PDA

View Full Version : No more 4th and Goal.

LasVegasGuy
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
We need to stop going for it period. If I have to watch us get stuffed like a Thansgiving turkey again I am going to lose it. We suck at the goaline end of story.

frunko1
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
i don't mind it, they just need to hand it to parker on 4th and goal. It looks like he has his vision back and will push the pile a bit

johnstownsteel
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
We need to stop going for it period. If I have to watch us get stuffed like a Thansgiving turkey again I am going to lose it. We suck at the goaline end of story. only reason i like going for it is it just seems good things happen if the d needs to come in down there and salvage things. granted...the busted for an 8 or 9 yard play this time but on the next snap it was rivers going down woodley style.

SteelTorch
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
We need to stop going for it period. If I have to watch us get stuffed like a Thansgiving turkey again I am going to lose it. We suck at the goaline end of story. only reason i like going for it is it just seems good things happen if the d needs to come in down there and salvage things. granted...the busted for an 8 or 9 yard play this time but on the next snap it was rivers going down woodley style.
Sad thing is, he may very well have gotten it had he not fumbled the snap.

johnstownsteel
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Sad thing is, he may very well have gotten it had he not fumbled the snap.this is true..

steelsnis
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
We need to stop going for it period. If I have to watch us get stuffed like a Thansgiving turkey again I am going to lose it. We suck at the goaline end of story.

Haha, way to search for the one negative thing that happened to the Steelers today and start a new thread about it. Classic.

AngryAsian
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM

LVG,

I can't say "never" go for it. I like the idea of pinning them deep and letting our aggressive defense play stout... I hate the choice of backs. C. Davis? He missed 3 3rd down conversions.

Discipline of Steel
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I didnt mind that they went for it in this case as the game wasnt on the line and i enjoy seeing the D shoot for a safety.

SidSmythe
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM

LVG,

I can't say "never" go for it. I like the idea of pinning them deep and letting our aggressive defense play stout... I hate the choice of backs. C. Davis? He missed 3 3rd down conversions.

I totally agree. Quit trying to be cute. JUST give it to RUSSELL until they stop him

FB's can't get no momentum coming from 3 yards deep. Russell can at least use his momentum at contact to roll, spin or fight for another yard.

NorthCoast
01-11-2009, 10:49 PM

LVG,

You got it....C. Davis on short yardage? The guy has absolutely NO burst whatsoever. Why was he the 3rd down back?? I think this is a classic case of Arians outthinking himself. Moore as shown he is 10x the third down back that Davis is.

BTW, I would go for it early in the game but point the 3 pts after the 3rd quarter.

Tomlin is certainly the anti-Cowher in this regard.

papillon
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
You know guys when Bill Cowher played it close to the vest you b1thced and moaned he should play to win the game. Now Tomlin comes along and he plays to win the game from the opening kickoff and you don't like that. Damn there's no pleasing anyone. I F***ing loved the 4th and goal call, the fake punt and the pooch. Tomlin wasn't about to lose this game by playing passive.

Teams can't just assume that the Steelers will punt the ball if they have a 4th a short and that's a good thing. They ran reverses, screens and other unconventional plays today, some with success and some without. That just makes opponents think more than play.

Man enjoy the 'new' Steelers would ya.

Pappy

LasVegasGuy
01-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Haha, way to search for the one negative thing that happened to the Steelers today and start a new thread about it. Classic.

Did I say I didn't agree with the call? I agree with the call but watching us get stuffed time and time again this season I have seen enough. The post was to say no more 4th and goal we just can't get the freakin' ball in the end zone.

NorCal-Steeler
01-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I didnt mind the 4th and goal but the fake FG was horrible.

AngryAsian
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM

Did I say I didn't agree with the call? I agree with the call but watching us get stuffed time and time again this season I have seen enough. The post was to say no more 4th and goal we just can't get the freakin' ball in the end zone.

NICE!! LOVE IT BROTHER!!

LasVegasGuy
01-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I didnt mind the 4th and goal but the fake FG was horrible.

This call was perplexing to say the least but there was some merit to going for it. We stalled 2 times at midfield and our offense needed some confidence. However, if you are going to risk 4th and short from the 50 why be cute about it with your special teams. Send your starters out there and have them man up. And with the way FWP was running I'm sure he would have picked up a yard. Same thing at the goal line. FWP had the vision today and he would have been a good option at the goal line and this is tough to say for a guy that has no confidence in FWP.

