losing Arians would be a bad thing for his development - he'd have to learn another system.

NorthCoast
01-13-2009, 12:31 AM

I guess I need to remind myself that most pro football players don't have their PhDs. They learn by repetition (body memory) and recognition. I guess with the speed of today's players there just is not enough time to 'think' about the play as it occurs. Just hope Sweed spends a ton of time in the off-season in front of the JUGS and watching game tape.

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM

That is what really is confusing. Sweed's hands were like clue at Texas. I can't believe he forgot how to catch. I just remembered that during training camp they found a vision issue and got him contacts? I'm now wondering if they screwed up something with his depth perception or something else.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM

The OL had a good outing...however, they also had a good outing in the first Chargers game. The Chargers are one defense; the Ratbirds are at a whole 'nother level. Same with FWP's running--he ran well against the Bolts' D the first time around, but against the Felons it was an entirely different story. I'd like to think we will be able to run effectively this coming Sunday, but history tells me otherwise. If we are going to win this battle,
Ben will likely have to play mistake-free ball, and even engineer another last-minute scoring drive. I'm betting he'll come up big in this big game.

proudpittsburgher
01-13-2009, 10:55 AM

The OL had a good outing...however, they also had a good outing in the first Chargers game. The Chargers are one defense; the Ratbirds are at a whole 'nother level. Same with FWP's running--he ran well against the Bolts' D the first time around, but against the Felons it was an entirely different story. I'd like to think we will be able to run effectively this coming Sunday, but history tells me otherwise. If we are going to win this battle,
Ben will likely have to play mistake-free ball, and even engineer another last-minute scoring drive. I'm betting he'll come up big in this big game.

Yesterday, Hoge said that FWP will put up over 100 yards on the Ravens d, and even I laughed. I agree that 80 yards out of willie is good enough to win. And the O-line doesn;t have to dominate for us to win, just protect well enough. The Ravens secondary can be had if Ben has the amount of time he had against the Chargers.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM

1) Dude, thats nit picking. We had already emptied our bench and all of the backups were playing. In the meantime the league's top offense was still playing for keeps. It certainly inflated their numbers nicely, but all for naught as it only served to make the final score look less embarassing than it was.

2) While I would have loved to have seen him make the catch, I'm not even close to writing of Sweed yet. If there is one thing that we as Steelers fans have learned it is that draftees can have subpar rookie years and still contribute later in their careers. See Polamalu and Timmons for reference.

theBUS36
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM

I hope you are right. I remember another receiver that looked lost his rookie year and he went on to shoot himself in his leg. So there is hope.

I can understand the adjustment to blocking, route running and such but if your position has the word receiver in it, you catch the ball.

As for drops, I like how Nate has improved. He is a solid NFL receiver now.

Jooser
01-13-2009, 03:01 PM

1) Dude, thats nit picking. We had already emptied our bench and all of the backups were playing. In the meantime the league's top offense was still playing for keeps. It certainly inflated their numbers nicely, but all for naught as it only served to make the final score look less embarassing than it was.

2) While I would have loved to have seen him make the catch, I'm not even close to writing of Sweed yet. If there is one thing that we as Steelers fans have learned it is that draftees can have subpar rookie years and still contribute later in their careers. See Polamalu and Timmons for reference.

Yeah, it's nit picking. I guess I'm always looking for that perfect game like I admitted earlier. After finding out today that Troy was injured, I can understand why our secondary didn't perform like we're used to seeing, so I'm ok with that. Also, like I said in point two, I'm not ready to write off Sweed yet either, he's got a great upside if he develops. I just wished he'd have caught the pass, that's all. Here's to looking to roll to the Super Bowl, my Steelers Brother.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5883/364909198fe3255a9e7okk3.gif (http://imageshack.us)