PDA

View Full Version : Drama Queen my butt

costanza2k1
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09012/941311-100.stm

Big Ben had spinal cord concussion Dec. 28, source says
Monday, January 12, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger used the word "scary" when he saw several of the Steelers team doctors hovering over him on the field and he couldn't feel them sticking a pin in his numb arms two weeks ago against the Cleveland Browns. And for good reason.

Roethlisberger suffered more than what was diagnosed as a concussion.

The Post-Gazette has learned that Roethlisberger actually sustained a spinal cord concussion after he was sandwiched on a hit by two Browns defenders and appeared to hit the back of his head on the Heinz Field surface -- the same type of injury that caused former quarterback Tommy Maddox to temporarily lose movement in his arms and legs in a 2002 game in Tennessee.

It was the reason the Steelers medical personnel removed Roethlisberger's facemask and had him placed on a spinal board when they carted him from the field. Roethlisberger was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, though he quickly regained the feeling in his arms and didn't even remain overnight for observation. He never lost sensation in his legs.

Roethlisberger passed all the necessary follow-up tests, including the IMPACT test administered to players with concussion-like injuries, and played one of his most efficient games of the season in Sunday's 35-24 playoff victory against the San Diego Chargers. Roethlisberger passed for 181 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions against the Chargers

According to several medical websites, a spinal cord concussion can be caused by a sudden and violent jolt and result in neurological deficits. Symptons, though, usually disappear in less than a day, sometimes a few hours, depending on the severity of the concussion.

Earlier this season, Baltimore Ravens safety Dawan Landry sustained a spinal cord concussion in a Sept. 21 game against Cleveland when the crown of his helmet struck the knee of running back Jamal Lewis. He didn't play the rest of the season and was eventually placed on injured reserve.

Maddox was injured in a Nov. 18, 2002 game against the Tennessee Titans when he was hit by linebacker Keith Bullock on a play that seemed relatively harmless. He was taken to a Nashville, Tenn., hospital and remained overnight in a trauma unit with what was diagnosed as a spinal cord concussion.

But, Maddox's brain function returned to a normal within 48 hours and, despite losing all feeling in his hands and legs, did not suffer any damage to his spinal cord. After sitting out two games, he returned to start the final six games of the season, including two playoff games.

First published on January 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
If the PPG has its info right, that should shut some people up, thanks c21k for posting!

JAR
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Bench Ben, start Lefty...

proudpittsburgher
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
People will say what they say about Ben. But every time they say that Drama queen stuff that appears so prevenantly on the Ravens boards, maybe they should focus on these little tidbits about Ben

* Winningest QB in his first five years in the league
* AFCC game in his first season and led team to close out season 15-1
* Super Bowl his second year in the league, including three fantastic games in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl
* Comes back from life-threatening motorcycle accident and apendectomy to start the season to have a fantastic second half of 06 season.
* Quarterback that many include as the benchmark when raving over Joe Flacco, meaning Flacco is good, but not as good as Ben, and never will be I might ad.

But go ahead, call him a drama Queen, I'll just call him a winner of you don't mind.

Oviedo
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
People will say what they say about Ben. But every time they say that Drama queen stuff that appears so prevenantly on the Ravens boards, maybe they should focus on these little tidbits about Ben

* Super Bowl his second year in the league, including three fantastic games in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl
* Comes back from life-threatening motorcycle accident and apendectomy to start the season to have a fantastic second half of 06 season.
* Quarterback that many include as the benchmark when raving over Joe Flacco, meaning Flacco is good, but not as good as Ben, and never will be I might ad.

But go ahead, call him a drama Queen, I'll just call him a winner of you don't mind.

One correction:

* Winningest QB in his first five years in NFL history

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Ben won 13 straight games his rookie year..
Ben has had a broken toe.. or was it?
Ben has had a broken hand.. or was it?
Ben won a SB his second year and made the tackle of a lifetime...
Ben has had his faced cracked after ignoring pleas to wear a motorcycle helmet...
Ben says he forgot to wear his helmet that day....
Ben has had surgery and played the next week...
Ben had a concussion then threw 2 pick 6's against the worthless Raiders
Ben had the best season ever stat-wise....
Ben has had a shoulder injury and has been sacked 40 times on average the last 3 years
Ben has limped after INT's.. then the replay shows no one touched him..
Ben fumbled a QB sneak that hit off the centers butt.. and came up limp...
Ben has won more games then any other QB since he has come into the league...
Ben has looked terrible at times this year.. completely lost...
Ben looked like Big Ben of 2004/05 playoffs last game after his 3rd concussion...

as a Steler fan...
sorry if I think the guy has had a career filled with Drama.... :moon

:tt2

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM

One correction:

* Winningest QB in his first five years in NFL history

with all his accomplishments sprinkle in a few :wft differences with him and Cowher regarding injuries and :wft int's... and you get drama...

dude is the best in the biz.. but look at his career thus far... it's a best seller made for the big screen movie.. near death and come from behind wins...

it is dramatic... and we love it!

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Anyone who thinks he is a drama queen has exactly zero respect for him, or for themselves for that matter.

In that regard you lose my respect.

I don't care what team you pull for.

MeetJoeGreene
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
So, does that article imply that Ben "only" had a spinal cord concussion and NOT a brain concussion? If so, does the spinal concussion only involve motor function and not the brain activity (e.g. decision making).

