PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why we win Steelers/Rats III going away

TallyStiller
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I saw several trends in this weekend's ballgames that suggest to me a decisive Steeler victory in the third installment of our rivalry with the hated Ratbirds... we'll divide them into two parts.

1. Why :ratsuck

Tennessee absolutely outplayed them on Saturday, but gave the game away on turnovers. The Rats were outgained 391 - 211. The Titans had both facets of the offense working, though at different points in the ballgame. Chris Johnson averaged 6.5 yards per carry prior to his injury and was headed for a 150 + yard performance. The run was effective early. Collins was moving the ball effectively in the passing game in the second half. The defense basically snuffed the Rats' O the entire game... they averaged less than 2 yards per carry, and Joe Jack - O completed only 11 throws all game. Take away the two deep balls, and he's under 100 yards, and the team gains barely 130. Add to that injuries to Suggs, Rolle, Leonhard, McClain, and the continuing saga of Derrick Mason, and the Rats are a banged up, worn out team. They've still got a ton of heart, and could beat a lesser team on Sunday, BUT...

2. Why we're better :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Willie is healthy. He is to our offense what Chris Johnson is to Tennessee's. We saw what Tennessee was missing Saturday after Johnson went down... a healthy Willie is what we've been missing most of this season. We will run the ball on them more effectively than even the most optimistic Steeler fan believes. The play action will be set up. This will provide Ben ample time to go to work on Baltimore's secondary, which is subpar at every position not manned by a player whose name rhymes with Head Deed. The offensive line is gelling and will play better than it did in either of the first two games. They are tired of hearing about themselves as a weak link, and don't underestimate the fact that at least 4 or 5 of these guys are playing for contracts. These next 120 minutes of football could be worth a few bigger digits in some contracts, and guys have the stage on which to showcase their wares. Larry Brown, anybody?

Defensively, I expect us to suffocate them. I believe McClain will be less effective due to the ankle injury, and they will stall early because his pound it up the gut approach is the only one that has worked for them against us. We'll be able to move the ball more effectivbely on the ground, generating field position advantage and points, eventually forcing them to try to open it up, at which point pressure, crowd noise, and the weight of the moment will combine to cause Joe Flacco to come unglued in a similar fashion to Matt Cassel's second half meltdown earlier this year against this D.

The game is going to, in my opinion, end up looking an awful lot like one of the Steeler/Raven tussles from the bad old days of '06, only reversed on the scoreboard. It'll be low scoring and tight early, but we'll bust it open late. I say it finishes with us winning by 24... Leaning 31 - 7 for a final.

IIIIIII Got a Feelin'... Pittsburgh's Goin' to the Super Bowl!!!! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree we win going away just like this week. Ravens had a tough one last week.

But Ravens will leave it all on the field.. I just don't think they have enough to keep up for 4 quarters.

flippy
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Blowout coming.

phillyesq
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I also like that our Defense almost had another half a bye week on Sunday, getting to sit for the entire third quarter, sans one play.

pfelix73
01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I totally agree. As long as Ben doesn't throw a TD or 2 to Reed going the other way, we win this one going away.

I have a good feeling about this game. We just need to play our game, stay out of mistakes, and our veterans will bring home the AFC Champ. trophy.

It's be close for awhile, but after the half we pull away.

Steelers 26
Ravens 9

Mick'sTeam
01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Man, I wish I was 1/2 as confident as some of you. Heading in to the playoffs Baltimore was the one team I did not want to face. There defense still scares me. I want them to win just as bad as anyone, I'm just nervous. However, this nervousness and anxiety is nothing new to me, I go through it every week.

By the way, what definite injuries are the Ravens dealing with this week?

theBUS36
01-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Man, I wish I was 1/2 as confident as some of you. Heading in to the playoffs Baltimore was the one team I did not want to face. There defense still scares me. I want them to win just as bad as anyone, I'm just nervous. However, this nervousness and anxiety is nothing new to me, I go through it every week.

Mick,
I agree. It is tough to beat any team three times in a season. Let alone the team with the 2nd best defense.