Overall, I thought it was a good game plan and it showed today. Ben was crisp except for a few but he played better then I ever imagined.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-12-2009, 01:24 AM

LVG,

ding, ding!

we're gonna keep going for it because our d is that good. the idea is, we force them to punt, get it back almost in FG range anyway... no harm, no foul... so, why not take a chance at the TD...

get used to it... it'll keep happening... and i like the decision... i don't, however, like the choice of play calls. arians outsmarts himself... just either QB sneak it (if close enough) or give it to russell and let him wedge his way in there.

eniparadoxgma
01-12-2009, 04:46 AM
You know guys when Bill Cowher played it close to the vest you b1thced and moaned he should play to win the game. Now Tomlin comes along and he plays to win the game from the opening kickoff and you don't like that. Damn there's no pleasing anyone. I F***ing loved the 4th and goal call, the fake punt and the pooch. Tomlin wasn't about to lose this game by playing passive.

Teams can't just assume that the Steelers will punt the ball if they have a 4th a short and that's a good thing. They ran reverses, screens and other unconventional plays today, some with success and some without. That just makes opponents think more than play.

Pappy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

flippy
01-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Even the announcers said SD would have rather they kicked the FG and then got the ball at some decent field position.

While I'd like to see us score more in these situations, I love seeing our D take the field with the opposing QB snapping the ball in his endzone.

It fires me up.

Takes the game up a notch.

phillyesq
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Especially in that situation, I really liked the call to go for it. It was a two score game, and a fg wouldn't have changed that. Plus, I'll take the Steelers D anytime against an offense that would have to drive 99 yards against them.

I'm with those that hate the play call, specifically, the use of Davis. Every time he touched the ball, he failed to convert. He doesn't really break tackles, or do enough to fight for the last yard or whatever is needed. He failed on third down conversions, and again at the goal line.

The San Diego D was tired. Giving the ball quickly to Davis actually helped them, IMO, as it gave the line less time to blow them back. I would have given the ball to Russell or Parker to pound it.

I loved the decision, hated the call, but the Steelers won, and for now, I'm going to be happy with that. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

frankthetank1
01-12-2009, 08:35 AM
you have to go for it. grow a pair and go for it. just because it didnt work people second guess. davis should never carry the ball in short yardage. he fumbled the hand off for christ sakes. russell is a great short yardage back. did anyone else see on that 3rd and short he got hit behind the line but still kept his feet and picked up the first down. that was a huge play. russell is the man

MeetJoeGreene
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Tomlin rolls the dice. That is the way he is.

I would have preferred, in yesterday' s situation, to have kicked a FG.

Because that puts us up by 2 TDs.

However, I guess he had complete confidence in his defense at that point.

So all is good in the end.

Oviedo
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Pappy

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Pap--you said it as well as it can. Screw the play it safe BS. We need to start to develop a mindset that we will impose our will on other teams. Keep doing it over and over until it works and keep the other teams guessing.

Give the ball to Russell not Davis. I'd like to see a "jumbo" package with maybe Essex or some other big lineman in the backfield. Better yet trade with Seattle and get Owen Schmitt in the off season.

Slapstick
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
If you are going for it, just give it to Russell...

On 3rd and goal, it was a play action pass...didn't work...

On 4th and goal, it was an inside handoff to the FB...didn't work...it might have, if he hadn't nearly fumbled the ball...but it didn't...

The next time they were inside the two? The gave it to Russell...and he scored...

Go figure...

Northern_Blitz
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I liked going for it both times.

I think would have run a real play instead of a fake punt.

I don't know that I would have given it to Davis on 4th and goal. If I was going to hand it off anyway, I might have put Lefty out there for the QB sneak. But giving it to a guy who never gets it is sometimes a good strategy. On a clean exchange, maybe it's a TD. It's a good gamble. Going for it here eliminates the chance of a kick return, and pins SD on the 1 even if we don't score. I like our D's chances in that case.

All this is after the fact. I like that our coach believes in our team. I think players play harder for a coach like that. Seems to me like Tomlin reads TMQ.

