PDA

View Full Version : Why do the refs hate to call holding?

MaxAMillion
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
The non holding call on Harrison (the one where all the crowd was booing) was maybe the worst non call I have seen. Harrison was tackled and nothing happened. It is sickening to watch. The Steeler OL gets calls against them every week. Meanwhile Harrison gets mauled and nothing happens. I honestly don't know how Harrison keeps his composure with what he has to put up with.

RussBII
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
The non holding call on Harrison (the one where all the crowd was booing) was maybe the worst non call I have seen. Harrison was tackled and nothing happened. It is sickening to watch. The Steeler OL gets calls against them every week. Meanwhile Harrison gets mauled and nothing happens. I honestly don't know how Harrison keeps his composure with what he has to put up with.

My only guess is that the refs know that Big Ben can take a hit, or shake one off...

Oviedo
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Easy answer. The NFL wants to increase offense because they "believe" it sells in adding fans and getting attention, i.e. ESPN highlights. In their mind that translates to $$$$$.

In order to do that they have to protect QBs. Having Harrision and Woodley blowing up and possibly injuring QBs isn't on the agenda. Hence OL is allowed to hold to the point of being ridiculous.

stlrz d
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I know it seems more egregious to Steelers fans because they watch every Steelers game and because Harrison and Wood are two of the best in the league, but I have Sunday ticket and watch a lot of football. This is a league wide thing. Outside pass rushers are constantly held and it is rarely flagged. It's really sad.

Oh yeah, I watched as much football as I could before the ticket this season too and it's actually been happening for a few seasons now, gradually getting worse.

:HeadBanger

flippy
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
They called holding on Holmes and Miller.

Northern_Blitz
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Harrison was running backward AWAY from the tackle while being held. If that doesn't get called, nothing will.

But, I bet this is something they talk about in the locker room. You won't get bailed out by the ref, so don't ever give up on a play.

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I think they will never call holding on Harrisons guy...

the NFL would have a very boring game with back ups in...

ANPSTEEL
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Easy answer. The NFL wants to increase offense because they "believe" it sells in adding fans and getting attention, i.e. ESPN highlights. In their mind that translates to $$$$$.

In order to do that they have to protect QBs. Having Harrision and Woodley blowing up and possibly injuring QBs isn't on the agenda. Hence OL is allowed to hold to the point of being ridiculous.

I had a "conversation" with Chem- on another board about this- and he suggested this exact thing.

My question regarding this mentality- is that if it becomes a subjective call- which apparently it is- leaving it to the refs to decide which ones to call, and not call, is WAY too arbitrary, imo.

particularly when it would seem that the penalties are call, more often than not, on big plays. eg... plays for a 1st down, and scoring plays.

skyhawk
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
He is held on every play.

I think part of it is because of Harrison's relatively small size that the holds aren't called.

steelnavy
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM

I think part of it is because of Harrison's relatively small size that the holds aren't called.

Come on guys, it's just your imagination... Harrison doesn't really get held every play, it just looks that way. Now Miller and Holmes, those were blatantly obvious holds! And if they really were holding Harrison like you think you saw, according to Joms112, the refs don't call it because they let our cornerbacks mug the opposing wide receivers every play which evens everything out in the end. :wink:

Saying otherwise might sound like whining... :roll:

skyhawk
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Come on guys, it's just your imagination... Harrison doesn't really get held every play, it just looks that way. Now Miller and Holmes, those were blatantly obvious holds! And if they really were holding Harrison like you think you saw, according to Joms112, the refs don't call it because they let our cornerbacks mug the opposing wide receivers every play which evens everything out in the end. :wink:

Saying otherwise might sound like whining... :roll:

Well I dont think he is held on EVERY play but his small size makes it look like he is ;)