It all comes down to turnovers. We are a better team. If we don't turn it over, we win this game. PERIOD. Tennesee outplayed them, but turned it over where it counts, in the redzone.

As for the injuries, we will have to see the injury report when it comes out.

:Steel

Mick'sTeam
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Mick,
I agree. It is tough to beat any team three times in a season. Let alone the team with the 2nd best defense.

It all comes down to turnovers. We are a better team. If we don't turn it over, we win this game. PERIOD. Tennesee outplayed them, but turned it over where it counts, in the redzone.

Welcome to the board Bus. It is definitely all about turnovers, I totally agree. That's what I'm afraid of. Baltimore seems to create a lot of turnovers, at very opportune times, and Ben and company have a history of being careless with the ball. If we protect the football like we did yesterday, I will feel very good about the game.

theBUS36
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
[quote="Mick'sTeam":2fz56qlu]Man, I wish I was 1/2 as confident as some of you. Heading in to the playoffs Baltimore was the one team I did not want to face. There defense still scares me. I want them to win just as bad as anyone, I'm just nervous. However, this nervousness and anxiety is nothing new to me, I go through it every week.

Mick,

Welcome to the board Bus. It is definitely all about turnovers, I totally agree. That's what I'm afraid of. Baltimore seems to create a lot of turnovers, at very opportune times, and Ben and company have a history of being careless with the ball. If we protect the football like we did yesterday, I will feel very good about the game.[/quote:2fz56qlu]

Thank you. :Cheers

We cannot turn the ball over in FG range, points are going to be a premium on Sunday. If our OLine can play like yesterday, protecting the ball will be a whole lot easier too.

DukieBoy
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I expect a very close, very tough game. The Ravens are a good, tough, well-coached team, and very driven.

That said, I would like to see the Steelers have this game well in hand before the end of the 3rd Quarter, so I can watch the dejection on the faces of the Raven players on their sideline, watch them watch and wait at length for the inevitable end to their season. Watch them watch the Steelers win and move on. That would be exceedingly fulfilling.

ramblinjim
01-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I expect a very close, very tough game. The Ravens are a good, tough, well-coached team, and very driven.

That said, I would like to see the Steelers have this game well in hand before the end of the 3rd Quarter, so I can watch the dejection on the faces of the Raven players on their sideline, watch them watch and wait at length for the inevitable end to their season. Watch them watch the Steelers win and move on. That would be exceedingly fulfilling.

I was reading Michael Wilbon in the Washington Post today and he said in one of his chats that this game should be played in the Colliseum. :-) I hope Tally is right and we blow them out but I see a real Snot-Knockin 13-10 style football game. We win, of course.

DukieBoy
01-12-2009, 11:39 PM

I was reading Michael Wilbon in the Washington Post today and he said in one of his chats that this game should be played in the Colliseum. :-) I hope Tally is right and we blow them out but I see a real Snot-Knockin 13-10 style football game. We win, of course.

I want them to wish they were us. We will never ever wish we were them.

buckeyehoppy
01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I can see a kick-the-teeth-in battle for the first half.

But the Rattards are NOT going to hang with the Black and Gold for 60 minutes. This is the same kick-a$$ D that gave away 400 yards to the Titans. If they don't give away the game, the Titans win by at least a TD.

The Titans gave away that game, period.

If the Steelers want to win:

1) They win TOP.
2) They DO NOT, Under ANY circumstances turn the ball over.
3) They don't give up any cheap scores.

The Steelers had two of these three elements against SD. They'll need all of them against the Rattards.

Mick'sTeam
01-13-2009, 12:17 AM
As well as the Oline played against SD, it will need to double that effort against Balitmore. As you stated Hoppy, the Titans moved the ball very well against them. However, I believe the TN Oline is better than ours. I think that is the biggest difference b/w the Titans and the Steelers. If we can protect Ben the way the Titans protected Collins, we won't have anything to worry about.

buckeyehoppy
01-13-2009, 12:31 AM
As well as the Oline played against SD, it will need to double that effort against Balitmore. As you stated Hoppy, the Titans moved the ball very well against them. However, I believe the TN Oline is better than ours. I think that is the biggest difference b/w the Titans and the Steelers. If we can protect Ben the way the Titans protected Collins, we won't have anything to worry about.