BUT, against the Rat Birds, I hope we take every chance at 3 we get. I think points will be hard to come by next weekend.

ANPSTEEL
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Pappy

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Pap--you said it as well as it can. Screw the play it safe BS. We need to start to develop a mindset that we will impose our will on other teams. Keep doing it over and over until it works and keep the other teams guessing.

Give the ball to Russell not Davis. I'd like to see a "jumbo" package with maybe Essex or some other big lineman in the backfield. Better yet trade with Seattle and get Owen Schmitt in the off season.

what he said :Bow

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll always be OK with going for it... 99 yards on our D is better then 3 points IMO.

of course if down by 2 you kick it.. but in most instances you go... the playbook gets so small and our LB's do great things down there....

ikestops85
01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Pappy

You hit the nail on the head Pappy. Tomlin is showing great faith in his players. He believed that the offense would score and if they didn't he knew the D would hold them. You also have to love how he learned from his mistakes last year. When we had that lead in the 4th quarter instead of the typical hand the ball off, hand the ball off, run a draw play that we were used to seeing and we did against Jax the steelers came out throwing. Even when Lefty came in they threw the deep ball to Sweed which he dropped. :HeadBanger

I loved the fake punt ... it fooled everyone and was just bad luck that SD had a punt block call on otherwise I think it would have worked. The Ben pooch punt was great (did he always kick with his left foot?). The 4th and goal was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned but the play calling in that series at the goal line sucked. We were running on them and Russell has proven to be a bull in short yardage situations so just keep giving him the ball.

feltdizz
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
no more 4th and goal up the gut... FWP walked in on a sweep. Teams play us to go inside..

I think we did have a play action that was covered well... Ben missed Russell but it was too close to take that chance..

Ben played a hell of a game...
I love how the Steeler fans question Ben though.. It's because we know he is this good...

Ghost
01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Love the call to go for it but it's mind boggling the Steelers don't have one damn play to get 1 yard. It's happened repeatedly this year. 1 F'N yard. So aggrivating. With this defense though, you have to go for it and try to put the game away.

Question about the fake punt - is there anyway for someone on the field to be able to tell they are cloming for the block and call the fake off?

Steeler Shades
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
ding, ding!

we're gonna keep going for it because our d is that good. the idea is, we force them to punt, get it back almost in FG range anyway... no harm, no foul... so, why not take a chance at the TD...

get used to it... it'll keep happening... and i like the decision... i don't, however, like the choice of play calls. arians outsmarts himself... just either QB sneak it (if close enough) or give it to russell and let him wedge his way in there.
Great ballsy call. Loved it. As some have said previously wrong back and possibly wrong play but loved the call.

Now against the Ratbirds defense and where 3 points could easily decide the game...
You have to take the points if you are not winning by 10+ points. 8)

skyhawk
01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
ding, ding!

Great ballsy call. Loved it. As some have said previously wrong back and possibly wrong play but loved the call.

Now against the Ratbirds defense and where 3 points could easily decide the game...
You have to take the points if you are not winning by 10+ points. 8)

Yes, it should have been a QB sneak.

frunko1
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
What I want to see on 4th down, is Ben line up, do the drop back like he is going to punt it, then he does a fake kick, and throws underneath to someone.

That could be a huge play.

A fake of a fake. I like it. :tt2 :tt2

btw, sneaking our recently concussed qb just sounds like a bad idea, let the running backs try it.

pittpete
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I was at the game arguing with another fan that we had to go for it.
Go for the jugular and end it.
Kick a FG and then having to kick to Sproles could potentially hand them another gift 4 points.
Worst scenario happened, and our defense held and we had excellent field position.

The bad was giving it to that @$#%$^%& wasteful,no heart slug Carey Davis.
On two previous 3rd downs, the POS failed to fall 6 inches after a reception to get a first down.
When Heath gets hit he falls forward for 3 yards.
When I got home today and watched the TIVO,I saw this non athletic fat crap fumble and almost lose the ball at the goaline.
Not only is he a useless blocker,a non factor on KO returns, body on Special teams, but he lacks any power and goes down like a cinderblock dropped off a pier.
I hope to God this useless turd is not on this team next year.
BTW, going for it on 4th and inches was the right call,wrong back :2c