PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have a question for the board relating to SD

Hardliner
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
In fact, a few questions, to add to my enjoyment of watching the game between the Steel and the creditcard Chargers which I know pretty well being that they're an AFC West team:

1) You'll be facing the speedy/shifty Sproles as opposed to LT. Sproles will be spelled by Michael Bennett who isn't a slug. How do you account for a 5'6" guy that's hard to find and twice as slippery to tackle in Sproles? Will you have someone key on him?

2) SD will be wanting to test Big Ben and his concussion by bringing guys from all sides like Phillips and Cooper off the edge and relying on Castillo and Williams to cave the middle. Any new protection schemes the HL can look for to avoid this?

3) SD has the huge WRs and TE, Chambers-Jackson-Gates, in hopes of creating poor matchup problems with the Steel secondary. In other words, they like to throw jump balls and have their physical receivers go get the rock. What should I look for in terms of negating this size advantage from the Steel?

Finally, there's Rivers. I've noticed in all the games I've seen him against the Chiefs that he's reluctant to throw to the flats, fearing a pick from CBs jumping the route. I've also noticed that he likes to pump that pattern and go up top to catch a safety napping. Given Polamalu's aggressive play, will the Steel be vulnerable to this action? If not, how do they remedy this Rivers tendency?

I'm pulling for you guys and will be interested in your replies.

Jooser
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Norv, is that you? :oops:

BigLebowski
01-10-2009, 03:50 PM
1) Since Sproles is small and can hide behind the Olineman, our Lbers and Dlineman must stay in their gaps and let Sproles come to them.

2) Is there a team that hasn't blitzed us? Short passes over the middle to Heath Miller and solid running by FWP and Moore will slow down the blitzing of SD.

3) Pressure, pressure, pressure.

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
In fact, a few questions, to add to my enjoyment of watching the game between the Steel and the creditcard Chargers which I know pretty well being that they're an AFC West team:

1) You'll be facing the speedy/shifty Sproles as opposed to LT. Sproles will be spelled by Michael Bennett who isn't a slug. How do you account for a 5'6" guy that's hard to find and twice as slippery to tackle in Sproles? Will you have someone key on him?

The defense as a whole will just be gap-sound. The guys up front will try to force double teams, the LB's will flow to the ball but will stay in their lanes so as to prevent any type of cutback run that would take advantage of an overly aggressive defense, and the secondary will provide solid run support. A non-flashy but ultimately-effective LeBeau scheme.

2) SD will be wanting to test Big Ben and his concussion by bringing guys from all sides like Phillips and Cooper off the edge and relying on Castillo and Williams to cave the middle. Any new protection schemes the HL can look for to avoid this?

In the last game against the Colts, the Chargers either brought the heat on Peyton or dropped back into a shallow zone while only rushing a couple to prevent him from throwing his patented should dump-off passes underneath. Ben will have to recognize early whether they are truly blitzing (and get the ball off early) and when they will be only rushing a few while keeping most in a short zone (good time for a quick pump fake and taking a shot deep to Santonio or Nate).

3) SD has the huge WRs and TE, Chambers-Jackson-Gates, in hopes of creating poor matchup problems with the Steel secondary. In other words, they like to throw jump balls and have their physical receivers go get the rock. What should I look for in terms of negating this size advantage from the Steel?

Ike and BMac are not mighty-mite corners (both 6 feet or over and are willing to hit you in the mouth) so I think they can handle Chambers and Jackson, plus they could use Troy or even Timmons, both of which have the athletic ability to keep up with a hobbled Gates.

Finally, there's Rivers. I've noticed in all the games I've seen him against the Chiefs that he's reluctant to throw to the flats, fearing a pick from CBs jumping the route. I've also noticed that he likes to pump that pattern and go up top to catch a safety napping. Given Polamalu's aggressive play, will the Steel be vulnerable to this action? If not, how do they remedy this Rivers tendency?

Polamalu is not a ball-hawking type safety that has a tendency to fall for pump fakes by trying to jump a route. That is not his style. If Rivers wants to spend all afternoon trying pump fakes and waiting for his big WR's to get downfield, Harrison and Woodley will be bearing down upon him.

I'm pulling for you guys and will be interested in your replies.