PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ben/Delhomme

NorthCoast
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Does anyone else think Delhomme's game is looking like a 'Bad Ben' game?? Holding the ball too long, throwing ints, fumbling.

Does Tomlin yank Ben if the Bad One shows up?? I think he won't regardless, unless he is hurt. This team sinks or swims with Ben.

Wolfhound45
01-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I guess you and I are the only Steelers fans that are thinking that. I see Bad Jake and all I can think about is Bad Ben.

NKySteeler
01-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Well wolfie, add one mre to the mix...

... As much as I'd like to believe that Tomlin would pull Ben if he was playing poorly, I don't think it would happen.... Yes, we sink or swim with Ben. ...This could work to our favor, or bite us in the butt. Time will tell.

Chachi
01-11-2009, 12:20 AM
You don't pull Ben unless:

Injury

or

You are ready to go with Leftwich for the rest of the playoffs.

You can't pull Ben because of performance and then have him play in the AFCC (if we win with Leftwich) with any confidence.

Ben has a bad 1st quarter in AFCC game. Pull him again? Or would you just start Lefty?

It's all or nothing. Divisional. Championship. Superbowl. Leftwich.

And, god forbid, we get that far........the **** storm that will rise regardless we win or lose the SB with Lefty behind center......

I want none of that.

frankthetank1
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
if you even consider pulling ben in the playoffs then i guess it was an awful decision by the fo to pay ben that much money for that many years right? i mean they pay him top dollar, elite qb money. i know its only his first bad year (not counting 2006) but still he is a vet now, this discussion shouldnt even be taking place. i really really hope this is ben's worst season and next year he lights it up again. if he doesnt then he needs to re-structure his contract

MaxAMillion
01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
if you even consider pulling ben in the playoffs then i guess it was an awful decision by the fo to pay ben that much money for that many years right? i mean they pay him top dollar, elite qb money. i know its only his first bad year (not counting 2006) but still he is a vet now, this discussion shouldnt even be taking place. i really really hope this is ben's worst season and next year he lights it up again. if he doesnt then he needs to re-structure his contract

The FO is paying the money based on Ben being healthy. The reason this is a question is because Ben is playing with injuries. Many QB struggle after multiple concussions. I am very worried that Ben will struggle after an injury (it has happened in the past).

I think Tomlin will stick with Ben no matter what. If I were him, I would pull Ben if he starts throwing interceptions. That will kill you in the playoffs (as we all have seen). Is Ben seeing the field well? Is he feeling the pass rush? Those are legitimate questions to ask.

If Ben is healthy then there is no chance you pull him. If he shows signs of being in a fog due to injury, I pull him without a second thought.

feltdizz
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM

with a recent concussion yes you pull him... even without one you pull him if he tries to Delhomme it... it sends the message that you will restructure your contract.

I know the situations are different but would you have pulled Delhomme?

I just can't see Tomlin watching Ben tank at home again... but I'm talking 3 INT's in a half not a tough game where the D is just giving Ben fits...

Steeler Shades
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Well wolfie, add one mre to the mix...

... As much as I'd like to believe that Tomlin would pull Ben if he was playing poorly, I don't think it would happen.... Yes, we sink or swim with Ben. ...This could work to our favor, or bite us in the butt. Time will tell.
Add another.
Couldn't agree more NKy, Tomlin won't pull Ben (right or wrong) regardless of how poorly he plays. He is what he is and we can only hope that Ben can put three decent games together....starting this afternoon. 8)

grotonsteel
01-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Ok we pull Ben when he plays a bad half.....what if Leftwich struggles?? Are Steelers going to replace Leftwich with Dixon???

Don't you all think that Leftwich is a backup for a reason?

One does not replace a franchise QB for having a bad game. QB is the most difficult position to learn...timing,reading the defense etc.etc...

Why is backup QB always a fav. person on the team for most of the fans??

feltdizz
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok we pull Ben when he plays a bad half.....what if Leftwich struggles?? Are Steelers going to replace Leftwich with Dixon???

One does not replace a franchise QB for having a bad game. QB is the most difficult position to learn...timing,reading the defense etc.etc...

not a favorite but an option when the starter is coming off a concussion and stinking it up...

what purpose did it serve keeping Delhommme in the AZ game after his 3rd.. 4th... 5th INT?

the "when do you replace Ben" is nothing more then a "what if FWP has 3 fumbles..."
just a "what if." to pass the time.

Big Kahuna Burgher
01-11-2009, 04:50 PM
All I want from Ben is to protect the football and manage the game, let the defense win it,
don't need Great Ben to win with this defense, Safe Ben will do.

TCB
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Unless injured, I play Ben the whole game.

Big Kahuna Burgher
01-11-2009, 04:58 PM

If you haven't noticed Ben is having a very Byron Leftwich like season, Leftwich got a big contract and was thought to be a franchise QB at one time also. He will be a starter somewhere
next season, and if Ben continues to regress, it won't surprise if Leftwich has a better season than Ben.

Do you remember when Maddox replaced Stewart against the Browns? That should answer your question about replacing the starter if he is struggling.

Big Kahuna Burgher
01-11-2009, 05:01 PM
You don't pull Ben unless:

Injury

or

You are ready to go with Leftwich for the rest of the playoffs.

You can't pull Ben because of performance and then have him play in the AFCC (if we win with Leftwich) with any confidence.

Ben has a bad 1st quarter in AFCC game. Pull him again? Or would you just start Lefty?

It's all or nothing. Divisional. Championship. Superbowl. Leftwich.

And, god forbid, we get that far........the bad word storm that will rise regardless we win or lose the SB with Lefty behind center......

I want none of that.

So, you are more of a Big Ben fan than a Steelers fan, if you would rather lose the superbowl, than win it with Lefty to spare Ben's feelings.

NorthCoast
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Can't be happier about putting this topic to bed.

Ben is sharp tonight. No need for further discussion.