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Anyone who thinks he is a drama queen has exactly zero respect for him, or for themselves for that matter.

I don't care what team you pull for.

well you know me... fugh it.. I love the guy to death but I also think there is drama with Ben..

signed
-the unrespected,

cause as a fan I can think what I want and so can you

:tt2

steelblood
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
He has been known to exaggerate his injuries. This is a fact. But, generally Ben has been a man and not a drama queen. He has played through the pain many times. I respect him.

Djfan
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Dude. The tile of this thread. I mean, it sounds bad. Kinda like it belongs on the 49ers boards, or on the Ravens men's cheerleader boards, or an offer to Brady Quinn.

Maybe I've been in Cali too long.

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
He has been known to exaggerate his injuries. This is a fact. But, generally Ben has been a man and not a drama queen. He has played through the pain many times. I respect him.

never said I didn't respect him.. but you never know how hurt he is and there is usually some drama surrounding a Big Ben game...is he hurt.. will good Ben or bad Ben show up...
I think it's part of his aura though...

dude is a beast and the best in the game right now... but as a guy who has watched damn near ever Steeler game he has been in... you never know when he is hurt, when he is milking it or if he is playing possum.

when I see someone say "drama queen" I don't think.. Ben is a sissy girl who gossips! LOL!!!

I think they just mean Ben always has a back story heading into most games..

mshifko
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
big ben is a competitor...the guys plays with an AC joint separation and people still question his toughness...it's unreal

i'm glad they posted an article like this however, should shut up a few people

Jooser
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
All the drama queen stuff I read about is always on the Rats' boards. I say if he's hurt he's hurt. It hasn't been his best season, but hey, if he wins the Super Bowl who else cares about stats but, Phillip Rivers. :D

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM

never said I didn't respect him.. but you never know how hurt he is and there is usually some drama surrounding a Big Ben game...is he hurt.. will good Ben or bad Ben show up...
I think it's part of his aura though...

dude is a beast and the best in the game right now... but as a guy who has watched damn near ever Steeler game he has been in... you never know when he is hurt, when he is milking it or if he is playing possum.

when I see someone say "drama queen" I don't think.. Ben is a sissy girl who gossips! LOL!!!

I think they just mean Ben always has a back story heading into most games..

Opposing fans toss around the Drama Queen stuff plenty. I get tired of hearing it. They all laugh at how he is hit more than any other NFL QB, sacked more than any other NFL QB and then they say he is faking and/or playing up injuries.

It's BS when it comes from them and it's BS when it comes from Steelers fans.

Like I said, I have no respect for anyone who propagates this nonsense.

NJ-STEELER
01-12-2009, 08:03 PM

amazing to me is how similiar they sound as our main rival's fans.

pretty pathetic if you ask me

Chachi
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Don't forget his mid season knee surgery (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-11-27-steelers-colts-advance_x.htm) in 2005 on their way to the Super Bowl.

He didn't really need it....it's the "Drama Queen" in him that made him decide to have that surgery.

Steeler Shades
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Anyone who cares what an anonymous poster on the internet thinks about them has exactly zero self esteem.
Anyone who thinks their anonymous opinion of someone who disagrees with them about another person that neither knows personally is worth sharing with an anonymous audience, has an overinflated opinion of oneself. 8)

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
[quote="stlrz d":ye1pub5x]Anyone who thinks he is a drama queen has exactly zero respect for him, or for themselves for that matter.

Anyone who cares what an anonymous poster on the internet thinks about them has exactly zero self esteem.
Anyone who thinks their anonymous opinion of someone who disagrees with them about another person that neither knows personally is worth sharing with an anonymous audience, has an overinflated opinion of oneself. 8)[/quote:ye1pub5x]

Sweet. :)

buckeyehoppy
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
For the record: Ben is NOT a drama queen!

Thanks for reading!

Now, for my open letter to That Imbecile Colbert (a.k.a. our illustrious player personnel gatherer):

Mr. Colbert:

Perhaps people wouldn't think of your US$102M QB as a "drama queen" if you put a real offensive line in front of him that won't have him running for his g-ddam life every other play and won't have him sustaining spinal cord concussions right before the numbnutted playoffs.

Gee, if this is what your US$102M QB can do w/o a sufficient OL, just f---ing imagine what he could do with one! Wow...what a concept.

I'm ranting my head off tonight. But I have said since training camp that the team, as a whole, possesses the talent to win the Super Bowl. Gee, look where we're at now. Turns out I was right. Buy me a beer next time you see me...assuming we win Lombardi #6. That includes the substandard talent on the OL.

If this team can win a second Lombardi under Mr. Colbert's watch then more power to him. But if he wants...dare I say it...A DYNASTY...he will pay attention over the next couple years to his team's most glaring weakness...his offensive line!

NorthCoast
01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
So, does that article imply that Ben "only" had a spinal cord concussion and NOT a brain concussion? If so, does the spinal concussion only involve motor function and not the brain activity (e.g. decision making).

Which leads to the obvious question; why the headaches all week if he suffered a spinal injury? I dunno, maybe the spine is so interconnected with the brain that it all gets jammed up...

theBUS36
01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Big Ben is one tough SOB. An outstanding competitor and one of the best QBs in the game today.

With that being said, I think some fans(my wife included) seem to be confusing drama queen with injury prone. Because of Big Ben's style of play and our pathetic offensive line, He is more apt to get hurt. And Thank god his moniker isn't Lil Ben. :lol: