PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Block

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Anyone else cringe when you saw him setting up for it?

It was a great block, not one of those wussie "I kind of got in your way" blocks, but it scared me. So soon after a concussion it's very easy to have a set back on a big hit.

It was a great block and I'm thrilled he's ok...but dayum did it scare me!

Mel Blount's G
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah sort of, but he looked just a tad more aggresive, throwing some force into unlike the typical wuss QB block where they just lay their body in the way and tighten their sphincter for the moment of impact.

He does it all doesn't he? He needs to catch a td pass from Hines i feel

Djfan
01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
He does it all doesn't he? He needs to catch a td pass from Hines i feel

He could do that too!

Can any of you imagine either of the Manning sisters doing that block?

Now, right now, get on your knees and thank God we have Ben!

flippy
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Considering he was blocking a 300+ lb lineman, I was a little worried.

Not something he needed to be doing especially coming back from the concussion.

But it reminds me, he a tough SOB.

Sugar
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
When people talk about the "Steelers Way" that is the kind of thing I think about. Ben is our franchise QB, but he is first and foremost a football player.

He seemed to throw enough of himself (240+lbs) into the guy that it probably helped him not to absorb full impact (like if the guy had run into a stationary Ben at full speed).

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice block... he could have taken a knee to the head but it really looked like he knew what he was doing... imagine Manning or Romo doing that.. it would be replayed ALL week

and the block was so clean the lineman folded like a chair... it was rather soft yet effective

proudpittsburgher
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Ben tucked his head low, so the only thing that could have happened was him gettign a knee to the helmet. It was a wonderful block and yet another reason I would rather have Ben on my team than Peyton Manning. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Peyton and Brady are by far better passers than Ben, but I wouldn't have any other QB lead my team. None.

ikestops85
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Ben tucked his head low, so the only thing that could have happened was him gettign a knee to the helmet. It was a wonderful block and yet another reason I would rather have Ben on my team than Peyton Manning. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Peyton and Brady are by far better passers than Ben, but I wouldn't have any other QB lead my team. None.

but, but, but he holds the ball too long ... he doesn't throw the ball away ... he doesn't check down ... he throws bad passes ... he doesn't protect the ball. :roll:

He just

WINS

:tt2 :tt2

proudpittsburgher
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

but, but, but he holds the ball too long ... he doesn't throw the ball away ... he doesn't check down ... he throws bad passes ... he doesn't protect the ball. :roll:

He just

WINS

You got that right, my brother. He's got my respect. But there are some out there who will never be happy.

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM

He just

WINS

he does win... but he also had 4 to 5 games where he was doing those things you stated and we were struggling and he was taking punishing hits...

fans can want Ben to play better when he struggles and still be fans?

TallyStiller
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Nice block... he could have taken a knee to the head but it really looked like he knew what he was doing... imagine Manning or Romo doing that.. it would be replayed ALL week
and the block was so clean the lineman folded like a chair... it was rather soft yet effective

It would get replayed all week because such a play out of one of those sissy metrosexuals would never, ever happen. Because Ben is a FOOTBALL player who happens to play quarterback, it's not surprising.

ikestops85
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM

He just

WINS

he does win... but he also had 4 to 5 games where he was doing those things you stated and we were struggling and he was taking punishing hits...

fans can want Ben to play better when he struggles and still be fans?

Most definitely anbody can criticize Ben and point out his mistakes and still be a fan. I just get tired of people who constantly complain about him and immediately call for his benching when he makes a mistake or just arbitrarily blame him for a loss.

It's a team sport and Ben is part of the team. Just like in yesterday's game I don't think Willie all of a sudden regained his form just like I don't think Ben decided to play mistake free football. I think the O-line stepped up it's game that enabled those 2 players to accomplish what they did. This is the first game in a long time that Willie didn't have to spend most of his time avoiding tacklers in the backfield. It was also the first game in a long time that Ben seemed to get comfortable in the pocket without having rushers draped all over him.

I realize that Ben being a QB gets too much credit when we win and too much of the blame when we lose. It's just some on here (not you) seem to take great pleasure in nit-picking his game apart and revel in any mistakes he commits. Those people are not fans IMHO. Since Ben has taken over at QB the steelers have not been below .500 and have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. I think Ben has been an important part of that success and we wouldn't have done as well with another plug'n play QB.

skyhawk
01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I wasn't a bit worried about the block.

When a player proactively seeks a good block rarely are they injured.

Just ask Hines Ward. One reason he is rarely injured. He INITIATES the contact.

papillon
01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Not really, Ben is a football player and football have to block sometime. When you're playing hard good things happen.

Pappy

BigLebowski
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I wasn't a bit worried about the block.

When a player proactively seeks a good block rarely are they injured.

Just ask Hines Ward. One reason he is rarely injured. He INITIATES the contact.

Agreed and Ben is a football player first, and QB second....but I still would rather not see Big Ben blocking or tackling.

eniparadoxgma
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Wasn't worried at all. It was a great block. :tt1

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I was having visions of "a knee to the helmet and a 300 pound body falling on him".

If it weren't for the recent concussion it wouldn't have effected me.

pittpete
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Ben Roethlisberger | #7 | QB

Pittsburgh Steelers

Height: 6-5 Weight: 241

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
The block brought back memories of his block in SBXL on Randel El's reverse pass to Hines. :mrgreen:

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Anyone else cringe when you saw him setting up for it?

It was a great block, not one of those wussie "I kind of got in your way" blocks, but it scared me. So soon after a concussion it's very easy to have a set back on a big hit.

It was a great block and I'm thrilled he's ok...but dayum did it scare me!
I screamed, "GREAT BLOCK!"
He gets worse contact due to poor blocking by the o-line, so no worries here.

stlrz d
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I just didn't want to see a knee to the helmet. That was my greatest fear and I am so happy it wasn't realized.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I just didn't want to see a knee to the helmet. That was my greatest fear and I am so happy it wasn't realized.
We'd all have turned into Bengals fans... (cuz, you know if Carson doesn't get hurt they win the Super Bowl instead of us....)

Slapstick
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
He blocks...

He punts...

He tackles...

He shrugs defenders off...

He takes chances and sometimes makes mistakes...

Ben is old school...just what Pittsburgh needs...

Jooser
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
When Ben made that block, I came outa my chair in excitement. I guess in retrospect, I was a little worried after the fact. But, that was freakin' awsome. Looks like 'Good' Ben has decided to make an entrance into the post season. I take back any criticism of him earlier in the year.

I'm Sorry. http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7749/crybabysmileyop8.gif (http://imageshack.us)