As much as I lay into Bruce Arians and his plan of attack on offense, yesterday might have been his best job as a Steelers coach. I saw no flaw in their offense yesterday.

Now, that might be nothing more than a blind squirrel finding a nut (I HOPE NOT!!!). But the Steelers will need something close to what we saw yesterday for an offensive attack if a third win against the Rattards will be realized.

skyhawk
01-13-2009, 12:51 AM

As much as I lay into Bruce Arians and his plan of attack on offense, yesterday might have been his best job as a Steelers coach. I saw no flaw in their offense yesterday.

Now, that might be nothing more than a blind squirrel finding a nut (I HOPE NOT!!!). But the Steelers will need something close to what we saw yesterday for an offensive attack if a third win against the Rattards will be realized.

His best job coaching simply because the running game was working. And all those play action and rollouts worked to their benefit for a change.

buckeyehoppy
01-13-2009, 01:01 AM

His best job coaching simply because the running game was working. And all those play action and rollouts worked to their benefit for a change.

Possibly so, Skyhawk, although I hope that the O can keep that going for a couple more games before BA realizes he's, well...BA.

Djfan
01-13-2009, 03:07 AM
This is far and away the scariest match up for us, but it is ours to lose. If we play smart and execute, we win. If we mistake our way through it we lose.

That is not their situation. They need us to make mistakes to win.

At least that's my take on it.

Steelers 24
Rats 17

Oviedo
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM

The players were executing. That is why we were winning. Ben kept the ball safe. Even when forcing the ball deep he overthrew versus underthrew the ball which is what gets him in trouble.

If they can play as well on Sunday it will be Steelers 24 Ravens 13.

Uncle Rico
01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I just don't see the Ravens being able to outphysical the Steelers this week because of the pounding they just took in Tennessee. This game will be a case of a rather fresh Steelers team imposing its' will on a tired and achy Ravens team.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM

I was more scared of possibly playing them last week, not as much this week.

1) They are travelling to their third straight road game.

2) They just came out of a bruising game whereas our players did not get banged up nearly as much.

3) They are an older team and I expect them to be wearing down a bit more by their third playoff game.

This will be a much tougher game than SD was - where the score and stat number did not do justice to the domination - but we should be able to beat the Ravens.

NorCal-Steeler
01-13-2009, 11:47 AM
We will win because Ward will make it so. Holmes and Washington seem to pick up there play for the playoffs and Fast Willie is showing speed he hasnt showed all year.
Even the o-line looked good other than the mistakes by Stapleton and Colon. We stop the run and Flacco is shown to still be a rookie.

MeetJoeGreene
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
This is far and away the scariest match up for us, but it is ours to lose. If we play smart and execute, we win. If we mistake our way through it we lose.

That is not their situation. They need us to make mistakes to win.
At least that's my take on it.

Steelers 24
Rats 17

That is a very good point.

Although Flaco still worries me a bit unless he has to play from behind.

And Mason.. he is a very good WR.

SidSmythe
01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
IT'S THIS SIMPLE

Win the turnover battle . . . . Tennessee lost it and they are home.

GO even in the turnover battle will be good enough.

FLACCO isn't going to beat us
McCLAIN and McGahee aren't going to beat us.

Only the Steelers can beat us this week.

TallyStiller
01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Possibly so, Skyhawk, although I hope that the O can keep that going for a couple more games before BA realizes he's, well...BA.

We got a January miracle in 2006 when Cowher forgot that he was Cowher and threw the ball early to set up the run, going entirely against his own tendencies and shredding 4 teams with a combined 50 - 14 record in the process. Maybe another is in store where BA keeps his head out of his a** for 120 more minutes of football and we get our hands on another Lombardi.

NW Steeler
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM

We got a January miracle in 2006 when Cowher forgot that he was Cowher and threw the ball early to set up the run, going entirely against his own tendencies and shredding 4 teams with a combined 50 - 14 record in the process. Maybe another is in store where BA keeps his head out of his a** for 120 more minutes of football and we get our hands on another Lombardi.

That's exactly what I said on Sunday night about the game plan for the Ravens. There will be a lot of emotion flowing early, and the Rats will be stuffing the run. I hope that we don't try to force the run against them early. I could see us doing what we did to Indy in the 2006 divisional game. I too think that this game will be close early, but the Ravens will run out of gas and we step on their collective throats in the 3rd quarter. (Actually, I need that to happen for the sake of my own health.) Get past the initial wave by the Ravens D, take care of the ball and we win, 24-6.

Oh yeah, I forgot :ratsuck

AngryAsian
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Why we win on Sunday. We are now committed to the run and I don't know if BA had some kind of epiphany or Tomlin stuck "foot in ass" and told BA to keep shuffling the pieces. Willie/Moore/Russell.... we need to keep this three headed monster suppository shoved so far up the Ratbirds rectum that they'll be able to feel it in their tonsils. This sets up the play action and I like where we were throwing to, mixing it up with some Heath/Hines short and Washinton/Holmes long. I hope by some miracle we do something inventive, like taking Carey Davis out of plays that utilize him in short passing situations... the guy knows nothing about yards gained after the catch. Keep him in the I-formation for lead blocks and that's it. Our short yardage guy is Russell and if you want great penetration through a stout opposing defensive line, put Big Snack as your lead FB, because he sure was pushing people around like rag dolls Sunday. I love what I saw Sunday, but this Ratbird team knows us and in order for us to win, we need to produce offensive sets that they've never seen. We've been predictable all season, and we won our Divisional game because we finally had a game plan that wasn't predictable.

buckeyehoppy
01-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Why we win on Sunday. We are now committed to the run and I don't know if BA had some kind of epiphany or Tomlin stuck "foot in ass" and told BA to keep shuffling the pieces. Willie/Moore/Russell.... we need to keep this three headed monster suppository shoved so far up the Ratbirds rectum that they'll be able to feel it in their tonsils. This sets up the play action and I like where we were throwing to, mixing it up with some Heath/Hines short and Washinton/Holmes long. I hope by some miracle we do something inventive, like taking Carey Davis out of plays that utilize him in short passing situations... the guy knows nothing about yards gained after the catch. Keep him in the I-formation for lead blocks and that's it. Our short yardage guy is Russell and if you want great penetration through a stout opposing defensive line, put Big Snack as your lead FB, because he sure was pushing people around like rag dolls Sunday. I love what I saw Sunday, but this Ratbird team knows us and in order for us to win, we need to produce offensive sets that they've never seen. We've been predictable all season, and we won our Divisional game because we finally had a game plan that wasn't predictable.

We'll see if the Steelers still have more fun stuff up their sleeve. They might, because, quite frankly, we didn't see a helluva lot during the RS.

But a healthy FWP is money in the bank. I like the idea of throwing a number of different looks at the 'Tards. Davis should be used strictly as a decoy and a blocker. The guy plays like he should be wearing a dress. The next time he gets YAC will be the first time.

meninblack
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
The Ravens are beat up. We are fresh. We are the better team on both sides of the ball. I remember the 70's and this has a 70's type of feeling on inevitibility to it. We will smash them on our inexorable march to the chammpionship.

Think 1978. Steelers -28 - Ravens 6.

buckeyehoppy
01-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I think the first 2 or 3 quarters will be within a TD or less. But there is plenty of question about how much gas the Rattards have in the tank. If, and/or when, the 'Tards suddenly stop being effective is when the Steelers should be able to march at will. I don't know when this will happen. I am simply with the majority on this board in believing that it will happen sometime during this game.

I'd be surprised if this game started separating the Steelers from the Rattards before the halfway point of the 3rd. This game will probably resemble a drunken brawl to that point. But it is hard for me to imagine that the Rattards will be able to go all out for a full 60 minutes. This will especially be true if the Steelers take ownership of TOP and grind the ball repeatedly into the middle of the "Vaunted Rattard D".